The Complete Fotr Recordings 4 Cd Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayhiker

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi guys,

just in case you haent herd about this yet. Also wasnt sure if this was the correct location for this post so please move if needed. thanks.

The complete Oscar and Grammy winning score to "The Fellowship of the Ring," from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available in a deluxe four-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on November 22nd, 2005.

This historic release contains over 180 minutes of music on three CDs, comprising the full score of the 2001 film, composed by Howard Shore. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" marks the first edition of the three complete recording releases of the film trilogy whose score has been honored with three Academy Awards, four Grammy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. This deluxe set also includes exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes culled from "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films," to be published in 2006. Enya's song "May It Be," which received an Oscar nomination for Best Original Song and which she performed at the Academy Awards ceremony, is contained on "The Complete Recordings" within all-new selection titles that reflect the complete score being released in its entirety for the first time.

Says "The Lord of the Rings" director, Peter Jackson, "No matter how many great performances or exciting visuals we put together for the movie, we found that it was all somewhat two dimensional until we added the emotional heart of Howard Shore's music. Then, and only then, did the film come to life."

Added Paul Broucek, Executive Vice President of Music at New Line Cinema, "Listening to the breathtaking music Howard Shore created is like seeing the movie time and time again. You just close your eyes, open your ears and the whole film unfolds before you. Howard's work is incredibly visual, evocative and narrative."

Composer of over sixty film scores, Howard Shore brought a lifetime of experience to creating the epochal soundtrack for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. Shore used Tolkien's texts and drew from multiple periods throughout music history to evoke the book's enchanted worlds. He developed over 80 leitmotifs to describe the cultures of Middle-earth. Collaborating with authors/lyrists Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, he composed choral music including the Tolkien-created languages for the Elves (Quenya and Sindarin), the Dwarves (Khuzdûl), Men (Adûnaic) and the evil cultures of Mordor (Black Speech). The result was a movie music breakthrough that has been followed by such subsequent triumphs by Shore as The Aviator, Gangs of New York, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and "The Return of the King." "The Lord Of The Rings Symphony: Six Movements for Orchestra and Chorus," a two-hour work based on the twelve hours of score composed for the film trilogy, has been performed in over 70 concerts in cities all over the world.

Composed for symphony orchestra and three separate choirs, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" highlights two original compositions by the multi-platinum Irish recording artist, Enya, including "Aníron (Theme for Aragorn and Arwen)" and "May It Be." Also featured in the score are solo performances by Elizabeth Fraser, Edward Ross, Mabel Faletolu as well as cast members Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.

The fourth disc will present "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" in 5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format. The set will also include exclusive new artwork, packaging, and extensive liner notes: "The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films -- Part I: The Fellowship of the Ring" by author Doug Adams.

"Appropriately enough for the film adaptation of one of fantasy literature's most enduring favorites," wrote the All Music Guide, "Howard Shore's score for Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' is traditional and majestic, using sweeping strings, brass and choral sections to create moments of fire-and-brimstone menace as well heroic triumph."

Awesome!! I think this is what I read about a year or so ago. Well, at least it appears that way talking about music from the EE and all.

re

thanks for the heads up on this.
I'll definetely be getting one, sounds great.

The fourth disc will present "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Complete Recordings" in 5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format.
Though I doubt it, it would be really nice if video was played during the music.

that'll be really great :)

What I wonder is how there could be over 180 minutes of music even if it's music from the Extended version because throughout movies there are plenty of times when there is no music.
But my guess would be that there are musical outtakes, and if so, then I'll be very excited to hear them. :joy

This would make the longest album I have, compared to the 2 hour 20 minute score album to Ben Hur I own.

Bring it on! I think my favourite will be the two towers. Man I thought buying this Lord of the Rings stuff would end.

Thats sounds great!.

I've not got any of the LOTR soundtracks or anything like that so I just wanna ask what is probably a really dumb question to you guys. :confused: So I'll apologise now.

The song played at the very end of ROTK, when the credits are running after the film has finished, is that the Enya song???, because I LOVE THAT SONG !.

I would definately like to get this set thats for sure

shell :D
x

Adoptedscot said:
The song played at the very end of ROTK, when the credits are running after the film has finished, is that the Enya song???, because I LOVE THAT SONG !.

No, that's Annie Lennox that sings that one.

Adoptedscot said:

I would definately like to get this set thats for sure

shell :D
x

Yep "Into the West" sung by Lennox, but the Enya song is my fave in the series (May it Be)! :cool:

Who can say where the road goes, or the day goes? Only time!

oh wait... hehe

I really like those mentioned songs, Into the West and May it Be but additionally I personally think Gollum's Song is the best, at least it has an effect on me that I don't feel with the others.

Ah I dunno why I like it more than the rest for sure, maybe because I always had this compassion for Smeagol like what Frodo felt. I love May it Be but I cannot understand teh lyrics everytime. Enyas voice is just so soothing I forget to listen to the words. lol

I wonder if Gollums Song will be in the super album for The Two Towers.

jlcmsu said:
Awesome!! I think this is what I read about a year or so ago. Well, at least it appears that way talking about music from the EE and all.
Did I miss something from the announcement above? I certainly hope that this CD set is produced from the EE, but I didn't see anything in the blurb that confirmed that fact.

hi guys,

havent seen it on preorder yet from amazon but it should be soon maybe first or second week of october? i am also hoping this is an extended edition soundtrack.

dh

jlcmsu said:

i think this is the part of the 12 disc set that howard shore was talking about...cant wait.

would be fantastic on long drives...

Doesn't seem to be available on pre-order yet from Amazon.com. I would think it would be soon. It will be a must have for me.

And just an hour ago I was browsing TORn and Amazon.com to see if this thing has surfaced at all! What a happy coincidence.

:joy :joy :joy :joy :joy

Anyway, Howard Shore confirmed that the entire EE music will be on these sets in an interview last year, so we're safe there, Robo. ;) And as for the length of the set, a lot of the music as used in the film was edited in some way; it would be grand if these CDs presented the cues as Shore intended them.

All in all, this is as exciting as the Star Wars soundtrack releases from 1997, which included the (virtually) complete Williams compositions, and excellent liner notes that the current editions don't have. And they'll be here in two months!

:banana

dayhiker said:
Also featured in the score are solo performances by Elizabeth Fraser, Edward Ross, Mabel Faletolu as well as cast members Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan.

This bit is Interesting.

I know where the two Ian's and Viggo sang in FotR but could not think where Billy and Dom did.

Edit
Just remembered that they sing at the Green Dragon.

What I wonder is how there could be over 180 minutes of music even if it's music from the Extended version because throughout movies there are plenty of times when there is no music.
But my guess would be that there are musical outtakes, and if so, then I'll be very excited to hear them. :joy

As to the 180 mins of Music, I seem to recall that the 180 min Theatrical release featured 150 mins of Music which is indeed a higher percentage than most films and if the additional 30 mins of footage was fully scored that makes 180 mins.

It's possible that there will be unused/Alternative Music (such as "Use well the Days") and indeed older reports did say these CDs would feature such, but I wonder if these would be split onto the three releases or just all put on one CD released with the Full RotK Set.

Last edited:
Back