Go See Serenity!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I figured we needed another Serenity thread....

You think if Joss started a cult, he'd have any problems getting members?

Saw the movie tonight and thought it was great, but I have seen the series. My Dad went with me and thought it was OK , but he has not watched FireFly.

I have to wonder if you aren't already connected to the characters does it have as much impact? I think it's a well constructed film either way, but it's impossible for me to be objective about it.

I'm getting confused with all these "Go See Serenity!" threads!! Anyway, on another board people have mentioned that the movie is being well received by those who aren't familiar with characters - laughing and crying at the right parts. I even read a review by a critic who loved the movie and then went out and bought the series and was blown away by the series.

There is no way that the movie can truly convey how us Firefly fans know the characters. The movie does a great job telling the story but with only two hours to do it in that didn't leave much for delving deeply into character development. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the movie but I think I could appreciate it more because of how well I know the characters. But, I think people seeing it for the first time will be intrigued enough to check out the series and then they'll really see why this became such a huge cult hit.

In my opinion it must be pretty damn awesome to not know about Firefly, see and love Serenity, and then go and buy Firefly. I mean, how often after seeing a moving do you have the ability to then go out and get an extra 12hrs worth of stories with the same talent?

Must just be a weird, cool, feeling.

I know it sucks that Firefly was cancelled, but from what I can tell Fox didn't like it from day one...

I get really upset when I think about what was 'robbed' from us, but then I just start to appreciate the amazing 12hrs we did get and all is right with the world :).

p.s. who bought the comics? I know I did (all nine covers... and I was lucky enough to get a personalised signature from Joss on one :)). Personally, I believe that if you can read them before your first viewing it would enhance it (I didn't actually do this, though, because I mistakenly believed it would detract). If you haven't read them, your next viewing will probably be enhanced once you have.

I never watched Firefly and I just saw Serenity a few hours ago.

I loved it! Great Dialogue - I think the movie had me at "We're going to explode? I don't want to explode"!

It IS interesting to know that there is background on all the characters that died, it gives this so much more life than, say, the Star Trek Red Shirts that you knew were doomed the second the got off the ship (or sooner).

In fact, I had heard comparisons to Farscape and Babylon 5. One thing all three shows have in common is that in each case the writer or writers seemed to have seen or been aware of second and third string Star Trek and thought, "No thats wrong, forced, etc." They (the Trekdom of Berman/Braga) were always taking shortcuts that forced the view to overlook huge leaps in logic (no pun intended)and entire storylines were based on a piece of Technobabble or something else that was just pulled out of a hat. There's a lot more that I could go into but my brain has been scrambled by a couple of after-movie jumbo margaritas.

Ok, Whedonites, I will be buying the Firefly DVD Box next payday and I intend to go for the Buffy Complete Series box.

BTW, I AM a big Star Trek fan, I'm not bashing it lightly.

And Another Thing!: Where did they get the name FIREFLY???????
I thought it was stupid sounding when the show was on and it certainly had an affect on why I didn't watch. I still don't see how it fits after watching Serenity.

PPPS. The movie seemed to MAGNETICALLY ATTRACT many people that insisted on TALKING through the movie. Jheezhus, people, DO NOT DO THIS. (I promise I didn't throw anything at them, I had nothing loose with me)

Last edited:
Lembas Eater said:
And Another Thing!: Where did they get the name FIREFLY???????
I thought it was stupid sounding when the show was on and it certainly had an affect on why I didn't watch. I still don't see how it fits after watching Serenity.

PPPS. The movie seemed to MAGNETICALLY ATTRACT many people that insisted on TALKING through the movie. Jheezhus, people, DO NOT DO THIS. (I promise I didn't throw anything at them, I had nothing loose with me)

The name Firefly comes from the type of ship it is. It's a Firefly class something or other. The reason for that name is that it kind of resembles a Firefly with it's glowing bottom. This is really shown quite well in the series but wasn't really emphasised in the movie. And Mal names the ship Serenity.

And yes, what the Hell was with all the people talking during the movie?!! I went last week to a later show and the audience behaved quite nicely and this week there were a couple of people both in front and behind me who kept talking quite loudly - and they weren't even kids!!! This is why I usually wait for a movie to come out on dvds before I go and see it. I had to go and see Serenity just to support it but I much prefer the comfort and quiet of my own home.

And remember this complaint about people talking in the theater - that subject comes up in Firefly so keep your ears open for it. It's in the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds".

If Josh ever started a cult, I'd be in the opposite cult. The guy is about as good at making movies as Michael Bay.

But enough Josh bashing for now, I have yet to see Serenity. I doubt my girlfriend would like to go see it, since Pride and Prejudice is running at the same time :sick. That and I could also go see Corpse Bride!!

I had people talk among other things when I went the second time! I couldnt believe it! I was about to do something very bad, they were appauling. they deliberately LAUGHED at all the sad bits, when people died etc.. and had screaming games! My friends and I couldnt believe it!. and they had the most annoying laugh ive EVER heard. :banghead

Thanks for clearing that up about the name FIREFLY. It makes sense now and I got no more problems with it!

Hi guys,
Well... I hadn't planned on seeing this movie. *ducks for cover*
But, I took my brother out for sushi and a movie yesterday and this is what he wanted to see. And...

We loved it! Loved the story and dialogue and characters. And yes, I'm now thinking I need to rent this Firefly series!
nod.gif

OK, there is some kinda conspiracy going on here. I didn't watch the TV series, I did see the movie and really, really liked it and now I'm thinking I'll pick up the Firefly DVD boxset. :D
So, the other night I get in the car and I spend about 2 hours running around to all of the local retailers, Walmart, Blockbuster, Futureshop, etc, etc, and nada, nothing, zero, zilch. There is not a single copy to be found in my world. :confused:
So now I'm thinking that someone, or some group is running around ahead of me and buying up all of the copies in existance (at least locally). And I'm going to have to resort to finding some guy dealing them for three times retail out of an old, oil-burning Dodge van behind the peeler bar at the edge of town. :banghead
OK, so ya got me. Show yourself and let's get this over with.

Firefly dvd

Try Amazon or Deep Discount DVD. I just ordered mine from Amazon, free shipping, no tax, and NO running around burning up expensive gas! :joy

So I saw the movie and loved it.....old news.
So I decided to pick up the Firefly boxset and couldn't find it locally....again, old news. (see this thread, two posts up)
So I decided to put it on my wishlist and if Santa doesn't bring it, I'll pick it up from Amazon......as Migwit suggested.
So today I've got some time to kill and I'm at the mall and there's a new HMV store that just opened.
So I check it out and guess what. One only..... Firefly boxset setting right on the shelf. Yeeeesssssss!
So I'm thinking this is going to be somewhere around $50-$60 (CAN). OK, I can live with that.
So I grab it and look at the price........$49.95......marked down to......$29.95 (CAN).
So needless to say, I'll be watching some Firefly SciFi tonight. WoooHooo

Firefly

Congrats, achteel! Glad you were finally able to grab this dvd set! I just wish the movie had done better box-office. Doesn't look like there will be a sequel after all. I seriously had high hopes that a 'grassroots' effort and positive word-of-mouth would pump up ticket sales after the first week. This movie deserves a lot more support from the sci-fi community... :banghead

Back