Ebay question on shipping increase from seller

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkknight

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I purchased an item on ebay and shipping states $10.50. So after purchasing it I get an invoice from the seller and now the shipping is increased to $14.50. It does not state on the auction that shipping will be adjusted if there is a shipping price quoted. I know it's $4 more but it's kind of shady. Here is the terms and conditions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

* WE ACCEPT PAYMENT BY MONEY ORDER
* PERSONAL CHECKS MADE PAYABLE TO HERO HEADQUARTERS, INC. CHECKS TAKE 15 WORKING DAYS (3 WEEKS) TO CLEAR. NO EXCEPTIONS!
* WE ALSO ACCEPT PAYMENT BY CREDIT CARD. WE ACCEPT VISA, MASTERCARD, DISCOVER, AND AMERICAN EXPRESS. AND PAYPAL IS ALWAYS AN OPTION.

SHIPPING IS ADDED ON TO THE TOTAL WINNING AUCTION/PURCHASE AMOUNT.
* WE SHIP BY UPS AND ALSO BY POST OFFICE. YOU MAY REQUEST ONE OR THE OTHER IF YOU LIKE AND WE WILL TRY TO ACCOMMODATE YOUR REQUEST.
* IF THE SHIPPING PRICE IS NOT LISTED AT THE END OF THE ITEM DESCRIPTION, IT WILL BE DETERMINED BY SIZE, WEIGHT AND DESTINATION. WE ALSO COMBINE SHIPPING ON MULTIPLE WINS TO SAVE BUYERS/BIDDERS ON SHIPPING COSTS.
* INSURANCE WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY FIGURED INTO THE FINAL SHIPPING PRICE IF SHIPPED VIA UPS. INSURANCE IS INCLUDED ON ALL ITEMS SHIPPED UPS. IF SHIPPED VIA POST OFFICE, INSURANCE IS OPTIONAL TO BUYER AND MAY BE ADDED ONTO SHIPPING PRICE IF BUYER WISHES.
* WE REQUIRE PAYMENT BE MADE WITHIN 10 DAYS OF AUCTIONS END OR THE PURCHASE OF THE ITEM IN OUR STORE.

You are not obligated to pay for the increase. It's the seller's responsibility to incur whatever cost he/she stated in the auction.

I guess you can email the seller and state eBay policy that the seller is responsible for the mistake. You can either just tell the seller you are not interested in it anymore.

It's like putting a $1 shipping fee and then charge $100 for shipping fee afterward LOL. It's just wrong.

Just pay the initially quoted rate and then raise a ruckus if the seller complains. A lot of the time this sort of thing is due to a clerical error on the part of the seller.

In any case, don't pay the higher rate. You're in the right here.

For a measley $4, the seller should be willing to cover it, especially since it looks like he's a regular seller. How much was the item you won?

I know I've had to do it in the past due to me being careless and assuming something I'm selling will weigh X lbs when boxed up and it turns out to be more, so I take the loss.

it looks like the extra charges are for insurance since it's shipped via USPS not UPS.

it looks like the extra charges are for insurance since it's shipped via USPS not UPS.

But it states insurance is included in S&H.

Shipping and Handling To Service Insurance
US $10.50 United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®
Estimated delivery 2-3 days*
Included in S&H

well, if the $4 for insurance is the extra amount, it should be optional, unless seller said it was required. That's caught me off too, but I just paid it, since it was a statue and I figure for an extra $4 for insurance of a $300+ statue, it's worth it. But for a 12" figure? It should be optional, and I wouldn't pay for it either. How does a figure break?

But it states insurance is included in S&H.

Shipping and Handling To Service Insurance
US $10.50 United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®
Estimated delivery 2-3 days*
Included in S&H
Yeah, that pretty much settles it. Just pay them the $10.50 and see what they do; if they refuse to ship to you, get them in trouble with eBay.

Yeah, that pretty much settles it. Just pay them the $10.50 and see what they do; if they refuse to ship to you, get them in trouble with eBay.

Don't know if I can, he just sent me a new invoice the following day I purchased it and set the shipping to $14.50. I know it's just $4, but it is just wrong.

Don't know if I can, he just sent me a new invoice the following day I purchased it and set the shipping to $14.50. I know it's just $4, but it is just wrong.

if it wont let you pay the original amount, try deduct a discount on the invoice, see what that does.
If still nothing, just message them, they gave you a shipping quote and they have to stand by that, if they quoted you incorrectly, thats their problem, not yours.
You pay the $10.50 and no more, their mistake, they can pay it.

It might only be $4 but imagine if they do that to every buyer?, they will be racking up the money, its the principle of the thing imo.
They gave you a quote and should stick to that quote, simple as.
x :peace

Don't know if it justify the problem but I had emailed them yesterday and got this today. Notice the reply I got from them was in Caps Lock.

Q-Hi, I will be paying with paypal within the 10 days the auction ended. One question is why did the shipping amount change from $10.50 to $14.50? It states $10.50 in the auction and does not state it will change. Thanks.

A-HELLO. I BELIEVE YOUR ADDRESS IS HAWAII? IF SO, ALL SHIPPING LISTED IS FOR CONT. 48 UNITED STATES. ALASKA AND HAWAII ARE MORE AS I'M SURE YOU SEE OFTEN. IF YOUR MAILING ADDRESS IS NOT HAWAII, SHIPPING IS 10.50. THANKS,

HERO HQ

Q-YES MY ADDRESS IS HAWAII. THE AUCTION DID NOT STATE THAT SHIPPING FOR $10.50 IS FOR THE CONT. 48 UNITED STATES. I PURCHASED ALLOT FROM EBAY WHEN STATED FOR UNITED STATES AND MY SHIPPING DID NOT INCREASE BECAUSE I AM FROM HAWAII.

Waiting for their reply.

Stick to your guns. I read the whole page and nothing specifies shipping increases for your state or Alaska.

yeah if he sticks with the increased shipping just tell him you'll go elsewhere with your business. he can't do anything about it. if he files a complaint with ebay they will favor with you and he'll end up paying for the auction regardless.

Stick to your guns. I read the whole page and nothing specifies shipping increases for your state or Alaska.

The thing is that I don't want the seller to pull out of the deal because of the MS cash back I got for 30% off. Just found out that he listed another General Obi Ex., hope that is not the one I purchased. Sounds like he's pissed because he Caps Locked all his letters. Like it's my fault.

If it is the same one how can he sell it? You have not canceled the sale. You only asked to clarify the shipping issue.
I hope some of the real ebay savvy members will add to this topic.

The seller offered a flat rate for US shipping, with no disclaimer in the auction about exclusions or possibility of increase. Under eBay's rules, they are obligated to either complete the transaction, or else allow you to back out amicably. If they try to press the issue, you will win (although you may still not receive the item).

If the seller had added a disclaimer, provided a more accurate table of rates to different regions, or used the shipping calculator for their auction, eBay would be on their side. But they foolishly did none of these things.

I would just say oh well and pay it. While the auction stated less, he did give a valid reason for the increase.

Back