The first EU story EVER! Maybe OT?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragacin

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hiyo,
I have looked far an wide for a reprint of this. I recall waaaaayyy back maybe in 1978 when Star Wars mania was in full throttle, that the magazine Famous Monsters of Filmland had a little story in it with events that took place immediately after the end of Star Wars. Vader's damaged TIE landed at the Yavin base and he demanded to be taken back to Imperial space and they took him. It was a story it seemed mostly about Vader. I seem to recall a bit about his personal residence on some planet and it was some kind of obsidian tower thing maybe? Anyway, anyone recall this story and where I could find it online???

I seem to recall a personal residence with the tower, but not the landing on Yavin moon. Perhaps it was a painting or a making of behind the scenes reference. Hhhmmmm.

Maybe they got a hold of an earlier draft of the movie and that part was edited out by the next version? Sounds cool though.. I wouldn't mind reading it.

A few months back someone posted a Star Wars website that had loads of unseen images and actual scans of Star Wars magazines from the 70's on.That site might have it..... I just can't remember the site! Can anyone help?

Didn't Vader regain control of his Tie Advanced at the end of ANH?

I read the crash on Vaal thing, that's not it. It wasn't in comic form it was just the story with some McQuarrie paintings and photos from the film. The photos and paintings were not of anything we haven't seen before, just standard stuff. This story was older than than anything else. It vastly predated Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which I think was the first EU.

Hmmm. Maybe you should write in to Star Wars Insider. Sounds like something those SW Gurus would have the answer to, or at least the means to get an answer.

I still remember this story from 34 years ago. I thought it was so great to have an additional story to build on Star Wars. I live in Europe now but I hope this magazine is somewhere in my family home in Canada. I still remember the first line "Darth Vader's TIE fighter spun crazily away from the still-exploding Death Star." - I'd love to know if anyone has a link to this story - I'd be curious who the author was and I'd love to read it again. I remember a part when Vader basically walks on to the Falcon and after a brief confrontation somehow is able to explain himself.

Published in 1978, this is the first EU story I ever read. I still have my original 1st edition copy I had way back then.

STNRu.jpg

[Nerd alert]He did, but it was likely damaged. And since it's a short range fighter, he wouldn't be able to get too far.[/Nerd alert]

Well the plain jane TIE's were short range fighters. I imagine the funky new design of Vader's ship had to carry some additional benefit. /bigger nerd alert.

According to Wookiepedia (cross referenced with the official site's Databanks)

The TIE Advanced x1 had better shielding and was faster than the TIE/ln. It was also capable of carrying secondary weapons such as cluster missiles. In addition, unlike most TIE models, the TIE Advanced x1 was equipped with a hyperdrive.

I would say that having a TIE Advanced equipped with Hyperdrive completely negates the whole "short range" fighter idea.

Back