Daddy's Home

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Josh

Ringer @ Heart
Reaction score
Well, today for me as a collector and fan of LOTR and SSW is the best day ever!! Through the workings of a couple really good people I have landed the Original Balrog to my collection. As some of you know Tom (MottMorgul) from S&F with the help of someone who I don't think wants identified I landed the hardest item to land IMO. This deal has been in the workings for a couple of weeks now and mainly it's been Tom letting me figure out how I was going to be able to afford this. So I canceled some orders for Kong and Narnia items and pushed forward on this item. Tom and I agreed on a price and how the deal would shake down with help of a certain someone.

Needless to say I'm in awe of how cool this statue is and to me personally it's worth every penny I spent on it. Since, I saw the FOTR when it first came out the section of the Trilogy dealing with Moria was really my fave. When the Balrog came on screen I was like holy :horror that is just freaking awesome. Of course at the time I still didn't know about SSW or I would have bought it back then but when I did find out I wanted this piece badly. So I was pretty sad to see it sold out. It's been one of my three major goals to complete and I have no done it!!

The detail in it is sweet!! All the cracks of orange breaking through his black skin and the fire flowing down his back are just cool. The massive area that his wings cover are just down right cool. The whip is also a dam nice touch!! His pose though is the coolest part as it appears it's straight from the FOTR. Also another fave of mine is the base with the crumbled part of Moria that has managed to squish one of the Orcs.

I have the 2004 Rog as well and it's a dam nice piece also but I'm not going to lie that it really doesn't touch the Original in coolness for me personally. For those that don't want to spend 2k+ for the Original the 2004 is a dam nice fill in but for me I just had to get this piece one way or another.

As far as where he fits in my all time faves I think it's safe to say I have a tie at the top. Sauron and the Rog are just two of the absolute best pieces SSW ever made.

:balrog :balrog :balrog

Daddy's home

Congratulations on getting your much wished for piece.
Nice to hear a story from a very happy collector, it is infectious.
Keep him save! :D

Can I now Josh? Can I now??? :D

congrats.gif

Gee Josh, you don't like him really, do you? Congrats on your new baby there! Always glad to hear about happy polyfreaks. :banana

amonhen said:
Congratulations on getting your much wished for piece.
Nice to hear a story from a very happy collector, it is infectious.
Keep him save! :D

Thanks! I'm a very happy collector to say the least. I will do my best to keep him safe.

GrueSam said:
Can I now Josh? Can I now??? :D

congrats.gif

Yes, Sam now you can! :banana

Beruthiel said:
Gee Josh, you don't like him really, do you? Congrats on your new baby there! Always glad to hear about happy polyfreaks. :banana

I more than just like him I love this piece way way way too cool!!

Congratulations Josh !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that is by far one of the best statues SSW made...
:D

Congrats Josh!!

I know exactly what you mean. Balrog was actually my second piece (only because it wasn't even listed for preorder yet when I picked up Gandalf the Grey) and it was my most anticipated piece. Definitely still my favorite LOTR piece. At that time I sacrificed everything to get it and that was at retail :wacky

Of course, it's been downhill from there ever since. :horror

Congrats Josh!!

I know exactly what you mean. Balrog was [..] my most anticipated piece. Definitely still my favorite LOTR piece. At that time I sacrificed everything to get it and that was at retail

Of course, it's been downhill from there ever since.

all that, exactly what I'd say.

Well josh, now comes the part where you cancel everything and sit back and enjoy your entire collection.

Or you keep going! That's more likely in reality, hehehe. I started with the balrog, and I've paid a lot to get one of my most desired items which you got early on (Aragorn son of Arathorn) and now you've got yours and I have mine.

I'm still disappointed the Argonath single piece unit wasn't made when it was extremely superior to the DVD 2piece unit, in the face of the other prototypes that were released and a plethora of Gollum items. Yet when it's all said and done, I think back to that shift foreman I showed my balrog to shortly after I got it back in early 2003 when he said "HEY YOU SHOULD GET MORE OF THESE! What else do you have to spend your money on?!"

Well, happy days to you and your balrog!!

Just keep it away from the sun and heat. Oh and beware the droop!
:peace

VTX said:
Congratulations Josh !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that is by far one of the best statues SSW made...
:D

Thanks Bill!!

oxbeard said:
Congrats Josh!!

I know exactly what you mean. Balrog was actually my second piece (only because it wasn't even listed for preorder yet when I picked up Gandalf the Grey) and it was my most anticipated piece. Definitely still my favorite LOTR piece. At that time I sacrificed everything to get it and that was at retail :wacky

Of course, it's been downhill from there ever since. :horror

It's something special. Yup, justone of those pieces I am personally willing to sacrafise a few things for.

Seretur said:
I think I finally joined SSF tonight just so I can congratulate you on both our forums! ;)

:fireworks :fireworks :fireworks

Thanks Seretur!! Glad you joined and I hope to see you post here once in a while. :banana

Josh i am happy for you bro,when a persons grail piece is aquired its a really awesome feeling. :banana i am glad you could find your grail and afford it

Nemo Nint said:
Well josh, now comes the part where you cancel everything and sit back and enjoy your entire collection.

Nemo you know me better than that. :p

Nemo Nint said:
Or you keep going! That's more likely in reality, hehehe. I started with the balrog, and I've paid a lot to get one of my most desired items which you got early on (Aragorn son of Arathorn) and now you've got yours and I have mine.

That's what I will be doing keep going. Both are worth the money and it's just a great feeling to get one of the pieces you truly have wanted for a long time.

Nemo Nint said:
I'm still disappointed the Argonath single piece unit wasn't made when it was extremely superior to the DVD 2piece unit, in the face of the other prototypes that were released and a plethora of Gollum items. Yet when it's all said and done, I think back to that shift foreman I showed my balrog to shortly after I got it back in early 2003 when he said "HEY YOU SHOULD GET MORE OF THESE! What else do you have to spend your money on?!"

I wish that would have been made as well. At this point in my life I figure before I settle down and start the next phase I'm gonna go after a few things that I just really want.

Nemo Nint said:
Well, happy days to you and your balrog!!

Just keep it away from the sun and heat. Oh and beware the droop!
:peace

Thanks Nemo and will do!

Mitthrawnuruondo said:
Josh i am happy for you bro,when a persons grail piece is aquired its a really awesome feeling. :banana i am glad you could find your grail and afford it

Thanks Mitt!! It's a very very awesome feeling!

Congratulations on the acquisition! A very stunning piece! I recall pitchin' a tent when I opened mine up for the first time! :D

Re:

Big CONGRATS J!!!!

This piece is truly amazing and captures "the essence" of the character so well (hehe.. i know you are all about the essence). This is one piece that really makes the line complete! Congrats on it!

Hmmm.. all this talk about tent pitching has made me want to go camping....

Thanks guys!! Yes, it does capture the essence :p. Seriously, looking at it just brings a big smile to my face especially with my love for that part of the Trilogy.

Hey Josh nice going and great decision on giving up on the Kong and Narnia pieces. None of that stuff can compare to the Daddy Rog. Plus that other stuff will be around for some time and you can probably pick it up later when your finances recover. It seems that the Daddy Rogs are becoming rarer and rarer on the ebay market.

Congrats :joy

John :google

Back