For those who went to Comic-Con...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlarsen

Super Freak
Reaction score
I know it’s a little early but I am seriously contemplating on going to Comic-Con 2006. (assuming of course Sideshow will be there) I’ve looked online but I would like to know from people here who went this year and those who are in the San Diego area.

Few questions:
1. How much should I expect to pay for a hotel for about 3 nights?
2. How far in advance should I book a hotel room? Couple of months?
3. Do you recommend staying the 4 days?
4. Would you go again?

Thanks. It will give me something to think about.

Great questions! I am also thinking about going. I would like to know the answers to these questions too. I would also like to add these:

Where do you recomend staying?
Should I rent a car or can you walk to where you need to go?

The more the merrier, I had the best time this past year, mainly because there were so many Freaks there.

As for hotel - travel planners does the group booking for the con and it usually goes live in mid-January. I'd book the first day, this is when you'll get the best rates and best choices. Although there were people able to find rooms the week before, it was difficult and expensive.

I'd say $200/night will get you a decent hotel.

DO NOT RENT A CAR - it's a huge liability. You'll pay up to $40/night to park and everything is in walking distance - the con, most hotels and the Gaslight where all the bars are. Even if you are outside comfortable walking distance the shuttle service for the con is excellent.

Would you go again?
I've been the past 5 years - gets better every time.

All four days?
Not completely necessary, but it's more fun that way. But the big Hollywood panels are usually Saturday with some on Friday or Sunday. But Thursday's a good day to be there - more relaxed.

1. How much should I expect to pay for a hotel for about 3 nights? - too much
2. How far in advance should I book a hotel room? Couple of months? - now
3. Do you recommend staying the 4 days? - I would suggest it
4. Would you go again? - I will be there for 06 :banana

You over pay for everything, you get stuck in stupid lines, and your rubbing elbows with everyone, but it is worth it.

1. How much should I expect to pay for a hotel for about 3 nights? - I'd say $125 to $200 a night about right (the longer you wait the more expensive it gets)

2. How far in advance should I book a hotel room? Couple of months? - NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Do you recommend staying the 4 days? - Yeah I would, I missed a lot of the panels and stuff, and you don't feel so rushed!

4. Would you go again? - I hope to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana

Sdcc

The last 2 years, I've stayed at The Manchester Grand Hyatt. It was $200 a night plus tax. It's practically right next to the convention center. The Marriott is where I stayed before that. It's next door to the Hyatt. I paid $269 a night that year because I booked late. The Omni San Diego is also a very nice place and it's right across the street from the center.

As someone said, Travel Planners will open up reservations usually in January. They have the best rates around. Problem is, the rooms sell out FAST! I was online at opening time this year and a lot of hotels sold out within the first 15 minutes. I originally ended up with a room at the Horton, but finally managed to move to the Hyatt due to a cancellation. It pays to keep checking back.

I recommend going for Previews Night and all days, yes. This was the first year I stayed the entire time and it was completely worth it. It was completely exhausting as well! The first two years, I only stayed until Friday night and I really missed a lot.

4. Would you go again?

Already registered!

2-3 days is/would be enough for me by then I've seen all I wanted and the Freaks start heading back.

Reservations-Well, last year my aunt made reservations in Nov/Dec for a room at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. I'd like to stay there or the Omni something like that.

I sure as hell plan on being at the 2006 convention.

1. How much should I expect to pay for a hotel for about 3 nights? - depends on how far away from the convention center you're willing to go. And being further away (with rental car) doesn't necessarily guarantee a cheaper rate. As some have already said, the rental car thing can be a liability. I didn't make up my mind to go until about 2-1/2 weeks out and I thought I'd never find a room. In a panic, I wound up making and cancelling 4 hotel reservations.....(one for nearly $400/nite) until I finally lucked out and got one about a block and a half away (the Marriott located next to the San Diego Padres ballpark -- would love to stay there again). Activities were centered around the convention center and about 4-5 blocks from it so I walked everywhere and it was great! I also took a ride on a bicycle rickshaw from a gathering to my hotel and the ride was wonderful. One note of warning though: hotels there do not have airport shuttles so expect to pay for a taxi to/from airport. I paid about $10 each way.

2. How far in advance should I book a hotel room? Couple of months? - Sooner the better.

3. Do you recommend staying the 4 days? - Not necessarily. I only stayed 2 full days and got to see a lot (Saturday is a MUST). But I would go for 3 next time (that would include the Thursday preview nite).

4. Would you go again? - Can't say for sure this far in advance, but am certainly hoping to.

Do the hotels usually charge a cancellation fee if you find somewhere else cheaper?
I suppose I may wait till mid November/December to start looking into hotel rates/flights there.

I didn't have to pay any cancellation fees. Most hotels usually only charge it if you cancel within a certain timeframe (and most is usually 24 or 48 hours).

Alrighty...I've been attending comic-con for a few years now (next year will be #5). So to answer your questions....

Few questions:

I've paid anywhere from $140 to $160 a night. Usually it comes out much cheaper if you cram a lot of people in the room with you (just FYI).

Wait till the offical Comic-Con site puts up their hotel deals (that usually happens in early January). Book within the first few days to a week of the posting...just to get an in. I would recommend booking a hotel that is within walking distance or has the free shuttle service.

The offical site is www.comic-con.org

If you are thinking of going solo there were some pretty cheap (under $100 a night) single rooms in downtown. Just FYI.

I've always gone everyday (including preview night). The exhibitors hall is HUGE and will take you all 4 days to really have a good walk through of itl Plus everyday includes hours and hours of programming, movies, and more.

4. Would you go again?

Yup...I love comic-con! It's my geek week of the entire year.

mlarsen said:
Any hotels you recommend/don't recommend? Or are they all okay.

I stayed at Holiday Inn on the Bay this year and found it to be quite nice. Plus I got free wireless internet service included in my room stay. It was around $154 a night.

In the past I've stayed at the Sheraton. A very nice hotel as well. The rate was about $160 or so a night.

I would probably have no problem staying at any of the hotels listed on the offical comic-con site myself.

Back