Go see Serenity!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooball

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I know this is bordering on off-topic, but due to the many Joss fans (and the Buffy line), I thought it would be ok here.

Basically, go and see the movie Serenity. If you haven't seen the show (which Fox cancelled oh-to-early), the movie will still be a great introduction. And it'll have you hungering for more. Thankfully, in this case, the 'more' exists with the dvd set ;).

The show and movie really can be enjoyed by everyone, and not just your typical sci-fi fans ;). It has lots of great humour and characters and story.

You'll have a great time seeing the movie, which is far superior - in my opinion - than any of the recent Star Wars films. It's 'sci-fi' about characters, not special effects (although it does have good effects as well). In my humble opinion, the show itself is better than anything Star Wars ever offered. But maybe the Star Wars comparisons aren't a good idea, though, because Serenity and Firefly is much more than mere sci-fi.

The main problem with the film is that there being so many characters, not everyone gets a moment to shine. But again, if you like the film you will really savour what you seen on the show.

Please go and see a good movie (rather than Jessica Alba in a crappy one). By going, you'll have a great time and helping ensure more Firefly goodness in the future (through more movies and *very unlikely* a resurrected show).

Thanks for listening!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/

p.s., Sideshow, some Firefly figures wouldn't go astray. I love all the characters, but for some reason I'm thinking a Jayne with Vera would rock :). Those DST ones really don't do the job at all.

p.p.s. The 2-hour pilot episode 'Serenity' is, imho, the most perfect tv episode ever.

I'm definitely going to be seeing this! I can't wait until tomorrow!! The buzz is getting even better and better for this movie! Ebert's review is a very positive one with 3 out of 4 stars so a definite "Thumbs up"!

I haven't seen it, but very much looking forward to it. And no Joss-talk will ever be off topic!

Just got the DVD set, never seen them before and Iam still on the first 2 episodes BUT so far I am really liking it!!

Movie Rocks

I wasn't a fan of the short lived series, but the Movie rocks!! It was a funfilled ride and I enjoyed every moment of it.

Yeah, baby. That's what I want to hear. :rock

Now, if you want a sequel made make sure you recommend the film to someone in real life! Oh yeah, they may enjoy the film too ;).

Having gone to the screening a few weeks ago with the man himself, you can tell just how much Joss loves 'Firefly', and how seriously worried he was that the film would flop. He's just dying to do more with the characters, so hopefully word of mouth and ultimately ticket sales allow him to.

I'm dying to see how the film goes (hopefully really well), and then Joss' response.

By the way, I'm suprised you didn't like Firefly, but liked Serenity. Glad you enjoyed the latter, at least. I'm curious, though, were there any main things that hindered your enjoyment of the show (watching the original out-of-order airings, for instance...)?

Saw my first Firefly episode 2 weeks ago. Got hooked and saw em all. I'll be there with my 2 kids for the opening screening in my town. I'm more geeked for this than I was for "Revenge of the Sludge" by far.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....I havent heard of this 'serenity' before. I guess no TV station here in Europe has picked up on that show. The trailer looks nice, but the story isnt all that interresting so far. Looks more like a tv show made movie. This gets me interrested in seeing the tv show, but not the movie...

Serenity is GREAT!!! Saw it at midnight in Hollywood last night. Totally exceeded my expectations (and they were very high). I wish everyone would just forget that it's based on a TV show, because it really stands on its own as a completely entertaining movie experience. I think that "based on a TV show" bias, plus all the inevitable comparisons to Star Wars, are going to put more than a few people off from giving it a chance. It's a shame really because it's really quite awesome, with much more depth than most sci-fi. Oh well, their loss. :dance

I'm seeing it at least once more, probably twice more, this weekend. :banana

Shiny! :D

Glad you like it so much you want to see it again Sideshow Dusty. I'm going to see it tonight and then I'll see it again next week. Universal is going to be watching the numbers for the second weekend too so here's hoping there isn't a large drop off. The reviews have been really good to great so here's hoping that is encouraging those who aren't familiar with the story to go and see it. A lot of the reviewers are people who weren't familiar with the series and they are full of just as much praise as those who were familiar!!

Now, if only Sideshow will decide to get going on that Serenity/Firefly line I'd be the happiest person in the world!!

I saw only 3 episodes of "firefly" and out of order at that, which may explain my tepid response at first. But My grogg! The movie was amazing and easy to follow. It helped me understand what the series was supposed to be.

I'm taking my wife to see it this weekend and will probably go with a friend later next week.

I'm a total Sci-Fi geek and I have to say this is one of the best Sci-Fi films I've seen. Fan of the series or not, go see this film!!

Serenity NOW!

I just got back from seeing this movie, and I knew I was in for an amazing experience when I saw "Written and Directed by Joss Whedon" in the opening credits! I knew Joss had written it, but didn't know he also had the director's gig as well! I laughed, :mwaha I cried, :crying I nearly jumped out of my seat a couple of times! :horror This movie had it all! This will be a definite dvd purchase, and I may go see it at the theater again. :clap

Does anyone see a sequel here? I don't want to go into spoilers right now til the movie's been out for a LITTLE while longer (although I'm dying to get into a discussion about specific "spoiler" points!), but I can see a sequel, with a few changes obviously. I doubt there's hope this movie would revive the tv show, although if that WERE to happen, how great would that be!

All you Browncoats out there, go see this movie! (Oh, and all you NON browncoats should go see it, too!) :joy

Ive seen this 3 times! its AMAZING! GO SEE SERENITY!!!! all i can say is its feekin awesome! Joss is my master now.... and watch the show if you enjoyed the movie or the other way round it REALLY was a truly spectacular show. FOX SUCK.

Saw it today. AWESOME!!!! Very glad to see the same raw(and chancey) camera effects as from the tv series. It stands on it's own quite well. Expect to see Joss out of the small screen for a while. This is a winner. From what I understand the actors are tentatively signed for 2 sequels. The movies will be produced if Serenity makes a certain figure the opening weekend. Can't remember the number though. I'll see it again to help the numbers.

I absolutely loved it. I also laughed, cried and jumped out of my seat! Please let this do well enough for those sequels. Joss definitely has ideas where to take the characters so if the movie does well enough we will get those sequels! I'm planning on going again next weekend - got to keep those numbers up for week number two too to get the sequel go ahead!

Joss definately is wanting to do a sequel if he can, I was at the Q&A in Sydney and it kept popping up. He sed it was the most he'd ever talked to a group about it.

I got a chance to see Serenity last night, and I am still have mixed feelings. I can't explain how giddy I was to see more of the crew of Serenity, and I think the film was spectacular. It took a few minutes to get used to the look of the Serenity crew in film mode, but after the opening introductions on the ship, things started to feel right at home. Everything about this movie was better than I could have ever imagined, but I can't tell if this was a way to say "hello" to a brand new audience, or a "farewell" to us diehard fans. Things are certainly open to continue, just a lot of the storylines were wrapping up. I am still shocked at the fate of all of the characters, and I hope that Serenity will spark further stories, either in film or television. I know that it didn't exactly set box office records yesterday, so please go see this movie, and see it again if you've already seen it. I also really hope that Sideshow pursues the figure license. They can make all of the figures that were discussed in the other thread, and now we can have the film variations as well! I would certainly buy three different Malcolm Reynolds, movie, tv, and prologue versions! C'mon Sideshow, one head sculpt, at least three variants! It's even better than BTVS Spike variants!

"I am a leaf on the wind, Watch how I soar"

Back