Don Cheadle replaces Howard in "Iron Man" sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devil_666

Super Freak
Reaction score
Marvel had no comment, but sources close to the deal said negotiations with Howard fell through over financial differences, among other reasons.

https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081014/en_nm/us_ironman

I have mixed feelings about this. Don Cheadle imo is a damn good actor. Even crappy movies I've seen him in, I've still been impressed by HIS performance. It's hard to explain.. I think even if Don Cheadle had been in the first Iron Man I would've questioned the casting choice. He just doesn't strike me as a good fit for this role. Terrence Howard was perfect. iunno.. we'll see.

As long as he does not try to speak in an London accent( probably the worst I have ever heard, even beating the master of awful cockney accents, D ick Van Dyke ) he will fit the role fine.
I had to leave a space as the name D I C K gets blanked out, lol.

Last edited:
Sounds like Howard wanted too much money. It bugs me when they change actors midstream but I think Cheadle can do damn near anything. So I say it'll make a better Iron Man 2 but at the expense of continuity with the first one.

This makes me more interested in getting a Hot Toys Rhodes in his suit when the time comes.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl I know.. check my post in there linking back to THIS thread!!! lol.

I just posted this in the movie section. lol.
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35143

Basically.. actors get signed for a movie for a certain amount. It's impossible to tell if the movie will succeed or not.. so taking a moderate amount of money for a role is fair. But once the movie comes out IF it blows up, IF the merchandising blows up, IF the hype machine gets rolling.. and anticipation for the sequel is high.. THEN that intial small amount of money that was "fair" before isn't so "fair" anymore for a repeat performance. Especially since in the sequel, Terrance's character was supposedly going to play a bigger part with War Machine. I don't think it's out of line to expect more money on Terrence Howard's part especially since Marvel got fat off the first IM movie. Like I said.. initially when actors sign on for a project they have high expectations but there's no certainity. But now they have a solid idea of what to expect money wise when it comes to the sequel. The sequel will make just as much if not more than the original.. so why would people from the first film do a sequel for the exact same amount they got from the first film with that knowledge? Especially if they were going to have a MAJOR role in that sequel.

I'd miss Howard in the role. He definitely fit it just right. I don't know about Cheadle though, he'd probably do just fine but I still think Howard would be better.

Don Cheadle is the man, I'd much rather have him as Rhodes then Howard. I like Howard but Cheadle is a much stronger actor and ads anothers A list star to the cast.

Bummer, I thought Howard was perfect in the role. He has a great ability to play a calm appearing character, but you can tell if pushed hard enough he'll strike. Oh well, I'm sure Cheadle will do a good job... but would have been nice not to have a change between films.

Both Howard and Cheadle are great actors, I just like movie productions to keep the same cast for potential sequels.

However, I really liked Howard as Rhodes, and if that character is anything like the rumors have had it then Rhodes should be an integral character in IM 2.

For the sake of continuity this news flash sucks balls. I hate it when sequels run with different actors...it ruins the illusion. However Don Cheadle is the mac daddy and he'll own that part especially in War Machine mode. I'll admit i'm not a fan of Howard i just think he's too softly spoken. Probably struggle punching through a paper bag, let alone the Mandarin...

My biggest issue is that if you are going to recast why recast into a skinnier actor who looks nothing like the original...just because that worked in TDK with Maggie doesn't mean it has to continue....I always thought Taye Diggs with hair and a goatee would look a lot like Rhodey....

216773-133062-war-machine_super.jpg

My biggest issue is that if you are going to recast why recast into a skinnier actor who looks nothing like the original...just because that worked in TDK with Maggie doesn't mean it has to continue....I always thought Taye Diggs with hair and a goatee would look a lot like Rhodey....

216773-133062-war-machine_super.jpg

Maybe they realised Howard was too tubby for the suit?:monkey1 I heard they wanted George Foreman originally however he wanted his character to be renamed the Lean, Mean Grilling Machine!:lol

Seems to me that Cheadle appears too old next to Downey Jr. Their ages might be closer in real life, but Cheadle does seem to look a LOT older than Downey Jr.

Seems to me that Cheadle appears too old next to Downey Jr. Their ages might be closer in real life, but Cheadle does seem to look a LOT older than Downey Jr.

nothing a pound of makeup and hair dye can't fix. And regarding Cheadle being thinner than howard - Howard wasn't that big to begin with and Cheadle is a committed actor who could bulk up for the role if need be. RDJ hit the weights in prep for the first IM, I don't see why Cheadle couldn't do the same.

It all comes down to the acting style for me. Cheadle always comes across (in his films) a bit over-serious and morose for my liking. Dude needs to grow a personality.

Continuity is really important to me. I like Cheadle better for the role, and he is a better actor, but seeing Rhodes become a totally different person (in looks, voice, and overall character) will be a bit weird. Hopefully it works out. I wish Cheadle was in the first one!

Continuity is really important to me. I like Cheadle better for the role, and he is a better actor, but seeing Rhodes become a totally different person (in looks, voice, and overall character) will be a bit weird. Hopefully it works out. I wish Cheadle was in the first one!

I remember reading somewhere that Cheadle was the first choice to play Rhodes but was busy shooting another film at the time.

I guess HT has to throw out all their Terrence Howard reference material for that Jim Rhodes figure they were probably making to steal more of our money.

ohh man that sucks !!
Howard was such a great actor.
I hate when they do this.
just breaks the majic of the sequals.
Look what happed with TDK. Every one was back for it except Katie holmes.
the movie was incredible but was a bit off with that new chic.

I hope don can pull it off.

Back