Why not a Buffy line?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masao

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have asked this a couple of times, but no one ever seems to know the answer.

Why hasn't SS made a Buffy The Vampire Slayer line?

No, not the TV show, the original movie it came from. It is coming up on the 15th anniversary BTW.

Partial Cast:

Kristy Swanson
Donald Sutherland
Paul Reubens
Rutger Hauer
Luke Perry
Hilary Swank
Stephen Root

no way. The movie wasnt too good. I mean it spawned one of the best TV series ever made but the movie wasnt too great. Joss was dissapointed with the film so he made the show, I think they changed his ideas so I think the Buffy show line is the true and only buffy line we need. thats my opinion tho

MisterToyNYC said:
Uh... because it sucked?

Eric
Yeah but it didn't suck nearly as bad as that Van Helsing movie, and we got both 1/6, 1/4 figures, and statues from that one. I would pick up a Kristy Swanson, Donald Sutherland and Rutger Hauer 1/6 figure from the movie, but probably none of the others.

MisterToyNYC said:
Uh... because it sucked?

Hmm. No, that wouldn't do it, after all:

A) The entire cast TV series has been made into figures and the show sucks.

and

B) The movie didn't suck. It was at least interesting and funny.

and

C) The butt-ugly-Timon-looking star of the TV show already has at least 3 (don't ask me why) 12" likenesses...and that didn't stop SS

No accounting for taste I guess - but dissing the show ain't gonna win friends and influence people here. But I would bet anyone who says the show "sucked" hasn't watched more an episode or two. It has a rich history with deep and interesting characters, unlike the movie.

The movie was substandard, poorly acted and poorly directed and, most important of all, bombed at the box office.

Oh I'd buy them all - but, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Rutger Hauer and Paul Reubens would be great figures.

I need to watch my DVD again. Because the only thing I remember is Pee-wee being pissed about loosing his arm and his death scene. :D

Darklord Dave said:
Oh I'd buy them all - but, but I wouldn't be happy about it. Rutger Hauer and Paul Reubens would be great figures.
Sorry had to laugh at that.
Great thing to tell my husband when I buy a figure for a character
I don't like.

Thanks

I've got a pull-string and a bobble-head Pee-wee (easy, now — you know what I mean!) so, I'm covered.

Regarding Van Helsing, licensing deals are made well in advance of a film's release. Ya win some, ya lose some.

bffy_pf.gif

And who would be buying these figures from the movie? Not the many, obsessive fans of the tv series. Most of those fans feel that the movie was butchered and Joss Whedon himself is very disappointed with how the movie was done. Joss has said it repeatedly, there is only one Buffy and it's SMG. No offense to Kristie Swanson but her turn at Buffy was just another movie role whereas SMG made the character her own.

Most die hard Buffy fans either hate the movie or find it mildly amusing and very campy. Sideshow would be wasting it's own money if they tried selling this line because I doubt there would be many buyers out there to justify the time and money put into making figures that most likely would barely sell.

Masao said:

and

and

C) The butt-ugly-Timon-looking star of the TV show already has at least 3 (don't ask me why) 12" likenesses...and that didn't stop SS

SAY THAT AGAIN TO MY FACE... :mad:
the show is amazing. SMG is beautiful. END of story... :eek:

Last edited:
buffy

I gotta say I liked the movie ALTHOUGH it was painfully obvious that the jokes and humor were not only underplayed but the humor was not completely understood by the actors. It took the TV show to show the humor, horror, action, and drama that made up the series and the Wedon fans. While Sarah Michelle owns the character as far as I'm, and most fans are concerned, I do think at least one Kristy Swanson version of Buffy would be very cool, and possibly a Donald Sutherland fig as her first watcher which she (Sarah Michelle Gellar) references in the first episode of the series.

The quickest way to bankcrupt Sideshow would be for them to make figures from that awful movie!

Sorry, that film was dire!

Am i the only one who think it would of been good if SS did it? the movie is what got me into Buffy. I've grown up with Buffy ever since being a kid all because of the movie I think the movie is great but the TV show cannot be compared to the movie because it's SO much better

Masao said:

and

and

Sorry but one question: If you are a Buffy fan then why don't you like the TV show aswell? It's about the same thing just 100 times better than what the movie was.

I agree the movie didn't suck, i love it, but i like the TV show more and i have my reasons. Some being:

Better cast
More likeable characters
Better acting
Better made
Varied demons, not just vampires
Amazing make-up effects (not forgetting special effects and CGI)
Way better story line

And Sarah is not ugly. She is a really girl/woman

Buffy movie

I agree the movie was dire in general, but some parts were funny. However, it did NOT get me interested in watching the series. In fact, I initially stayed AWAY from the series because of the movie. I remember thinking that I honestly could not BELIEVE a series was being made from a movie that was, overall, bad (IMHO, of course). So I wouldn't say the movie had much to do with getting people interested in the series from my point of view, if anyone at all felt as I did about the movie. I always felt the movie was a hindrance to people watching Buffy. Thank goodness the series was (for all intents and purpose save for the general theme and some characters) NOTHING like the movie. I would have hated it for sure. Well, I would have never watched more than one episode and THEN hated it for sure! :rolleyes:

I agree with Migwit. I didn't bother watching the tv show because the movie was so bad. I caught the show only after it was off the air, and now I honestly believe it was an example of the best network tv ever. At least the first five seasons of it, anyway, though the last two were at least better than anything else on. The tv show and the movie were so completely different, they really should be considered two separate licenses. That said, I have zero interest in characters from the movie, except for whatever kitbash potential there would be in a Rutger Hauer headsculpt as long as it didn't have a movie-specific expression.

For what it's worth, I buy all the 12" Buffy figures but wouldn't touch any figures from the Movie. Didn't care for it really.

Back