Accurizing your SSC 1/6 Raiders Indy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know there's been some discussion about inaccuracies in the Indy figures accoutrement that make him less like a Raiders Indy and more a generic Indy. Whether this was a dictate from LFL or just SSC messing with us - what are the differences between the figure and what a fully accurate Raiders Indy would be?

There has been some bad blood about this subject, but the purpose of this thread is to get as anal as possible - I know there are experts out there - so based on photos or in hand experience - what would you change and why?

I'm also interested in weathering the jacket - here would be a good place to discuss the best way to that as well.

The storm flap buttons shouldn't be on a Raiders jacket. And the zipper should be nickel silver.

Anyone try to yank those buttons off yet?

Nickle zipper is an easy fix -- drybrush with silver or use a silver pen.

The straps on the lower sides of the jacket should be leather, not webbing.

Holster should be warm brown - again drybrush.

Shirt should be a warm khaki with a touch of gray -- quick dunk in Pearl Gray RIT dye.

There should be a silver "strap holder" (don't know the right term) near the buckle of the holster.

Collar of the jacket is rather large -- I'm not messing with it, but I suppose you could undo the stitching, fold it in more and restitch.

I'm sure there's tons of other little things, but that's what I noticed first off.

Sovereign Shawn may recast his amazing jacket in rubber and offer it to us Freaks. He knows every detail of the jacket and probably made the best custom jacket ever. He recently told me he may do one and send it to me to see how it looks on my fig. If it works out he may offer these to Freaks for like $20 each.

Sovereign Shawn may recast his amazing jacket in rubber and offer it to us Freaks. He knows every detail of the jacket and probably made the best custom jacket ever. He recently told me he may do one and send it to me to see how it looks on my fig. If it works out he may offer these to Freaks for like $20 each.

Rubber? Really? That doesn't sound like it would look or move right.

I'll have a pictorial tutorial for all kinds of Indy weathering soon. I'm still convinced I can suitably weather the SSC jacket.

He's way ahead of the curve with latex and other materials casting and said it'll look almost exactly the same, and act pretty much the same as well.

Many Toy companies are heading in this direction as well with clothing... maybe some of you guys should check out his Gladiator outfit. He has the leather chest piece cast in rubber and no one knew it wasn't leather...

Anyway, I'm reserving judgment until AFTER I see it. :whip

Painting the hat is a must. It's too much of a mud brown. The hats in Raiders (and all other films for that matter) were "sable." A richer, redder brown.

My plans are to possibly dye the shirts tad greyer, depending what it looks like in hand, see about removing the storm flap buttons, Repaint the fedora the proper color, add a little red to the face for a sunburned/tanned effect, add the missing stubble and a quick dusting of fullers earth to weather it a bit. I also might take a look at the jacket tighteners on the back, if they are web material instead of leather, they might be easily fixed by soaking them with some paint glaze. It'll darken it and give it a leather like shine when it dries.

It's Ironic this subject comes up now. Agent 5 was the expert but was bashed for his "OCD" and left. Oh well...

:lecture

I'm still pissed some of our more aggressive Sideshow Apologists ran him off and that the mods allowed the pile-on to happen in the first place. He probably knows and cares more about INDY than anyone here (myself and murderofcrows included) and was admonished for daring to criticize Sideshow's 12" Indy figure (which I am content with but can acknowledge has its weak points). He wasn't even that over-the-top in his criticisms (unlike those who attacked HIM).

I'm still pissed some of our more aggressive Sideshow Apologists ran him off and that the mods allowed the pile-on to happen in the first place. He probably knows and cares more about INDY than anyone here (myself and murderofcrows included) and was admonished for daring to criticize Sideshow's 12" Indy figure (which I am content with but can acknowledge has its weak points). He wasn't even that over-the-top in his criticisms (unlike those who attacked HIM).

I agree Irish, the pile on was uncalled for. And I know his knowledge of the differences in the Indy Gear is extensive. I guess my attitude about the whole thing was he pointed out the innaccuracies, which is fine. I noticed many of the innaccuracies in the Indy outfit myself. But this is the figure we've gotten, this late in the game nothings is gonna change. So I felt it's pointless to beat a dead horse, I'll just fix what I can to make my figure the way I want. I understand the money for this figure so some attention to detail should've been a tad tighter, but it is what it is. I'm just happy after 27 years someone made one that I can afford and my custom can go in storage, the innaccuracies to anyone who has worked on a Indy custom in any of the last nearly three decades, are mostly minor things to fix. No need for people to argue and whine, which more and more people on this board seem more than happy to do. The constant whining and argueing on these boards, especially before anyone even has a product in hand, makes me not only not want to be a part of it, but feel ashamed for my fellow collectors. I can't help but wonder what the folks at Sideshow think, most likely "Well, there gonna say it's crap anyway, so why put any effort into it." People should be happy at the amount of crap they can collect these days, and with the economy the way it is, feel good they even have income that allows them to afford this stuff.

Come on. It really was a 1 on 1 disagreement not some mob that went after the guy not even a pile on as Murder below says it was. Agent05 came kind of hard on some if the things he didn't like too so he wasn't some angel in his issues with the figure either. Some of the stuff he was not caring for where such small minor details only he and a few others in the whole world would notice. Thats not an excuse for them to be wrong but I would venture most are like and and would look at this figure as a amazing Indy product.

No need for people to argue and whine, which more and more people on this board seem more than happy to do. The constant whining and argueing on these boards, especially before anyone even has a product in hand, makes me not only not want to be a part of it, but feel ashamed for my fellow collectors. I can't help but wonder what the folks at Sideshow think, most likely "Well, there gonna say it's crap anyway, so why put any effort into it." People should be happy at the amount of crap they can collect these days, and with the economy the way it is, feel good they even have income that allows them to afford this stuff.

I agree it does wear. Honestly thats partly why I just stick to the video games talking about those. We have so many so called "experts" when it comes to items that they pick items to death. Badmoon the other day I think was right in that some people really need to get a life when it comes to these items. Customized items whatever it is will almost always be more accurate because they have the time to do so. If you want to be that picky maybe people should stick to that kind of thing. Hell even HT got some stuff wrong on the Mark 2 I believe (something like a couple of wrong bolts) and I'm just like who the hell would notice. I wouldn't have noticed the stuff wrong on Indy and I've seen Raiders a gazillion times over the years.

All these things I think besides SS growth is a reason they don't interact much around here anymore. Its not that they don't have thick skin which they do but if every time some of these "experts" pick apart your work would you want to interact? I know someone will say they're doing it to make SS better but some of these nit picks are just that nit picks.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Something else to think about since we're jumping on the SS Apologist right now. Have the "experts" thought about that its some of their reactions and the haters reactions that have caused long time members (that have left) or some members (who stick to just certain sections) to do those things? I'm not saying don't say what you don't like about something but there are several here that are always looking for whats wrong. That does wear on people and take some of the fun out.

I still stand by for those that say things because they care that lets SS know that we still care. When we all stop thats when SS will be doomed but sometimes it just beyond that.

I love how you guys have managed to turn what was supposed to be a constructive outlet for the minute-detail-obsessed users like Agent5 into an alleged "apologist" bashing thread. It started off with a few constructive posts before turning into a toilet bowl full of "apologist" bs. Congrats! Somebody wanna flush?

I started this thread because there are some valid comments to be made on this subject. I don't believe anyone was driven away - everyone has a right to their opinion - but we all need to be able to express that opinion in a way that doesn't alienate other members.

So the tightening straps on the jacket should be the same material as the jacket?

Back