Go See Serenity!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protozaius

Chief Defender of Faith
Reaction score
Everybody go see "Serenity"... show support for a great sci-fi/fantasy!

Just...

STOP BASHING STAR WARS IN ORDER TO PRAISE SERENITY!!!

Each series has diffferent aims and BOTH can co-exist in one uinverse. There is no need to choose which is better. I love them BOTH.

I also love Planet of the Apes! :banana

Lord of the Rings! :banana

Blade Runner! :banana

Hellboy! :banana

X-Men! :banana

You too can be a well-rounded scif-fi/fantasy fan!

niether, I LOVE serenity and SW. Two of my fave sci fi. But Serenity is stronger in characters than the SW prequels imho.

Superior in Almost Every Respect

It's not really bashing Star Wars in my opinion, but the New York Times review said that "Joss Whedon's unassuming science-fiction adventure is superior in almost every respect to George Lucas's aggressively more ambitious screen entertainments."

"A lot more sweaty fun than the last three overhyped, sterile, for-dorks-only Star Wars cartoons."
-- Connie Ogle, MIAMI HERALD

I would call that bashing.

And in a similiar "Go See Serenity" thread in the General Movie and TV Section of this very forum, someone wrote "I'm more geeked for this than I was for "Revenge of the Sludge" by far."

Lately in my travels through cyberspace, it seems like the hype for this movie is not from the studio but is of a more grassroots variety of hype with die-hard Firefly fans trying to spend the word. In that effort and in the heat of zeal, there seems to be the inevitable a slap (or bash) against Star Wars... or namely the prequels.

Here's just one of the sources I've run into:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/

I guess the comparise is unavoidable. I just wish it wasn't so mean.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying, but this is something that has been going on since even before the prequels. Star Wars has set the bar that every other SciFi space adventure will be measured against, and with each negative comment, it further proves it. I wish I could remember what movie it was, but one quote I remember reading when I was younger that I've never forgotten was:

"This isn't your father's old Star Wars films; this is fresh and exciting."

Hell, when ROTS was released, some critics and fans called it the best of the saga. While I would agree, it certainly doesn't mean that it's true for everyone; and, it certainly doesn't mean the comments made by those bashing Star Wars are true for everyone either.

Personally, I'm a big fan of most SciFi, and I'm glad that we are getting another great SciFi space adventure like Serenity. I'm not a big fan of commercial movie theaters though, so I'll be waiting for the DVD. :)

You must see it in the theatre! It's loud, fast, and fun, and we need the grosses!

I agree that Star Wars will probably always be what Sci-fi films are compared to, just as LotR will be for fantasy. I expect when Narnia debuts all the critics will be saying, "well, it's no Lord of the Rings...".

But Serenity and Star Wars are different types of films really - one's mythic; almost a Greek tragedy, and the other's about flawed characters just trying to get by.

i only watched a couple of the firefly episodes so im not a die-hard fan of it. but i went and saw serenity this past weekend and i loved it. it was awesome!!! now im thinking about buying the firefly dvd set and i know for sure im gonna get serenity when it comes out

It would not have occured to me to compare SERENITY with STAR WARS. Uh, I guess there is Space in both. And Ships, they got ships to move through the space in.

Its a bit like the "Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings or LOTR vs Harry Potter. Whats the point? Is the mind of a critic so small and shrivelled that it must place everything in boxes and can only shelve one of those boxes at a time???

Apparently so.

Unfortunately these types of comparisons probably do piss off the devout Star Wars fan to the point that they won't go and see Serenity. And that's too bad because they are missing a great film.

Serenity again

I have been thinking about parts of "Serenity" ever since I saw it a couple of weeks ago, I mean a great deal of this movie has stayed with me after one viewing. So today I went and saw it again, and it was just as good if not better than the first time! What a great movie, and how sad that it's just not pulling in the revenue, because if any movie deserves a sequel (or prequel!), it's this one! It's got humor, pathos, action, drama, great acting, and a great story line. Maybe if the dvd sales are big, there might be at least ONE more Serenity movie. I bought the "Firefly" dvd set after seeing the movie the first time, because now I want more of the backstories on all these people. :banana

I maybe saw one or two episodes of "Firefly" when it was on the air, so I really didn't have a lot of background on the story and I had no trouble following the movie at all. It's unfortunate that people who are sf fans won't go see this because they didn't see the series... :cool:

Looks lilke Serenity took another 50% nosedive this weekend! :horror

Our only hope now for more Firefly is a healthy and I mena HEALTHY run on DVD. Look what it did for the Family Guy TV show....

I'm a projectionist and it looks like my theater is getting Serenity this weekend! Looks like I get to geek out at work again! :wacky

Last time was when we got Revenge of the Sith in August! :banana :banana :banana

I've seen plenty Serenity pushing/Star Wars bashing. There's even a nice Star Wars font t-shirt that says "Joss Whedon is my master now."

Personally, I've had so many people try to PUSH Serenity on me that the fans have really turned me off from the idea of seeing it.

I dont wanna push, but you really should see it. Its a very good film. In no way am I bashing SW by the way, thats not my intention. But you should see it.
:D

In 1977, I saw new movie that people were talking about called Star Wars. I really liked it. I've been a big SW fan ever since. :banana
A month ago I didn't know anything about Serenity until I read one of the threads on this board, so decided to see it. I really liked it. :banana
After seeing the movie, I bought the Firefly boxset. I really liked it. I think I'll probably be a big Firefly/Serenity fan from now on. :banana
I won't be any less of a SW fan and I don't make comparisons between the two. I just enjoy them both for what they are, really good entertainment. :banana

Wasn't the same sort of thing happening in 1977 between Star Trek and Star Wars IIRC?

Fritz said:
Wasn't the same sort of thing happening in 1977 between Star Trek and Star Wars IIRC?

And, now it's 2005 and SW is KING of the Sci-Fi box office. Doesn't take anything away from Trek for me though. I really like all the movies that have been put out. I typically wait for a movie to hit DVD, since I don't care for going to commercial movie theater's, and I'll definitely be picking up Serenity when released.

I dont want to make people mad or anything but when me and my mates went we :horror didnt like it.
it might be because we never watched the show
but it was slow and boring heck i didnt no what it was:confused: on about lol

i forgot already.
i think it was my worst ever film of this year
(my fav was starwars)

Back