Han comparison (new sculptor)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The figure at left is 1:6 scale. The work of this sculptor, known simply as "Arnie," was previously shown on the old board -- he did some so-good-they-were-eerie Bruce Lee figures, and some of those figures turned up at eBay auction but were pulled. I've been trying to track him down for over a year...I'm making progress but it ain't easy.

Apart from the ball-joint neck...whadya think of how the sculpt stacks up?

ArnieHANcomp.jpg

Wow! :google

Both of them are great. I'd buy both. :D I called the whole family in for this. Our family feels like the hair and eyes of Arnie's is better, but the rest belongs to Sideshow. There is also something in the sideshow piece that somehow expresses Solo's cockiness better. Some combination of the lower part of the face and the stance.

Do you own this Arnie piece, you lucky dog?

I like Andy's way better. That other one while being pretty good looks nothing like HF. Which doesn't mean that it's bad but I just prefer SS version.

Arnie's is definitely a great job!! It would take an awful lot to dethrone Andy's 1/4 Han though. But that may be where a lot of the difference is. Andy's looks so much more detailed and as Andy and our other resident sculptors have said time and time again, you can get much more detail in 1/4.

But I would definitely like to have Arnie's headsculpt for a custom.

The one on the left looks nothing like Harrison Ford to me, reminds me more of the captain from Firefly/Serenity.

Arnie's looks very good, much better than anything Hasbro ever put out. But there's something about the hair...

I've been a huge fan of Arnie Kim's work for years. He is simply an incredibly talented artist. I'm fortunate enough to have his Indiana Jones figure (the one thing I run out of the house with in the event of fire or earthquake). The likeness is simply uncanny. Here's a photo of the same figure from his web page:

gud2js_20050107131223_3967040_1.jpg

I've been a great admirer of Andy's formidable talents too and would love to be able to comission him for a custom project some day.
I think the sky is mighty vast enough to let two such stars shine so brightly all at once.

Nick

Wow that Indy sculpt by Arnie is one of the best (if not the best) Ford likeness I've seen. At least compared to any others that have been publicly shown.....so far..... *ahem*. I'd bet the Han Solo looks just as good but for lack of a better picture.

I'm glad it's not 1/4 scale, I'd definitely feel more inadequate!

I wonder how differently his Han would look if it had to be subjected to Lucasfilm revisions.

;)

Nice!

It's fascinating how different people can look at the same sculpt and while one thinks it's dead-on, another sees no resemblance whatsoever. Thanks for all the comments. For myself, I don't see it as a horse race, particularly because they're different scales. Both sculpts remind me of Harrison Ford as a young actor, but in different ways. How that's possible ...sure beats me.

Double Dare -- I wonder if you were on the board back when I was pleading for info on Arnie...I found his website only about a month ago. It's been a real challenge and took well over a year. I stopped asking here because I only knew about his Bruce Lee figures, and there aren't many people on this board who share that particular fascination with me.

Since you've got Arnie's Indy, you know what's involved in obtaining one of his figures. He doesn't produce many, everyone around him is highly protective of him, and then there's...the language barrier. But he really is remarkable. I'm a huge Arnie admirer. I'm about to become the owner of one of his Bruce Lee figures, and since there were nationally televised fires not too far from my house last night, I was having the exact same thought just this morning: when the Arnie Bruce Lee figure gets here, I always have to be ready to get it out of the house in a fire or earthquake.

I'm also ditto for a wish list that includes being able to commission Andy for a special project. And Arnie too, while I'm at it. And Oluf too! Now, where'd I leave that dang lottery ticket?

Note to hulkfan: Arnie actually posted the comparison to your Han on his website. Since I can't read Korean, I don't know what he says, but it might not even imply a challenge -- he could simply have been acknowledging that he's used the Sideshow photo for a reference on the pose. Most of the photos he posts are either his own work, or comparisons to the references he's used. Check out his Simon and Garfunkel busts with their screenshot references. PS You know when I flee the fire, I'll have Arnie's Bruce Lee under one arm, and your 1:4 Dracula under the other. :p

Arnie's Simon & Garfunkel

Last edited:
Couldn't let this go by without...

...at least saying ohboyohboyohboyohboyIcan'twait!!

Sideshow Andy said:
Wow that Indy sculpt by Arnie is one of the best (if not the best) Ford likeness I've seen. At least compared to any others that have been publicly shown.....so far..... *ahem*. ;)

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Wow that Han is nice indeed. Something seems off in the mouth/lip area, but the rest of the portrait is uncanny!

Arnie's sculpt is certainly a good rendition but in my opinion, the best 1/6th Harrison Ford as Han Solo sculpt that I've seen (and have the pleasure of having) has been done by Jim "Edylhands" Maddox. Not only is the rendition uncanny but he even went as far as to capture the scar on Ford's chin as well as the slightly bent nose. Those familiar with Edylhand's work can attest to meticulous detail put into his sculpts. I'll try to post a pic later tonight so that everyone can check it out for themselves.

Because I am Another "Lucky".........Waitting List Memeber to be Activated.......I just Put Myself in It... Like I did With Vader Exclusive, Obi Wan Exclusive, Sauron and Got All of Them Activated...... But Han..Ummm Like Him But Dont Know...........Any Opinions....

I really think Andy and SS set a new standard for Han Solo pieces with this one. I have been looking forward to the Han Solo more than any of the other SW PF figures. So yes, I definitely think this one will be worth getting.

Which did you sign up for, regular or exclusive?

Back