PDA

View Full Version : Pippin's Scarf

ProgMatinee
12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Thread for pictures, custom ideas, etc for Pippin's special scarf.

Link to a knitter's pattern and suggestion for a 1:1 scale scarf.
http://knitterstalk.com/showthread.php?tid=29
Another link to a different knitter. Also has reference photos.
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/KnitScarf.htm

pixletwin
12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Are there any exampled of 1:6 scarves? I can't think of any examples.

ProgMatinee
12-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Dr. Who customizers may be able to do this one.

Wor-Gar
12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
There's tons of scarfs (scarves?) made for Barbie and plush bears, etc. Just got to search for a scarf that is close in design and/or takes dye to make it right. Going the "Barbie" way won't be ideal. Salvageable at best. I've been searching and I've found some that might work but the pattern isn't correct.

What we need is a custom scarf. Or material that we can buy in a large 'sheet' and cut off several lengths to make our own scarf.

Last possibility is to find a plain white scarf or suitable material and "print" the color and pattern on the material.

We could be relying heavily on this printable method... I know it works well for small labels and badges, but I have no ideal how well it works on larger items like shirts and vests. Plus, in the vest's case, it will have to print on the colored or dyed vest because I imagine you can't dye a fabric once its been 'printed' on.

pixletwin
12-11-2008, 01:47 PM
...I imagine you can't dye a fabric once its been 'printed' on.

You are correct there.

One challenge as well is finding a material which drapes nicely. I really don't want Pippin with a goofy starched scarf that doesn't look natural.

Is there anyway we can contact Kevin Ellis and see what his solution might have been?

Entropy
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Kniting the pattern seems impractical and prolly too difficult in this scale. :confused:

My inclination is to hand dye the pattern using inks and brushes. If it were a white cotton scarf I know the pattern could be selectively dyed in spots, but I wonder if the main color of the scarf could be dyed around it and still look uniform in color? I wonder about getting a tight weave and good fringe.

This is the only 1:6 scarf I've seen, and not quite ideal. a bit heavy looking, wide, and the fringe isn't in scale.
I think an actually knit scarf is not the right look as the weave is so tight of the screen used one. The right patterned bit of fabric cut & sewn into strips with fringe added I think is the right way to go.

http://ebay.d-artstudios.com/scarf/5.jpg

FlyAndFight
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
The idea is not to recreate but to emulate. That goes for all 1/6th articles of clothing.

For those of you that have different 1/6th figures in your collection, take a moment to view them all in a different light. Look at the different materials that make up their clothing and see if there is any, regardless of the color, that emulates the scarf material, inregards to knit or pattern.

In looking over my figures, I noticed that the inner robe of Palpatine has a good texture for a scarf. Heck, even the material used for the Jedi robes would be pretty good. I'm not about to start cutting these items up, but can try looking for similar patterns at a fabric store. Just an idea.

ProgMatinee
12-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Here's the best thing I can think of thus far.

A blue/grey strip of cotton cut double wide, then folded and sewn into a "tube".

Using a "<<<" shaped stamp cut from cork, stamp the colored hounds tooth pattern onto the fabric. To get a varying color in the "<<<" pattern, dip the stamp into a swirl of purple and gold.

Finally, hand sew/knot single threads at the ends for the fringe.

The Ween
12-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Go on eBay and put in a search for Barbie Scarf. You'll see all kinds of examples.

ProgMatinee
12-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Go on eBay and put in a search for Barbie Scarf. You'll see all kinds of examples.

http://www.ssb5.net/users/75689/2008_0505bisi0005.jpg

This is very much what I am proposing above. You'll see that its basically a double wide cloth, folded and sewn shut. It looks like the fringe is actually placed inside the folded scarf prior to being sewn shut. Good idea. Hardest part will be sewing a straight line...lol. Also getting the stamped pattern right.

I'll try to make this over the weekend with some fabric my wife has sitting around. One thing I would probably do that the picture above didn't is flip the thing inside out after sewing the side to hide the seam.

If I can do this satisfactorily, are people willing to buy it or is this something everyone wants to do themselves?

pixletwin
12-12-2008, 08:19 AM
If you can make it and it looks good I'll buy one.

thenammagazine
12-12-2008, 02:53 PM
isn't Sam wearing a knitted-like sweater? Is there any way we could potentially convert the sleeves of that into the scarf?

FlyAndFight
12-12-2008, 03:04 PM
isn't Sam wearing a knitted-like sweater? Is there any way we could potentially convert the sleeves of that into the scarf?

Good catch! Will have to check it out when I get home.

pixletwin
12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Well I am getting an extra sam sweater that will be fodder so I can give it a try

Entropy
12-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Here's the best thing I can think of thus far.

A blue/grey strip of cotton cut double wide, then folded and sewn into a "tube".

Using a "<<<" shaped stamp cut from cork, stamp the colored hounds tooth pattern onto the fabric. To get a varying color in the "<<<" pattern, dip the stamp into a swirl of purple and gold.

Finally, hand sew/knot single threads at the ends for the fringe.

This is a good idea and printing the pattern is the most likely solution that SS would've used but I'm worried it would come out looking like the Hot Toys Joker tie which I do not care for.

The Ween
12-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Isn't Sam's sweater too dark for Pip's scarf?

Blu Falcon
12-13-2008, 02:50 PM
My mother-in-law who lives with us loves to sew and knit. My wife has taken an interest in this project and volunteered to help me engineer clothing for my figures. I was sort of hoping to see what I could scrounge up on ebay and modify the clothing a bit.

pixletwin
12-13-2008, 04:11 PM
My mother-in-law who lives with us loves to sew and knit. My wife has taken an interest in this project and volunteered to help me engineer clothing for my figures. I was sort of hoping to see what I could scrounge up on ebay and modify the clothing a bit.

LOL Almost word for word my plans too. My mother-n-law also lives with us and is a seamstress and I was going to ask her to help me alter the existing SS hobbit clothes. :lol

Blu Falcon
12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
We should coordinate our efforts and collaborate.

ProgMatinee
12-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I have made progress on the scarf. I am happy with the tubular inside out method. Currently trying to figure out the fringe.

pixletwin
12-15-2008, 09:31 AM
What material are you using Eric? Sam's sweater?

ProgMatinee
12-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, the test thus far has been just some scraps of cotton. The color is all wrong, but its just practice.

There is a weave in Pippins scarf, but its so tight that at 1/6 scale its almost unrecognizable. As I'm working this, I decided that I would MUCH MUCH rather err on making the weave invisible than making it too big. So, hand weaving like some of the Dr. Who customizers are doing is not viable. I am finding that plain cotton that my wife uses in quits is pretty acceptable weave, though its a bit stiff. Ideally, the material I think looks the best is actually t-shirt material. But the problem is that it is so soft and stretchy its a pain in the ass to cut and sew straight.

I think we can easily come up with something without butchering a existing product. I'm hoping by next Monday I have the formatting done and it becomes just a matter of finding the right color.

Oh yeah, one thing to note, the scarf is actually quite small. Much shorter than probably any of us would wear a scarf. Its actually making the wrapping, tying a slight chore.

I may recommend sending this out pinned in place to slip over the neck while the head is off.

pixletwin
01-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey eric, have you had any progress on the scarf?

ProgMatinee
01-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Unfortunately, I've been lazy on this one. I got stuck on the fringe and never moved forward.

carbo-fation
01-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I guess Pippin's scarf is the only thing remaining for the outfit. Everything else has been figured out already.

By the way, you guys are amazing for doing everything with such efficiency.:bow

carbo-fation
01-14-2009, 04:27 PM
Any update on the scarf, from anyone? I think this is the last piece of the puzzle and then we should have everything set to go.

ProgMatinee
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
The only other thing is maybe the Pippin shirt detailing....?

pixletwin
01-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I think nam hit on a very good and very inexpensive solution for the scarf. I think he is still tweaking it a bit so I'll let him report on it when he is ready. But it really is quite an obvious solution.

pixletwin
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
The only other thing is maybe the Pippin shirt detailing....?

I have decided since the shirt is mostly obscured by the jacket and scarf I am not going to bother with it unless someone hits on a really awesome way of doing it.

ProgMatinee
01-14-2009, 04:31 PM
The hardest part by far is the fringe.

carbo-fation
01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
That's great news. I can't wait to see what the nam comes up with. He's really on top of this commission.:rock

pixletwin
01-14-2009, 04:35 PM
The hardest part by far is the fringe.

The fringe is easy. Just go to your local cross stitch store and find the right thread colors.

The hard part is finding a material that is the right weight and look which looks natural when tied (and not bulky like, for example, I have seen some Tom Baker customs look). I know exactly what kind of material I am looking for and if thenam's experiment doesn't turn out then I'll report on my progress. In anycase if I find something I will let you guys know.

ProgMatinee
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
The fringe is easy. Just go to your local cross stitch store and find the right thread colors.

The hard part is finding a material that is the right weight and look which looks natural when tied (and not bulky like, for example, I have seen some Tom Baker customs look). I know exactly what kind of material I am looking for and if thenam's experiment doesn't turn out then I'll report on my progress. In anycase if I find something I will let you guys know.

Ehh. I don't know. I was trying to do it without just knotting a ton of strings at the end. I was trying to embed the strings within the scarf and then they seem to come out so you wouldn't have a bunch of knots showing. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

I think the part you think is hard is the easy part. I just used some of my wife's extra quilting fabric and it seemed fine. I'll bring a picture tomorrow.

thenammagazine
01-14-2009, 06:00 PM
That's great news. I can't wait to see what the nam comes up with. He's really on top of this commission.:rock

Commission? Did someone say commission?! :confused: Wow, someone's actually paying me for doing all this custom work?! :D :p

ProgMatinee
01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2706
Sorry about the horrible fabric...:lol
What do you guys think of the size and how its laying?

pixletwin
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
I think it sits very well on the figure. Could be about 1/4 inch longer though I think... maybe with fringe it would look the right length... Bravo.

Now to find the right material. Because Pippin is not wearing a floral pattern. :lol

ProgMatinee
01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Only cause he left it at the Green Dragon a few days before the adventure.

The length depends on how you wrap it, I just did a simple one. I have no clue how its done in the film.

thenammagazine
01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=2706
Sorry about the horrible fabric...:lol
What do you guys think of the size and how its laying?

Looks like someone's been enjoying the Mencia video I posted in the How To thread. :p

ProgMatinee
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Don't get it.

pixletwin
01-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Its a video from Comedy Central about a homosexual jack sparrow.

thenam is making a joke about the scarf looking effeminate. :p

ProgMatinee
01-15-2009, 10:55 AM
I see. Well, you do know Sam and Frodo...

pixletwin
01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Not in the biblical sense.... no. :monkey1

thenammagazine
01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Its a video from Comedy Central about a homosexual jack sparrow.

thenam is making a joke about the scarf looking effeminate. :p

WRONG! Not the scarf, just the pattern. :lol

And Prog, I think "Biblically," Sam'd be the "top." So that scarf would be Frodos...:p

ProgMatinee
01-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Found some interesting material for the scarf. Expect photos on Thursday.

El Skutto
01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but there's a very nice scarf that comes with the 10-inch talking Tom Baker Doctor Who action figure. The stitches are quite small and tight, so it doesn't have that weird poofy look of those Barbie scarves. I'll try to take some photos this weekend and post them.

El Skutto
01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Here's a picture of the Doctor Who scarf.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo266/El_Skutto/DSC00022.jpg

jason2885
01-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Material wise that one looks great but colorwise I think we really need to get it less striped.

jason2885
01-27-2009, 08:37 PM
Does anyone think that this scarf could be dyed and would look good for Pippins scarf?

http://i5.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ed/80/41d1_1.JPG

pixletwin
01-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Possibly. What is that scarf's length and width?

jason2885
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Possibly. What is that scarf's length and width?

I dont know I just found it on ebay. I might ask the seller how long and wide it is.

thenammagazine
01-27-2009, 11:01 PM
I dont know I just found it on ebay. I might ask the seller how long and wide it is.

Actually, TBH, it looks like someone already tried that for a custom (or this custom) and it didn't turn out. :huh

ProgMatinee
01-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Sorry I let you guys down with a promis of pics of this material I found.

Basically, I found material at a fabric store that is used to make thermal long underwear. It has a very woven look. It may look TOO woven.

I found it in grey, white, and a baby blue. The baby blue is bright and would need fading, but it may be easier to fade than to dye the white or grey into the blue/grey of pips scarf. Anyway, I have attempted to hand sew the toothy pattern and well, that doesn't look so good.

At any rate, I will get a picture of the fabric up soon.

On positive news, I found string that is the perfect colors for the fringe.

El Skutto
02-02-2009, 12:54 PM
You know, I was wondering if it wouldn't be easier to use a piece of grey felt material, cut to the proper size, and then just sew on the fringe and use a magic marker for the small colour bits. At 1:6 scale it's really not necessary to get those colour spots in a perfect star shape or anything, just the hint of colour is all that's required for the illusion to work.

pixletwin
02-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Good idea. Give it a try and take some pics. :rock

Entropy
02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
With the awesome pattern on his Deckard shirt and interest in the merry/pippin thread, BlindVoyeur could come probably come up with an accurate print for Pippin's scarf.

This is fantastic work:
http://www.proppics.com/Br/dec-w15.jpg

The Ween
02-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I might try using cross stitch hardanger material. Not sure if I can find it in gray though. I've got some white here that I might play around with just to see if it will work.

The gray flannel idea sounds pretty good though.

Wor-Gar
02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
With the awesome pattern on his Deckard shirt and interest in the merry/pippin thread, BlindVoyeur could come probably come up with an accurate print for Pippin's scarf.

I agree. Pix, you need to PM Blindvoyeur with an invite.

pixletwin
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I would like to. But thats up to Dave.

I have been feeling him out a bit though. :lol

pixletwin
02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Dave has sent him the invite. :rock

BlindVoyeur
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Hmm being felt out by pixeltwin thats a scary concept.
:lol

pixletwin
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
:rock :rock :rock

Is it clear now why the chatter on this had died down? :lol

BlindVoyeur
02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
In the words of Prince Akeem "I AM VEY HAPPY TO BE HERE!" :rotfl

Wor-Gar
02-03-2009, 12:01 PM
In the words of Prince Akeem "I AM VEY HAPPY TO BE HERE!" :rotfl

:rock

Welcome Ryan!!!

BlindVoyeur
02-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Oh crap I have to leave, I can't be within 50 feet of Greg :lol

Wor-Gar
02-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh crap I have to leave, I can't be within 50 feet of Greg :lol

Is that Restraining Order still in effect? :dunno

:D

Entropy
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Welcome Ryan!

Lemme post some scarf pics
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/pippindetail2_SerNM.jpg
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/pippinscarfdtl_SerNM.jpg

pixletwin
02-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Lets get some pics of his shirt too for the man to peruse. :lol

BlindVoyeur
02-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I see why you needed help now :lol

Entropy
02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/PipScarf1174_CatNM.jpg

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/pippinembdetailc_SerNM.jpg
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/pippinembstripl_SerNM.jpg

FlyAndFight
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I see why you needed help now :lol

:monkey3:monkey3:monkey3

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Ok this is just a quick rough pattern I made, but I could do a fabric print something along these lines.

Thanks,
Ryan

http://www.proppics.com/pshirt-test.jpg

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Awesome. Do we need to send you our shirts?

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
No I would have to make a custom shirt from the above printed fabric.

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
even better. :duff

ProgMatinee
02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that pattern is all over the shirt, just the front, like a bowling shirt.

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Or a like a Hee-Haw square dancing shirt. :lol

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I think it has 4 rows of that pattern on each side of the front. the back is just normal white.

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Ok this is just a quick rough pattern I made, but I could do a fabric print something along these lines.

Thanks,
Ryan

http://www.proppics.com/pshirt-test.jpg

The only critique I would have for the pattern you have made is the golden rectangles should be about 3% smaller.

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I am going to try and experiment on my embroidery machine as well to see how it will turn out actually embroidered because those are just basic stitch patterns. However I will have to see how this affects the drape of the shirt. Stay tuned.

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 08:19 AM
The only critique I would have for the pattern you have made is the golden rectangles should be about 3% smaller.

I know. Thats what I meant but it was a rough test pattern. :D

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 08:19 AM
............. :google ..............

(pixletwin is very glad BV is on board) :o

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Nothing but the best.. right?

ProgMatinee
02-04-2009, 08:27 AM
BV, do you think the print can be made into an applique that we can just put onto the current shirt?

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 08:31 AM
It would look really bad due to the scale. If I can work out the embroidery thing though, It could more than likely be embroidered onto the shirts you have.

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
So one scenario has you making the whole shirt from scratch and the other is we send you our shirts?

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I am looking at three options at the moment.

1. Custom Printed Fabric and the shirt made custom.

2. Embroidered fabric the make a custom shirt from it.

3. Try and Embroider directly on the current shirts we already have.

Really I will just have to see which turns out the best. But I will try all three.

The Josh
02-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Sweet!! :rock

FlyAndFight
02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
This is excellent news. :rock

King Darkness
02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Entropy
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I am going to try and experiment on my embroidery machine as well to see how it will turn out actually embroidered because those are just basic stitch patterns. However I will have to see how this affects the drape of the shirt. Stay tuned.

What machine are you using? I tried a test printing on someone's embroidery machine and we couldn't get the pattern to stitch very well in such a small scale. And as you said, it may cause issues with the drape. It'll be awesome if you can get it to work.

BlindVoyeur
02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Its a Commercial Brother, but I am really leaning towards the printed fabric option due to the size of the pattern.

pixletwin
02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I am pretty sure Sideshow would have opted in the same direction.

BlindVoyeur
02-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I should have some prototype stuff made up in another week or so...

pixletwin
02-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Can't wait to see.

BlindVoyeur
02-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Just have to finish up a few things on this guy first.

http://www.proppics.com/Br/dec-w17.jpg

Entropy
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Very cool. Have you found a suitable material or will it just be a test of the pattern? I was thinking a slightly fuzzy flannel to cheat the knit texture, but not sure what materials you are able to print on to get a solid pattern.

superdoug
02-19-2009, 06:56 PM
i want to get in on the scarf if it happens please. :monkey3

carbo-fation
01-05-2011, 09:35 AM
I know this project has been left in the dust along with pretty much everything else in this section, but I found a tailor who was able to make a scarf for Pippin. I have added two pictures for this.

The cost per scarf is $10 along with shipping which shouldn't be more than a $1. I've already placed an order for 5 scarfs, one of which is for me. Let me know if you guys are interested and I can ship the ones I got and possibly order more.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/carbo-fation/pip-scarf2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/carbo-fation/pip-scarf.jpg

icruise
01-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Looks good, although I'm a little wary about putting any more money into this figure.

carbo-fation
01-05-2011, 10:09 AM
I understand where you're coming from, however, the way I see it is, I've put way too much money into these figures not have them completed. I've contacted Eric Sosa about Pippin and if he doesn't get back to me within the next week, I will start contacting other sculptors. I'm tired of waiting around. While it's still uncertain whether we will see Merry from Dave, we can all help to get Pipping completed.

ProgMatinee
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
looks nice!

thamesvalidude
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I understand where you're coming from, however, the way I see it is, I've put way too much money into these figures not have them completed. I've contacted Eric Sosa about Pippin and if he doesn't get back to me within the next week, I will start contacting other sculptors. I'm tired of waiting around. While it's still uncertain whether we will see Merry from Dave, we can all help to get Pipping completed.

Go for it Carbo. I shall watch with baited breath and open wallet!:clap

carbo-fation
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys.

I went ahead and placed an order for 5 scarfs. I'll post pictures and if people like them, I can order more. I'm pretty sure once we show our completed hobbits to members outside of this forum (It will happen!!!!), they'll want to get this stuff asap, so I know I didn't just blow $55, in case you guys don't want it.:lol

icruise
01-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, you could always use them to keep a family of hamsters warm. :lol

I should probably get one of these, but I just need to decide if I want to go forward with the project or not.

carbo-fation
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
I completely understand your predicament, but I know once we see at least one of the remaining hobbits, the urge to complete the fellowship will be inevitble.

I know we can get some decent sculptors to do the hobbits. They may not be what Dave had in mind, but to me, having sub-standard sculpts is better than having no sculpts at all.

thamesvalidude
01-06-2011, 04:19 AM
I completely understand your predicament, but I know once we see at least one of the remaining hobbits, the urge to complete the fellowship will be inevitble.

I know we can get some decent sculptors to do the hobbits. They may not be what Dave had in mind, but to me, having sub-standard sculpts is better than having no sculpts at all.

I mean we got a sub standard Faramir lol!

superdoug
01-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Looks good! Now I need one :)

carbo-fation
01-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I'll post pictures of the scarf on my Pippin bash once I receive it to show it'll look on the actual body.

jason2885
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
It looks excellent. I sent you a PM about it I want one.

carbo-fation
02-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Here's a picture of the finished items my tailor sent me. I should have the scarfs in two weeks or less.

He also sent me his custom Gandalf robes. I'll take pictures of those once I get it in hand. He also agreed to do a Saruman robe. :D

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/carbo-fation/ashad.jpg

So far, all 5 have been taken already.

Superdoug, Jason2885, WetaNut and jaffakitkat. Of course I'll get one as well. :)

carbo-fation
02-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Here's a picture of the actual scarf worn in the films.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Hobbit/Pippin/pippindetail2_SerNM.jpg

pixletwin
02-03-2011, 09:04 PM
That looks good. any chancwe of seeing Sam or Frodo model it?

thenammagazine
02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
That looks good. any chancwe of seeing Sam or Frodo model it?

Too bad we can't see a headless, clothed Pippin model it. :nana:

superdoug
02-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Superdoug, Jason2885, WetaNut and jaffakitkat. Of course I'll get one as well. :)

:yess: Thanks you! Headless Pippin will have his dignity back and no longer head scarf less. They look really good to me. Thanks again for doing this!

carbo-fation
02-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Glad you guys like these. I'm planning on taking pictures on my headless Pippin and I can also take pics on Frodo and Sam.

superdoug
02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I felt bad for the headless ones so Pippin is sporting Frodo's and Merry's got Sam's until they can get heads of their own.

jason2885
02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Here's a picture of the finished items my tailor sent me. I should have the scarfs in two weeks or less.

He also sent me his custom Gandalf robes. I'll take pictures of those once I get it in hand. He also agreed to do a Saruman robe. :D

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/carbo-fation/ashad.jpg

Those look great cant wait to get one then all I will need is a couple heads a cloak for Merry and the Fellowship will finally be complete.

carbo-fation
02-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I got the scarves last week. They're a little big but with some futzing, they are usable.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/carbo-fation/DSC_0616.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h42/carbo-fation/DSC_0618.jpg

El Skutto
03-01-2011, 09:03 AM
I think I've come up with another potential solution to the scarf problem. I was worried about the thickness of the material, the size of the stitches/weave, and the way the scarf would hang on a 1:6 body.

Basically, I'm going to try and find a pair of grey bootlaces - the wide, flat kind (maybe 1cm in width). I'll sew a reinforcing stitch along the ends and cut the lace about 1cm below the stitch. This will allow the threads to separate at the ends to become the fringe, but without going past the reinforcing stitch line.

I'll then use some yellow, red and/or brown markers to colour some of the fringe, and also do the pattern on the scarf proper.

Now I just need to find the right size bootlaces...

pixletwin
03-01-2011, 09:20 AM
That was basically Nam/my solution as well. I haven't had time to put the pieces together, but when I do I think the scale will be a bit more convincing (though carbo's scarf looks really REALLY good too).

carbo-fation
03-01-2011, 03:38 PM
The shoelace idea sounds really good. I might have my scarf redone, shorten the length and width, but I'm not sure if my tailor has time for that.

Wetanut
03-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Got mine yesterday. Thanks!
Now if only I can get the duds for Pip and Merry anytime soon :(

El Skutto
03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
I found this retailer on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Flat-wide-athletic-shoelaces-16color-shoe-laces-/150489186979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item68c6ca24c6

According to the listing, the shoelaces are 10mm in width, which is 1cm (approx. 3/8"), and 120 cm in length (roughly 47"). Does that width seem appropriate? How long would each section of lace need to be for one scarf, keeping in mind that the fringe's length should also be included in the calculation?

I figure I can buy a few pairs of grey laces and have them cut and stitched at the fringe ends if anyone's interested. I'll try my hand at replicating the scarf's pattern with markers, but you can choose to do that yourself, if you have a steadier hand (or sharper eyes).

I'll post some pictures once I get the prototype completed. At that time, I'll offer up any extras for Freaks interested in buying one. Price should be negligible - just enough to cover postage and maybe a buck for material.

El Skutto
04-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Okay, I'm ready to order the laces for the scarves. I found two different colours, and two different widths; I'd like your input.

Colour-wise, I can choose between light grey and dark grey:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SILVER-GRAY-50-FAT-Hip-Hop-SHOELACES-Shoe-STRING-Lace-/380331806453?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item588d8acef5

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DARK-GRAY-50-FAT-Hip-Hop-SHOELACES-Shoe-STRING-Lace-/200597141898?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2eb485798a

Personally, I think the light grey is a better match. As for width, these seem to come in either 3/8" or 3/4", and I'm not sure which is the better choice for this project. 3/4" might be too thick to hang properly on the body.

What do you guys think?

The Ween
04-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Okay, I'm ready to order the laces for the scarves. I found two different colours, and two different widths; I'd like your input.

Colour-wise, I can choose between light grey and dark grey:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/SILVER-GRAY-50-FAT-Hip-Hop-SHOELACES-Shoe-STRING-Lace-/380331806453?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item588d8acef5

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DARK-GRAY-50-FAT-Hip-Hop-SHOELACES-Shoe-STRING-Lace-/200597141898?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2eb485798a

Personally, I think the light grey is a better match. As for width, these seem to come in either 3/8" or 3/4", and I'm not sure which is the better choice for this project. 3/4" might be too thick to hang properly on the body.

What do you guys think?

I would say 3/8", light gray. :)

jason2885
05-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Have any of yall had success with the shoelaces for the scarf.

El Skutto
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Haven't gotten around to it, yet. There didn't seem to be much interest in the idea, to be honest.

Update: I just ordered a pair of gray laces from South Korea and will share the results of my attempt once it has been completed.

El Skutto
05-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Okay, I received the laces from South Korea yesterday and I think they're going to do the trick. What's more, I think I'll be able to make 10 scarves with a single pair of laces.

First, I'll get all the reinforcing stitches done in grey thread, then I'll cut all 10 scarves. I'll post pictures once that's been done and offer up the other 9 for sale if anyone wants one at the same time.

I should be receiving my Merry and Pippen heads in the mail shortly, so I'll try to get these done as soon as possible. The Fellowship is nearly complete!

icruise
05-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Interested in seeing how they come out. I finally managed to locate my headless hobbit bodies that I had stashed away in the basement, so I might get one.

JediMike71
05-31-2011, 12:21 PM
I am also interested in Pippin's scarf. I have an extra Sam and Frodo for custom Pippin and Merry figures. I'm getting the head sculpts for Pippin and Merry from zkulptor. So how much should the scarf cost for Pippin? I am new to this thread. Thanks! :wave

FlyAndFight
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Definitely looking forward to seeing how they come out. :rock

jason2885
06-01-2011, 06:00 AM
Let me know when you get done with them. I will take one.

El Skutto
06-01-2011, 08:23 AM
I am also interested in Pippin's scarf. I have an extra Sam and Frodo for custom Pippin and Merry figures. I'm getting the head sculpts for Pippin and Merry from zkulptor. So how much should the scarf cost for Pippin? I am new to this thread. Thanks! :wave

I have no idea in regards to pricing at this point, but it should be quite low. I'm thinking $10 or less shipped in North America, and a buck or two more for overseas.

It really depends on whether I have to pay someone to do the sewing.

El Skutto
06-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Update: The scarves should be ready by next week. I finally found someone to do the stitchwork (thanks, mom!), and have settled on a length that I feel will be roughly equivalent to how the scarf is worn on-screen.

If anyone's curious, I've chosen a length of 22.5 cm, which includes a 1 cm fringe on either end. That should give enough length to go around the neck once, do an over-under knot, and then hang roughly 3/4 of the way down his front.

jason2885
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Awesome I cant wait to see the finished results.

galactiboy
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Its definitely not screen accurate or anything... but I was going through my custom bits and found that the 12" Hasbro Hoth Han Solo figure came with a decent 1/6 scarf. Here's an image... could be a cheap stand-in, or maybe even one that could be altered a bit with color to look more Hobbitesque:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c_MaBzzRV2A/SmyKGQlXzkI/AAAAAAAACeo/9NMdebNzJoE/s1600/hanhoth1.jpg

El Skutto
07-24-2011, 09:16 AM
The scarves are done! Scale-wise, I think the shoelaces are a better fit than any of the other alternatives. Naturally, they'll be even nicer after the pattern and fringes have been coloured in with a marker, but I feel they look good enough even without the decoration.

I have 9 scarves left for sale, if anyone is interested. You'll need to fray the ends yourselves, but it's very easy to do with a small hook or some similar tool. I used the end of a corkscrew from a Swiss Army knife and it worked like a charm. The stitch line prevents the threads from fraying beyond the 1cm fringe, so it's pretty much foolproof.

Cost including shipping would be $5 for Canada and the continental US, and slightly more for overseas depending on location. Note they'll be shipped as standard mail; if you want tracking it will obviously cost more. PM me if you're interested and I'll set one aside for you and provide you with a shipping quote, where necessary.
http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo266/El_Skutto/DSC00003-10.jpg

pixletwin
08-12-2011, 08:59 PM
I'll be cutting about an inch from the fringe on each end, but you get the idea:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/abbalite/100_3383.jpg?t=1313207600

I couldn't get a picture that wasn't washed in that crappy yellow glow. Sorry. :O