Classic Movies that still hold up today - Pre 1990's (non-Horror/Sci-Fi)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought this might be a cool thread to provide some input on movies that everyone should see at least once because the meaning withstands the test of time.

of course there are such greats as Planet of the Apes and 2001, but maybe this thread coul be reserved for more of the drama/political/life-experience movies.

Something every person (young/old) should see and hopefully appreciate, regardless of when they were born.

Comments more than welcome.

My first two nominations:

NETWORK - 1976
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/

THE GRADUATE - 1967
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/

Just off the top of my head.

These will always remain relevant...of course until the entire structure of our country is changed by the powers that be.:monkey2

Apocalypse Now 1979

Cool Hand Luke 1967

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 1975

still have yet to see Cool Hand Luke. That's what this thread is for. What have I missed? I just finished Network for 2nd time and it is so applicable to today's political/media fed world.

cutting it fine to pre 90's but full metal jacket is a good one. captures the crazyness of the vietnam war. 1987

Just some that come to mind:

Godfather
Godfather II
Taxi Driver
Raging Bull
Escape from Alcatraz
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
And justice for all
Dog day afternoon
The Shining
Empire of the sun
Scarface
Rocky

Now imo it doesn't matter about pre 1990's because the absolute best films ever made were done so after 1990.

Me thinks the meaning of this thread has been confused for good movies and not movies with a message that still holds true in todays day and age. Anywho....

"Glengary, Glen Ross"

It was made in 92 so it just barely misses the cutoff here, but it's too good too not mention.

I'd also like to add the originals of

"12 Angry Men"

"All the Kings Men"

"Mr. Smith goes to Washington"

Lots of great movies here. I'll add a personal favorite that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Not an older classic, but I count it as modern day classic: Stand By Me (1986)

Watching it today, I still get emotional towards the end.

I would say
The Warriors 1979
Class of 1984 (early 80's)
GoodFellas (just made it 1990)
and Jaws.

Back