WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Okay, I'll kick this one off...

I mentioned this in the other thread once (I think) but just in case... the opening credit sequence of the movie is set to "The Times They Are A Changing" by Bob Dylan and features lots of footage of WATCHMEN lore, both from the book and created for the film. One shot reveals The Comedian on the infamous grassy knoll as the true assassin of JFK, which was hinted at in a bit of dialogue in the book but never overtly confirmed, much less shown. :google

We'll also see Dollar Bill get his cape stuck in the revolving doors of the National Bank and be shot by the mob guys, as well as young Walter Kovacs watching lots of guys coming and going from Mommy's bedroom. And perhaps the coolest bit... Veidt outside of Studio 54 shaking hands with David Bowie.

MARCH 6th!!!!!

:rock

I am going into this with an open mind. I respect Alan Moore and understand why he feels the way he feels, but being first and foremost a film fan it's difficult NOT to be excited by what's been shown so far.
IJ - since you seem to be on top of this, and since this is a SPOILER thread, I'm just curious if you know how the film ending differs from the book. And also, has it been established if the Cold War remains as a thematic element, or has it been updated to reflect current events?

I am going into this with an open mind. I respect Alan Moore and understand why he feels the way he feels, but being first and foremost a film fan it's difficult NOT to be excited by what's been shown so far.
IJ - since you seem to be on top of this, and since this is a SPOILER thread, I'm just curious if you know how the film ending differs from the book. And also, has it been established if the Cold War remains as a thematic element, or has it been updated to reflect current events?

There reportedly has been more than one ending tested so far, but the one tested in Portland last week was changed from the book in that Veidt doesn't use a genetically mutated "alien" squid to destroy half of NYC, but some kind of Hydrogen bombs go off there (and elsewhere) that frames Dr. Manhattan as a menace to all mankind. Obviously, this ending has not been well-received by WATCHMEN purists. I don't know. On the surface, I don't like it either. But I'm willing to give Snyder the benefit of the doubt. And there is reportedly at least one other alternate ending, which may or may not be more like the book. But in any case, the theme of the end has remained intact: Veidt's the bad guy and gets away with it, Rorschach dies, etc.

And yes, the Cold War and Doomsday Clock theme are very much there. It's still set in 1985, Richard Nixon is running for his 5th Presidential term, Vietnam has become the 51st U.S. state, and the threat of WWIII nears when Dr. Manhattan leaves Earth for Mars and Russia invades Afghanistan. All of that stuff is firmly intact in the film.

Not really what you're looking for i know, but iTunes has the first 2 chapters, more forthcoming, of the motion animated comic read by the amazing Tom Stechshulte who has a great voice and has recorded the audiobooks of Cormac McCarthy among others.

And the nuclear ending has me a bit worried, not sure how that would bring the world/ US & USSR together and prevent WWIII, but everything else seems awesome so I'll trust Zack. Though, I can see why they'd want it to be more of a worldwide threat rather than just alien squid attacks NYC. Still the world blames/kills Dr. M for the nuked cities and then they just agree not to have a war because of that? seems lame :confused:

Where can I read the watchmen online?

At the book store for 20 bucks.

Yes I know, I hate when people do this to me, but for The Watchmen, you NEED to own it. You probably will want to go back and re-read after you read it for the first time. Its not the deepest peice of fiction, but its not like 300 or anything.

Yes I know, I hate when people do this to me, but for The Watchmen, you NEED to own it. You probably will want to go back and re-read after you read it for the first time. Its not the deepest peice of fiction, but its not like 300 or anything.

I'll pick it up tomorrow,thanks.

or order it at tfaw.com for only $10. well worth it.

I ordered a dozen copies of the TPB from Joe to give out as Christmas presents. :rock

Oh, and I hate to be "that guy", but it's just WATCHMEN. No "The". :monkey3

By the way, the supposed release date for the UNDER THE HOOD/TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER tie-in DVD release is now March 10th. I cannot wait for that, either. :rock

By the way, the supposed release date for the UNDER THE HOOD/TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER tie-in DVD release is now March 10th. I cannot wait for that, either. :rock

Will the animation style parallel that of the gn?

watchmen-20081023102100839_640w.jpg

Comic Book Resources has a rumor which should put a smile on the face of all you Watchmen-reading, giant squid-loving nerds who were dismayed at the possibility that Ozymandius' insane plan might instead be changed to a Dr. Manhattan-inspired set of atomic reactors.

I'm told that this screening was intentionally leaked to the fan press - with the exact time and place posted online with details of how to evade the security. The intent is to gauge fan reaction to a squidless ending for Watchmen and see what they can get away with, believing it to be more suitable for a more mainstream audience. The FX for the squid has been completed however.This certainly jibes with all the rumors of the squid footage being shot, and the mentions of squid by the Watchmen actors. And I can certainly see the Warner Bros. think the giant alien squid wouldn't fly with audiences, and Zack Snyder convincing them to try it out in a test screening first. There's no way to know if this rumor is true, of course, but even if it is, there's no indication whether Warner will decide to keep the squid or use the reactor version. Sure, the fans are in a tizzy online, but if Warner's testing has enough non-fans who like th reactor version, I'm sure that's what we're going to get. However, I'm sure the alternate squid ending will end up on the DVD, at least. (Via io9)

Comic Book Resources has a rumor which should put a smile on the face of all you Watchmen-reading, giant squid-loving nerds who were dismayed at the possibility that Ozymandius' insane plan might instead be changed to a Dr. Manhattan-inspired set of atomic reactors.

I'm told that this screening was intentionally leaked to the fan press - with the exact time and place posted online with details of how to evade the security. The intent is to gauge fan reaction to a squidless ending for Watchmen and see what they can get away with, believing it to be more suitable for a more mainstream audience. The FX for the squid has been completed however.This certainly jibes with all the rumors of the squid footage being shot, and the mentions of squid by the Watchmen actors. And I can certainly see the Warner Bros. think the giant alien squid wouldn't fly with audiences, and Zack Snyder convincing them to try it out in a test screening first. There's no way to know if this rumor is true, of course, but even if it is, there's no indication whether Warner will decide to keep the squid or use the reactor version. Sure, the fans are in a tizzy online, but if Warner's testing has enough non-fans who like th reactor version, I'm sure that's what we're going to get. However, I'm sure the alternate squid ending will end up on the DVD, at least. (Via io9)

Oh please let there be squid! Oh please, oh please, oh please!

Back