Hello from Japan!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supergaijin76

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey... I guess I could've tried to be really cool and say "Konnichiwa" or something like that. I'm an American living in Japan, and I mostly signed up for this board to push for 1/6th scale figures from a certain movie (well, mostly just to post about it once and let it go at that) but...

I'm a toy collector and a fan of Sideshow's products. The first Sideshow figure I ever bought was one of their smaller Universal Monster figures, Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's Monster. I loved the likeness and heft of that baby. Then I found out they were branching out into 1/6th scale. Those were cool to look at but didn't do that much for me until Sideshow announced the Sean Connery as James Bond figure. Had to have it, bought it, love it, brought it to Japan with me.

I'd wanted a Connery Bond in this scale since I was a kid. And then they did Planet of the Apes, and I was in heaven. The Indiana Jones license really sealed the deal, but since I live in Japan things get a little complicated so I wasn't able to order the Sideshow Indy. I'm on my own little Ark/Grail quest to get one.

I usually just collect whatever moves me at the time. If someone were to do figures from a certain cult flick I love, I'd be a guaranteed sale on those but I'm not a completist by any means. I'm into 1/6th stuff from various companies, managed to make a Tom Hanks as Capt. Miller custom a while back, have a DC Direct Batman. Just general stuff like that.

Other than that, I'm into movies (classics, cheesy flicks, art films), literature, comics (American and Japanese), music and art, art, art.

Welcome.
welcome-1.gif

Thanks for the welcoming... welcome, everyone! Greatly appreciated. And I'm in Shizuoka prefecture, not all that far from Mt. Fuji. Actually, on clear days I can see Fuji from the elevator landing outside my apartment. It's tiny, but it's there.

Oh, and if you're ever in Japan, Akihabara is the place to go for 1/6th figures and toys. There's a huge building just outside the Electronics Town exit at the station and it has several toy and model shops. You go up the steps in the center of the building and find crazy stuff on just about every floor. These shops carry just about ANYTHING you could want. One warning- the one that's the most stocked also features claustrophobically narrow aisles and once you go down one it's very difficult to turn around to go back up it.

Still... that's where I'm going to look for the SST Indy over my New Year's vacation.

There's also a comic/toy shop in Harajuku, not far from the Gap that carries some SST products. Mostly Star Wars.

In my own town, I know of one pretty good hobby/model shop that carries a lot of 1/6th stuff but it's mostly Dragon's military figures. Which are nifty, too.

Akihabara is insane, kohjinsha tiny comps for mad cheap.

Harajuku is fun just not on sundays haha, welcome to the freaks man.

Akihabara is insane, kohjinsha tiny comps for mad cheap.

Harajuku is fun just not on sundays haha, welcome to the freaks man.

True that... I used to go to Akihabara all the time... It was a madhouse! But, it's what got me started on this crazy hobby.

Welcome to the boards bro! :rock

Oh yeah, Akihabara is pretty crazy. Actually, I was there just a month before the stabbings... glad my vacation fell when it did. I wasn't that interested in Akihabara when it was just an electronics place, but when the akiba-kei and the toys and whatnot began making inroads there, I knew I had to go. I'm very into the pop culture aspects of Japan.

I also hit Harajuku pretty often. The last time I went I started making a little documentary about it and got threatened by some big dude. That was interesting. I'm into the fashions and different groups around Tokyo... the gosuroris, the decora and "Fruits" stuff... but I think a lot of the originality has moved out of Harajuku. At least away from Take^^^^a-dori. The last couple of times I was there were disappointing.

Usually I'm in Shinjuku and Shibuya... for the books. And Ikebukuro for the pizza buffet!

And thanks again for the welcomes!

Welcome!

So you can get cheap Medicom stuff in Japan yeh? :D

Haha! Relatively cheap. It looks like Sideshow sold their Indiana Jones for about what I paid for it here. What hurts is paying the difference for stuff coming the opposite direction. Magazines are 2 or 3 times cover price, Sideshow figures probably run about 20 bucks more (I'm guessing right now... the last time I saw one was back in August and the price has slipped my mind), books are about 1.5 times cover price...

The trade off is, my household budget is a little roomier!

Back