PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial On Dyeing

pixletwin
12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Here is a short tutorial on dyeing fabric I found on google:

http://www.essortment.com/all/dyesfabrics_rasq.htm

Entropy
12-11-2008, 11:14 PM
One thing I wonder about the dyeing is whether the stitching will take the dye or not. But even if it doesn't turn out 100%, no loss, right, as the duplicate Hobbit outfits can't be used for much else.

Wor-Gar
12-12-2008, 12:15 AM
One thing I wonder about the dyeing is whether the stitching will take the dye or not.

It generally doesn't from my experience.

pixletwin
12-12-2008, 03:26 PM
http://www.ritdye.com/home.lasso

Blu Falcon
12-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I got this in the mail yesterday

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=190270410745

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4894/495512ot7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

When I received the vest it was actually sort of a light denim blue rather than brown. I don't suppose I could dye this yellow. I'll also need to tailor it to fit Merry's body considering it's sized to fit full-sized 1/6 scale bodies.

pixletwin
12-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Nice find. That really is a nice vest.

Darklord Dave
12-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm thinking that using Frodo's vest to make a pattern and the commissioning a tailor to make the yellow vest may be the way to go. I don't see how that brown vest is going to get anywhere near the color we're looking for from dying, even with color removal first.

pixletwin
12-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I am all for that. I will still try to dye it see how it works though. But yeah, I would pay for someone else to get it done. I keep thinking we should be asking Kevin how he would have done it. :monkey3

Blu Falcon
12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm thinking that using Frodo's vest to make a pattern and the commissioning a tailor to make the yellow vest may be the way to go. I don't see how that brown vest is going to get anywhere near the color we're looking for from dying, even with color removal first.

The vest I got is actually blue and not brown. Color misrepresentation. Sort of like the current Moria Orc fiasco. :p I hear what you're saying though.

pixletwin
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Here is a dye chart:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2391&size=1

I am getting Dark Brown, Yellow, Pearl Grey, Kelly Green, Dark Green, and Teal.

I'll let you guys know how the first round of dyeing goes. :duff

Wor-Gar
12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I am getting Dark Brown, Yellow, Pearl Grey, Kelly Green, Dark Green, and Teal.

I'll let you guys know how the first round of dyeing goes. :duff

What are you dying? Did you get the second set of Frodo clothes to do this?

pixletwin
12-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh yeah. I have everything now but the headsculpts. :lol

Tonight I will just be dying Frodo's vest Golden Yellow (or attempting to anyway).

Wor-Gar
12-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Cool. As you know, I'm convinced it should work, albeit maybe a darker yellow than people will ultimately want.

The bleaching will tell you what color yellow you'll be able to get out of it. Hopefully the vest will bleach out to a faint tan/yellow color, then the dye will enhance what's there. Stitching will be the only problem if it works.

pixletwin
12-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Ok. The vest is done having the color removed (I didn't use bleach) and its turned into a really pale green color (almost pea green).

What do you think? Should I treat it with a bit of bleach? I think it just might take to the Golden Yellow dye yet.

Wor-Gar
12-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Pea green? Weird. Try some bleach, maybe in a small area in back just to test. Maybe the stronger bleach will fade it more. It should.

Personally, I don't like that RIT color remover stuff that I assume you used. It's just not strong enough.

Also, water your bleach down, about half and half. I've also found that the bleach is more effective when watered down some. Not sure why, must be something to do with the material sometimes. If its not bleaching, then try a stringer mix until you get to all bleach.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Let me tell you. Rit color remover STINKS!!!!!!!!! I hope the smell is gone by morning. :yuck

Blu Falcon
12-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Great initiative, Pixletwin! Can't wait to see your results. :thumb

Wha... ? There's no "thumbs up" smilie on this board? :tap

Wor-Gar
12-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Let me tell you. Rit color remover STINKS!!!!!!!!! I hope the smell is gone by morning. :yuck

Yeah, I've found its only good to remove RIT color. :lol

Bleach don't smell so nice either, but it works a lot better and faster.

Don't get impatient though, just keep bleaching until you think the color is faded to its farthest point... then wash, dry and then dye. Keep an eye out on the buttons and the fabric trim, to make sure the bleach isn't eating the material or dissolving the glue on the buttons. If the material starts to feel oddly thin, stop bleaching immediately.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Good news. I bathed it in bleach for about 15 minutes, rinsed, and put it in the dryer and it came out a definite yellow. I will still dye it "golden" yellow but at this point I feel safe in declaring this first dyeing experiment a success. (or its the Rit dye fumes making be believe its yellow :lol) I will take pics and post them tomorrow.

Oh yeah and the vest feels just as thick as it ever did.

Entropy
12-16-2008, 12:53 AM

I had the smell of acetone throughout my house for days when I paint stripped the Gimli head. :monkey4

Blu Falcon
12-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Good news. I bathed it in bleach for about 15 minutes, rinsed, and put it in the dryer and it came out a definite yellow. I will still dye it "golden" yellow but at this point I feel safe in declaring this first dyeing experiment a success. (or its the Rit dye fumes making be believe its yellow :lol) I will take pics and post them tomorrow.

:clap

Now hurry up and get those pics up. ;)

Wor-Gar
12-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Great news! I figured as much, but you never really know until the job's done so thanks for being the first and risking your vest.

Now, before you dye, there's the question of the embroidery...

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I am waiting for my bosses computer to be available so I can upload the pic and you guys can judge for yourselves.

ProgMatinee
12-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I think Merry's vest is probably embroidered.

Embroidery in 1/6 scale will be downright impossible, but it may be possible to do something like embossing with heat to replicate texture.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Tell me what you think.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23081.JPG

ProgMatinee
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
I think thats a major success. Even the brown thread doesn't look bad against the yellow. I'd maybe change or paint the buttons and try something to give it the right texture, but the color works well.

Entropy
12-16-2008, 12:12 PM
It looks sharp. Paint the buttons and it will be a pretty good Merry vest.

I've looked into the embroidery and ran a couple of test pieces and it just looked too messy at this scale.

ProgMatinee
12-16-2008, 12:18 PM
My wife does quilting and scrapbooking and a technique I think observed once was she layed a fabric over a stamp and put an iron over it. The fabric was then left with an imprint of the stamp. I don't know if it lasts or not. She may have spraid it with something at first. I'll ask her.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
That would be awesome if it worked. I wonder what Sideshow would have done? I am inclined to think they would have left it quite plain. But if we can make it posher that would be fantastic.

Blu Falcon
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
:clap :clap :clap

A very reassuring and cost effective modification. Ladies and gentlemen, we have our vest. :)

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Merry's actualy prop vest is a bit pointier at the bottom but I think this works fine.

ProgMatinee
12-16-2008, 12:30 PM
You know what... now I recall I think the stamp thing Michele did was on suede and thats why it held the stamp. All the same, I'll check with her to see if she knows something for other fabric.

Marc, would you mind starting a Merry vest thread with a brief procedural on what you did thus far?

FlyAndFight
12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Pix, that came out sharp!

icruise
12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Looks awesome. I just wonder if the color removal step is necessary or not.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Give it a whirl. I am pretty sure that to achive the same color with bleach would have resulted in orange and if it got to yellow it would be after a lot of soaking and that may have damaged the vest. But I dunno. This is all new territory for me. Give it a try and let us know. The less work the better, for sure.

icruise
12-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig, since we already have a success using your method. I don't want to have to try and track down another Frodo vest at this point.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Frodo's are starting to become scarce. :lol

Entropy
12-16-2008, 01:30 PM
You know what... now I recall I think the stamp thing Michele did was on suede and thats why it held the stamp. All the same, I'll check with her to see if she knows something for other fabric.

Marc, would you mind starting a Merry vest thread with a brief procedural on what you did thus far?

Yeah, after some research, it seems you can emboss on velvet, suede and leather but that's about it.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 01:43 PM
:monkey2........

Oh well. Honestly I am happy with what I got. I am going to take my Golden Yellow dye back to WalMart and exchange it for Dark Green... stay tuned for that! :)

Entropy
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
You didn't dye it with the golden yellow? That's just from color removal?

And I've been doubtful about the results of simply printing a design on the Frodo vest, thinking that a pre-printed fabric or embroidery would look best, but I think that printing a design in a slightly darker shade of yellow on that vest might actually work out well.

Inkjet iron on paper might be the way to go.

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Yup. Just color removal + bleach treatment.

Wor-Gar
12-16-2008, 04:06 PM
That's pretty amazing that you got an accurate yellow from "bleaching" (meaning no dying at all).

I'm glad to know the vest bleaching worked so well, as I've been advocating it since the beginning -- alot easier than trying to 'make' a vest, and its already built for Hobbits. Frodo's coat will be even easier since it doesn't require any bleaching, just a straight dye.

I wonder if the color would be more vibrant with a dip in the yellow dye anyway. Couldn't hurt -- as long as you got RIT yellow dye. Not sure about the names, but one is a canary yellow color (good) and one is a warmer yellow verging on orange.

Dying is good! :D

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I will dye it yellow tonight. :lecture

pixletwin
12-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I have dyed it and it was definitely a success! Pic tomorrow.

Entropy
12-16-2008, 09:50 PM
sweet. :rock

icruise
12-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to it!

pixletwin
12-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Here is a pic of Merry's now finished vest:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23111.JPG

Definitely glad I dyed it because the yellow is much more vibrant now.

King Darkness
12-17-2008, 11:44 AM
YES! A total success!!!!!

Great job Marc! :rock :rock Looks perfect!

So the process is pretty simple, just bleach than dye :rock

What exact RIT yellow did you use?

pixletwin
12-17-2008, 11:50 AM
First, I would recommend getting the Rit Color remover. I am pretty sure it would have ended up more orange than yellow had I not used that. It stinks really bad though and the smell WILL hang around for a couple of days. Did that for 30 minutes then dryed it. It should be a pale pea green color when its done.

Second I soaked it for 15 minutes in a solution of 1/2 bleach and 1/2 water. Don't leave it in for too long or you may effect the fabric's integrity. Then dryed it. It should be a pale yellow when its done.

Third I dyed it in Rit Golden Yellow for about 5 minutes. The solution will be orange but don't worry.

After each step you should hand wash it in some laundry detergent before you dry.

King Darkness
12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
So its:

1:RIT color remove then dry

2:bleach then dry

3:RIT dye then dry

Right?

pixletwin
12-17-2008, 12:02 PM
So its:

1:RIT color remove then dry

2:bleach then dry

3:RIT dye then dry

Right?

You should wash the vest with detergent after each step before drying.

King Darkness
12-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Thnx Marc! I will be doing that at soon as mine come in.

:rock

Great job Marc!

Wor-Gar
12-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Good to see it came out so well. Thanks for risking your clothing, Marc!

:rock

pixletwin
12-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok. I am done dyeing Merry and Bilbo's jackets.

Don't make the mistake I made tonight by drying your stuff in the dryer. There was some (albeit minor) shrinkage. Also the dye exposes the crappy job the factory in China did sewing this stuff together so some of the threads that were hanging around inside nice and hidden come out a bit like nose hairs on an old man.

All told I am happy with it. Pics tomorrow.

DarkArtist81
12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
My Wife HATES it when I use that Color Remover... :lol

But it really does work great. I love the stuff. It works great for any natural fiber. Just be sure that anything you are buying and hoping to dye is not synthetic...

I ran into this problem with my Joker vests. I could not find ANY vests online that were to scale and the correct pattern that weren't synthetic. So I had to either brush on thick paint or spray them to get them green. Which was a freakin pain to do. :banghead

So select fabrics carefully, if possible.

That Merry Vest looks awesome, great work Marc.

pixletwin
12-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Sorry my camera takes sucky pics and I didn't have a lot of time last night to futz and pose:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23141.JPG

I need to iron out his jacket.

ProgMatinee
12-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Pretty good. Still a little bit of brown poking through in certain spots. Wonder if a second bath might help or just a tad darker green?

pixletwin
12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
I may lighten it a bit and go for Kelly Green (which is a bit more like forest green).

Entropy
12-18-2008, 10:40 AM
What green did you use? Did you use the RIT color remover & bleach first?

pixletwin
12-18-2008, 10:46 AM
No. I just dyed it strait. It was Dark Green that I used. I only left it in for 5 minutes so maybe that was the mistake?

Here is Bilbo's jacket which was soaked in the dye for 20 minutes:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23181.JPG

Entropy
12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Maybe it was just the first pic. Both jacket's look darker in that pic.

You dyed Bilbo's vest as well as the coat?

pixletwin
12-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Bilbo's vest is the original Tpybiz vest that comes with Bilbo so no, I didn't dye that.

As for the color of the jackets thats what I can't figure out. Merry's was 5 minutes and Bilbos was 20 yet they both came out the same exact hue.

Entropy
12-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Here is Bilbo's vest which was soaked in the dye for 20 minutes:

Ah, I thought you meant jacket. Was wondering if you'd gone dye happy. :duh

In person, can you see any of the brown color or herringbone texture of the original jacket in the dyed ones?

pixletwin
12-18-2008, 01:09 PM
You can definitely still see the Herringbone pattern. The brown does still show a bit but more as an accent. My camera sucks with colors so here it is much darker looking than it is with the naked eye.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23241.JPG

King Darkness
12-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Got my shipping notice for Frodo and Sam, they will be here on the 24th, so I can start dying :rock

Entropy
12-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Got my shipping notice for Frodo and Sam, they will be here on the 24th, so I can start dying :rock

The King is dead, long live the King!

Don't die, bro. :monkey2

Dye! :lol

Blu Falcon
12-22-2008, 06:44 AM
No. I just dyed it strait. It was Dark Green that I used. I only left it in for 5 minutes so maybe that was the mistake?

Here is Bilbo's jacket which was soaked in the dye for 20 minutes:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23181.JPG

My Bilbo coat turned out to be more dark brown than dark green. I actually prefer how the color of Bilbo's overcoat turned out considering I want Merry's to be distinctively forest green. I didn't remove the original color and didn't leave it in the dye bath very long either. I sped up the drying process by sticking it in the dryer for bit (like pixletwin said, this is not recommended), and then ironed the coat, which brought out the pattern in the jacket quite nicely. I might actually use a different vest for bilbo. I like the color red, but the vest itself just seems cheap when the rest of his attire is better quality. I might just have my mother-in-law tailor that extra vest I picked up and then dye it scarlet.

http://i20.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/b9/23/4955_12.JPG

pixletwin
12-22-2008, 07:48 AM
I still need to iron both Merry's and Bilbo's jackets.

King Darkness
12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
The King is dead, long live the King!

Don't die, bro. :monkey2

Dye! :lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Blu Falcon
12-22-2008, 10:09 AM
On second thought, I'll just keep the TB red vest on him considering it's screen accurate.

pixletwin
12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I actually was pretty impressed with the TB vest. The only things TB got wrong IMO were:

1) Paint apps are OK (not terrible as some pics would have you think)
2) The coat shirt and pants are tailored badly and from cheap material
3) The base body is utter crap
4) Sting and scabbard are of the worst material and the sculpts are crappy.

but

1) The headsculpt is great!
2) The vest is screen accurate and looks nice
4) The back pack and accessories (the Redbook of Westmarch and bedroll) look great and are not out of place at all with Sideshow product.

pixletwin
12-24-2008, 11:30 PM
I dyed Pippin's jacket and pants today and I report it a total sucess. I am very pleased with the colors and I will try to post pics sometime after Christmas. :D

I used color remover on the jacket and then bleached it (pretty much the same thing I did for Merry's jacket) and then dyed it in Rit Teal dye.

pixletwin
12-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Here they are. Tell me what you think:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP2369.JPG

The Ween
12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Wonderful job!!!! I'm terrified to do any dying!!

Entropy
12-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Wonderful job!!!! I'm terrified to do any dying!!

We all gotta die. Nothing you can do about it so no use stressing. :huh

While you're here, you can make some awesome custom figures and perhaps try your hand at dyeing some Hobbit jackets. ;)

The clothes look pretty good, pix. :D

pixletwin
12-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks. I was pretty intimidated at first as well. You just have to do jump in. These were my first attempts at dyeing and trust me, if I can get a passable result so can you.

I also tried color removal and bleach on Frodo's as well as Sam's cloaks but the color is very resilient. However I think I removed enough to get a nice Grey from Frodo's and a nice cocoa brown from Sam's.

We'll see. If you feel too intimidated you could always pay me to dye it for you. :D

King Darkness
12-26-2008, 06:02 PM
They look great Marc! That is definitely Merry and Pip!

What colors did you use again? I am gonna go to walmart this weekend and get the dye I need so could you post a quick run down of all the colors and to which clothing part they will be used on. Thnx

pixletwin
12-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Rit Color Remover used on both Frodo's (Merry's) Vest and Frodo's jacket (Pippin's).

Then soaked the treated materials in 2 cups bleach and 2 cups water for about 15 minutes.

Then I used Rit GOLDEN YELLOW on Merry's vest. Just keep it in the dye till it gets the color you want.

I used Rit TEAL for Pippin's jacket. Just leave it in for 20 minutes.

This time I DID NOT MACHINE DRY them this time. That was my biggest mistake on Merry's jacket.

Merry's jacket and Pippin's pants were both using Rit DARK GREEN. No bleach or color remover needed.

If you have any questions or need help feel free to PM me.

King Darkness
12-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you Marc.

pixletwin
12-26-2008, 10:36 PM
I just attempted to dye Frodo (Merry) and Sam's (Pippin) cloaks. The green of Frodo's cloak is really unresponsive to color remover, bleach, and my attempted grey dye. We'll see tomorrow before I know for sure if that worked, but its not looking good. If it doesn't thats ok. Me and the mother in law will go hunting around fabric shops for some good cloth.

Wor-Gar
12-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Nice work, Pix!

What did you do to shorten Pippin's jacket? Cut and re-sew?

Any chance you can put all 4 Hobbits together for a pic to see how the colors go all together?

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP2369.JPG

pixletwin
12-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Both Merry and Pippin's jackets were re-sewn.

I would be glad to take pics of them all together for you. I'll do it today.

pixletwin
12-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Here is what color Pippin and Merry's jacket should be after color remover and then bleach have been used:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP23401.JPG

And per Wor Gar's request here are the WIP Hobbits with Frodo and Sam:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/500/medium/IMGP2374.JPG

Wor-Gar
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Very nice!!!!!!

See, you can't tell it's reused Frodo clothes at all. They all look unique due to the various color schemes. Once the heads are on, you'll have a brilliant Hobbit line-up, Pix!

And per Wor Gar's request here are the WIP Hobbits with Frodo and Sam:

pixletwin
12-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks WG!

Wor-Gar
12-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Can't believe you're basically done and most of the rest of us haven't even started yet. :lol

King Darkness
12-27-2008, 06:51 PM
GRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEAAAAAAT!

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tony-the-tiger---frosties.jpg

They look perfect Marc! :clap

pixletwin
12-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. Your words are encouraging. :)

icruise
12-28-2008, 12:46 AM
Yep, they look great. You just need a scarf. I hope mine turn out as well.

The Ween
12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
I just hope the heads are worthy of the bodies that you made for them!!!

pixletwin
12-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I am not worried about that at all. :lecture

FlyAndFight
12-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Fantastic job, Pix!!! :rock :rock

If I can get them to look half as good, I'll be happy.

My extra Sam and Frodo arrived today so perhaps I'll start on this project early next year! "yuck, yuck, yuck..." ;)

But seriously, I could almost see the Pip and Merry sculpts on there, in the group shot. Well done.

pixletwin
12-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Merry's right lapel is in great need of an ironing though. Thanks for the compliment.

This weekend I am going to start hunting for materials to use as Pippin's scarf and Merry's cloak (since Frodo's just isn't going to take to the dye).

The Ween
12-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Okay, now.......I'm playing on getting an extra Frodo and I already have an extra Sam, now, is all I need for Bilbo is an extra body, or would I need another whole Frodo or Sam or more parts?

pixletwin
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
For Bilbo is preferable to have an Extra Frodo. Basically what I have is this:

2 Sams, 1 Frodo, and 2 extra Frodo jackets.

FlyAndFight
12-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I've got a feeling we're all going to end up with a hodge-podge of extra hobbit clothing and will end up making the "ear-picking" hobbit with the extras... ;)

The Ween
12-31-2008, 12:15 AM
For Bilbo is preferable to have an Extra Frodo. Basically what I have is this:

2 Sams, 1 Frodo, and 2 extra Frodo jackets.

So I don't need a Frodo for Merry and Pippin, just Bilbo?

Whose shirt is your Pippin wearing?

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit confused by it all. I need to start writing stuff down. :o

thenammagazine
12-31-2008, 01:21 AM
I've got a feeling we're all going to end up with a hodge-podge of extra hobbit clothing and will end up making the "ear-picking" hobbit with the extras... ;)

Surprisingly, most of it will get used.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit confused by it all. I need to start writing stuff down. :o

K...

Bilbo - Frodo
Merry - Sam
Pippin - Frodo
Frodo - Frodo Ex (Weathertop sword for Merry)
Sam - Sam
and an extra Frodo jacket for Merry.

Everything above will be mixed and matched among the customs but picking up the full total will have you completely covered. So in total, 2 regular Frodos, 2 Sams, a Frodo Exclusive and an extra Frodo jacket. ...sheesh, no wonder Frodo sold out! :rotfl

(P.S. JESUS! You should try quoting yourself and seeing all the HTML crap in your post! :lol)

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 08:22 AM

Here is a complete breakdown of exactly what I have done:

Blue came from Ex. Frodo
Green came from Sam1
Red came from Sam2
Purple came from Toy Anxiety

MERRY

1) Sam's Shirt
2) Frodo's Vest (color removed, bleached, and dyed Rit Golden Yellow)
3) Frodo's Pants
4) Frodo's Jacket (lapels altered to be longer like actual costume and dyed Rit Dark Green)
5) Frodo's Weather Top sword and Scabbard
6) Ex. Frodo's Body

PIPPIN

1) Sam's Shirt (with collar altered to be shorter like Frodo's)
2) Sam's Pants (with color removed, bleached, and dyed Rit Dark Green)
3) Frodo's Jacket (altered to be shorter like actual costume prop and had color removed, then bleached, and dyed Rit Teal)
4) Sam's Cloak (color removed, bleached, and dyed Rit Cocoa Brown)
5) Sam's Weathertop sword and scabbard
6) Sam1's Body

Bilbo

1) Frodo's shirt
2) TB Bilbo Red Vest
3) Sam's Pants (dyed Rit Black)
4) Frodo's Jacket (dyed Dark Green)
5) TB Bilbo's back pack, Redbook of Westmarch, and sleep roll)
6) Frodo Sting and Scabbard
7) TB Bilbo Headsculpt
8) Sam2's Body

I hope that makes it clearer. :duff

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Since you can't really get Frodo's jacket anywhere loose anymore its probably more advisable at this point to just buy 1 Ex. Frodo and 1 reg. Frodo (or 2 reg. Frodos if you are doing the Bilbo custom too).

dwing
12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
That's what I strated thinking but I already bought a Sam:monkey2. I can return him to SS but I'll lose the GC I used.

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
You can still use Sam. Pants, Shirt, and body and sword are all useable.

FlyAndFight
12-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the excellent breakdown, Pix! :rock

I "think" I've got most that I need, but I'll have to double-check when I get home.

Actually, I know that I'm missing "2" Frodo jackets, though. (for Bilbo and Pippin)

I wish I had picked up a loose pair from Toy Anxiety when I had a chance... :(

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 11:31 AM
I have a feeling (:D) that they will do some more Hobbit break downs in a few weeks.

Wor-Gar
12-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Pix, can't you use Frodo's shirt for Pippin?

I see on your list that you used 2x Sam shirts for both Merry and Pippin.

I was thinking Sam for Merry, and Frodo for Pippin. Would that work?

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Oh yeah. In fact I modified Sam's shirt to look like Frodo's. I used my actual Frodo shirt for Bilbo. :D

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
and yeah basically Frodo = Pippin and Sam = Merry (at least that was my plan initially) but as you can see it turned out I used more Frodo parts on Merry and Sam parts for Pippin. :lol

Wor-Gar
12-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I just want to clarify for myself as I haven't got all these parts yet and I want to make sure I don't double-up...

Here was my original plan on the basics -- let me know if this is correct:

MERRY:

Frodo JACKET
Frodo VEST
Sam SHIRT
Either PANTS

PIPPIN:

Frodo JACKET (although I'm still looking for one that needs no modding)
Frodo SHIRT
Either PANTS
Custom SCARF

Not counting belts and swords and cloaks and such.

That will work, right?

So I'd need 2x Frodo jacket is all. And a Sam just for the pants, shirt, and maybe some gear.

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Yup, you nailed what you need.

King Darkness
12-31-2008, 02:43 PM
My weak ass Wal Mart only had the yellow Rit and the color remover :mad:

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Try a craft store or a fabric store. Do you have a Michael's Craft anywhere near you?

The Ween
12-31-2008, 03:00 PM
I already have Sam in hand. So I take it I'll need an ex Frodo and a regular Frodo. Is there anyway I can sub another Sam for the regular Frodo and be okay? Or would that just cause me more work?

King.....try your grocery store for the Rit, our Kroger store here carries it.

pixletwin
12-31-2008, 03:02 PM
It would be a start and you would have the Hobbit bodies and thats the most important. Like I said you only need Frodo mostly for two reasons: 1) Sting and Scabbard and 2) his jacket.

ProgMatinee
12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I wonder if the Sam coat can be turned into Pippins? It would need the lapels but it wouldn't need to be trimmed at the bottom.

Wor-Gar
12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
My weak ass Wal Mart only had the yellow Rit and the color remover :mad:

Try Rite-Aid too if you have 'em. They usually carry alot. Or Target also.

King Darkness
12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
All I really have around here is a WalMart Walgreens and some grocery stores. I will check out a couple other places tomorrow.

thenammagazine
12-31-2008, 07:49 PM
I wonder if the Sam coat can be turned into Pippins? It would need the lapels but it wouldn't need to be trimmed at the bottom.

Negative. Sam has a sweater.

The Josh
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
So Pix if I buy a second Frodo and Sam can I send them to you and have you do this? I could pay of course but I know I won't be able to make it look that good.

pixletwin
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I would be glad to.

The Josh
01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
I would be glad to.

Sweet!! I will gather me a couple extra hobbits then.

King Darkness
01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Son of a ^^^^^!!!

I searched the whole f'n town and not one freakin place has Teal Rit:mad:

I did get everything else though.

Wor-Gar
01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Son of a ^^^^^!!!

I searched the whole f'n town and not one freakin place has Teal Rit:mad:

I did get everything else though.

Can't you order it online?

King Darkness
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Can't you order it online?

:dunno

A box is only like a $1.30, shipping would probably cost me $6 :lol

Wor-Gar
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
:dunno

A box is only like a $1.30, shipping would probably cost me $6 :lol

Maybe if Pix has enough Teal dye, and time, he'll do it for you. Or if he happens by another box of Teal RIT at the store, pick it up for you.

I must admit, I've never seen Teal dye myself either, at least I never noticed it when I do my RIT shopping.

King Darkness
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I think Marc is lying to us to make us crazy, theres probably no such thing as Teal Rit :dunno

Marc, can you help me out somehow?

pixletwin
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
We have lots of Teal. Maybe Utah hordes them?

King Darkness
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
F'n Mormons :mad:

pixletwin
01-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Mine is called Teal.

pixletwin
01-07-2009, 10:12 AM
http://images.builderssquare.com/Detail/0/6/634/6634932_Detail.jpg

carbo-fation
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Phew!! Finally finished reading through this thread. Pix, amazing job on the Hobbits!!:google

There's no way I can make them look as good as yours. :lol I am probably going have you do it, if you don't mind.
So for now, I need two extra Frodos and one Sam along with a Toybiz Bilbo. Not to mention the Roto Gimli. Argh.....that's what I get for forgetting about this secret commission.

The Josh
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I got a second Sam coming via GC. Jumped on the WL for a regular Frodo. Do have to pick up another jacket from Frodo though then I'll be sending them all to you pix.

carbo-fation
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Blue came from Ex. Frodo
Green came from Sam1
Red came from Sam2

MERRY

1) Sam's Shirt
3) Frodo's Pants
4) Frodo's Jacket (lapels altered to be longer like actual costume and dyed Rit Dark Green)
6) Ex. Frodo's Body

PIPPIN

3) Frodo's Jacket (altered to be shorter like actual costume prop and had color removed, then bleached, and dyed Rit Teal)
6) Sam1's Body

Bilbo

1) Frodo's shirt
2) TB Bilbo Red Vest
7) TB Bilbo Headsculpt
8) Sam2's Body

Just for further clarification, I need

1 Sam (regular) for Pippin
1 Frodo (regular) for Merry
1 Frodo (exclusive) for Bilbo
1 ToyBiz Gimli

Am I missing anything? I went through this thread rather quickly so forgive me for asking stupid/redundant questions.:o

pixletwin
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
you'll need one more frodo jacket.

carbo-fation
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks dude. Let the hunt begin.:rock

The Josh
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
you'll need one more frodo jacket.

Right 1 Sam and 1 Frodo complete and one extra Frodo Jacket. Gimli arrived today and is being sent out shortly for work.

carbo-fation
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
You'll need two Frodos Josh if you're thinking about making a Bilbo custom as well.

The Josh
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I might do that. Right now though I'm going to focus on just Merry & Pippin.

carbo-fation
01-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Got an exclusive Samwise and Frodo. Just a few more things and I am there.:D

pixletwin
01-10-2009, 12:33 AM
:rock :rock :rock

The Josh
01-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Sam #2 is on his way. WL for Frodo #2 through SS. Still need another Frodo Jacket. Plus now I want to do some work to Aragorn so I'm gonna end up having to get another Boromir I think. Oh yeah plus another Elven cloak for my TB Gimli.

carbo-fation
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Would it be possible to use Frodo's shirt for Merry/Pippin instead of Sam's? According to the above tutorial, both Merry and Pippin use Sam's shirt, but I really don't want to buy another shirt if I can help it.:o

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Well you could definitely use Frodo's for Pippin. But Merry's has the big collar. I guess it really just depends on how accurate you want it to be.

The DiD Sam shirt might be a good alternative: http://shop.toyanxiety.net/product.sc?categoryId=495&productId=5218 and its currently In stock at TA.

The Josh
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
Shoot I didn't notice that. I have 1 sam coming and 2 Frodo's. So yeah I don't want to buy a second Sam. So I'll just use Frodo's shirt of Frodo 2.

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Honestly, Frodo shirt is passable as Merry, you'll just need to futz with it a bit. I just tried,. it looked fine for Merry.

The Josh
01-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Honestly, Frodo shirt is passable as Merry, you'll just need to futz with it a bit. I just tried,. it looked fine for Merry.

I was just trying to think what futzing I would have to do. Shouldn't be real hard to make it accurate I wouldn't think. Can I ask for that to be added to the list for things when they arrive? :lol

carbo-fation
01-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, I noticed Kozin still has sam shirt for $4. I'll just get one of those.

pixletwin
01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
I was just trying to think what futzing I would have to do. Shouldn't be real hard to make it accurate I wouldn't think. Can I ask for that to be added to the list for things when they arrive? :lol

You know it. :lol

The Josh
01-16-2009, 09:54 AM
You know it. :lol

Thanks! I know I'm a pain. :lol

The Ween
01-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Once you get a scarf for Merry it probably wouldn't really matter.

jason2885
01-18-2009, 12:16 AM
With the whole dyeing clothing thing. Does anyone think they would be willing to do this for members. Like a bunch of us could send you the clothing we needed dyed and then one person could do a bunch of them and we could chip in some money for their time and expenses. Im just not sure I will be able to do this and I dont want to screw it up and Im sure there are some others like me. Anyway just a thought and if anyone would be willing to dye the clothing for me please let me know your price for doing so.

pixletwin
01-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I am doing dying for a few guys in here. PM me and we'll work something out. It would be easier and cheaper for me to to all the dyeing in one sitting.

carbo-fation
01-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I should have everything by mid-next week, Marc, just an fyi.:D:rock

pixletwin
01-18-2009, 12:50 PM

King Darkness
01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
I got my other Frodo Marc, so I will probably be sending out my jackets to you too soon:rock

jason2885
01-18-2009, 06:42 PM
I bought my last Frodos today so I can now should have them soon to send off. I need to still find a Gandalf pouch staff and one more Sam shirt.

So is there a comprehensive list of all the pieces that need to be dyed.

Also has anyone come up with anything on Merrys cloak yet?

pixletwin
01-18-2009, 09:25 PM
There is a complete recipe in here (the color coded one... I can't remember where I posted it.. if someone could help me out here).

Per merry's cloak, I am on the look out for adequate material since Frodo's green cloak won't work. My mother in law is going to alter the design of Frodo's slightly and I'll post the results here when its done.

jason2885
01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
There is a complete recipe in here (the color coded one... I can't remember where I posted it.. if someone could help me out here).

Per merry's cloak, I am on the look out for adequate material since Frodo's green cloak won't work. My mother in law is going to alter the design of Frodo's slightly and I'll post the results here when its done.

So I looked at the list and I think the following is all that we need to have altered

3X Frodo's Jacket (Dark Green, Teal, Dark Green)
1X Sam's Shirt (altered collar)
2X Sam's Pants (Dark Green, Black)
1X Sam's Cloak (Cocoa Brown)
1X Frodo’s Vest (Golden Yellow)

That doesnt really sound to bad. Pix will you also do alterations on the clothes too. I dont know how to sow.

Anyway would it be possible to use a pair of Frodo pants in place of one pair of Sam Pants.

I am trying to with what I have left over make a Two Towers Frodo and Sam.

I will now own 2 Exclusive Frodos 3 Exclusive Sams and 2 Regular Frodos

I also now have a ton of Lembas bread.

pixletwin
01-19-2009, 10:10 PM
My mother in law will later them. PM me if you are interested. :duff

jason2885
01-20-2009, 03:54 PM
My mother in law will later them. PM me if you are interested. :duff

Pm sent about getting the hobbit clothes dyed.

pixletwin
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Ooops. I read your PM this morning and forgot to write back. PM sent. :o

The Josh
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Both Frodo's arrived today and I already have Sam. Those three plus the Orc head from Boromir which arrived last night will be on their way to you soon Pix.

pixletwin
01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
:)...............

carbo-fation
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Can I use Frodo's pants instead of Sam's for the Bilbo kit-bash? I really don't want to purchase another item if I can avoid it.

jason2885
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Has anyone figured out anything to do for Merry's cloak.

pixletwin
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Can I use Frodo's pants instead of Sam's for the Bilbo kit-bash? I really don't want to purchase another item if I can avoid it.

Yes Sam's pants work fine for Bilbo (and are in fact what my Bilbo wears).:duff

Has anyone figured out anything to do for Merry's cloak.

I was going to use Sam's or Frodo's cloak but neither of them take to grey very well so I am on the lookout for the right material. I let everyone know when I find it.

carbo-fation
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I meant if I could replace Sam's pants with Frodo's? Otherwise I'd have to purchase another Sam. So you think Frodo's pants would work, too?

pixletwin
01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Still ok. Bilbo's pants are black so Frodo's pants are still a color that will stick just fine. :)

carbo-fation
01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Sweet! Thank you!:D
Just waiting on Sam's shirt and then that should do it. Phew....

pixletwin
01-27-2009, 09:54 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you want me to dye Sam's cloak into Pippin's please DO NOT FORGET to include it with the jackets and pants and vests.

pixletwin
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Just thought I should bump this recpie.

Blue came from Ex. Frodo
Green came from Sam1
Red came from Sam2

MERRY

1) Sam's Shirt
3) Frodo's Pants
6) Ex. Frodo's Body

PIPPIN

6) Sam1's Body

Bilbo

1) Frodo's shirt
2) TB Bilbo Red Vest
7) TB Bilbo Headsculpt
8) Sam2's Body

King Darkness
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
:moon :moon :moon

jason2885
01-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I am waiting for all of my hobbits to arrive and I plan to ship them off to be dyed. Cant wait to have a headless Merry and Pippin.

King Darkness
01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Sent out the stuff today Marc :rock

DarkArtist81
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
You know?... everytime I see this thread title I always think it's a "tutorial on how to die". :lol

Step 1: put gun in mouth

Step 2: Pull trigger. http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4984/161246559546686fcece1cayg4.gif

You are now dead, have a nice day. :D

carbo-fation
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Sent out the stuff today Marc :rock

Awesome! I am hoping to do the same as soon as he replies back to my PM.:D

pixletwin
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Did you send me PM?

I haven't received it.

pixletwin
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
ok found it. :lol

Your list of stuff you are sending looks right, but you don't need to send the pants for Merry since they are the exact same color as Frodo's, so no dye is needed. :duff

The Josh
02-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Stuff sent to ya yesterday Marc. Enjoy the Orc head.

pixletwin
02-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks Josh. its the one piece of LOTR I don't have. :rock

The Josh
02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks Josh. its the one piece of LOTR I don't have. :rock

No problem!! Thanks for doing this and now you are complete. :rock

pixletwin
02-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Hey King, I got your box of Hobbit clothes today. Last to pay but first to arrive. :lol

ProgMatinee
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
LOL. ME SLOOOOOOWWWWWWW.

I'll get mine out tomorrow. Should I be sending the cloaks too?

Thanks again Marc!

pixletwin
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Send one Sam cloak. That dyes to a nice Brown for Pippin.

The Josh
02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
I just sent you everything Pix. Figures and all since they where all still factory sealed.

pixletwin
02-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Seriously?

You do realize I will have to charge for shipping them back, right? :lol

The Josh
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Seriously?

You do realize I will have to charge for shipping them back, right? :lol

Yes on both. :lol I was too lazy to open them all up and undress them. :lol

pixletwin
02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
:lol

Well that will just make it extra fun for me. I'll leave the heads on... though my Kurgan instinct may require that I behead them. :devil

The Josh
02-02-2009, 09:36 AM

Well that will just make it extra fun for me. I'll leave the heads on... though my Kurgan instinct may require that I behead them. :devil

Have fun with it.:rotfl If you want the heads you're more than welcome to keep them.

King Darkness
02-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey King, I got your box of Hobbit clothes today. Last to pay but first to arrive. :lol

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

The Ween
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I just got the notice that SSC is shipping my Frodo jacket.

pixletwin
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM