PDA

View Full Version : For Your Consideration: The Dark Knight

Pages : [1] 2

Batty
11-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Here are two great looking ads in this weeks Variety. I think they're also a sad reminder.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6546/heathledgerfycbp7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/522/darknightbpyq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BXCOLLECTOR
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
wow very nice

j.galt
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

wofford29
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
It deserves a nod for both.

Chapter 2099
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
If Heath does NOT win the Oscar for the 'Best Supporting Actor' category, I will be floored. Actually, now that I think of it, have the nominees even been revealed yet?

cerealkeller
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Classy adds. Hope the Academy goes for this. Nolan deserves best director, and Heath for sure deserves best supporting actor. A best picture nomination would really kick ass!

uscmhicks
11-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I think this movie by far deserves both without looking at the others !.

UTtoyfan
11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
It would definitely be excellent if the Academy considers this among the 5 Best Picture nominees.:D

DKDetective14
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Love those ads. Heath deserves to be nominated for sure. Who else has even come close to him this year?

Dally
11-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Awesome. I'll be pissed if Best Supporting Actor goes to somebody in some movie we've never even heard of before.

IrishJedi
11-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Best Supporting Actor nomination? Definitely. Win? Not sure yet.

Best Picture nomination? I'll have to wait until the end of the year before I go with that one, too. Don't think it should win, though.

GrueSam
11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
I will be very sad if Heath doesn't win the Oscar... http://bestsmileys.com/crying/6.gif

Moonloop
11-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I am sure that this film will receive numerous nominations (as it deserves too). Heath especially deserves one, incredible performance.

Does anyone know when they announce the nominees?

Buttmunch
11-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Classy adds. Hope the Academy goes for this. Nolan deserves best director, and Heath for sure deserves best supporting actor. A best picture nomination would really kick ass!

I agree. Heath and Nolan deserve Oscar gold.

I am sure that this film will receive numerous nominations (as it deserves too). Heath especially deserves one, incredible performance.

I wanna say in January.

Batty
11-23-2008, 10:37 PM

January 22nd.

scubasteve
11-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Eh, rewards mean little to me. I appreciate the film, and Heath's performance, regardless. Don't see this getting a BP nom.

aussieinnyc
11-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Best Supporting Actor nomination? Definitely. Win? Not sure yet.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure I see the Academy awarding a posthumous Oscar (the last nom I think was in the 70s and win in the 50s? I can't remember the exact details and a quick google didn't immediately bring up the answers). But I imagine there is still a lot of respect for Ledger for his performance in Brokeback Mountain, so that would definitely help. It seems to me that a lot of Oscars in the past few years tend to be awarded for a body of work rather than a particular performance. I mean, I love Judi Dench and think she's an Oscar-worthy, awesome actress, but specifically for her performance in Shakespeare in Love? Meh.

Devil_666
11-24-2008, 01:23 AM
If Heath were alive would anyone be talking about an Oscar for him OR TDK? Nope. Anything is possible but I highly doubt a comic book based movie (WITH a costumed main character) will ever win an Oscar for Best Picture.

aussieinnyc
11-24-2008, 01:37 AM
I dunno about that - Ledger's performance, regardless of what happened off screen, was pretty incredible - he gives quite a nuanced performance and really elevates the role above "comic book villain". But I agree with you, a comic book movie will be a hard sell for anything other than the more technical Oscars (visual FX, sound, etc).

plasmid303
11-24-2008, 02:50 AM
We have to look at this realistically. The Academy is not comprised of age 20-something voters. These are old fogies who aren't going to be keen on considering TDK as anything but a comic book movie. The notion that they'll recognize TDK's merits outside of the technical stuff is quite slim. I know the Academy likes big, grand, larger than life performances, but this is a stretch.

Would I be disappointed if Ledger doesn't get a nomination? Yes. Would I understand and accept the reasons why? Yes.

Dally
11-24-2008, 07:38 AM
January 22nd.

That is the day Heath Ledger died, I know that because it is one day before my birthday.

wofford29
11-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I think everyone forgets that Al Pacino was nominated for his role in the comic film "D ick Tracy," so a nomination for Heath is certainly deserving and by no means a stretch.

edit: Here's a video of Pacnio's performance that was nominated for best supporting actor. Watch this and tell me Heath doesn't have a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDy6tE5_B5o&feature=related

MaulFan
11-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Can someone repost the ads?

wofford29
11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Can someone repost the ads?

There's one in the TDK thread of the movie section.

Dally
11-24-2008, 08:20 AM
http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/TDK-variety-FYC-ads-Picture-lg.jpg
http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/TDK-variety-FYC-ads-Joker-lg.jpg

MaulFan
11-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Thanks Dally, these are cool, but the imagery could be more powerful. I think I might make some of my own just as a fun exercise.

wofford29
11-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't change a thing about them, especially the waiting on the van shot. To me, that's one of the most iconic shots in the film.

EVILFACE
11-24-2008, 08:37 AM
That is the day Heath Ledger died, I know that because it is one day before my birthday.

I'll remember that day, cause it is my birthday.

Nocturne
11-24-2008, 10:22 AM
No offence to the adverts themselves, they're wonderfully done, but it does seem somewhat odd to have an advert nominating a Batman film but not actually having Batman on it

Dally
11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
No offence to the adverts themselves, they're wonderfully done, but it does seem somewhat odd to have an advert nominating a Batman film but not actually having Batman on it

I think they're trying to steer away from the fact that it is a Batman movie. :lol I mean come on who ever thought that a Batman movie would be an Oscar contender?

Nocturne
11-24-2008, 01:41 PM
The academy in 1989 when Anton Furst won the Batman movie series only Oscar for his set design ;)

Voorhees27
11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I have no doubt that Ledger will win best supporting actor and I don't believe his death will have a thing to do with it! TDK for best picture? Not a chance, great film but not "best picture of the year" imo.

MaulFan
11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
As much as I love what Heath did, I'll be delightfully surprised if he gets the win, simply because the genre has a stigma and doesn't fall into the category you'd expect Oscar voters to pick from.

Although, someone correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Johnny Depp win best actor for Jack Sparrow? If he did, then Heath's got a good chance because Ledger Joker has all the engaging and entertaining qualities Sparrow has.

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
If Heath were alive would anyone be talking about an Oscar for him OR TDK? Nope. Anything is possible but I highly doubt a comic book based movie (WITH a costumed main character) will ever win an Oscar for Best Picture.

Yes. Because he was ^^^^ing amazing, and people WERE saying this BEFORE he died. Right after the first trailer came out.

I would say the very same thing. His death did nothing to make it better.

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 04:38 PM
As much as I love what Heath did, I'll be delightfully surprised if he gets the win, simply because the genre has a stigma and doesn't fall into the category you'd expect Oscar voters to pick from.

Although, someone correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Johnny Depp win best actor for Jack Sparrow? If he did, then Heath's got a good chance because Ledger Joker has all the engaging and entertaining qualities Sparrow has.

Nominated. But still.

MaulFan
11-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Nominated. But still.

Well then Heath should definitely get at least a nom, Joker's as entertaining as Sparrow.

Devil_666
11-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes. Because he was ^^^^ing amazing, and people WERE saying this BEFORE he died. Right after the first trailer came out.

I would say the very same thing. His death did nothing to make it better.

Show me a single article, quote, clip ANYTHING that backs that up. Because the first time anyone said anything about an Oscar was AFTER he died. Not before. Prove me wrong.

MaulFan
11-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Show me a single article, quote, clip ANYTHING that backs that up. Because the first time anyone said anything about an Oscar was AFTER he died. Not before. Prove me wrong.

Well, I think there's a communication issue. You said would anyone, and I think Celtic's trying to say the fandom was feeling it before his death, but probably right, sadly, the groups responsible for awards probably didn't say boo about it before his death, but then again, his death was right around when folks might have a chance to even comment on his performance, so it's timing. If he'd died after the premier and folks weren't buzzing before his death, then a clear argument that his death was a huge factor could be made, but it's a bit of a grey area as it is, which sucks because it'd be nice to know if he gets anything for it, it's all based on skill and performance, not his tragedy.

darthviper107
11-24-2008, 05:13 PM
I think it's good that he's going for best supporting actor rather than best actor period--if you look at past nominees and winners in the supporting actor category he fits quite perfectly and would definitely win over most others. And so far this year I haven't seen any supporting actor performances that would outdo him.

It definitely wouldn't win best picture, I'm seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button doing that (at this point).

Probably Best Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography, Film Editing, and perhaps makeup. Those are really it's best chances. Maybe best adapted screenplay.

Devil_666
11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Well, I think there's a communication issue. You said would anyone, and I think Celtic's trying to say the fandom was feeling it before his death, but probably right, sadly, the groups responsible for awards probably didn't say boo about it before his death, but then again, his death was right around when folks might have a chance to even comment on his performance, so it's timing. If he'd died after the premier and folks weren't buzzing before his death, then a clear argument that his death was a huge factor could be made, but it's a bit of a grey area as it is, which sucks because it'd be nice to know if he gets anything for it, it's all based on skill and performance, not his tragedy.

True.. I thought it was clear what I meant because realistically fan/family opinion etc. doesn't matter. Sorry but it doesn't. Obviously fans and family will always be pulling for you if you're a star. I'm sure Jean Claude Van Damme fans buzz about awards with every piece of crap film he makes.. that's why that perspective is irrelevant.

So to be clear:

If Heath were alive would anyone involved with the Oscars or any entertainment/news outlets be talking about an Oscar for him OR TDK? Nope.

Again, disregarding fan input since generally fans tend to vote with their hearts as opposed to critically looking at an actors actual performance or how well a script was written, how well the acting is in a movie, etc.

Dally
11-24-2008, 06:20 PM

Yeah, but the movie didn't come out until months after he died. Before he died there was only a little trailer clip, not really enough to base any Oscar speculation off of.

hairlesswookiee
11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I think it's good that he's going for best supporting actor rather than best actor period--if you look at past nominees and winners in the supporting actor category he fits quite perfectly and would definitely win over most others. And so far this year I haven't seen any supporting actor performances that would outdo him.

It definitely wouldn't win best picture, I'm seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button doing that (at this point).

Probably Best Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Cinematography, Film Editing, and perhaps makeup. Those are really it's best chances. Maybe best adapted screenplay.
i agree with you completely. i'm not sure if TDK will get the best picture award, but feel that Ledger is a shoe in for supporting actor. and yes before his death i knew he was gonna hit a grand slam with his performance.

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, but the movie didn't come out until months after he died. Before he died there was only a little trailer clip, not really enough to base any Oscar speculation off of.

Oh yes there was.

If I cant count fans or anyone else...who do I count? Bums? Tribes in the jungle?

Check out any forum thread on the first trailer shown in December. People were talking Oscars. We were so blown away with the trailer....i'll find you one...

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey...look at that. Our very own Buttmunch posted this after he saw the trailer....BEFORE Ledger died....

Trailer Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap. Even in the poor quality leaked version, it is amazing. Heath Ledger? Who is that? I only saw the Joker in it! No kidding. I NEVER would have guess Heath Ledger was the Joker in this film if I didn't already know it. It doesn't look or sound like him. The close-up after the "Goodevening Commisoner" line is just freaky-creepy! Wow. Just wow. I think him using his tounge quite a bit adds to the creepy factor.

I will be very surprised if Heath is not nominated for an Oscar next year.

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11053&highlight=Dark+Knight&page=67

( a few posts down)

Dally
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
I didn't know that. I hadn't even seen the trailer until after he died. Well that is proof that people thought it was an awesome performance before he died. :D

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Exacly. After I am Legend was over, all I could talk about was Ledger's Joker. When he died...that was one of the few times where I really felt...bad...

Dally
11-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I hadn't really been hyping the Dark Knight before hand and wasn't paying attention because it felt so far off. But about a month or two before release when we started getting an influx of trailers and information it seemed so unfortunate that such talent was lost.

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
I was going to to the same. But that trailer....and I didnt even know it was coming on! It was such a surprise.

SOLIDSNAKE
11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
This was the best movie this year.
BALE AND LEDGER did an Incredible job.
If Heath dosent get an oscar I am going to be so pissed but I know the oscars have never given nominations to hyped up big summer blockbuster movies so will see.

CelticPredator
11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
....Pirates of the Carribbean.....

MaulFan
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
I think the academy will give summer blockbusters consideration if their quality is strong enough. Transformers for instance, as a film isn't anything special, but it was good enough to make big money. The first POTC and now TDK did well at the box office partly because it just had fun and escapism, but also because they have strong stories, engaging performances, and for the reasons films should be considered for awards, they're good films. Summer blockbuster has come to mean big budget, lots of explosions and hot chicks, it's rare to see a summer blockbuster that consists of a well assmbled film.

Dally
11-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah it is rare that a summer blockbuster is not only great fun, but also a great movie. And I think that The Dark Knight really was a great movie.

Ven
11-24-2008, 10:05 PM
POTC, please.. I knew ledger was going to be good after hearing his voice in the BEST trailer of em all.. the first teaser one... man when the theatre went black and the music started playing... great great feeling.

IrishJedi
11-24-2008, 10:33 PM
It's absolutely impossible for fans to be objective about this.

And that's fine. It's just the way it is.

Devil_666
11-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Oh yes there was.

If I cant count fans or anyone else...who do I count? Bums? Tribes in the jungle?

Check out any forum thread on the first trailer shown in December. People were talking Oscars. We were so blown away with the trailer....i'll find you one...

Show me a clip of an entertainment show (on tv or online) that mentioned Heath for an Oscar before he died. Show me an article (print or online) of any entertainment company that mentioned that. Bottomline when it comes to the people who count (i.e. the people who nominate and vote), there was ZERO talk. Period. Like I said, if fans decided who won what Ahnold and JCVD, Steven Segal, etc. would all have Oscars. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.

darthviper107
11-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Actually, I remember when the first full trailer came out, there was an article on some website about his performance and speculating about Oscars.

Although it was such a long time ago it would be hard to find.

Devil_666
11-24-2008, 11:17 PM
:rolleyes:

ffejeromdiks
11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Actually...everyone was very "unsure" on Heath as the Joker when the december trailer, everyone was still "I dont think Heath Ledger can pull it off"

I remember because I had to remind tons of people that he was a fantastic actor, the only mentions of Heath's performance being phenomenal were that of the crew and cast of TDK.

I believe TDK should be nominated in all categorys, I think it's total BS that Hans and James newton howard can't win best score, Heath will definatly win supporting, and Best picture? probably not, but we can hope.

Devil_666
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Actually...everyone was very "unsure" on Heath as the Joker when the december trailer, everyone was still "I dont think Heath Ledger can pull it off"

I remember because I had to remind tons of people that he was a fantastic actor, the only mentions of Heath's performance being phenomenal were that of the crew and cast of TDK.

Yup. Everyone was doubting him. But suddenly everyone NOW remembers the "Oscar Buzz". Riiiiiiight...

Buttmunch
11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Hey...look at that. Our very own Buttmunch posted this after he saw the trailer....BEFORE Ledger died....

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11053&highlight=Dark+Knight&page=67

( a few posts down)

Yeah! I knew what I was talking about :rock

I still agree with that statement. He blew me away in that first trailer. I was a doubter originally. I had only seen a Knight's Tale and the Brothers Grimm with him in a film before TDK so I didn't have a grasp on his acting ability. He was the Joker.

I believe in Heath Ledger.

SovereignStudio
11-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Bottomline when it comes to the people who count (i.e. the people who nominate and vote), there was ZERO talk. Period. Like I said, if fans decided who won what Ahnold and JCVD, Steven Segal, etc. would all have Oscars. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.

I don't know. Maybe it should be the fans who vote. Yeah, Arnold and those guys would have Oscars and Rambo would have been voted Best Picture but at least that would reflect what the movie goers decide. People who pay to see movies are the reason they can be made, thus also the reason for the awards. As it is these things are decided by a very small handful of critics and the like; people with their heads so far up their ass their mouths are right back where they started. People who think anything NOT starring Woody Allen is complete crap. A movie doesn't have to be a 3 + hour "epic" love story to be good, but try telling them that. If they're not voting for the giant love fest, they're swooning for some tiny little "art film" :rolleyes: Complete lack of budget does not automatically equal genius. Thankfully though that attitude mostly went out of style with the 90's. Truly GOOD movies (you know, those things that actually entertain us) never win Oscars.

Is TDK all it's cracked up to be? Art is subjective and it's all personal taste. Does "majority rule" make it great? Before you answer that remember we're dealing with a society full of people who need a warning label to tell them not to use a hairdryer in the shower. If something is great to you personally, then it's great. It's all rather pointless to argue if the movie is great, or why it is or isn't. To a lot of people it's the greatest thing ever filmed. To others it's just a pretty good movie. Who cares what it wins, or why? Look at how the whole system of the Oscars works. If you really love a movie, do you actually want it to win? Doesn't really help me, knowing something I love has gained the approval of people I don't trust or respect.

CelticPredator
11-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Show me a clip of an entertainment show (on tv or online) that mentioned Heath for an Oscar before he died. Show me an article (print or online) of any entertainment company that mentioned that. Bottomline when it comes to the people who count (i.e. the people who nominate and vote), there was ZERO talk. Period. Like I said, if fans decided who won what Ahnold and JCVD, Steven Segal, etc. would all have Oscars. Thankfully it doesn't work like that.

People on those shows dont count either.

And after the december trailer, MOST people said he can pull it off. Only a few Burtonnites were angry.

Morbach
11-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I really like these they're really classy looking. I like the first one the most.

darren1228
11-25-2008, 08:45 AM

I do not remember much doubts about Ledger's ability after the first trailer was shown. I recall the majority of people wowed by his performance in the trailer and many claimed that "they didn't even see Ledger they saw the Joker."

And of course there was no Oscar buzz prior to his death.....Ledger died in January and the film was released in July. They probably hadn't even finished the final cut at that time. If no one had seen the film how is it possible to have an Oscar buzz?

Morbach
11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I do not remember much doubts about Ledger's ability after the first trailer was shown. I recall the majority of people wowed by his performance in the trailer and many claimed that "they didn't even see Ledger they saw the Joker."

And of course there was no Oscar buzz prior to his death.....Ledger died in January and the film was released in July. They probably hadn't even finished the final cut at that time so how could there have been an Oscar buzz?

exactly,my sister is a huge fan of ledger's and after we saw the dark knight she said "oh my god, that was heath ledger!" like she forgot who he was or that it was him playing the part. when you sit back and realize that the joker was the dude from a knights take,you're taken back a bit and are like "whoa,I can't belive that's the same guy".

uscmhicks
11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
how can there be an oscar buzz for someone when there movie isn't even released ?.
Alive or not ?.

I think if he was still alive it would be the same.
The movie has been nominated for best picture and best supporting actor , I don't think its just Heath making this movie so special.
Regardless of how awesome his performance is the movie is brilliant.

Nominated Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain.

He hadn't passed away when this movie was released but still he was nominated.
Yes , its a shock that a superhero movie is getting these nominations but think about it.

The dark knight in most of peoples opinions is by far the best superhero movie.
The movie featured Christian Bale , Heath Ledger , Morgan Freeman , Aaron Eckhart , Michael Caine , Gary Oldman , Maggie Gyllenhaal , Cillian Murphy and so on who have all won and been nominated for countless awards.
A well known and great director who has also been nominated and won countless awards.

list

The script was great , the whole team behind the movie seemed to give 110% and in the end it came out brilliant.
This movie in most peoples minds isn't even really classed as a superhero movie. Because Nolan went so deep with Batmans story in Begins, showing him growing up , training and having such push to do the things he did all in one movie it really built up hype for the Dark Knight. Whilst most movies just let the first half hour show how the main character(s) became " superheros " Nolan built a whole movie around this.
Begns itself was nominated for an oscar . Best Achievement in Cinematography , Wally Pfister.
Heath Ledger was an amazing actor and had pure talent. Regardless of what movie you might be in if you show an amazing performance which he did , why not be nominated ? .
If your answer is because this is a superhero movie , sure , why not. But if any movie should break this rule it should be this one. Change happens.
I think this movie deserves both awards regardless of who might of sadly passed away.

Sure , Heaths death might of made more people go and see the movie and might of added more memory to it but if this is the one true reason that the movie and Heaths performance has been nominated I don't think these awards are even worth caring about anyway.

Nocturne
11-25-2008, 04:06 PM
All very valid points, but i'm sure there's a part in all of us that wants to see a Superhero movie stick it to the traditional nominees

MaulFan
11-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Felt like making one of these myself.

http://www.swmmedia.com/TDK/FYCTDK1.jpg

uscmhicks
11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
awesome job. :rock:rock:rock:rock2

Devil_666
11-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Honestly whether he wins or not or even if he's nominated, doesn't change the fact that he was great in it. Best Batman movie so far imo and I like Heath's peformance/portrayal even more than Jacks in the 89 Batman.

uscmhicks
11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I like Heath's peformance/portrayal even more than Jacks in the 89 Batman.

just do what I did and have them both together. :D.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l448/uscmhicks/DSC02727.jpg

Devil_666
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
That's not part of the plan. :(

uscmhicks
11-25-2008, 05:12 PM
its all part of the plan !. :lol

UTtoyfan
11-25-2008, 05:13 PM
its all part of the plan !. :lol

Where does he get those wonderful toys? :D:lol

Dr.Mirakle32
11-25-2008, 06:36 PM
I think his performance was so good, he at least deserves a nomination. Not sure about a win, though. It's not like an Oscar is gonna do his career much good.

CelticPredator
11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
But its the idea of it. That the proformence was just too amazing.

The Ringer
11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/13/the-dark-knights-score-disqualified-from-oscar-consideration/

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Dally
11-25-2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/11/13/the-dark-knights-score-disqualified-from-oscar-consideration/

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

:banghead That is disappointing. The DK score was amazing.

The Ringer
11-25-2008, 09:51 PM
It is sad news because the score was phenominal!

I can't wait for that extended release!:cool:

CelticPredator
11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
I loved the score....but, i'm not too worked up about it. I thought Brian Tyler did a great job this year with his Rambo score....which I think is my favorite of the year.

wofford29
11-26-2008, 06:33 AM
After Johnny Greenwood's score for "There Will Be Blood" was disqualified last year by the Oscars I gave up on that award from the academy. They have some serious catching up to do with their rules.

MaulFan
11-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Ya, with scores, a good score should be a good score, no matter who composed it or whatever.

Riko
11-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I think this movie by far deserves both without looking at the others !.

you couldn't make a more stupid remark towards all the other FILM-fans here...

Don't you know that the Oscars are not a comic book event...it is a movie-event. The best movies are rewarded...not the best comic-movies, (some fanboys seem to forget that :))

but saying that TDK deserves to win without even looking at the competitors is just stupid. IF it would win in some categories (wich I do hope) I at least would like to know wich movies it has beaten...

Also, it is a big achievement for a comic book movie to get a campagne started for the nominations in categories as Best Director and Best Film and Best supporting actor and Best Actor....for a comic book movie. This is the first time in history that a comic book movie is a serious player for the Oscars...you should be proud of that. That is truely historical!

People who are sceptical of comic book movie-nominations for an oscar in categories as best Film/Director/screenplay/Actor/ Supporting Actor would be glad to use such stupid comments like the one you made as an argument against such nominations as typical narrowminded fan-boy reaction with no sense for taste what so ever.

Personally, Heath DID do a good job, and it is fair to think that he will get nominated for Best supporting actor.
Will he win? fanboy or not, he did a terrific job BUT it depends on how strong the other candidates are...personally I think it is realistic that he could win.

Best director? dunno, who are the other candidates? but I think not
Best film? nomination would be great, but, winning I doubt it.
Best screenplay? nomination I think will happen, and winning would be deservered, because that is what made this movie stand out to the rest of comic book movies, it is really adult...so let's hope so!

technical nomination it could win certainly. Begins even got nominated for its photography, so I don't see why TDK, wich is superior to Begins technically wouldn't get nominated at least in this categorie...(the first movie with imax cameras ever)

The movie has been nominated for best picture and best supporting actor , I don't think its just Heath making this movie so special.
Regardless of how awesome his performance is the movie is brilliant.

Nominated Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain.

lol, you speak as if the movie is already nominated in those categories :)
the movie isn't even officially nominated in those categories dude...the list has yet to come out.

this is a campagne from WB, you know, the studio that made TDK, who hopes to get some nominations...

Riko
11-26-2008, 07:54 AM

actully he just got nominated
+ Al Pacino also got nominated for best support in his role as mob-boss in ^^^^ Tracey...

so do not bother about the fact it is just a comic book character. The nomination for Ledger will be there, but I think winning it would be not unrealistic..

I think they're trying to steer away from the fact that it is a Batman movie. :lol I mean come on who ever thought that a Batman movie would be an Oscar contender?

actually, there is a similar poster from WB for Christian Bale for Best Actor....

Riko
11-26-2008, 08:05 AM
If Heath dosent get an oscar I am going to be so pissed but I know the oscars have never given nominations to hyped up big summer blockbuster movies so will see.
star wars'
titanic
pirates'
lord of the rings'
jurassic park's
indiana's
spider-man's

the list goes on and on with the most commercial, big, hyped, summer, block buster movies...

Truly GOOD movies (you know, those things that actually entertain us) never win Oscars.

Movies like in the list above do not win oscars? wrong, they all made oscars, but not always for Best Film...but I guess you meant in the categorie: Best Movie, right?

If taste is personal and subjective, why are there Review and list with top 100 and top 250 etc?
Because I do believe there is certain concensus about good taste.
And good story telling is a very important factor in making a good movie. (that is what makes TDK stand out of the rest in the genre...if it makes a change, it is because of that alone!)

When I was like 10 years, I loved Steven Segal movies :)
Now that I am older I do not find his movies "good" and oscar worthy :rolleyes:
THOUGH I do still enjoy them :) but it is a different kind of appreciation. The kind of appreciation that has nothing to do with good quality movies. At the end of the day, I will still enjoy a Segal movie, I will laugh, have a popcorn, etc...but putting it next to something like "Good Will Hunting" I can see the difference... I you know what I mean.

And if the Acadamy every nominate films like Steven Seagals...just because of the high popcorn-value as I like to call it, than that would be in my opinion a wrong criterion...
But The Dark Knight hás a good story that can compete with non-comic book movies, so I think it even has a chance for nomination...
And so I bet, you will turn around your critique about the oscars criterion of nominations if the Acadamy actually give TDK a oscar for Best Film :rolleyes:

niennumb1
11-27-2008, 12:44 AM
It'll probably go to some stupid end of the year film called something like "Mel Ablique" and with some newcomer supporting actress named Fracis Dremario.

The film will have also grossed only $300,000 domestically, but it will be held high with critical acclaim.

This is why I like the MTV Movie awards. At least they are films people give a damn about.

CelticPredator
11-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Twilight should win best picture!

And I disagree....I mean, I LOVED Transformers, but I wouldnt have it win against No Country for Old Men....

uscmhicks
11-27-2008, 02:23 PM
you couldn't make a more stupid remark towards all the other FILM-fans here...

I stretched the truth because I'm a huge fan of the movie , obviously I don't think it deserves it without looking at the rest.
Its as if you don't understand humour.
Don't take thing so seriously !. :monkey1
That came across as rude. :google:rotfl

Cap'n Cook
11-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I stretched the truth because I'm a huge fan of the movie , obviously I don't think it deserves it without looking at the rest.
Its as if you don't understand humour.
Don't take thing so seriously !. :monkey1
That came across as rude. :google:rotfl

Don't fret uscmhicks, Riko is very rude going by my past posts with him.

Anyways, I love the score.

CelticPredator
11-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I still say so far, TDK is the best of the year. Nothing has surpassed it. Iron Man came oh so very close. But The Joker is just the winning ingredient for me.

Cap'n Cook
11-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I still say so far, TDK is the best of the year. Nothing has surpassed it. Iron Man came oh so very close. But The Joker is just the winning ingredient for me.

Couldn't agree more. I was surpsied how great the IM music was too.

It's a lot more 'superhero generic', but I still enjoy it.

CelticPredator
11-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm talking about the movie....

But the IM music and TDK was good as well.

Rambo had the best soundtrack all year, I thought.

SovereignStudio
11-28-2008, 01:06 AM
star wars'
titanic
pirates'
lord of the rings'
jurassic park's
indiana's
spider-man's

the list goes on and on with the most commercial, big, hyped, summer, block buster movies...

Movies like in the list above do not win oscars? wrong, they all made oscars, but not always for Best Film...but I guess you meant in the categorie: Best Movie, right?

If taste is personal and subjective, why are there Review and list with top 100 and top 250 etc?
Because I do believe there is certain concensus about good taste.
And good story telling is a very important factor in making a good movie. (that is what makes TDK stand out of the rest in the genre...if it makes a change, it is because of that alone!)

When I was like 10 years, I loved Steven Segal movies :)
Now that I am older I do not find his movies "good" and oscar worthy :rolleyes:
THOUGH I do still enjoy them :) but it is a different kind of appreciation. The kind of appreciation that has nothing to do with good quality movies. At the end of the day, I will still enjoy a Segal movie, I will laugh, have a popcorn, etc...but putting it next to something like "Good Will Hunting" I can see the difference... I you know what I mean.

And if the Acadamy every nominate films like Steven Seagals...just because of the high popcorn-value as I like to call it, than that would be in my opinion a wrong criterion...
But The Dark Knight hás a good story that can compete with non-comic book movies, so I think it even has a chance for nomination...
And so I bet, you will turn around your critique about the oscars criterion of nominations if the Acadamy actually give TDK a oscar for Best Film :rolleyes:

Sure, good movies get nominated for certain categories. They can't pick three "art" films and nominate them for everything, that would be a little too transparent. Though, I'm sure they would like to. And when movies like 'Star Wars' wins a secondary category like Best Sound it just feels like it's being dismissed with a "pity" nod. "Sure, the movie sounds good, but it sucks in every other way". And nominees/winners are NOT always accurate reflections of quality story telling. Two good examples: 'Monster's Ball' and 'The English Patient'. I've never seen two movies that were more loosely tossed together, meandering, pointless and pretentious in my life. Both were huge "Critic" favorites. Look at the fan base and legacy of something like 'Star Wars' or Indiana Jones. Do you think anyone will give a damn about 'The English Patient' in 30 years? I think you're half-right. I think there are two general concensus regarding taste: the general public and the critics. If you aksed a critic the best film of all time would likely be 'The Godfather'. If you asked a regular Joe it would problaby be 'Star Wars'. If you compare the legacy of the two; box office, influence on fans and today's film makers, impact on the industry, etc. it would definitely be 'Star Wars'.
Your point about Segal movies is a good one, and kinda says what I was trying to say. If I'm entertained, if it's a movie I would buy on DVD and watch again, then to me it's a GOOD movie. It doesn't have to win some award to validate it for me. Also I will turn on something, even if it's good, if it's over-hyped. That happened recently with 'No Country For Old Men'. If I had a chance to simply watch it, I may have liked it. But you have every critic in the world hitting you over the head, telling you that you MUST like this movie or you're stupid..... that's an instant turn off to me. To this day I hate 'The Godfather'. It's in that small group of movies that, if you don't love it completely you owe, I mean literally owe, people an expalnation as to why you don't. That's irritating beyond belief. It's just a mafia movie, a subject I care nothing about, filled with over rated actors I don't care for.
I like movies that entertain me; movies I wish I had written and show me characters I would want to be and stories I would like to be a part of. 'Star Wars' does all of these things for me. A movie like 'There Will Be Blood' does NONE of those things for me. That guy is a mierable, viscious prick. Who would want to be that guy, or want his life? It may be a good movie "technically" but it did not move me or inspire me at all. I dislike the way movies are broken down when they're "value" is being judged, too; score, cinematography the technical value of someone's performance based on the criteria learned in a semester of film school before flunking out and becoming a "critc"..... All of those criteria, to me, are like CGI: if they're truly superior, I won't notice it, it will just work for the story. If the cinematography stands out as its own entity, it pulls me out of the story just like bad/flashy CGI.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 01:12 AM
There Would be Blood is great. Daniel Plainfield is one of the most evil, yet funniest characters ever.

"I'VE ABONDONED MY SOOOONNNN!!!!"

"MILKSHAKE!"

Just awesome.

wofford29
11-28-2008, 01:25 AM
There Would be Blood is great. Daniel Plainfield is one of the most evil, yet funniest characters ever.

"I'VE ABONDONED MY SOOOONNNN!!!!"

"MILKSHAKE!"

Just awesome.

There Would be Blood = There Will Be Blood

Daniel Plainfield = Daniel Plainview

I've ABONDONED MY SOOOONNNN!!!! = I've Abondoned my child!

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm very tried. And my trian of thought is off.

Who the hell is Plainfield???? Why did that name come up...?

wofford29
11-28-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't know, but the post made me laugh fo reelz if it's any consolation.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Glad to help. But I really want to know where Plainfield came from. Like I really thought that was his name.....

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Ah....its because people use Plainfield more for some reason....rubbed off onto me. Yanno?

a-dev
11-28-2008, 05:05 PM

I think its fair to say that TDK was the best film of the year and to mention it in the same breath as the more arty, poncy films the academy prefers to vote for. I think you take away from your statement about TDK being the best of the year by following it up with 'but Iron Man came oh so close' - people would easily then categorise your opinion as nothing more than that of a sci-fi/fantasy superhero fanboy. Because Iron Man, while a perfectly serviceable 'classic style' superhero film doesn't have the depth and intelligence of TDK. It would nowhere near be considered an oscar contender for anything other than special effects in any movie year. No disrespect to it. However TDK ought to stand a chance of being taken more seriously by those 'serious' people.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 05:19 PM
I know...but i'm talking about my opinion, and what I saw this year. Iron Man and The Dark Knight were the best films I saw this year.

And I dont really care what "serious" people think. I dont think, other then W. I saw one drama movie this year. None of them seemed....interesting to me.

a-dev
11-28-2008, 05:44 PM
And I dont really care what "serious" people think..

I do. I was thrilled when Return of the King won every oscar it was nominated for and got best picture. Sure it wasn't actually the best Lord of the Rings film but it gave hope that a genre I love could actually get acknowledgement beyond the likes of MTV or Empire. Not saying I need sci-fi/fantasy to be acknowledged and appreciated by these serious people in order to enjoy it myself - but it is nice. And damn it would be great if, of all things, a superhero film won Best Picture.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Well yeah, that would be great too. But Iron Man was still, to me, one of the best films of the year.

Devil_666
11-28-2008, 06:54 PM
The problem is, normal fans don't watch EVERY movie that comes out. Critics etc. do. So fans watch a couple of movies, usually within the same type of genres and then from that select field choose the "best" film. Imagine if you were in a contest with 20 other people and when the judges started to decide who the winner was they only looked at 9 of the 20 people and then decided the winner. You'd feel F'd over big time.. and rightfully so. Because it's not fair. That's the problem I have. I don't watch every movie that comes out.. so I can't honestly say what was best, etc. I can say "imo" or "for me" but I can't outright declare one film better than other films I didn't even watch. That's just me.

a-dev
11-28-2008, 07:11 PM
The problem is, normal fans don't watch EVERY movie that comes out. Critics etc. do. I don't watch every movie that comes out.. so I can't honestly say what was best, etc. I can say "imo" or "for me" but I can't outright declare one film better than other films I didn't even watch.

Hmm. Yes fair point. We're all here quite biased - but academy voters, up till 2003 were always no less biased against this genre. Heres hoping they give it its due - for one thing if this particular superhero film can't get the nod none ever will.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Well...you can. You watch a bunch of films throughout the year, and you pick your favorite out of the bunch. You dont need to see every Twilight, or "BLANK" Movie there is to justify your opinion.

Not that i'd put Iron Man for Best Picture....

darthviper107
11-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I think there aren't any possible contenders for Best Supporting Actor.

Two highly-rated films just came out (obviously a bid for Oscars) which were Milk and Frost/Nixon, but both of those have a focus on leading actors. There aren't any Oscar-Worthy films coming out in time that would have Supporting Actor bids.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Josh Brolin should totally win Lead Actor....he was brilliant as Bush.

Ven
11-28-2008, 11:49 PM
no, he should win for the goonies.

CelticPredator
11-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Of course.

Bardoon
11-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Ok I didn't read every page so if this was mentioned before mah bad.

I think the Academy sometimes shys away from recognizing those acting jobs that have had a global impact on an actor/character/society. For example, when Johnny Depp did Jack Sparrow...everyone was amazed by this wacky character and immediately fell in love with him and he was talked about everywhere! Depp ended up getting a nomination for that...they were almost forced to do it even if they didn't want to...it was such a strong presentation of a unique character.

Same goes with the Joker. This was such a unique appearance that has EVERYONE talking and has influenced the world around us. Sentences like "Why so serious?" will always now draw reference to TDK and you can see around us how his acting has impacted everyone...not only their perception of the Joker...but as the twisted serial killer that he is...strip away the Joker stuff and you can still see this as a unique villain in a movie.

UTtoyfan
12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Here's an unofficial site campaigning for the Dark Knight at the Oscars. That poster that a fan made on the page is too cool!

http://www.darkcampaign.com/

Here is their video, set to the track "Like a Dog Chasing Cars".
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lQAngWiJEM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7lQAngWiJEM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

uscmhicks
12-03-2008, 09:31 AM
that is awesome. Great video too.
http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/oscars.jpg

maskfreak
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
I am sure it will be nominated a few times.

Nocturne
12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
that is awesome. Great video too.
http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/oscars.jpg

That poster is genius, I love it!

a-dev
12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
After watching that 'DarkCampaign' video with all those lovely review quotes I'm going to be pretty disappointed if TDK doesn't get a Best Picture nomination...more disappointed than I've ever been by the oscars. Theres no reason why a film in this genre shouldn't be considered when its as good as this film was.

CelticPredator
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
You know....even though I loved the movie....I really wasnt too excited about the DVD, but after that video....Dec 9th cant come soon enough!

UTtoyfan
12-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Nolan, Bale, and Eckhart talk about the Oscars.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gjvsDg9hAnh78d-tj2WmrfcB-d7QD94S20SG0

naria
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Great video! Can't wait for the 9th and am hoping to see the nominations.

MaulFan
12-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I love the respect everyone has for Heath and his performance. Everytime I read comments form Nolan, he sounds like a proud father wanting to show off his kid's work.

CelticPredator
12-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Unrelated...but I got my teacher to let us watch TDK in our movie making class. For no reason. Yeah, that'll be a fun day.

Nocturne
12-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Shame you can't milk it further by letting you watch all the extra's too

CelticPredator
12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm not buying that DVD anyway. I want that coin.

Morbach
12-05-2008, 08:32 AM
dk better win some damn awards :lol

UTtoyfan
12-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Heath Ledger's first award (that I know of so far). Hopefully not the last.

Ledger Wins Australian Film Institute's Best Actor Award
http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=7883

Devil_666
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Hmmm...

LOS ANGELES - As the box-office bankroll climbed for " The Dark Knight " last summer, the Hollywood consensus was that a posthumous nomination for Heath Ledger was the Batman blockbuster's best Academy Awards hope.

Now that critics have gotten a peek at all the last-minute Oscar contenders, "The Dark Knight" has emerged as a solid contender for best picture and best director for Christopher Nolan .

Web sites such as TheEnvelope.com and Awardsdaily.com rank Nolan and Ledger among key Oscar contenders and list "The Dark Knight" alongside best-picture possibilities such as Ron Howard 's "Frost/Nixon," Gus Van Sant 's "Milk" and David Fincher's " The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ."

"Far be it for me to try and predict, and I think that anybody looks like a (jerk) if you really try to predict what people are going to vote for. But certainly, for me, I think that the serious contenders in this movie in my mind are Heath, Chris for director because he's done an extraordinary job, and I do believe best picture, as well," " Dark Knight " star Christian Bale said Wednesday night at a cocktail reception for the filmmakers and critics.

It's unusual for an action flick to climb into the company of Hollywood 's year-end prestige pictures, with Oscar voters tending toward highbrow literary works rather than comic-book adaptations. Among the action films that made the best-picture cut at the Oscars were the three " Lord of the Rings " movies and " Raiders of the Lost Ark ."

But building on the critical and commercial success of 2005's " Batman Begins ," the sequel elevated the superhero genre to a new high, with critics ranking "The Dark Knight" as one of the year's best films.

"It is a genre movie, but I think it goes beyond it with the themes in this movie," said "Dark Knight" co-star Aaron Eckhart . "It's an important movie sociologically. I feel like in this day and age, with terrorism and with the cancers of the city and people trying to find a voice within their own city, this is an important film.

"But it's a Batman film, so it has that going for it. It has that going against it."

With about $1 billion in worldwide theatrical grosses, "The Dark Knight" arrives on home video Tuesday, two days before the Golden Globe nominations , where the movie could gain some Oscar momentum if it scores well there.

Ledger, who died in January of an accidental prescription drug overdose, is considered a likely supporting-actor nominee for his diabolical performance as Batman nemesis the Joker. Oscar nominations come out Jan. 22, the one-year anniversary of Ledger's death.

"I'd like to think he would be very quietly proud of the fact that people really responded to it in the way he'd intended, were moved by the performance," Nolan said. "As far as Heath goes, any and every validation of the success of his performance is a great source of pride to me and relief to me that I've done my end of getting his performance out there."

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org-oscar-knight-batman-rises-serious-contender-ap

If TDK got Picture, Director and Best Supporting Actor + the amount of money it made (not including DVD sales) sweet lord.. Here's hoping.

Nocturne
12-07-2008, 02:32 AM
definitely sounds like a good sign, I'm almost tempted to head off down the bookies to put my money where my mouth is

Vincent Shaw
12-07-2008, 05:58 AM
He killed that fugly ^^^^^ Rachel, give him an oscar and a medal please!

Devil_666
12-07-2008, 07:41 AM
This is just my theory.. but I think the reason the Joker killed Rachel is because her Brother turned him gay in Brokeback Mountain. Just a theory. :monkey3

Nocturne
12-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I think it's more a case of wrong identity, he was really after Katie Holmes for her performance in Begins

Wetanut
12-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Does Ledger deserve nomination? Of course. Will he get it? 50-50. I believe that Supporting Actor Oscars have traditionally gone to the up-and-coming with only a few going to those who've done a good body of work and only because voters believe the actor has just done the best role they'll probably ever get in their long but waning career. Sure Ledger did a phenomenal job, but because he died, they'll be looking for those who did a role who nearly came close. They like to encourage younger/newer actors or those who've been in the game for years without prior recognition so why would they give to one who can't really benefit from it? Haven't researched this much, but to my knowledge, there has only been one actor who won (out of many nominated) postumously -- Peter Finch for "Network." Unless the nostalgia factor comes into play, there's a good chance Ledger won't win. I hope he does.

Devil_666
12-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Haven't researched this much, but to my knowledge, there has only been one actor who won (out of many nominated) postumously -- Peter Finch for "Network."

Here..

Best Actor: Peter Finch is the only posthumous winner, and James Dean, Spencer Tracy, and Massimo Troisi are the only other posthumously nominated performers in this category. Dean was posthumously nominated twice.

Best Supporting Actor: There have been no posthumous winners of this award, and Sir Ralph Richardson was the only person posthumously nominated - in 1984 for Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1983).

CelticPredator
12-07-2008, 10:54 AM
This is just my theory.. but I think the reason the Joker killed Rachel is because her Brother turned him gay in Brokeback Mountain. Just a theory. :monkey3

:horror:lol

Darth Snoopy
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Here are two great looking ads in this weeks Variety. I think they're also a sad reminder.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6546/heathledgerfycbp7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/522/darknightbpyq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Excellent.

You better be listening Hollywood! :emperor

El Guason 89
12-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Wow, those look pretty good. Anyways, I've been let down by the oscar voters before like when they didn't even nominate Ian McDiarmid (for best supporting actor as well) for Palpatine in ROTS, then again (as has been mentioned) they don't really give those kinds of movies much attention, but I think Heath Ledger's perfomance is on a whole other level, and so is TDK compared to other comicbook/fantasy movies, so I'm with the majority that feels theres a good chance he'll take this one or at least be nominated.

Nocturne
12-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Best Ensemble Cast Ad
http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/gallery/1228581990.jpg

Found at Batman Movie Online (http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/)

MaulFan
12-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I think the ensemble for TDK was great, and top notch performances from every part. I can't imagine what ensemble could compete with it.

a-dev
12-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Theres an award for best ensemble cast?

Nocturne
12-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks like it, they seem to have an Oscar for everything, except Stuntmen because they're too damn snobby to acknowledge the people who put their lives on the line to make the movies they turn their noses up at, typically the one's that keep the studio afloat while they make a "prestige picture"

a-dev
12-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Looks like it, they seem to have an Oscar for everything, except Stuntmen because they're too damn snobby to acknowledge the people who put their lives on the line to make the movies they turn their noses up at, typically the one's that keep the studio afloat while they make a "prestige picture"

Thats criminal. Good point, stuntmen/women do deserve recognition.

Nocturne
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
A lot of the action stars like Schwarzenneger have campaigned for it but the academy have essentially ignored them.

This is of course the same academy that refused Tron an effects Oscar because they said using computers for effects was "cheating"

Ven
12-07-2008, 01:37 PM
A lot of the action stars like Schwarzenneger have campaigned for it but the academy have essentially ignored them.

This is of course the same academy that refused Tron an effects Oscar because they said using computers for effects was "cheating"

so isn't making movies through CGI like finding nemo cheating?

Nocturne
12-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Apparently not anymore, it does show just how backwards thinking the Academy is though.

In the year it was released the Motion Picture Academy refused to nominate Tron for special effects because they said we 'cheated' when we used computers which, in the light of what happened, is just mind-boggling

Wetanut
12-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Theres an award for best ensemble cast?

Award for Best Ensemble Cast is for the SAG awards (Screen Actors Guild). Since it's all about actors (SAG is the union), they've decided to call it Best Ensemble Cast rather than Best Picture .... same meaning basically though.

Morbach
12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
he won the award for best villian and best actor at the spike tv scream awards. It's a low rate award show,I know,but he still won. As did Gary Oldman for his role as gordon and Christian Bale won for best superhero and christopher nolan won for best script and movie.

Darth Snoopy
12-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Thats criminal. Good point, stuntmen/women do deserve recognition.

Indeed they do.

uscmhicks
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Indeed they do.

love that sig. :lol

UTtoyfan
12-09-2008, 08:47 AM
The Washington Film Critics Association has named Heath Best Supporting Actor of the year.
http://www.altfg.com/blog/awards/washington-dc-film-critics-awards-2008/
http://www.dcfilmcritics.com/awards/index.htm

Slumdog Millionaire gets another Best Picture award. Seems like Slumdog will be the big dog at the Oscars. ;)

Darth Snoopy
12-09-2008, 09:47 AM
love that sig. :lol

Thanks! When I first saw that gif I was :rotfl !

tomandshell
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
The score's eligibility has been restored. It can now be considered for an Oscar:

http://weblogs.variety.com/thesetlist/2008/12/dark-knight-sco.html

uscmhicks
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM
awesome news. :rock

IrishJedi
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
The Washington Film Critics Association has named Heath Best Supporting Actor of the year.
http://www.altfg.com/blog/awards/washington-dc-film-critics-awards-2008/
http://www.dcfilmcritics.com/awards/index.htm

Slumdog Millionaire gets another Best Picture award. Seems like Slumdog will be the big dog at the Oscars. ;)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button will likely become the Oscar front-runner once it's released.

Wetanut
12-09-2008, 05:04 PM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button will likely become the Oscar front-runner once it's released.

Am getting that vibe also Irish. Wall-E won LA Critics for Best Picture! GO you lovable hunka rusting junk! :clap

galactiboy
12-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Ledger's performance really was inspired... I can't think of much else this year that was as entertaining as him, especially in the "supporting" role, although I think his performance made the movie.

MaulFan
12-09-2008, 06:09 PM
The interesting thing is it seems like award groups measure top performances more by some measurable quality or something, and not so much on the ability of a performance to engage the audience. Ledger's Joker could probably be disected by acting instructors and what not for flaws, but in the end whatever he did had the power to fascinate and entertain, which to me is a top notch performance. Who cares how powerful your performance is technically if the overall bores the audience to sleep.

UTtoyfan
12-09-2008, 06:47 PM

I can't wait to see both Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire!

UTtoyfan
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Los Angeles Film Critics announced their winners today:

Again, Heath wins Best Supporting actor. Notice that Dark Knight is the runner up Best Picture after Wall-E!

http://www.lafca.net/news.html

Batty
12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Ledger was nominated for a Golden Globe this morning.

yongkykun
12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Makes you wonder... on Tim Burton movies, the center of the film focuses on the origin story of the villains and also give the villains more screen time than Bruce Wayne/Batman. Now it seems to be like that in a way, with Nolan's Dark Knight. And thankfully it turned out okay. But the sad part is that, C.Bale doesn't look like he gives much attention to his art on the movie. His acting seems bland. Like he intentionally passed the flag to Ledger. Anyone else notice this?

MaulFan
12-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I thought Bale continued Wayne as he established him in Begins and his acting was of the same calibur, just less screen time per scene so he didn't get to go as deep.

Devil_666
12-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Ledger was nominated for a Golden Globe this morning.

And that's it. TDK was snubbed minus that nomination for Heath.

DarkArtist81
12-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Well, it's a start. Nobody thought ROTK would get anything, but that changed. When a film becomes as large as this one, it is a possibility. I don't think it will get Best Picture or Director, but I would hope for at least a nom for Heath.

Even if he were alive today, I would be saying the same exact thing. The dude deserves every bit of recognition for his work in that film. It really elevated the film to legendary status.

galactiboy
12-11-2008, 02:06 PM
I agree... I think he at least deserves a nomination based on his performance, not just as a "aw wouldn't that be nice".

MaulFan
12-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Even if he were alive today, I would be saying the same exact thing. The dude deserves every bit of recognition for his work in that film. It really elevated the film to legendary status.

Abosultely. Anytime it crosses my mind Ledger deserves praise for Joker, I don't consider his death, hell sometimes I forget he's gone. I think it because it's what the performance did. I spent the first time watching the DVD waiting for each Joker scene, when it got to Batman and Harvey I'd be thinking in my head, when's the next Joker part haha. Ledger created a memorable and engaging character that, provided your into this kind of film, puts you on the endge of your seat waiting to see what he does next. To me, that marks a performance worthy of praise. An actor's job is to entertain. If you do it so well that people can't wait to see more of it, how much better could people ask of you.

Nocturne
12-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Is true, you just can't help but be drawn into his performance.

darthviper107
12-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Well, the only other things it could have possibly been going for were Best Picture and Best Director, and those were a little bit of a dream anyways. Without all the technical awards there isn't much that it can get.

aussieinnyc
12-12-2008, 12:38 AM
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more talk about "best cinematography". They really did achieve quite a lot through the use of IMAX, and in a way it hasn't been used before. Maybe it's been considered too much of a "gimmick"

yongkykun
12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm a bit surprised there isn't more talk about "best cinematography". They really did achieve quite a lot through the use of IMAX, and in a way it hasn't been used before. Maybe it's been considered too much of a "gimmick"

If you're referring to movies with scenes or shots that are made for IMAX, then Superman Returns has some scenes made with IMAX camera and was played in IMAX theaters worldwide. I don't know any other movies that was shot in IMAX format, though.

CristiMAN
12-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Just some nice articles about TDK, Richard Roeper's top 25 films of the year, Globes and Oscars...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Note-To-Awards-Givers-Ignore-The-Dark-Knight-At-Your-Peril-11216.html

http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/1325823,MOV-News-best12.article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQAngWiJEM

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/12/11/golden-globes-deny-the-dark-knight-heath-ledger-nominated/

scubasteve
12-12-2008, 08:46 AM

I think that's about all TDK has hopes for. I'd be astonished if it got Best Pic nom.

UTtoyfan
12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Stephen King lists his top ten movies of this year. Three guesses as to what movie is his #1. :cool:
I definitely agree with his top three, although some of the other 7 movies I'm kinda going "What?" in my head. But hey, it's Stephen King!
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20245818,00.html

a-dev
12-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Stephen King lists his top ten movies of this year. Three guesses as to what movie is his #1. :cool:
I definitely agree with his top three, although some of the other 7 movies I'm kinda going "What?" in my head. But hey, it's Stephen King!
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20245818,00.html

Looking at the talkback in that link the predictable TDK backlash is operating in full force. Theres a real danger TDK could become the Titanic of the genre - so backlashed against that it actually becomes 'underrated'!

Nocturne
12-13-2008, 04:56 PM
But then you only have to look at the movies that those people said "were much better" and you have to wonder if they managed to type that when their carer had their back turned for a moment.

The Tuggernaut
12-13-2008, 05:03 PM
TDK will win both IMO.

CristiMAN
12-13-2008, 05:16 PM
It would be great if TDK does the same The Return Of The King did, but we all know it's just too dificult to happen. Jackson had two films previous to make the Academy realize how good it really was. Nolan and TDK are destined to become the film that owned the year but not the oscars. And Nolan will win the oscar for a far inferior film. Like Scorcese (Taxi Driver/Raging Bull/Goodfellas) and Ridley Scott (Blade Runner/Alien). Those films are alltime classics but didnt get the oscars. And who cares? The Dark Knight has his place in film History and that is what it matters. Ledger will win. And some technical maybe. But original script-best director-best film I guess it wont. Some abominations have won it it the past years (Shakespeare in Love, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind or Chicago) but I guess the label "superhero blockbuster film" it´s just too heavy to be forgoten... It's a shame, but the cruel truth...

a-dev
12-13-2008, 05:22 PM
what erm...what was wrong with Gladiator?

CristiMAN
12-13-2008, 05:27 PM
what erm...what was wrong with Gladiator?

Sorry, but a corny b-movie in Ridley Scott filmography. It's the Academy redeeming for ignoring his masterpiece: Blade Runner. We could go on an on. I just brought some examples of this decade. I would love to see Bats brake the mold with a brilliant film. But I guess it´s just too much to wish for...

Nocturne
12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately the history of the Oscars is littered with the mistakes of films that weren't given "Best Film" that stood the test of time much better than that years winner.

Star Wars being a prime example. The dialogue may not have been the greatest in the world, but it's weathered the test of time, made a ^^^^load of cash and become a prominent staple in not just American culture but global culture.

Even if it doesn't get best Oscar TDK will stand head and shoulders as a high mark for superhero movies and summer blockbusters in general.

a-dev
12-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Sorry, but a corny b-movie in Ridley Scott filmography. It's the Academy redeeming for ignoring his masterpiece: Blade Runner. We could go on an on. I just brought some examples of this decade. I would love to see Bats brake the mold with a brilliant film. But I guess it´s just too much to wish for...

But didn't the best cut of Bladerunner only recently get released? Surely the oscars could only go on the original theatrical cut which, as I understand it, was ruined by studio meddling? I've never seen Bladerunner in full - like the look of it but could never seem to enjoy the film.

RJMacReady16
12-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry, but [Gladiator is] a corny b-movie in Ridley Scott filmography. It's the Academy redeeming for ignoring his masterpiece: Blade Runner.

Wow. :horror

CristiMAN
12-13-2008, 05:53 PM
But didn't the best cut of Bladerunner only recently get released? Surely the oscars could only go on the original theatrical cut which, as I understand it, was ruined by studio meddling? I've never seen Bladerunner in full - like the look of it but could never seem to enjoy the film.

True. There were problems. But even like that it became an instant classic. And so important and relevant that influences the science fiction genre forever. It' s some of these filme everybody has to see before dying. It's a classic. Buy it, rent it or google it. but see it.

Some clarification on the avaiable cuts of the film are here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31757/blade-runner-four-disc-collectors-edition/

CristiMAN
12-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow. :horror

And Alien. Another alltime classic. These are just opinions.

Raelthorne
12-13-2008, 07:07 PM
In all honesty the Dark Knight should be nominated for

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Screenplay
Best Score
Supporting Actor - Ledger

KBA
12-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Screenplay
Best Score

I agree with everyone of those, and would like to see it win in everything but Best Picture.

a-dev
12-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I would like to see it win in everything but Best Picture.

..What kind of freak are you? :D

noisetrigger
12-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Actually Blade Runner did not get any serious recognition until a decade later. When it was first released, it was too way ahead of its time and people just can't accept it. Only when they released it during the 10th anniversary of the movie did it finally got noticed cause by then, audiences have finally caught up with the movie.

Nocturne
12-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Was one of those films that gained notice when it came out on video and on TV and became a cult hit.

Don't think it's original advertising helped, the studio billed it as more of an action adventure movie than the slower more introspective film it is.

CristiMAN
12-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Screenplay
Best Score

And special efects... Two-face sfx is mind blowing if I can say so... IronMan was really great but to me TDK is hands down...

KBA
12-14-2008, 02:14 PM
..What kind of freak are you? :D

:lol

I loved the movie, but it had a few significant problems with it. First is the length. Second is pacing, some scenes should not bumper each other the way they did. Prime example is when Batman dives off the roof to save Rachel, and they land on the car and cuts away from that entire scene. What happened to Joker and his thugs in Bruce's pad? How did they get out of there?

I think it deserves to be nominated without question, but I don't think its the best of the year.

CelticPredator
12-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Its obvious he left. Does that really need to be shown?

KBA
12-14-2008, 10:35 PM
It needed to be tied up a bit better, yeah. Or atleast cut to a different scene than the one they decided to in the editing room..

darthviper107
12-14-2008, 11:01 PM
:lol

I loved the movie, but it had a few significant problems with it. First is the length. Second is pacing, some scenes should not bumper each other the way they did. Prime example is when Batman dives off the roof to save Rachel, and they land on the car and cuts away from that entire scene. What happened to Joker and his thugs in Bruce's pad? How did they get out of there?

I think it deserves to be nominated without question, but I don't think its the best of the year.

Speaking of that--there was a weird cut when Gordon was asked about his nickname by Dent and he says "I wouldn't know about that" it just kind of started fading off and then quickly cut to a shot of the city. Or when Batman was going to his Batpod to go get Rachel and they ask him who he's going to get and you can barely tell he says Rachel.

Still think it's a contender for Best Picture though. Haven't seen Benjamin Button yet, but I saw Frost/Nixon and it's better than that.

noisetrigger
12-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Its obvious he left. Does that really need to be shown?
I agreed. I was talking with my film lecturer about this scene and my argument was the same, after the scene with Rachel below, it doesn't make sense to actually cut to a scene to show the Joker running away just for the sake of doing so. That's unnecessary exposition.

Nolan gives the audience a lot of credit, you guys do not need a redundant scene to tell you the obvious.

Also I was watching the DVD again last night you can actually see Joker running out of the frame when Batman was diving out the window. He immediately left the scene of crime after pushing Rachel out the window.

I have been a fan of Nolan's since Memento and he is a director that will not leave anything unexplained. There will always been an explanation for everything in his movies. We just got to look for it.

An example being Gordan saying Dent killed five people. And for months it bugged me cause I only counted three (Wurtz, Maroni, his driver). Only recently I discovered during the scene when Maroni was entering his limo, at the far left of the frame you see one of his goon being grabbed (and presumably killed by Dent) while Maroni and another guy was entering from the right and for a long time I though that was the driver and then I rememeber, in the states, the driving position is on the left so make's in three person not including Dent in the car instead two.

Another cool scene is when they brought the "dead" Joker to Gambal. While Gambal back was facing Joker they were two of his henchmen next to Joker and it has also always bugged me how come they didn't do anything when Joker suddenly "wakes" up. Turns out, Joker stabbed they both as he was getting up.

Nolan's the man I tell you. He is never a sloppy director. Every single one of his scenes are meticulously planned and executed.

scubasteve
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Nolan's the man I tell you. He is never a sloppy director. Every single one of his scenes are meticulously planned and executed.

No doubt. Have you seen Memento?

noisetrigger
12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
No doubt. Have you seen Memento?

Of course, that's how I got to know Nolan. It's a movie that I still watches from time to time and still discovering new things. I owned every single one of his movies. If you like Memento, you should check out The Following. Fantastic. I will rank it right up there with Memento.

RJMacReady16
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Speaking of that--there was a weird cut when Gordon was asked about his nickname by Dent and he says "I wouldn't know about that" it just kind of started fading off and then quickly cut to a shot of the city.

Another odd cut is when Harvey's in the back of the SWAT van and they close the door to cut on the coin in Rachel's hand. But I'm just splitting hairs.

Or when Batman was going to his Batpod to go get Rachel and they ask him who he's going to get and you can barely tell he says Rachel.

Has anyone addressed this? Bats says he's going to get Rachel, so Gordon shouts something about him and his men going after Dent, and then they all show up at exact opposite locations. :confused:

noisetrigger
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Has anyone addressed this? Bats says he's going to get Rachel, so Gordon shouts something about him and his men going after Dent, and then they all show up at exact opposite locations. :confused:
Simple explanation. Joker was lying about the locations.

IrishJedi
12-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Yeah, that's pretty clear. The Joker was in control of everything all along. He knew that Batman would be able to reach one of them in time and that he would go after Rachel, so he gave him the opposite addresses. There never really was a "choice". The Joker wanted/needed Rachel to die as party of his plans for turning Dent.

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah, that's pretty clear. The Joker was in control of everything all along. He knew that Batman would be able to reach one of them in time and that he would go after Rachel, so he gave him the opposite addresses. There never really was a "choice". The Joker wanted/needed Rachel to die as party of his plans for turning Dent.

Exactly. He knew Dent loved her, and if he was to show Gotham that the White Knight could be corrupted, dent needed to live. With Batman already establishing a willingness to pur Rachel above all else, he Joker knew what he'd do and screwed with him.

Nocturne
12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
The thing is in an odd way, the Joker gave such a massive hint that he'd do it because before that he said he thought for a moment he was Dent "The way he threw himself after her"

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
It wouldn't matter, he had Batman fired up. Someone tells you the person you care most about in the world is going to get blown up, you're running on pure adrenaline and instince, I mean he beat the ^^^^ out of the Joker wanting information and the second he got it he flew out like an unstoppable force. Given time to be rational, he'd have questioned it all.

Nocturne
12-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Just showed how the Joker was able to get under his skin and push those buttons. He was a master manipulator.

Not just Batman, but the Arkham escapee's and his original crew to do the bank job with. He told all of them exactly what they wanted or needed to hear and used it to his own gain.

KBA
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
It wouldn't matter, he had Batman fired up. Someone tells you the person you care most about in the world is going to get blown up, you're running on pure adrenaline and instince, I mean he beat the ^^^^ out of the Joker wanting information and the second he got it he flew out like an unstoppable force. Given time to be rational, he'd have questioned it all.

That brings up another thing I questioned; wouldn't Bruce have been more upset over rachel's death? Outside of 1 scene, we don't see Bruce coming off as torn apart. I'd blame the script for that, not particularly Bale. It comes back in the final scene where he tells Dent he wasn't the only one who lost something, but that's too little, too late IMO

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 03:58 PM
You would think he'd be more torn up, but I think the movie establishes enough that Bruce is hellbent on a higher purpose, plus most of his emotions end up internalized, which is how his parents death created Batman.

One scene that I think establishes his "get the Joker" mindset is with Fox regarding the sonar gear. "I have to stop this man." "At what cost?" Lucius gives him a smack like hey, there has to be a line you don't cross to get the bad guys, but Bruce was hellbent on stopping him.

The fact to is, in a movie like this, you have to tone down the emotional impact of certain events simply to keep things moving. In reality, Bruce would have likely taken weeks to recover from that, but the movie circumstances didn't allow that.

I always felt Rachel's death was meant to have greater meaning anyway. Yes his best friend is dead, but it's the loss of Dent and Rachel and it's affect that matters, which is Bruce's chances for a normal life are slipping further away on him, can't have the woman he loves, the man who could take over for him is fading, and that's why the end is powerful for me, because he ends up saying ^^^^ it, I have nothing for myself, but I'm going to devote my life to a greater good, even if I'm hated, even if I have nothing for me, I'll do this because it's the right thing to do.

KBA
12-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree with some of your points, if 'emotional-bruce' was overdone, it could have easily over-shadowed the meaning of your last point there. Which is super important. Something I hadn't put too much thought into.:duh Still, they did such a great job showing how Dent's fall was important to Batman staying Batman. I just wish they did the same justice for Rachel.

But I think the 'this is a movie' argument can only be made so many times, especially for a film that has the pacing issues this one does. 'Time' didn't factor in. Characters teleport from scene to scene to scene. It was very indicative the film was trying to do SO much, and sometimes the audience really felt that weight.

It's a fantastic film, but too long cause it has to tell so much. That's my main problem with it. A long ride, but a hell of ride. Worthy of a nomination, but not an oscar best picture win

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Hard for me to judge the pace, for me, I walked away wanting more. I love these movies and I never felt like it'd gone on too long. I read a lot of reviews that said the last half hour could be cut out before I saw it and it had me nervous but I walked away on clowd nine. I think that's the risky point you reach with movies like this and LOTR, if you're showing it to the folks that really dive into the story, the length is insignificant, they want everything they can get, but once you start to get into lesser degrees of excitement, it feels longer and longer til the ones who could care less thing it's 2 hours too long.

Sachiel
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
The part I really didn't like about the movie was the boat scene (the sonar bit was a bit goofy, too). You can't say that atleast one person on either boat wouldn't go for the detonator. And why the heck did they even bring them into the center of the passengers, especially when the other boat is full of convicts. It didn't seem realistic. I got taken out of the movie at that part, but it picks up again afterward.

They should have kept the detonators in the bridge and there should have been a fight for the remote. Would have been much more intense.

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Well, even if the detonators weren't in the public room, the PA message was there, they'd go looking for it or whatever. The message was good, delivery not as strong, people would rather do what's right and live with the consequences than do what's wrong and live with those consequences.

Sachiel
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
That's why they could barricade the bridge against whatever onslaught. Not everyone would have fought, but there would have been a fight. People would get very antsy. Someone would have snapped. Deebo saying the other prisoners would kill the guards and take it anyway, doesn't come off as strong with them mopping around. It would have been VERY easy.

These days you have riots over soccer games or people breaking down doors and bum-rushing people for a sale at Wal-Mart. This is very trivial, non-life threatening matters turned into very life threatening matters.

But I'm not saying that one of the boats should have been blown up, just the scene could have been a lot better.

IrishJedi
12-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I always felt the whole boat sequence was a bit awkward and forced. But, oh well... it's just a movie. And it works.

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I always felt the whole boat sequence was a bit awkward and forced. But, oh well... it's just a movie. And it works.

Plus splicing it between great clips of Batman and Joker makes you forget it anyway. I love the whole end battle.

"You can't rely on anyone these days you gotta do everything yourself, don't we! It's a funny world we live, speaking of which, you know how I got these scars?"

Nolan really knows how to do a good drimatic final showdown between the main villain and the hero. The dialogue and music in the final moments of the Ra's fight and Joker fight are real highlights, you're just on the edge of your seating wanting to know what's going to happen and you're satisfied with the nobility of Batman's actions. The shot of him flying out of the train is one of my favorites out of both movies.

a-dev
12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I agreed. I was talking with my film lecturer about this scene and my argument was the same, after the scene with Rachel below, it doesn't make sense to actually cut to a scene to show the Joker running away just for the sake of doing so. That's unnecessary exposition.

Nolan gives the audience a lot of credit, you guys do not need a redundant scene to tell you the obvious.

Thats where George Lucas really and truly hasn't got a clue. Remember the new bit in Empire Strikes Back special edition where Vader is shown leaving Bespin in his shuttle. Who thought that was necessary?

RJMacReady16
12-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Pretty obvious now that you mention it :monkey1

The fact to is, in a movie like this, you have to tone down the emotional impact of certain events simply to keep things moving. In reality, Bruce would have likely taken weeks to recover from that, but the movie circumstances didn't allow that.

I agree, and that's why Nolan's not a Raimi. I genuinely like Sam Raimi, but had this happened in Spiderman we would've had twenty-three minutes of Peter walking the streets alone, talking to Aunt May, and crying over the tombstone.

MaulFan
12-15-2008, 06:16 PM
The key to shortening the mourning moments is to make a strong enough presence with the moment you show, and I thought Bruce just ripping off the Batsuit and running to sit down and deal with his thoughts and the almost catatonic stupor he's in when Alfred first comes to him worked well, also mirrors his parents death, intentionally I'm sure as they again had alfred mentioning food and walking away saying very well and Bruce calling him back. The scene told us enough, that Bruce was hurt, and that he felt responsible for everything going on in Gotham and a responsibility to fix it.

Joker X
12-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Heath and The Dark Knight have got my vote.

CelticPredator
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
As for the editing, I didnt like how poorly edited the chase scene was.

Batman drives away on the Batpod, cut to Batman shooting a glass window, cut to batman driving through a tunnel thing, cut to Batman shooting another glass window.....skip a bit, cut to Batman driving in the streets, cut to Batman in the ally....ect.

Awful. Scenes have to flow. Not skip. Nolan couldnt intersplice the Joker driving before Bats went into the ally? Eh...

UTtoyfan
12-19-2008, 05:57 AM
Heath Ledger is earning almost every major film critics award as Best Supporting Actor of the year. Amazing. Oscar gold is almost guaranteed posthumously for him.

http://www.altfg.com/blog/awards/southeastern-film-critics-awards-2008/

wofford29
12-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Heath got a SAG nomination. That would be his biggest win to date if he could pull it off.

edit: Just running through the awards he's won everyone single award except the NY film critics which oddly enough awarded every award to Milk.

CelticPredator
12-20-2008, 02:03 PM
NEW YORK HATES THE DARK KNIGHT! lol!

Nocturne
12-20-2008, 02:23 PM
They're only jealous, they got to be Metropolis they have to let someone else be Gotham City :lol

UTtoyfan
12-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Amidst all the Slumdog Millionaire, Wall-E, and Milk Best Picture accolades from the various major film critic associations, The Dark Knight has actually been named Best Picture by three film critic associations thus far.

Austin Film Critics: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/dec/17/dark-knight-austin-critics

Utah Film Critics: http://www.awardsdaily.com/?p=5069

African American Film Critics:
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/entertainment/env-et-african-american-critics-2008dec19,0,5336250.story

In my opinion, this should mark the Dark Knight as a serious contender as one of the 5 movies that will be nominated for the Oscar Best Picture next month. To just get the nomination would be awesome.

KBA
12-20-2008, 05:13 PM
That would be amazing. But.. If the Golden Globes didn't even nominate it, I'm not sure the Academy will

Batfreak
12-21-2008, 10:00 AM
yeah im one of those ppl that, while i didnt very much enjoy and like TDK, i dont think its "best picture" material. its not exactly the "blockbuster" that many ppl hyped it up to be, but it had a great story and i love it. i just dont think its oscar great.

scubasteve
12-21-2008, 10:20 AM
It may not be worth of a nomination, but it's most certainly a blockbuster :)...

Main Entry: blockˇbustˇer
Pronunciation: \ˈbläk-ˌbəs-tər\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Date: 1942

: one that is notably expensive, effective, successful, large, or extravagant <a blockbuster movie>

wofford29
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I think TDK is absolutely worthy of a best picture nod from the films I've seen so far. Not to mention it's reviewed higher by critics than almost every other potential nominee that is out there.

Here's the T-Meter for the serious contenders....

The Wrestler - 97%
Wall-E - 96%
The Dark Knight - 94%
Happy Go Lucky - 94%
Milk - 93%
Slumdog Millionaire - 93%
Frost/Nixon - 90%
Rachel Getting Married - 87%
Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 83%
Doubt - 74%

As always with Hollywood, expect a political agenda, and with prop 8 the topic, expect Milk to be the frontrunner here. Wall-E will be pushed over into the animated category, although it should be in best picture. There will always be a small indie film represented and The Wrestler will fill that one. Slumdog is taking the world by storm and they won't be able to avoid that one and rightfully so. That leaves two slots left, now with ratings hurting for the Oscars they'll want Brangelina to attend for the ratings boost it supposedly would bring, so that will all but gaurantee either actings nods for one, both, or The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Which leaves TDK vs. the rest and I honestly don't see how any of those other films deserve the slot more than TDK. My final list...

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

tomstoyz
12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I seriously think Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar for The Jpker in The Dark Knight. I mean, his performance was chilling & extremely well done. ( Keeping fingers crossed ).

Sachiel
12-23-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.batman-on-film.com/TDK_emmathomas-talks-heathledger_12-23-08.html

wofford29
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, chances are looking good "The Dark Knight" will be nominated for best picture at the Oscars as well. The PGA (producers guild of america) just nominated it as one of their 5 nominees.

JohnFromCincinnati
01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
My final list...

Milk
Slumdog Millionaire
The Dark Knight
The Wrestler
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon is a bad movie directed by academy awards winner Ron Howard, one of the worst living director. So it's obvious he is going to be nominated as best picture.

Ven
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
, because he ends up saying ^^^^ it, I have nothing for myself, but I'm going to devote my life to a greater good, even if I'm hated, even if I have nothing for me, I'll do this because it's the right thing to do.

sorry for jumping on this late, but i too really liked the end for this reason too.. it reminds me of the BATMAN MASK OF THE PHANTASM.. Bruce was torn now that he had someone waiting for him at the end of the night, so he dicided differently, until that person left and he had nothing to lose.

UTtoyfan
01-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Well, chances are looking good "The Dark Knight" will be nominated for best picture at the Oscars as well. The PGA (producers guild of america) just nominated it as one of their 5 nominees.

I just saw that list this morning. Too cool!:banana
I think the PGA list will be the list announced when the Oscar nominations come up.

scubasteve
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM

That would be wicked, even though it will not win.

70thSith
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I hope I'm not violating the rules and regulations of this forum by saying there's a group called "Dark Campaign - Support the Dark Knight for 2008 Oscars." I know there must be several more similar DK movements out there. Everybody here is invited to join, just check out this link:

http://DarkCampaign.com

Morbach
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
That would be wicked, even though it will not win.

yeah whenever you want a movie to win it doesn't. Juno can take home an award but Dk being the biggest movie of the decade won't. complete bs.

Riko
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
As for the editing, I didnt like how poorly edited the chase scene was.

Batman drives away on the Batpod, cut to Batman shooting a glass window, cut to batman driving through a tunnel thing, cut to Batman shooting another glass window.....skip a bit, cut to Batman driving in the streets, cut to Batman in the ally....ect.

Awful. Scenes have to flow. Not skip. Nolan couldnt intersplice the Joker driving before Bats went into the ally? Eh...

this is true, strange that nobody of the entire team didn't see that the bat-pod scene you discribed was not noticed before the release...

he shoots the entrance of a glass window, than you see him riding freely, than you see him go thru a window...I would have thought it was the same window if they had edited that afther the scene where you see him shoot the glass...It was a very strange editing

CelticPredator
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I edited so it seemed like it was the same window. If it wasnt...well, that wasnt clear. When cut together, it worked.

I also put the snippet of The Joker when he's in the car, right before Batman drives down the ally. Works better.

tomandshell
01-06-2009, 03:56 PM
What I caught the other day was the difference between the window that blows out in the opening shot and the appearance from the inside before the goons slide across to the bank roof.

POWER1010
01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I hope I'm not violating the rules and regulations of this forum by saying there's a group called "Dark Campaign - Support the Dark Knight for 2008 Oscars." I know there must be several more similar DK movements out there. Everybody here is invited to join, just check out this link:

http://DarkCampaign.com

Great site man, thanks for sharring :D

70thSith
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
You're welcome! There's another group in Facebook called "The Campaign for The Dark Knight to be #1." Their goal is to unseat "Titanic" from the #1 US box office slot. Everyone's also invited to join or fans could just watch again the film's rerelease (this month?) in the US. I hope Warner will make the rerelease global because I'm not an American. O well, I think TDK is still showing in our local IMAX theater.

As for the Facebook TDK group, I hope this link works:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&id=1554814055#/group.php?gid=20289029554&ref=mf

Buttmunch
01-06-2009, 08:22 PM
You're welcome! There's another group in Facebook called "The Campaign for The Dark Knight to be #1." Their goal is to unseat "Titanic" from the #1 US box office slot. Everyone's also invited to join or fans could just watch again the film's rerelease (this month?) in the US. I hope Warner will make the rerelease global because I'm not an American. O well, I think TDK is still showing in our local IMAX theater.

As for the Facebook TDK group, I hope this link works:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=feed&id=1554814055#/group.php?gid=20289029554&ref=mf

That is my dream as well. I'm all for resinking the Titanic :rock

70thSith
01-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Yes! "Resinking" is the right word! :banana

UTtoyfan
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Writers Guild nominations just announced. Oh look, it's The Dark Knight!:banana:chew
http://www.awardsdaily.com/

Wolf873
01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
It's completely bias of them not to include superhero movies for such awards, but at least TDK is competing. And certainly deserves some recognition, it was the best movie of 2008 without a doubt.

alpha826
01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
*awaits the WB dvd double dip*

Seditionary
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
it really was the best movie.

wofford29
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Latest nominations....

BAFTA:

Best Picture
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Director
Best Make up and Hair
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Costume Design
Best Music
Best Lead Actor
Best Supporting Actor

ASC (cinematography award):

Best Feature

CristiMAN
01-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Latest nominations....

BAFTA:

Best Picture
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Director
Best Make up and Hair
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Costume Design
Best Music
Best Lead Actor
Best Supporting Actor

ASC (cinematography award):

Best Feature

Those are not final. From the BAFTA site:
The first nominations have been announced and the full list will be revealed on Thursday 15 January.

70thSith
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Writers Guild nominations just announced. Oh look, it's The Dark Knight!:banana:chew
http://www.awardsdaily.com/

Oh wow, this WGA site is really reassuring, TDK-wise. Does this usually influence the Academy's final decisions? I'm really tired of these pretentious films that were designed to snag Oscars. At least TDK had honesty because it wasn't designed to snag Oscars, all its filmmakers wanted to do was create a great summer movie.

Can't wait for the BAFTA...

wofford29
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Those are not final. From the BAFTA site:
The first nominations have been announced and the full list will be revealed on Thursday 15 January.

It's still a nomination, it's just on the long list. Whether it makes the short list or not as you said is yet to be seen.

wofford29
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Congrats to Christopher Nolan. He was just nominated by the DGA (directors guild of america).