PDA

View Full Version : "Joker" graphic novel by Brian Azzarello

Batty
10-16-2008, 11:45 PM
This looks like a must read. It's released on the 29th.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5383/joker11az0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2981/joker2el7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8454/joker3pp7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5578/joker4zx0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5320/joker5um9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3299/joker6jl9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

plasmid303
10-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Have it pre-ordered on Amazon. I can't wait. There have been reviews comparing Azzarello's Joker to Alan Moore's take on the character. I don't mean the persona, but the quality of writing.

Some people are going to comment on this book as a quick way for DC to cash in on the popularity and attention garnered by TDK and Ledger's Joker, but those detractor's should note that this story was greenlit several years ago and was completed well before TDK wowed audiences. The book's release date, well, that was certainly affected by the movie.

Customikey
10-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Abner looked like The Penguin. That's not who it's supposed to be, is it? The Penguin's name is Oswald....

Seditionary
10-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah, im really interested in this ever since I heard it was being made. bermejo is awesome. My avatar is a two face sketch of his.

plasmid303
10-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Abner looked like The Penguin. That's not who it's supposed to be, is it? The Penguin's name is Oswald....

I think it's just a nickname he invented on the spot. One of his "Joker-isms".

I love the cover. It's terrifying. It makes you wonder who he could possibly be smiling at.

Dally
10-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Awesome. I'll definitely pick this up. I've loved Batman graphic novels ever since I read the Dark Knight Returns.

darthCipan
10-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Looks great. The artwork is also topnotch. I wonder how does Batman looks like in the novel

CelticPredator
10-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Have it pre-ordered on Amazon. I can't wait. There have been reviews comparing Azzarello's Joker to Alan Moore's take on the character. I don't mean the persona, but the quality of writing.

Some people are going to comment on this book as a quick way for DC to cash in on the popularity and attention garnered by TDK and Ledger's Joker, but those detractor's should note that this story was greenlit several years ago and was completed well before TDK wowed audiences. The book's release date, well, that was certainly affected by the movie.

I wish it was. Could you imagine a Nolan written Joker tale? Based off Ledgers Joker? I never want to see that Joker on film again, but man, in comic form....:monkey5

DKDetective14
10-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Newsarama has some more preview pages up.
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=23383

Darkseed
10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Looks like a must have....

Buttmunch
10-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Looks really good. But what is up with the Riddler? He looks like a junkie.

Shai
10-17-2008, 10:10 AM
love the art.................

hairlesswookiee
10-17-2008, 10:10 AM
going to the LCS and ordering it now!!

Batty
10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I like how Harley Quinn looks. No giant mallet for her! :lol

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/476/joker106509417copycvsy8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

KobeLover
10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
How long before this comes out in paperback?

scubasteve
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM

It may have been greenlit "years ago," but the artist clearly took cues from Nolan's world (who took cues from Miller, Loeb, and Sale).

plasmid303
10-17-2008, 04:03 PM
It may have been greenlit "years ago," but the artist clearly took cues from Nolan's world (who took cues from Miller, Loeb, and Sale).

That's fairly obvious. You mean the real world feel and setting and Joker's Gossamer grin? Yes, because those cues are exclusive to Nolan, he owns those now.

Darth_Fatso
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Wow. The art looks really good and I like the artists interpritations of Croc, Harley and Riddler. Looks very interesting indeed.

hairlesswookiee
10-17-2008, 06:25 PM
this will be awesome. my shop was only able to order 10 of the hardbacks and i managed to talk the owner into letting me get his copy.

King Darkness
10-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Love the art. Havent picked up a comic in years, but this looks like it will be a fun read.

prettyscary
10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Looks ok, not very original. The look is just taken from the dark knight. Don't really like it.

RattleRat
10-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Seems like an "ultimate" version of the DC villains based on the way they are drawn.

neo27apg
10-17-2008, 11:55 PM
I haven't had a magazine in a while, but this looks interesting. I order mine from Amazon 13.94 and free two day shipping, pretty good deal

freestylex06x
10-18-2008, 12:43 AM
this looks like its going to be interesting, the joker's mannerisms from the preview pages don't seem to be exactly like the tdk one but the look seems to be similar. this joker seems to be more insane but at the same time more mellowed out

Vincent Shaw
10-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Just preordered it, canīt wait. More graphic novels on the way.

uscmhicks
10-18-2008, 11:55 AM
looks great to me. I don't really read many graphic novels but 'm gonna pre order this next week probably. Thanks for the link mate.

Darklord Dave
10-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Wonder if they're going to retcon in the scarred-look Joker into the comics world like they have the Donner Krypton with Superman?

IrishJedi
10-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Nah. I'm sure some books and artists will use it from time-to-time, but I don't think it will become the canon Joker look for the comics.

Speaking of Krypton, it's about time they go back to the whole retro sci-fi look, imho.

Ven
10-18-2008, 07:33 PM
harley quinn was a great addition to the comics.. gotta thank dini and tim for that.

D'oh!
10-19-2008, 02:41 AM
I had no idea this was coming out so thanks for the tip! It'll make a nice substitute for the lack of comic book novelization of the film.

Thrustmaster
10-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Looks ok, not very original. The look is just taken from the dark knight. Don't really like it.

damn wrong. the look from the joker of tdk is based on this graphic novel. dc just missed to release this before the movie came out.

nolan has the inspiration from lee and not lee from nolan!

Seditionary
10-19-2008, 10:33 PM
damn wrong. the look from the joker of tdk is based on this graphic novel. dc just missed to release this before the movie came out.

nolan has the inspiration from lee and not lee from nolan!

That's not entirely true. The story goes that Lee Bermejo did an interview with the website Batman on film shortly after begins came out. The guy that runs the site, Jet, asked Lee to talk about what he would do with the characters in a movie, and he referenced a darker version of each...like the joker with scars like the black dahlia murder that had effected him when he saw those pictures earlier in his life. This is at the start of this project with azzarello.

As far as nolan copying him...I don't think its entirely rocket science to come up with the joker having a scarred face to make him a permanent personality, instead of the permawhite skin and green hair. So maybe he or someone who works for him saw that interview on the internet, maybe not...both are very likely.

The only thing that is similar is the scarred smile, other wise its the same old joker. He didn't look at the dark knight and draw it from there, and nolan didn't look at this comic and create it from there. Ultimately, both characters will be very much the joker..thats where the gray areas begin of who copied who. it's simply aesthetic. I think Lee's joker might still have permawhite skin and green hair.

Lee bermejo has been working on this project for four years and has only really been able to dedicate his time to this and i think a monthly cover, and pretty much stopped working on anything else.

i think to assume he copied someone else after putting so much of his life into it is a bit unfair. Same goes for Nolan who made, in my eyes, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Now, when people see all the liberties both artist's took with the characters the ^^^^s really going to hit the fan.

JBElliott
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Seems like an "ultimate" version of the DC villains based on the way they are drawn.

I think that nails it. Azzarello's writing and Bermejo's art give that feel. It's clear that Nolan et al. based their Joker's look on Bermejo's art; he drew Joker looking this way a while back too:

http://panelblog.freeblog.hu/Files/pics_joker/bermejo_joker1.jpg

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for to look of Batman in Nolan's movies:

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/BATMAN_HUSH_RETURNS.jpg

It would be nice to see a series of figures based on Bermejo's art. He does a nice Superman too:

http://totorogo.dyndns.org/wp-content/uploads/LexLuthorManOfSteelCv1.jpg

(and not a bad Luthor).

cerealkeller
10-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Anyone go and buy this today? I did and am about 3/4 through it. It's great! Feels really tied into Nolan's universe. I would suggest you all go get it.

Buttmunch
10-29-2008, 08:47 PM
How much was it?

Seditionary
10-29-2008, 09:12 PM
How is two face in it??

cerealkeller
10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
It's 19.99 and Two-Face is in it, though not a lot. He is awesome in it, you kind of see how Bermejo draws him a lot more realistic, and why Nolan chose to go a little less with his. Realistic looks really....ishy. However Two-Face has more of the duality to him. The Joker whenever he's speaking to Two-Face asks which one is he talking to. Finished reading this and it really is great.

The books take on Croc and the Riddler are also very original and fit the "realistic" world great.

cerealkeller
10-29-2008, 09:40 PM
One more thing to add, The Joker is not funny in this. In fact, I found myself quite disturbed by him and the use of a narrator along for "the ride" with the Joker really adds to this. A minor spoiler:

The scene that really stands out is towards the end and the narrator, Johnny, is with the Joker and The joker decides to just break in to an apartment. Johnny asks him "Who lives here?" The joker replies "Who Cares!". Flash to an old couple in bed awakened by the noise. Next panel, Joker lying on the bed, covered in blood, along with the walls and the bed. He's laying on body parts with his razor blade resting on his chest. Johnny is just sitting on a chair, horrified by the man he's aligned himself with. Like I said, this book is violent as hell and goes a long way to make us not laugh with or at The Joker.

Buttmunch
10-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Sounds great and $20 is not a bad price either. I'll have to check this out soon, probably when the next Stand issue comes out.

Mesa
10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I saw it at my LCS today, but not really into DC. Now Marvel Apes, that's where it's at. :rolleyes:

plasmid303
10-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Mine shipped from Amazon, waiting in anticipation for it's arrival. Tomorrow, probably.

Batman's the best thing DC's got going for 'em.

tomstoyz
10-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Here are some more fresh PREVIEW PAGES:

http://tomztoyz.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-batman-graphic-novel-joker-by-brian.html#links

IrishJedi
10-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I have to wait for mine from Amazon. Then again, I only paid about $11 shipped for it.

cerealkeller
10-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Sounds great and $20 is not a bad price either. I'll have to check this out soon, probably when the next Stand issue comes out.

Buying those too! So great that Stephen King books are getting adapted. And Bermejo is doing the covers :rock

KobeLover
10-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Mine shipped from Amazon, waiting in anticipation for it's arrival. Tomorrow, probably.

Batman's the best thing DC's got going for 'em.

I was thinking of getting it on Amazon too, but it's currently listed as preorder and not available until Nov. 4th. How is yours shipping already?

Vincent Shaw
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
I was confused, too, mine will arrive tomorow, amazoon even confirmed me, weird.

plasmid303
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I was thinking of getting it on Amazon too, but it's currently listed as preorder and not available until Nov. 4th. How is yours shipping already?

Amazon confirmed mine as shipped, so it should be here any day now. If I have to wait til Nov. 4, it would suck, but not a big deal since I got it at the pre-order price. When I ordered, it was listed as an Oct. 29 release. :confused:

devilof76
10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
This looks killer. I've been waiting for the Joker to get art like this. Hope the softcover doesn't take too long.

JBElliott
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Two-Face is in it and is a major character. The Joker v. Tow-Face conflict is one of the driving plots.

drbrad1975
10-30-2008, 08:24 PM
It looks like I will be picking this one up...thanks

Vincent Shaw
10-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Mine came few hours ago, gave it a read, it was weird....pretty weird.
It was definetly not like the dark knight, it was again something quite original, it somehow felt like Joker + Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll and Batman didnīt show up until very very late but that is not really a problem.
Like the ign review I do however say it was rushed, the paintings are quite superb but the comic panels just seem rushed.

Darkseed
10-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Mine came few hours ago, gave it a read, it was weird....pretty weird.
It was definetly not like the dark knight, it was again something quite original, it somehow felt like Joker + Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll and Batman didnīt show up until very very late but that is not really a problem.
Like the ign review I do however say it was rushed, the paintings are quite superb but the comic panels just seem rushed.

Would you recommend a purchase or reserve from the library?

Vincent Shaw
11-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Well BUY the killing joke and reserve it, I mean I bought it for 15$ and compared to others well... for 15$ (12 euros or something like that) it was well worth it but letīs see.
If you want to see the Joker cry (yes, he cries) get it, if you do not want to see Batman until he shows up on 3 pages later, buy it.
Buy Arkham Asylum, buy Killing Joke but RENT THIS ONE.
Unlike A.A. you wonīt need to read it several times.
Here are the high points from Joker:
~He cries on the stomach of Harley
~He takes some kind of pill, X, cocaine, whatever
~Did I mention he is twisted and unlikeable
~He kills for the lulz
~All the cool sick ^^^^ like skinning a guy or others only last one panel
~The novel was definetly rushed, some panels are really painted, others just comic
~When he is seen, Batman looks awesome
~HIGH body count
~Jokers uses ANOTHER every day object to kill A BLACK GANGBANGER
~ It is pretty much Heath Ledger on drugs, only the wrong drugs
~He is definetly not as immortal in this one like in TDK, he also is not the domination of everything and did I mention he has not style, is unlikable and MAKES NO ^^^^ING SENSE
~Rent it
~Buy Arkham Asylum, Year one, dark kngiht returns, Killing Joke but this one is simply decent, not amazing, but decent.

Again to sum it up:
Itīs a story about the Joker, a less likeable Joker that makes less sense than ever, sure I do not want him to make sense but whatīs the point of killing 2 old people "for the lulz".
It was a weird read, try and rent it and give it your own opinion.

kazukijun
11-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Got mine, a very short read actually.
Story is ok for me, lots of violent scenes (well, its a graphic novel, its meant to be graphic)
Art Style is cool, especially for Harley :P
You can tell theres actually quite alot of TDK influence to the way characters are drawn.

My main gripe is too little of batman.....yeah well, its a story titled the Joker but a little more of batman cant hurt right?

yongkykun
11-04-2008, 10:48 AM
TDK influence? I thought that the artist had published some artwork with the same joker makeup as in this comic, way before TDK was even made. I could be wrong though...

kazukijun
11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
TDK influence? I thought that the artist had published some artwork with the same joker makeup as in this comic, way before TDK was even made. I could be wrong though...

hmm...Im not sure bout that, it could be the other way wrong too.

Sachiel
11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Yup, the artwork for this Joker turned up a while before TDK info. Most thought it was concept art at first. He also did an artwork of a Denzel Washington look-alike as Two-Face before we knew who was playing Harvey or if TF was even in the movie.

darren1228
11-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I'd say the artwork was definitely inspired by Nolan's "realistic" Batman universe. Take a look at Killer Croc for example, he looks nothing like the mutant croc depicted in the comics and animations. Don't think this approach would've been present had it not been for Nolan.

As for the Joker's look I think it could go either way. Azzarello said so himself in an interview that the Joker's look in this comic and in the TDK may have been independent creations.

hairlesswookiee
11-05-2008, 12:44 AM
I'd say the artwork was definitely inspired by Nolan's "realistic" Batman universe. Take a look at Killer Croc for example, he looks nothing like the mutant croc depicted in the comics and animations. Don't think this approach would've been present had it not been for Nolan.

As for the Joker's look I think it could go either way. Azzarello said so himself in an interview that the Joker's look in this comic and in the TDK may have been independent creations.

absolutely. that's why i enjoyed this Joker book so much. i prefer Nolan's "realistic" take on the Batman universe. he keeps many of the ideas as grounded as possible so that we're not totally in another world like xmen or hulk.

TwoFace
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
How does Two Face look like?

Seditionary
11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I wasn't to happy with the two face design myself. I felt like the ending was rushed, not necessarily anything else.

you can save at least ten dollars instead of going to a bookstore by using this site:
http://www.dcbservice.com/index.aspx

FDBMath
11-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I liked this story very much. The Joker was portrayed very creepy and even similar to the way he was protrayed in TDK. Getting past the fact that Two Face died at the end of TDK, this book almost feels like a sequel of sorts to TDK.

That being said, I don't know that I would include it in the top Joker stories (Killing Joke, Arkham Asylum, etc.).

darren1228
11-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I thought it was an ok read. Not really worth a purchase IMO though.
I loved the last line in the book....goes something like

"There will never be a cure for the Joker.........only a Batman"

BeakMan420
11-06-2008, 10:21 PM
This looks promising for sure.

cerealkeller
11-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I thought it was worthy of the $20. It's no Arkham Asylum or Killing Joke, but all around felt fresh and original.

legionsofgotham.org
11-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I still haven't picked this one up. I haven't decided if its worth the money...

FDBMath
11-10-2008, 10:15 PM
I got it from Amazon for $12 plus shipping. Much more reasonable than $20.

Darklord Dave
11-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I got this and read it quickly. The art is really great - the reinterpretations of the classic characters is inspired - especially Harley. All are more real world looking. The story is kind of interesting - but it's not completely fresh take on Joker.