PDA

View Full Version : Updates on past releases by Sideshow

Memnoch
12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
This is probably either going to stir the hornets nest or get ignored but, I got to thinking, after the great many leaps SS has taken in costuming and sculpting, would you necessarily be against updates of past figures if they had a new sculpt and the costuming was updated as well, i.e. more correct colors. The ones that come to mind immediately are a new Ep III Anakin and Bespin Han. However I wouldn't include a character like Jedi Luke who could still be done in an Endor or DSII Version.

agen_kolar
12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Depends on how it turned out.

Jedi Princess
12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
No. If they remake an existing figure instead of making a Lando or Wedge or Non-Snow-Bunny-Padme or Bail Organa, I'll riot.

ProgMatinee
12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Not much wrong with the EPIII Anakin, IMO. The outfit is near perfect, just a below average headsculpt and paint, but its not bad by any means. I'd rather see Ep I or II Anakin instead.

Also, while the Bespin Han is pretty weak, I'd prefer a Hoth Han.

I'd rather they keep moving forward with entirely new characters or different incarnations of characters than revisit the past.

Memnoch
12-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I dunno, my main reasoning is that some things from the past like Han's jacket or the colors on Anakin would probably be better now than if they had been done so early in the line. Also Han could really use a new headsculpt..

EVILFACE
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Only a few figures from their lines:

Anakin EPIII
Jedi Luke

Frankenstein Monster
Mummy

pixletwin
12-10-2008, 01:34 PM
It may just be the fact that my Bespin Han is a repaint and Smuggler Han still has the prod Paint apps but I actually prefer the Bespin version.

Darthrazz
12-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I dunno, my main reasoning is that some things from the past like Han's jacket or the colors on Anakin would probably be better now than if they had been done so early in the line. Also Han could really use a new headsculpt..

Whenever Han Hoth is released I'll just use that head sculpt to replace my Han Bespins.

Mad Old Lu
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
I voted "no". It would have to be significantly different if I were to justify getting a re-issue. Bespin Han is the only one I have a problem with and I've passed on him so far even though he's my favourite character. I would definitely get him if he was remade better. But I'm fairly pleased with most of the other characters. I'm holding out hope that Sideshow will make a Hoth Han with a better headsculpt. I would get that and eventually get just the head of the new Han and place it on a Bespin Han (I'm also considering getting a Smuggler Han head).

Mad Old Lu
12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Darthrazz beat me to the Hoth Han/Bespin body idea!:mad:

:D

ProgMatinee
12-10-2008, 01:44 PM
I think its a bit wishful thinking to think that a 2008/2009 Han Bespin jacket would be anything different than what they made before. The smuggler Han vest came out pretty darn similar. I think the only thing that could make it different is if SSC tailored the jacket with the prometheus in mind.

Memnoch
12-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I was actually thinking of trying the jacket ON the Pro body, since it seems to be a bit smaller over all but I don't feel like digging my Han Solo out at the moment.

Randy_S
12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't mind if they just made new headsculpts to swap out. Get some heads that aren't oversized and based on the flesh-colored material so that it looks better. I would definitely get these if they did heads only:
Jedi Luke
Bespin Han
ROTS Obi-Wan
ROTS Anakin

ProgMatinee
12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Heads using the new Hot Toys like paint methods would be welcomed.

TheObsoleteMan
12-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I think the SDCC Anakin is already a nice upgrade on the original release. The paint on that version is fantastic and really makes the sculpt sing.

I would like to see a redone ROTS Obi-Wan on the Prometheus with a smaller noggin and his hair and beard painted the proper strawberry blonde color as opposed to dark brown. He also needs the two finger gesture left hand from the Grievous saber fight.

Darthrazz
12-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Darthrazz beat me to the Hoth Han/Bespin body idea!:mad:

:D

Hey Jim, which shore are you by? I'm up north a bit, right by the Meadowlands.

Jedi Princess
12-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I was actually thinking of trying the jacket ON the Pro body, since it seems to be a bit smaller over all but I don't feel like digging my Han Solo out at the moment.

Try the Hasbro 3 pack Bespin Han jacket. It looks bigger.

Memnoch
12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Ive thought about it but that would need altering as well as that collar is def. too large. Also not sure if it is navy blue or black. AND it's pretty expensive to get that figure, oddly enough. :lol

MaulFan
12-10-2008, 02:38 PM
In the Star Wars lineup, the only ones I'd really welcome a second release on are ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan. With Anakin, I'd like the same costume in the proper clothes and of course improved paint apps also welcome, but the lip paint never bothered me as much as others. With Obi-Wan, I'd like to see his hair more like the Clone Obi-Wan color and his beard done with the same quality apps. Clone Obi-Wan has probably the best mass painted beard work I've ever seen and a ROTS Obi-Wan of the same quality would just be stunning. Andy's sculpt is great, just want to see it painted with current quality.

Mad Old Lu
12-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey Jim, which shore are you by? I'm up north a bit, right by the Meadowlands.

I'm down in Oceanport, home of Monmouth Park Racetrack, which is near Red Bank, AKA "Kevin Smith World". :cool:

Amanaman
12-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Don't waste time re-treading anything, just keep going.

galactiboy
12-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not really interested in rebuying figures... in all honesty I've been happy with almost all of the releases over the long term. I think the only figure I've lost some love for is the ROTS Obi Wan. Its a good figure, but having 2 other much better versions has kind of dampened my enthusiasm for him.

creature4000
12-10-2008, 04:12 PM
the issue I see this creating is they'll release figs with sub par heads nowing they can make better ones down the road. Make more money! ;)

icruise
12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think they'd ever do this because it would mean admitting that the figures they originally gave up were sub-par. It hasn't been that long since the figures we're talking about were brand new. It also flies in the face of the limit edition concept, as I've mentioned before. And I also agree that they need to concentrate on getting getting the characters that people are clamoring for, rather than doubling back to do minor upgrades.

MaulFan
12-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, the timespan is irrelevant, growth is growth. Hot Toys went from toyish portraits to breathtaking stuff in the course of about 12 months, and I'd love to see some of their earlier styled stuff done with the modern quality. It's like buying a new car, what you had was great at the time, but things are always improving.

Some of the early SW figures were great out the gate, but compared to some of their current bretheren, you can see SSC's made strides and it'd be interesting to see the result of that growth applied to something done before, in fact it would make the growth all the more apparent when you can compare directly.

Memnoch
12-10-2008, 04:54 PM
But who honestly cares about limited edition. It's not as if the figures are numbered, so there is no way to track how many are actually made. And to the point of saying the figures are sub par, I don't think thats the case. At the time the figures were great but now they can do even better and so Id like to see those resources put into the figures. Im not saying immediately but I am saying, eventually.

Edit: Dammit Sean beat me to it. :lol

MaulFan
12-10-2008, 04:58 PM
As far as limited edition goes, I think that only matters in how limited ones to buy are. There could be 50,000 of a figure made, but if you didn't get it and you really want it and there's only 5 for sale in the world, that's the leverage sellers need to get a good sale. Look at Hot Toys, no ES on their figures, it's the demand for them and limited sales that drive their high prices.

nash
12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
They should get it right the first time.

icruise
12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
But who honestly cares about limited edition. It's not as if the figures are numbered, so there is no way to track how many are actually made. And to the point of saying the figures are sub par, I don't think thats the case. At the time the figures were great but now they can do even better and so Id like to see those resources put into the figures. Im not saying immediately but I am saying, eventually.

Edit: Dammit Sean beat me to it. :lol

Well eventually maybe. If they have the license for years and years, then maybe they could come back 5-10 years or so after the original figure was released and redo it. But it just seems way too soon to do it now. In all honesty, while Clone Wars Obi-wan is very good, the last two Star Wars figures I bought (Tatooine Luke and Smuggler Han) weren't superior in any way to the earlier figures in the line, with the exception of the better sculpts (but these were largely hidden by the paint.) I just don't believe that they've made enough technical progress to really make it worthwhile, and of course it would totally destroy the resale value of the current figures (what little there is, anyway).

MaulFan
12-10-2008, 06:18 PM
They should get it right the first time.

That's a very subjective comment though. Right is an ever evolving thing. These companies are always working towards a better product. Something like Hot Toys Joker where major improvements came months apart is one thing, but figures years apart where the company has clearly shown growth, I don't think it makes it that the figures done back in the day weren't done right, they were done right as right could be at the time for them, but now there's a new right as they've grown.

thenammagazine
12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I'd rather have a new figure than a rehashed version of something I already own. There are so many figures that we really "need" to flesh out our collections. I'd hate to wait longer for them so somebody can have a rehashed Bespin Han. That's what customs are for.

Kratos
12-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Would have too see how they turned out first

Darth Cruel
12-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I voted yes as I would buy them if they did them. But, for me, there are no figures that need upgraded. They are all incredible.

D. Martin
12-10-2008, 06:57 PM
If they did it, I would want it to be 100% perfect.

JustinLuck
12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
The line is already moving slow enough. We do not need to waste time on revisiting the same character. Overall, Sideshow's paint apps and tailoring have remained pretty consistent over the years. The only major change was the hiring of Trevor Grove who brought us more realistic head sculpts. I might be interested in an accessory pack of headsculpts that sported new facial expressions, but not entire figure rehashes.

darthviper107
12-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't think they should redo any incarnation of characters, they're all pretty close as far as things are concerned.

FlyAndFight
12-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I voted "no".

I don't want SS wasting time rehashing older figures (even if done better) and thus taking development time away from newer ones (such as Chewie!!!!).

Puay
12-12-2008, 02:27 AM
I might sound harsh saying this but I think EP3 Anankin needs a re-sculpt. Being such an important character the likeness just isn't quite there.

Crimsonbob
12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
There are some that could be alot better, but id prefer to get some new ones.

MaulFan
12-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I saw a figure today I hadn't thought of that I'd definitely like to see revisited if HT were to ever make 1/6 Star Wars figures and that's Qui-Gon Jinn. Oluf did a great job sculpting Neeson, but the hair is not a good representation of the character, and I'm sure HT would do soft material hair like their other long haired figures such as Jack Sparrow, and he's properly have hair running over the fronts of his shoulders and fanning out wider on the back of his shoulders. The SSC figure has a fine face, but the overall figure just doesn't feel quite like Qui-Gon because of the hair being so different, it's a pretty defining trait of his look.

Cmdr Gree
12-18-2008, 06:24 AM
I voted yes, but I'd clarify that if SSC did this, it should probably be the single worst figure they've done so far...which is probably Anakin given the issues of likeness, lip-stick, and that wonky arm (though, given the right modifications the likeness is actually pretty good, but therein lies the point).

Mind you, a poll for the top spot would be good. Or maybe narrowing it down to the top two or three most in need of improvement; I think I could cave to a better likeness of Aayla Secura (one that actually looks like Amy Allen instead of a young Annie Lennox :crying)

Blackhole
12-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Only way it could be done was if they did more expansion packs like Maulz Ballz...

Y'know, a throne for Palps...
Etc, etc...

Sachiel
12-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I doubt they would be any better, just more expensive.

The quality hasn't really gone up, much, if at all.

Cmdr Gree
12-18-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd go for the expansion pack idea, since we're really all just talking about new heads, true.

Matt S
12-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Bespin Han is in dire need of a redo...! I voted for 'see how it turns out'

JustinLuck
12-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Sideshow's quality is the same now as it was in 2005, except for better head sculpts. Tailoring is exactly the same. Bespin Han should be left alone. I've been asking for accessory packs of heads since 2005. It hasn't happened and probably never will. People have already said they don't want to buy new heads because they don't know how to remove the original ones off the Buck and Sideshow doesn't want to be liable for people breaking the Buck's neck joint in the process.

FlyAndFight
12-19-2008, 03:03 PM
I saw a figure today I hadn't thought of that I'd definitely like to see revisited if HT were to ever make 1/6 Star Wars figures and that's Qui-Gon Jinn. Oluf did a great job sculpting Neeson, but the hair is not a good representation of the character, and I'm sure HT would do soft material hair like their other long haired figures such as Jack Sparrow, and he's properly have hair running over the fronts of his shoulders and fanning out wider on the back of his shoulders. The SSC figure has a fine face, but the overall figure just doesn't feel quite like Qui-Gon because of the hair being so different, it's a pretty defining trait of his look.

Qui-Gon, Mace and EIII Anakin are in my opinion, in dire need of a new headsculpt. I've replaced Anakin's sculpt with the fantastic Darren Carnell version and it's "head and shoulders" above the original... ;)

Mace just doesn't look like SLJ to me. There's an "essence" there but I don't do "essence".

Qui-Gon has a decent sculpt but that hair just kills the figure for me. I've got him posed in profile to minimize the "George Washington" look.

Puay
12-20-2008, 08:15 AM
I have no intention of picking on the EP3 Anakin figure, now that I am raising one more issue concerning the same figure.:(

The leather-like material on the figure's outfit is cracking on all 3 of my figures, thats 2 for the Sith and 1 for the Jedi version. I really hope Sideshow can produce replacements that is made from a difference material.

Anyone else has the same problem?:(

Deeznutz6
12-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Only once they have done everyone else