How popular do you think the SS Starwars lineup will be?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

miteethor

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum, and I am pleased to say it's really the first collectors forum who knows or appreciates anything about the new Sideshow statues. I've tried a few times on other forums to open a discussion about them, but most people seem to either ignore the threads completely or don't know/care about the new Sideshow stuff. Instead they would rather go on endlessly about their horde of plastic figures they are using to wallpaper their rooms.

I'm not really anti-Hasbro, but I was rather disheartened recently when I took a trip to Walmart for the Midnight release of the new Episode III toys. I was just there to pick up the General Grievous unleashed and a few other odds and ends, but while we all waited in line I couldn't find anyone else who knew about Sideshow, Attakus, Gentle Giant - in fact only one other guy had heard of Master Replicas!! These were all very obsessive collectors (they had to be if they were waiting around at midnight to buy toys!!) and yet they knew nothing of the finer offerings to be had.

I don't really buy the whole "they are too expensive" thing either. I saw a number of people dropping $300 or more on a shopping cart full of every toy imaginable. Maybe it's just me, but the toys are cheapo, ugly, they don't look anything like the characters they potray, and they certainly don't display well. I'd much rather have a SS Vader than "1 of each" of the new Hasbro line. Am I alone in this thinking?

With all of that said, how popular do you think the Sideshow statues are going to be? I don't think I've ever talked to another collector who had heard of them before. I watch what goes on on Ebay and the Luke and Han Solo statues that are up for pre-order rarely if ever sell. I know everything sells out quickly on the SS web site, but I would think if something is sold out that quickly people would be trying to pick up their pre-orders now while the prices are still reasonable.

Do you think the first series will be in high demand, or is it going to linger unsold for months or years?

MiteeThoR

Buckle up....By May 19th we will be jumping into hyperspace. I believe stuff will SELL, SELL and then SELL!! At prices we won't believe.

Joanna

Welcome the boards miteethor!!!! This is definitely a great place to be

I think the SS SW line is already very popular in its own market. Will likely see it become even more popular after the release of ROTS. Same thing happened with MR when they first got into collectibles. They put their first SW pieces up for preorder online with quite a few people taking interest, but it wasn't until after the release of AOTC that things started to really sell out good and build a collectors base.

SS is already a step ahead of the game because they brought a large collectors base with them to their SW line from many of their LOTR fans and even their varied 12" collectors. As the broader group of SW fans really starts to learn more about SS interest is going to skyrocket because this line rocks!!!!!!

Of course of your Hasbro collectors like those you ran into at Walmart don't really have any interest in the higher end market. Don't get me wrong I collect the action figures and vehicles etc,etc and have for years. But Action Figure collectors far outnumber statue and high end collectors.

I really hadn't followed these things on eBay much, but maybe the lack of presales is because of smarter buyers. They know the actual release dates can vary greatly and don't want to risk getting scammed by preordering too early. Anyway just a thought.

Again, welcome to the board and pardon my speech above :speech

re

Welcome to the board, Miteethor!!! Glad you could join us...and post a nice debut thread. :toast

The reason why your fellow queue formers knew jack about the finer stuff on the market was because, put simply, :speech you were in the company of children...or rather adults with a child-like mentality to collecting. :D Why on earth do these 'collectors' want to own something that's evidently targeted at children FIRST, looks nothing like the character it's supposed to represent...and designed for the purpose of PLAYING with? :dunno I have always wondered why they cry out for more points of articulation; now I know the answer: they want to fondle and manipulate them with their buddies on the weekend. Truly bizarre. :\ :rolleyes

Anyway, less of me ranting about Hasblowers, enjoy your stay...and good luck with your collecting the REAL Star Wars collectibles. :wave

Re: re

I didn't order Luke when he was first announced, and then he sold out. I was surprised that last week he went back up on the second chance page and I got my preorder in after all. It did surprise me that after selling out and then going through the wait list, they still had enough to put him back up to the public on the site, with only 2500 total in the edition. Will the value for these ever go up as much as some of the LotR products?
:rollin

IMO I think people will regarding these products as the definitive collection of star wars characters. I come to this conclusion because of the attention to such detail like Han's blaster is metal, the detail on his belt, the cloth used foe luke's top & I won't even start on Grievous :thud

Out of all the Han Solo statues, busts etc. released by other companies, sideshow has sculpted the best likeness.

All of my above comments are based on releases so far thought..............but I have faith (as long as gore group are now on the SS payroll!! ) :rollin

:wilkommen mitethor!

The Premium 1/4 scale Figure is kind of an odd duck in the collecting world and hasn't really found it's niche. The Universal monsters have sold out eventually, but they are small runs and take a long time usually.

I think Star Wars will really bring the 1/4s to the attention of the greater collecting world and eventually the SSC SW figures will be in great demand. Many will regret not getting on board earlier.

But it is a bit foolish to purchase these things from ebay dealers before they ship and perhaps buyers are realizing that. Once they do come out I think we'll see the prices going up.

I agree with Dave on this, but I think one thing that holds them back from catching like wild fire is the price of each. They arent cheap and thats the biggest complaint I hear, is "yea I would like to get it but that price tag is a little to high".
Star Wars 1/4's might change that or might not...

The master replica light and Attakus statues are also pretty steep price-wise.

I think the market is out there, but the collectors aren't completely accepting of the format quite yet.

Welcome and like Joanna above said I think come around May 19th your gonna see these go crazy and maybe even some insane prices for Vader and the Exclusive Han Solo Statue.

The master replica light and Attakus statues are also pretty steep price-wise. I think the market is out there, but the collectors aren't completely accepting of the format quite yet.

True they do go for high price, is Attakus stuff painted in France or do they do the China thing also?

But none the less the 1/4 are a tad expensive and lets be honest that does hold a lot of the statue collectors from getting them.

Smart thing for Sideshow to do would be something that is farily well known make a big edition size for it and sell for the price of a statue. Then your giving people a chance who normaly wouldnt pick one up to get one at a fair price. And WHAM their hooked on the idea of mixed media!
They could do that for:
Universal Monsters
Marvel
Star Wars
One for each, that would be a pretty smart move on their part and really open the way for the mixed media 1/4s.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!

I did see a Han Solo exclusive edition go for $900 a couple of days ago, but he's sort of an exception with an edition size of only 250!!

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...eName=WDVW

I'm surprised they are listing the Vader already - it's quite a big deal to Ebay on not selling something you can't deliver in 30 days - what is this like 9 months away on Vader???

MiteeThoR

Smart thing for Sideshow to do would be something that is farily well known make a big edition size for it and sell for the price of a statue.

My point was that there isn't enough of a market for the mixed media figures right now to justify a big edition size. So they have to price them accordingly. Hopefully it will have a similar curve to the LotR pieces and the edition sizes can grow naturally.

Ahhh my point was you could speed the whole process up if you did one at a normal statue cost. This way people would more than likely purchase it and see how great this format really is. You know get them addicted :lol

I am more excited about this line than any other line there is. Every release has been great! Vader looked bad at first but they corrected most of the issues I was concerned about.

I just wish they would hurry and ship Luke. Bring on more releases!

Once you see a 1/4 in person, you will love them. I own Hellboy, Spock, and Connery and all are incredible pieces.

the general grievous is gonna be my first jump into these as a collection. from the looks of the pictures i wont be let down. ive been collecting, building the prop lightsabers for over 3 years now and since the movies are done im looking for a new source of collecting. im hoping they do a darth maul/qui-gonn/obi-wan to add into the series.

Back