LOTR: The Exhibition

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yippy

Brothers to the end
Reaction score
The Exhibition

I was wondering if anyone who has gone to see the LOTR Motion Picture Trilogy Exhibition would mind sharing their experience again. The Exhibition is going to be at the Indiana State Museum from Oct. 6-Jan. 3 and I am seriously thinking about attending it. Thanks in advance.

I saw the exhibition in Boston and it was truly amazing. To see all the costumes, props and weapons was an experience not to be forgotten. It's well worth the trip and price of admission. A visit no true LOTR fan should pass on IMO.

Beruthiel said:
I saw the exhibition in Boston and it was truly amazing. To see all the costumes, props and weapons was an experience not to be forgotten. It's well worth the trip and price of admission. A visit no true LOTR fan should pass on IMO.

Heh, I'm just waiting for them to announce when they'll be heading to the West coast. Otherwise, I'm just too cash-poor and polystone-rich to justify the trip . . . Besides, they haven't waived the no-cameras-allowed policy yet.

According to everything I am reading, this is the last stop on the continent.

I do intend on going, its the next state over! But I'm not sure when. Saturdays would be good for me as I can drive in early or the night before. If anyone wants to meet there let me know and hopefully we can plan a get together!

They are offering a deal where you actually spend the night with the exhibit. My wife & I plan on going, but we do not know when. Last I tried to get tickets, they still had all days & all times open.

I SEE THAT! That would be incredible! Not to mention saving the cost of a hotel (uh, where are the showers? :D )

I saw this exhibition on a trip to London. Its fabulous and not to be missed if you can get there at all.

Only negative, no cameras.

Beruthiel said:

I agree completely. I saw it in Houston and it was amazing. Sauron's armor is unreal to see in person. The only bad this is you'll be mad once you see the Lurtz maquette on display (looks much better than the SS version).

exhibition

I saw the exhibition here in Wellington...i remember i took a photo of my wife standing in the exhibition store...at the back was 7 boxes of Sam and Bill for $350NZ each, 4 Stone Trolls and other big Guns of the FOTR series. Damn...if only i could turn back time... :banghead

I'm going to try to go probably towards late Nov. or during the last couple days in January. It's a 20 hour drive there and back so hopefully one of my friends will want to tag along. :ring

Thanks everyone for the input.

Danny-Can you be more specific about the LOTR Symphony? Does it accompany the Exhibition or does it have its own schedule and it just so happened that you got to see both events at the same time?

Thats fairly close to me so I am going to try to go.Thanks for the link.I am sure it will be awesome.

The costumes and the armor were absolutely amazing. It really makes the movie come alive (as if that was needed). I would have gone twice if the exhibit was in my town.

The Exhibition was on in Sydney at the beginning of the year. As I live close to the museum, I managed to see it about 4 times. It was great! Each visit I concentrated on different aspects, as there were lots of beautiful things to see and info to read up on: the costumes, jewellery, banners, maquettes, weapons, helmets, replicas of orthanc, barad-dur, treebeard, the cave troll etc etc. :D It also had a shop connected with it, with lots of Weta goodies. The last day of the exhibition, they had a good sale on, well worth the wait.

Are you regulated to when you enter and leave the exhibition or do you get to stay as long as you want?

I have visited in Singapore too.. twice in fact. For the 1st time, I took leave on a weekday just to visit it, to avoid the crowd. I had a nice time to look at all the piece at my own leisure. At that time, the LOTR symphony is not compiled here... so Singaporeans only got to watch the LOTR Appendices in the DVD in the auditorium...

Other than the 2 local toys retailers selling some UC and SSW stuff, the only feature of interest is the false persepctive phototaking..However, every piece of armour you see that is amazing... breathtaking..

After the exhibition, I have a dream that one rich guy will actually proposed to the organiser, New Line or Weta themselves to purchase the entire set to be permanently preserved for the LOTR fans worldwide. It should take up a few warehouse space and ideally situated in NZ. Now that we knew a lot of the LOTR sets are destroyed, these becomes the only remanents of this great movie. To many fans, IMHO, we wouldn't wish to have them destroyed... Now that Edoras, Helms Deep, Minas Tirith are already not there... how would the future generation ever be shared in such works of beauty...

If only this board has more than a 100,000 members, it may be possible for us to start a Preservation Fund to purchase this and maintain by a organisation... Admission will be free to a true fan from worldwide...

Wow... what an incredible and impossible dream.... :angelsmil :angelsmil

I also attended the LOTR exhibition and symphony in Houston this past July. The exhibition was in Houston June thru August. The Houston symphony performed on 2 nights July 8th and 9th. The symphony is NOT connected to the exhibition.

All of the LOTR items/displays from the exhibit are on loan from a museum in New Zealand where they will be returned after the exhibit ends in Indiana. So after the exhibit leaves the US anyone wanting to see it in the near future will need to travel to New Zealand.

It was an amazing expierence. They try to control how many people are allowed to enter the exhibit each hour but they allow you as much time as needed to see everything. I spent about 3 hours viewing everything in detail but could have soent longer but I needed to get to the symphony and traffic in Houston is just awful. The symphony really capped the day off perfectly.

John :smokin

exhibition

This is worth seeing - I saw it twice: Once in Singapore, and again in Sydney.
It would have been nice to have a couple of photo opportunities, such as with the cave troll. Good exhibition nonetheless.

Scriff

Back