"Watching The Watchmen" Book Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
This book is released this week (10/21) by Titan Books and deserves it's own thread, imho. I ordered my copy of the Hardcover from Amazon and it has already shipped. Local Comic Shops and bookstores should start receiving it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Anyway, here's the run-down:

51xdAu%2BHzGL._SS500_.jpg

Enjoy the ultimate companion to a comics masterpiece, as award-winning artisist Dave Gibbons gives his own account of the genesis of WATCHMEN in this dust-jacketed hardback volume, opening his vast personal archives to reveal excised pages, original character designs, page thumbnails, sketches and much more, including posters, covers and rare portfolio art. Featuring the breathtaking design of Chip Kidd and Mike Essl, WATCHING THE WATCHMEN is both a major art book in its own right, and the definitive companion to the graphic novel that changed an industry.

Some early character designs from the book:
Watchmen_414845a.jpg

1727425i0.jpg

1727425f0.jpg

1727425b0.jpg

BTW, there will also be a Diamond/Previews Exclusive Edition (for comics retailers) with an exclusive cover, a signature page from Dave Gibbons, unseen archive art and a set of eight art cards:

JUL084218F.jpg

I ordered my copy of the Previews Exclusive edition from TFAW.com (it's also available for order at Forbidden Planet) but I'm not sure if it will ship this week like the Regular HC or not.

Anyway, I can't wait to devour these books. :rock

Yeah, some of those early designs are in ABSOLUTE WATCHMEN. I guess that's what Rorschach would have looked like had he made an entire suit out of Kitty Genovese's Manhattan Dress fabric instead of just a mask. And the flasher pose... Uh... wow. :lol

Holy ^^^^. I forgot this comes out tomorrow. Thanks Irish. I have much to look forward to after work tomorrow :)

That Comedian cover is suh-weet. I want that one.

man.. this looks like a sweet book ! :rock
Will have to pick this up , I love seeing early designs and stuff , my fave book for that type of stuff would of been Stan winstons seeing predator and alien early stuff.
Will be nice to have another book similar but looking at Watchmen stuff! :rock

Thanks for the info.

I did post about this a while ago but no one else added anything to it :(

waiting for mine to show up, couldn't make it to the signing at the Forbidden Planet in London, so ordered a signed one off their website. Is only Dave Gibbons signature however

Mine should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday).

Still no shipping notice on the Previews Exclusive edition from TFAW, however.

Not yet. In fact, I'm not sure there are any in-hand pics of either version floating around yet. But that will change any moment now as the Regular Edition is now hitting. The Exclusive should (in theory) be shipping this week as well.

Not yet. In fact, I'm not sure there are any in-hand pics of either version floating around yet. But that will change any moment now as the Regular Edition is now hitting. The Exclusive should (in theory) be shipping this week as well.

I'll hit up the comic shop tomorrow morning. Mine is always slow to put stuff out, which is why I didn't go today since I'd probably be disappointed.

Got my copy of the Regular Edition today from Amazon. GORGEOUS! :rock

I've preordered the Ex edition. I'm surprised you got both for just a difference in cover. But then, you have one in hand and I don't. :D

I wanted the Regular Edition as well, because I devour everything WATCHMEN and require "reading and reference copies" that don't necessarily have to remain mint. :D

I skimmed throught this, and while it looked nice, I'm looking foward more to the reprinted Absolute Edition.

Back