Tutorial On Dyeing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I wonder about the dyeing is whether the stitching will take the dye or not. But even if it doesn't turn out 100%, no loss, right, as the duplicate Hobbit outfits can't be used for much else.

I'm thinking that using Frodo's vest to make a pattern and the commissioning a tailor to make the yellow vest may be the way to go. I don't see how that brown vest is going to get anywhere near the color we're looking for from dying, even with color removal first.

I am all for that. I will still try to dye it see how it works though. But yeah, I would pay for someone else to get it done. I keep thinking we should be asking Kevin how he would have done it. :monkey3

I'm thinking that using Frodo's vest to make a pattern and the commissioning a tailor to make the yellow vest may be the way to go. I don't see how that brown vest is going to get anywhere near the color we're looking for from dying, even with color removal first.

The vest I got is actually blue and not brown. Color misrepresentation. Sort of like the current Moria Orc fiasco. :p I hear what you're saying though.

Here is a dye chart:

watermark.php

I am getting Dark Brown, Yellow, Pearl Grey, Kelly Green, Dark Green, and Teal.

I'll let you guys know how the first round of dyeing goes. :duff

Oh yeah. I have everything now but the headsculpts. :lol

Tonight I will just be dying Frodo's vest Golden Yellow (or attempting to anyway).

Cool. As you know, I'm convinced it should work, albeit maybe a darker yellow than people will ultimately want.

The bleaching will tell you what color yellow you'll be able to get out of it. Hopefully the vest will bleach out to a faint tan/yellow color, then the dye will enhance what's there. Stitching will be the only problem if it works.

Ok. The vest is done having the color removed (I didn't use bleach) and its turned into a really pale green color (almost pea green).

What do you think? Should I treat it with a bit of bleach? I think it just might take to the Golden Yellow dye yet.

Pea green? Weird. Try some bleach, maybe in a small area in back just to test. Maybe the stronger bleach will fade it more. It should.

Personally, I don't like that RIT color remover stuff that I assume you used. It's just not strong enough.

Also, water your bleach down, about half and half. I've also found that the bleach is more effective when watered down some. Not sure why, must be something to do with the material sometimes. If its not bleaching, then try a stringer mix until you get to all bleach.

Let me tell you. Rit color remover STINKS!!!!!!!!! I hope the smell is gone by morning. :yuck

Yeah, I've found its only good to remove RIT color. :lol

Bleach don't smell so nice either, but it works a lot better and faster.

Don't get impatient though, just keep bleaching until you think the color is faded to its farthest point... then wash, dry and then dye. Keep an eye out on the buttons and the fabric trim, to make sure the bleach isn't eating the material or dissolving the glue on the buttons. If the material starts to feel oddly thin, stop bleaching immediately.

Good news. I bathed it in bleach for about 15 minutes, rinsed, and put it in the dryer and it came out a definite yellow. I will still dye it "golden" yellow but at this point I feel safe in declaring this first dyeing experiment a success. (or its the Rit dye fumes making be believe its yellow :lol) I will take pics and post them tomorrow.

Oh yeah and the vest feels just as thick as it ever did.

Back