Rivendell....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lookin4Precious

Super Freak
Reaction score
Isn't there a Rivendell Gilcee? I've only been able to find the Barad-Dur one on the SS site. I thought there were three?

Lookin4Precious said:
Isn't there a Rivendell Gilcee? I've only been able to find the Barad-Dur one on the SS site. I thought there were three?

Yeah, I have it myself. It's my favorite of the 3. I have Barad-Dur and Rivendell.

I'm actually leaning towards taking both of them to a frame shop and getting them to place the prints in a more professional manner. Sideshow framed them HORRIBLY. My Barad-Dur is slightly wrinkled and peeling back from the bottom of the frame. The light from the film strip shines through onto the print. Rivendell is the same way. I'm going to get both reframed.

elwood49 said:
Yeah, I have it myself. It's my favorite of the 3. I have Barad-Dur and Rivendell.

I'm actually leaning towards taking both of them to a frame shop and getting them to place the prints in a more professional manner. Sideshow framed them HORRIBLY. My Barad-Dur is slightly wrinkled and peeling back from the bottom of the frame. The light from the film strip shines through onto the print. Rivendell is the same way. I'm going to get both reframed.

wow... that's unfortunate. I must say on the site they do look lovely in their frames. But we all know how decieving those SS photos can be (though usually it is for the better).

So there IS a Rivendell and the Barad-dur.. and then there is another one right? An escape from Isengard? I'm thinking I am just going to get (eventually) the Barad-Dur and Rivendell ones, so there is one for my "good guys" and one with my "bad guys". For those who have seen my shelves, i am there is a big section in the middle of them where I think a Gilcee would fit perfectly!

The Barad-Dur one was the item of the three I wanted to get and may at somepoint. I love the look of the pic and having the three autos would be dam cool.

I can highly recommend the Barad-dur print, and mine is also in excellent condition. It is just so dam awesome cool having the giclee right above my sauron. (sorry josh...couldn't resist) ;)

I was also heavily considering the Barad-Dur print, but the shipping would of been a huge cost so I decided not to get it, and got a Simpsons cell from a local shop.

Josh, did my similar post afew days back give you a laugh to? (This isn't attacking you its a fair question)

Rivendell.

I have all three and my frames' quality are very good.
Only issue that I ever had was the batteries were
weak and had to replace both for the film strips.

larbob said:
I have all three and my frames' quality are very good.
Only issue that I ever had was the batteries were
weak and had to replace both for the film strips.

I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm saying. The quality of the frames are very nice, but the person that framed them did a bad job.

When you press the light on the strip, is there any light that shines through onto the print itself? Both of my prints are not "flush" with the mattes. I'll try and take some pics and see if it shows up. Look at all of your giclees around the edges. Most of the ones I have seen have gaps where the print is not flush all the way around.

HighElven said:
Josh, did my similar post afew days back give you a laugh to? (This isn't attacking you its a fair question)

Kind of but not in the same way. That's all I'll say.

elwood49 said:
Most of the ones I have seen have gaps where the print is not flush all the way around.

The only gap I have between the matte/print on my BD is right under PJs sig, near the filmstrip. The rest of the print is tight and flush. This hasn't bothered me, but the bottom of the J and H in John Howes signature are cut off because the matte is too small, which did. Not enough to have the piece reframed though.

Hells of Iron said:
The only gap I have between the matte/print on my BD is right under PJs sig, near the filmstrip. The rest of the print is tight and flush.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about! Thank you for putting into words what I was poorly explaining.

The gap on my Rivendell is exactly as you described. It is right under PJ's sig on both prints, and I guess it has something to do with the light.

My Barad-Dur is worse and the gap is larger. I can live with the Rivendell, but I need to get the matte/print gap on the Barad-Dur fixed. My John Howe sig is also cut off by the matte, which isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
elwood49 said:
My Barad-Dur is worse and the gap is larger. I can live with the Rivendell, but I need to get the matte/print gap on the Barad-Dur fixed. My John Howe sig is also cut off by the matte, which isn't a big deal.

In the centre, the gap in mine is max. 2mm, so not a huge deal. If the print start to ripple, I'd want to get it fixed though. I took the print off the wall today and noticed that the adhesive used to hold the matte to the back of the frame, where the certificate is, is starting to separate. If it comes off completely, I may see if someone can fix the gap and then readhere the matte.

Yea sorry to hear about that on these print since they are
expensive....but mine are fine and I'm very picky....did
you buy them from SS? ..if so I would return for a replacement..
perhaps Jennifer can help?

I've never noticed before but there is a tiny gap right above the filmstrip where the mat meets the black border below the signatures. It's the same on both the Barad-dur and Rivendell prints. A little bit of light filters through but to me it's normal. It's not really noticable especially if it's day time and the filmstrip hasn't been illuminated.

Anyone who thinks that they may have a defect in the quality of the framing and/or matting of their giclee should contact us. We want your collectible to be of the highest quality and will try to replace or repair the item, if the issue is actually an erro of the construction of the item.

Best,
Chicky

With all this talk about gaps and what not, I decided to check my BD print. There indeed shines some light through under PJ auto, but nothing worth mentioning. Maybe I was lucky and got a good one. :joy

I am still saving money to buy the Rivendell print, but first I have the MC Glamdring on order for October. I hope to buy that one in November/December. :banana Then the print collection will be complete. :rock

Back