Sideshow Mutant Jailer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Zaius

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all, I was on the Sideshow site posting reviews on the Planet of the Apes figures and see that the Beneath the Planet of the Apes Mutant Jailer is SOLD OUT!!!!!
WOO HOOO :horror

Damn them,....damn them, damn them all to hell!
They blew it up. They really did it this time.

Too bad it took 7 months to sell out. :(
I still can't believe that there isn't at least 2000 apes fan out there that are interested in these figures. :confused: A LE of 500 should of sold out in a few months at least.

No wonder SS is putting the line on hiatus. :(

Well for the diehard Ape fans, I think they figured they'd wait till the figure is actually released so they can see some better pictures of the finished product. Without SS updating their product descriptions as often as they should I can see why consumers are a little hesitant on dropping $50 bucks on a figure that doesn't match his movie attire. I have the same concerns with the Mutant Leader but I bought him anyway, knowing that SSTC usually comes through with nice surprises. The outfit that they are being portrayed in only happened in the Church scene when all the Mutants had a sing along. Underneath the white robes I hope the Leader has a Purple outfit and the Jailor beige. I also think that the lack of better head sculpts and better accessories has really hindered this line. Caesar's poster IMO was their weakest effort yet. I hope this trend doesn't continue.

I think the choice of the church attire for the Mutant Leader was done on purpose and is a logical choice. It is during the church scene that they reveal their "inmost self unto their God". It is my impression that most people will be displaying these Mutants with veined faces exposed, masks in hand. I got a glimpse of the deformed Mutant head at SDCC and that's the way I'm going to display him. He looks fantastic!

As for the Mutant Jailor, it makes financial sense for him to wear the same robe. I view this figure to be a web site exclusive version of the Mutant Leader... much like the Astronaut Taylor/Forbidden Zone Taylor pair or the two Dr. Zaiuses. There isn't going to be much difference between the two Mutants. I'm assuming only the mask will be different. It's too bad we didn't get a "Conquest" Caesar/ "Battle" Caesar combo... instead we get a paper circus poster as the sole exclusive accessory.

Technically he isn't a jailor, he is just the Mutant who manipulates Brent and Taylor into fighting each other while they are in their jail cell... but I digress. The Mutant Jailor is wearing those church robes during that pivotal scene as well as his death scene. The choice here too is a logical one.

However, I think you are going to be disappointed with what you find under their robes. :horror

Beneath Jail

Hey All
Thought I would share with you a pic of the jail I am having made for my Beneath the Planet of the Apes Taylor and Brent and the "Jailer" Mutant. It is being made buy Diorama Dreams and should be done around Nov. or Dec. we hope.

Last edited:
I agree with you Protozaius but I hope you're wrong about what's underneath. Ah, I won't really care. I'm just happy that they made the Mutants.

Holly-Smack Dr. That is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!! Damn that looks so cool. Do you know how long each wall is going to be? DD is the best at what they do, you're in good hands my friend. I can't wait to see the final product! Is this the photo you submitted to DD or is this what they came up with? Will they be updating you with Pics or just the final product? I bet you have trouble sleeping at night knowing that this is being made for you. Congrats! :banana

BPOTA Jail

Glad you liked the pic Stickman!!
This is the pic that DD sent me; this is his concept design of what it will look like. This is the first dioram I have had DD make for me but he has examples of things he has sone in the past on his web site. (Non Ape related) From what I have seen of his work I expect this to be amazing. :google
The only draw back for me is it is going to be so large I have to find a place to display it. :banghead He is making it scale with the figures and it will be 40 inches long and I believe about 20 inches tall. The door will swing open like in the movie to kill the Mutant in.
I think once I display it I will do the scene that was cut out of the final print where the Gorilla Soldier is looking through the bar window and shots in the cell with his rifle. Taylor and Brent and Nova are against the wall out of his sight and the Mutant is dead buy their feet.
If he sends pics of the progress I will post them. If not, once I get it I will post some pics of it

You're welcome Migwit.
I agree DR. you are going to need a lot of room. 40x40x20 huh? You could always put a glass top on it and turn it into a coffee table. A very cool coffee table at that!

Doc, do you have any other "blueprint" pix of the jail?
And...can you give us a rough cost idea, should we want to jail some of our own figures? Thanks!!!

Mutant Jail

Hello Ironman
Sorry for the delay; I have been away from my computer for awhile.
The pic I sent is the only thing I have. Even though I am having the jail made, we have a contract that the design belongs to DD.
The jail itself is costing me around $500.00. And since Sideshow has put the Ape line in the back seat for the moment, and this meaning I won't be buying any Sideshow Apes because their are no new ones, I can put this back as time goes on and pay for it when I get the money.

I am still thinking where to put it

stickman said:
You're welcome Migwit.
I agree DR. you are going to need a lot of room. 40x40x20 huh? You could always put a glass top on it and turn it into a coffee table. A very cool coffee table at that!

I have been looking all over my "Ape Room" to find a place to display this. I think I will wait until I have it in hand before I finally deceide on where to display it. I am glad that SS made the Mutant Jailer. When I bought my Prisoner Taylor the guy I bought him off of said his rep. at SS stated that SS was considering on not producing him due to the sales number being low for the Apes. But from the pics I have seen posted he looks very impressive and I am glad they made him. I just wish they would do the other 3 main mutants but I won't hold my breath

That sounds like a smart move DR.
By the way do you have any idea on how much your Diorama is going to weigh? Is it all going to be made out of wood and plaster?

stickman said:
That sounds like a smart move DR.
By the way do you have any idea on how much your Diorama is going to weigh? Is it all going to be made out of wood and plaster?

I asked him and I think a mixture of both as well as a spray type of foam. He said it would be solid enough not to fall apart or have a figure crash through a wall if one fell.

Oh I know it will be solid. DD makes the best diorama enviroments around. I wish SS would get into more. I was just wondering about the weight. I've seen some WWII buildings and they look heavy. I was thinking about 30 lbs.

Back