SS LOTR 1/6th Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Lord

Super Freak
Reaction score
Alright, alright bunch of crying babies. I thought someone else would surely post better pics by now, but here you go.

No futzing, seconds out of the box:

PA290001.jpg

PA290003.jpg

PA290002.jpg

IMO Gandalf blows old Ben out of the water. Gandalf's head/paint is very Hot Toysesque quality. No paint slop, the eyes do have very tiny "doll dots" but you really have to strain to see them, and the eyes have a real "watery" look to them. SSC hit a grand slam to what appears to be the last LOTR fig.:monkey2

Ok, hopefully these are slightly better, and can give you a better idea how much Gandalf rocks!

PA300001.jpg

PA300002.jpg

PA300003.jpg

PA300004.jpg

Quick question... are the hands cast in color as well like the Hobbits? Kind of looks like it from the Sideshow pics.

I'm not sure about the Hobbits mine are still boxed, but they appear to be cast in color and not painted like SSC other figs. Plenty of detail in them.

More:

Gandalf4.jpg

Gandalf5.jpg

Gandalf6.jpg

Gandalf7.jpg

The figure is indeed pretty amazing.

The exclusive book is awesome. His walking stick has a removable pipe in case anyone forgot. My pipe got a bit crooked in there but a little heat should fix it.

The clothing looks terrific at first glance. Love the pattern on his pant cuffs. I haven't futzed him yet, that will have to wait until Monday, but the robe, cloak, everything looks great so far.

The sculpt is really nice -- HT style -- and the beard and hair in the back have so much texture to it. Outstanding. I can see the wrinkles and cracks in McKellen's face just fine. The only nit, maybe, is that the hairline is so perfect and even it looks painted. But that really only plays in extreme close-up photography.

And it's odd -- in certain light, his eyes seem to look off to the side, while in other light they look centered. Very weird effect, I've never seen it before on a figure. Must be because they are somewhat recessed. But it's very cool.

Gandalf8.jpg

Gandalf9.jpg

Gandalf10.jpg

Gandalf11.jpg

Gandalf12.jpg

Gandalf133.jpg

Gandalf14.jpg

The warm light helps bring out the detail as well as balance the pink out of the sculpt. As you can see, no one should have any problems with this sculpt. One of SS's best.

Got Gandalf outside today...
3017356634_690cfa0a4b_o.jpg

Sun was off n' on today, but got some more shots...
3016529485_25b89fc0e7_o.jpg

3017370740_2789e83f6a_o.jpg

I gotta say...the more I look at this figure and take shots of him...well, I think this is one of best sixth-scale figures Sideshow has produced this year. (Of course, we'll see how cool Indy turns out to be, eh? :))

Gandalf really shines....said it before and I'll say it again....anyone left "on the fence" about getting this figure....c'mon! Go for it!

Also...got some shots of Frodo and Sam over in the Frodo & Sam image thread too...

Really great figures...

Back