Nolan (Vaguely) Answers if He'll Direct Third Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Hey, grandchildren, do you still follow that cape man you liked so much? That... Batmin character? Oh, good, because Christopher Nolan has finally spoken on if he's doing a third Batmin movie! His answer: maybe. More specifically:

Well ... let me think how to put this. There are two things to be said. One is the emphasis on story. What’s the story? Is there a story that’s going to keep me emotionally invested for the couple of years that it will take to make another one? That’s the overriding question. On a more superficial level, I have to ask the question: How many good third movies in a franchise can people name? [Laughs.] At the same time, in taking on the second one, we had the challenge of trying to make a great second movie, and there haven't been too many of those either. It’s all about the story really. If the story is there, everything is possible. I hope that was a suitably slippery answer.
Maybe he's right.
You can't always maintain the kind of third-chapter quality of an Austin Powers in Goldmember.

Well, since ROTS was the best of the Prequel trilogy (not great mind you, but at least better than the previous two) then I should say go for it.

And besides, wouldn't he be in charge of the story which would make it his choice to do the movie or not?

And besides, wouldn't he be in charge of the story which would make it his choice to do the movie or not?

That is what I am thinking as well...

I do respect Nolan only having the highest expectations for the films that he is attached to. He must be aware that WB is going to make another batman with or w/o him... I can't imagine Nolan being okay with someone else taking over his story (especially the way the 2nd film left off).

As for the "most third movies suck" comment...

Return of the King
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Bourne Ultimatum
Goldfinger
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I know some would disagree)

These are all GREAT third films! (IMO)

They're going to throw a bazillion dollars and him and he's going to say:

"when would you like the film made by?"

He'll make it. WB will throw so much money at him he'll have no choice. And I'm sure Bale, his brother, and him will come up with a story that is intriguing to them and the audience.

I recommend everyone check out the whole interview. Chris clears up a LOT surrounding the movie... addressing rumors concerning whether or not there were long-term plans for a trilogy in advance, the existence (more accurately non-existence) of political implications, and TDK as a cult phenomenon. It's very illuminating.

That is what I am thinking as well...

I do respect Nolan only having the highest expectations for the films that he is attached to. He must be aware that WB is going to make another batman with or w/o him... I can't imagine Nolan being okay with someone else taking over his story (especially the way the 2nd film left off).

As for the "most third movies suck" comment...

Return of the King
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Bourne Ultimatum
Goldfinger
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I know some would disagree)

These are all GREAT third films! (IMO)

While I admit for the most part your list is absolutely correct but imagine how big the list of bad third movies would be.:D

A part III is inevitable imo, we need to remember who the deciding factors are here.................production companies. TDK made a billion dollars and we are still wondering if a 3rd will be made?

Not only a 3rd will be made but probably a 4th too ................until something as bad as Batman and Robin turns up. Then they'll stop.

Did James Cameron have any say with T3?

JM2C.

The Dark Knight had a great story, no doubt...but to me, the biggest obstacle is how do you ever top or at least even compete with a movie where Batman fights his #1 enemy & that enemy is played so well that it becomes one of the very best badguy performances EVER.

oh, and then that badguy doesn't die in the film, but he does die in real life.

I guess I don't look at movie sequels as having to "top" the previous film to be a success. A good movie is a good movie. As long as it doesn't get Schumacher bad I'm all for it.

I just want to see the characters' stories continue and in Batman's case I'd like to see him come up against other villians from the comics regardless of the fact that Joker has appeared already.

I'd like to see him and his relationships with others evolve. Just as long as the story line doesn't go south I don't need a bigger action bang or more special effects than the previous film to keep my interest.

man why did godfather three have to ruin this for 3 movies everywhere LOL :p
that would be sucky if he didnt return, i mean, why leave us hanging on then @ the dark knight finale if you're not set to continue? i hate directors/people like that. it's art, yeah, but damn don't go overboard. that would have been like leaving the first movie finale hanging, then not making the dark knight with the joker.

Even when part of the Justice League he doesn't play well with others. :chew

I like Nolan's stance on crossover potential for the Batman universe that he created for the films. It might seem to diminish the leap that Batman has made, forging himself physically and mentally into a symbol for justice, if he weren't the first such person to do it. It's extraordinary, it's meant to be a magnificent achievement, but one that forces a person to question just how sane this man really is. If he were just dressing up and modeling his feats after Superman or Green Lantern, etc., then it doesn't make this Batman quite so remarkable.

There's an inherent originality that needs to be shown respect, and that is Batman embodying a fear, a symbol, that these criminals have never encountered before; never even heard whispers about before! Nolan has the right idea. I think we can see other movies made about other DC heroes, but do we really need to coalesce the various stories? I'm happy as long as they leave Nolan's visionary world untampered with and untainted.

It'll get made, and Nolan will return. If he wasn't, we would have heard who the next director is by now. Warner is trying to stick with the attention on TDK so when Academy Award nominations come in, they have a better chance of getting nominations then if they announce the sequel and that Nolan is directing again. See Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers. They waited to give any wins until ROTK. At least that's my hope of what's happening right now.

The Dark Knight had a great story, no doubt...but to me, the biggest obstacle is how do you ever top or at least even compete with a movie where Batman fights his #1 enemy & that enemy is played so well that it becomes one of the very best badguy performances EVER.

oh, and then that badguy doesn't die in the film, but he does die in real life.

EXACTLY. Can any Batman film ever really compete with TDK? Personally, I don't think so. It certainly won't be bettered anywhoo, but that's just stating the obvious.

Back