PDA

View Full Version : Don Cheadle replaces Howard in "Iron Man" sequel

Devil_666
10-14-2008, 02:58 AM
Marvel had no comment, but sources close to the deal said negotiations with Howard fell through over financial differences, among other reasons.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081014/en_nm/us_ironman

I have mixed feelings about this. Don Cheadle imo is a damn good actor. Even crappy movies I've seen him in, I've still been impressed by HIS performance. It's hard to explain.. I think even if Don Cheadle had been in the first Iron Man I would've questioned the casting choice. He just doesn't strike me as a good fit for this role. Terrence Howard was perfect. iunno.. we'll see.

DinoLast
10-14-2008, 03:08 AM
As long as he does not try to speak in an London accent( probably the worst I have ever heard, even beating the master of awful cockney accents, D ick Van Dyke ) he will fit the role fine.
I had to leave a space as the name D I C K gets blanked out, lol.

gdb
10-14-2008, 03:09 AM
Sounds like Howard wanted too much money. It bugs me when they change actors midstream but I think Cheadle can do damn near anything. So I say it'll make a better Iron Man 2 but at the expense of continuity with the first one.

This makes me more interested in getting a Hot Toys Rhodes in his suit when the time comes.

The Ringer
10-14-2008, 03:10 AM
http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35143

Devil_666
10-14-2008, 03:21 AM

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl I know.. check my post in there linking back to THIS thread!!! lol.

I just posted this in the movie section. lol.

Basically.. actors get signed for a movie for a certain amount. It's impossible to tell if the movie will succeed or not.. so taking a moderate amount of money for a role is fair. But once the movie comes out IF it blows up, IF the merchandising blows up, IF the hype machine gets rolling.. and anticipation for the sequel is high.. THEN that intial small amount of money that was "fair" before isn't so "fair" anymore for a repeat performance. Especially since in the sequel, Terrance's character was supposedly going to play a bigger part with War Machine. I don't think it's out of line to expect more money on Terrence Howard's part especially since Marvel got fat off the first IM movie. Like I said.. initially when actors sign on for a project they have high expectations but there's no certainity. But now they have a solid idea of what to expect money wise when it comes to the sequel. The sequel will make just as much if not more than the original.. so why would people from the first film do a sequel for the exact same amount they got from the first film with that knowledge? Especially if they were going to have a MAJOR role in that sequel.

Cocoboloboy
10-14-2008, 06:35 AM
I'd miss Howard in the role. He definitely fit it just right. I don't know about Cheadle though, he'd probably do just fine but I still think Howard would be better.

The ill Jedi
10-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Don Cheadle is the man, I'd much rather have him as Rhodes then Howard. I like Howard but Cheadle is a much stronger actor and ads anothers A list star to the cast.

bagelsncheesey
10-14-2008, 07:08 AM
:lecture

Agreed, but Howard will be missed a bit.

Dr.Mirakle32
10-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Somebody at Marvel really likes CRASH...

galactiboy
10-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Bummer, I thought Howard was perfect in the role. He has a great ability to play a calm appearing character, but you can tell if pushed hard enough he'll strike. Oh well, I'm sure Cheadle will do a good job... but would have been nice not to have a change between films.

plasmid303
10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Both Howard and Cheadle are great actors, I just like movie productions to keep the same cast for potential sequels.

However, I really liked Howard as Rhodes, and if that character is anything like the rumors have had it then Rhodes should be an integral character in IM 2.

Wanderer
10-14-2008, 11:35 AM
For the sake of continuity this news flash sucks balls. I hate it when sequels run with different actors...it ruins the illusion. However Don Cheadle is the mac daddy and he'll own that part especially in War Machine mode. I'll admit i'm not a fan of Howard i just think he's too softly spoken. Probably struggle punching through a paper bag, let alone the Mandarin...

The Mike
10-14-2008, 11:37 AM
My biggest issue is that if you are going to recast why recast into a skinnier actor who looks nothing like the original...just because that worked in TDK with Maggie doesn't mean it has to continue....I always thought Taye Diggs with hair and a goatee would look a lot like Rhodey....

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/216773-133062-war-machine_super.jpg

Wanderer
10-14-2008, 11:45 AM
My biggest issue is that if you are going to recast why recast into a skinnier actor who looks nothing like the original...just because that worked in TDK with Maggie doesn't mean it has to continue....I always thought Taye Diggs with hair and a goatee would look a lot like Rhodey....

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/216773-133062-war-machine_super.jpg

Maybe they realised Howard was too tubby for the suit?:monkey1 I heard they wanted George Foreman originally however he wanted his character to be renamed the Lean, Mean Grilling Machine!:lol

Darth Caedus
10-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Seems to me that Cheadle appears too old next to Downey Jr. Their ages might be closer in real life, but Cheadle does seem to look a LOT older than Downey Jr.

plasmid303
10-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Seems to me that Cheadle appears too old next to Downey Jr. Their ages might be closer in real life, but Cheadle does seem to look a LOT older than Downey Jr.

nothing a pound of makeup and hair dye can't fix. And regarding Cheadle being thinner than howard - Howard wasn't that big to begin with and Cheadle is a committed actor who could bulk up for the role if need be. RDJ hit the weights in prep for the first IM, I don't see why Cheadle couldn't do the same.

It all comes down to the acting style for me. Cheadle always comes across (in his films) a bit over-serious and morose for my liking. Dude needs to grow a personality.

LChinoz
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Continuity is really important to me. I like Cheadle better for the role, and he is a better actor, but seeing Rhodes become a totally different person (in looks, voice, and overall character) will be a bit weird. Hopefully it works out. I wish Cheadle was in the first one!

plasmid303
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Continuity is really important to me. I like Cheadle better for the role, and he is a better actor, but seeing Rhodes become a totally different person (in looks, voice, and overall character) will be a bit weird. Hopefully it works out. I wish Cheadle was in the first one!

I remember reading somewhere that Cheadle was the first choice to play Rhodes but was busy shooting another film at the time.

Evrybdyluvsjosh
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I guess HT has to throw out all their Terrence Howard reference material for that Jim Rhodes figure they were probably making to steal more of our money.

SOLIDSNAKE
10-14-2008, 07:14 PM
ohh man that sucks !!
Howard was such a great actor.
I hate when they do this.
just breaks the majic of the sequals.
Look what happed with TDK. Every one was back for it except Katie holmes.
the movie was incredible but was a bit off with that new chic.

I hope don can pull it off.

Ven
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
IM2 < :lol

The ill Jedi
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
IM2 < :lol
God, you seriously are a joke. :rolleyes:

*gay voice* Dark Knight is the GREATEST MOVIE EVER - Venakin Skywalker

The Chaver
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Cheadle doesn't fit the part.

Ven
10-14-2008, 07:32 PM
:lol :rotfl and you obviously can't sleep at night because of me! hatttteeeerrrrr :wacky

MorgulTongue
10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
It's like recasting all but one of the main characters in mortal kombat 2. At the end of the first one you had all of the heroes saying bring it on, then at the beginning of the 2nd one its all new people except for Robin Shou. Ok, it won't be THAT bad! As I always yell to my wife when I see him on the tube: MY MAN! DON CHEADLE!

The ill Jedi
10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
:lol :rotfl and you obviously can't sleep at night because of me! hatttteeeerrrrr :wacky
No, it's just you're so much of a blinded fanboy that you can't enjoy both.

Ven
10-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I did enjoy both. and I even stated that in the ironman thread a while back. I never said TDK was the greastest movie ever. I liked ironman i just like TDK more. now drop it before you derail the thread even more.

The ill Jedi
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I did enjoy both. and I even stated that in the ironman thread a while back. I never said TDK was the greastest movie ever. I liked ironman i just like TDK more. now drop it before you derail the thread even more.
Okay, sorry. You suck and I am awesome, end of story. :D

Don Cheadle will come thru fellas.

plasmid303
10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Cheadle doesn't fit the part.

Why not? (my post is too short, this space is filler).

Mesa
10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Aw man, I like Terrence Howard, excellent actor. But so is Don Cheadle, but just not the same sort of actor. TH seems more laid back and "cooler," where as DC is much more serious.

Devil_666
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Why not?

imo.. because Cheadle (while a good actor) is kinda nerdy and not really the military type. He's not imposing, not physically and not in general. Terrance Howard at least looked like a Military dude. Again, I doubt any of us would care if Cheadle had been cast in the first film, and I'm sure he'll do a great job but it's just a weird casting choice.

I think Henry Simmons would've been a perfect fit. He was on "Shark" with James Woods:
http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_bv/henry-simmons-entertainment-200a032707.jpg

Or Morris Chestnut:
http://www.imnotobsessed.com/image/morishgotdche.jpg

hairlesswookiee
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Aw man, I like Terrence Howard, excellent actor. But so is Don Cheadle, but just not the same sort of actor. TH seems more laid back and "cooler," where as DC is much more serious.

exactly... one of my favorite scenes was the airplane scene when he was all serious, then after a few drinks he's hilarious. i hate recast characters, i think that's why i hated all the original batman movies.
~~this is also why i'm extremely hesitant about the Wolverine movie and Liev Schrieber as Sabretooth. i love that dude as an actor, but the pics i've seen of him he's....a little too chubby (:rolleyes:) for the character.

usswanker
10-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I really enjoy Howard as an actor and dang that sucks if hes not going to be back for the sequel!

Moonloop
10-14-2008, 09:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-pSP_vB24g

:rock Great news

Kratos
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Guess we will have too wait and see Cheadle's performance before we can judge
Though I think Howard should still be there

The Chaver
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Why not? (my post is too short, this space is filler).

I just like terrance as an actor and as the rhodes character.He really fit the part.I really wanted to see him in the suit.

It's sad a deal couldn't be worked out.

plasmid303
10-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Like I mentioned before, Cheadle was actually supposed to play Rhodes but became busy with another film. Marvel originally had him in mind for the character. Physical appearance doesn't matter much to me, it's all about the acting. Even if Cheadle doesn't look the part, he'll certainly play the part damn well.

In any case, I do wish they could keep Howard on board for continuity's sake. But the change isn't a deal breaker for me. It's not like WB recasted Batman/Bruce Wayne for the potential third Bat-movie.

screamingmetal
10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Although I like Don Cheadle, I much prefer Terrance Howard in the role especially since he already portrayed the character in the first Iron Man.
Stupid, greedy move on the producers part. They should've ponied up the money Howard was asking for.

Darth Caedus
10-15-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-pSP_vB24g

:rock Great news

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

YoNoSe
10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I wasn't crazy about Howard. His squeaky voice bugged me. He is a good actor, though, so I would never have complained but I'm not sorry to see him go. :wave

Khev
10-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't know 1990's Iron Man lore. So War Machine is a villain? If so, then yikes. Comic book movies DEMAND to have powerhouse bad guys. Hackman as Luthor, McKellen as Magneto, Nicholson and Ledger as the Joker, Dafoe as the Green Goblin, and Molina as Doc Ock. Howard has never had a lot of screen presence. Likewise for Cheadle. One of the reasons I think IM just couldn't measure up to TDK was because Bridges just wasn't a very memorable villain. I was hoping they'd rectify that with IM2. Oh well. It isn't a lost cause of course since we've been surprised before but at this stage I think Cheadle is a poor choice.

They needed to find a Denzel in "Training Day" mode. Too bad.

customizerwannabe
10-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I love Don but he's too small and not the hero type.

Khev
10-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes, sometimes its better to pick a less proficient actor who's the appropriate type. Its obviously a tricky balance but right now I think that Cheadle, while a great actor, just isn't right. Maybe they'll present the character in a way that makes him seem like a perfect fit, we'll just have to see.

I'm glad that for characters like Luke Skywalker, Indiana Jones, the Terminator, Frodo Baggins, the T-1000, Corporal Hicks, John McClane, and many others that they didn't simply get the person with the best "acting ability."

plasmid303
10-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Allow me to bring up the "Many didn't think fondly of Heath Ledger as Joker" case, circa 2006.

Cheadle too small? Weight-lifting and platform shoes. Cheadle looks too old? Makeup and hair-dye. I feel like smacking a dead horse here, but Marvel did originally want Cheadle as Rhodes.

YoNoSe
10-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Cheadle too small? Weight-lifting and platform shoes. Cheadle looks too old? Makeup and hair-dye. I feel like smacking a dead horse here, but Marvel did originally want Cheadle as Rhodes.

Not to mention the WAR MACHINE he will be encased in.
:D

Khev
10-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Allow me to bring up the "Many didn't think fondly of Heath Ledger as Joker" case, circa 2006.

I never had a problem with the Ledger announcement. Honestly I'm not sure there were many who did. Nevertheless I think its a bit of a canned response to mention one casting choice that may have surprised people that doesn't apply to every questionable pick from here on out.

Usually when a seemingly poor choice is made, it turns out to indeed be true. Every member of the Fantastic Four movies, from heroes to villains, sucked when they were announced and sucked even worse when the films came out.

I think most of us have a "wait and see" mentality due to the strength of the first film, its just far from an exciting announcement.

Booyah!
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
War Machine wasn't a villian. He filled in for Iron Man for a while and then became a seperate hero on his own.

Even though recasts suck, I say "bravo" to Marvel for not allowing themselves to be highjacked by overpayed, spoiled actors. I hope this serves as a lesson to other entertainers that their asses can be replaced in a heartbeat if they try to play hardball with Marvel Studios.

Khev
10-16-2008, 01:19 PM
War Machine wasn't a villian. He filled in for Iron Man for a while and then became a seperate hero on his own.

Oh good. Cheadle is quite good as a supporting character in an ensemble film, that much is a given. As long as he isn't the heavy he'll probably do fine.

plasmid303
10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Usually when a seemingly poor choice is made, it turns out to indeed be true. Every member of the Fantastic Four movies, from heroes to villains, sucked when they were announced and sucked even worse when the films came out.

I think most of us have a "wait and see" mentality due to the strength of the first film, its just far from an exciting announcement.

Yes, but Cheadle is far from a poor choice, and IM 2 isn't looked upon with disdain like the Fantastic Four movies were, even at the outset.

It just seemed that the complaints about Cheadle not looking the part was similar to comments about Ledger not being a fit for Joker (and of course there were those comparisons to the Nicholson Joker, even though the Nolan and Burton films aren't connected in continuity). My response was to those who claimed Cheadle too small for the role or not the type. Wait and see? Not without that extra disapproving comment thrown in.

Even though recasts suck, I say "bravo" to Marvel for not allowing themselves to be highjacked by overpayed, spoiled actors. I hope this serves as a lesson to other entertainers that their asses can be replaced in a heartbeat if they try to play hardball with Marvel Studios.

It's not that simple. It's not hard to assume, from the rumors and comments made by Marvel, that War Machine and Rhodes will have a significantly larger role in IM 2 (as a potential rivel/villain), so why is it not okay for an actor to want more pay for the increased work they'll be doing? I'm not going to judge on way or the other, mainly because the exact numbers and details haven't been divulged. Heck, it may just be another case of "greedy actor wants more," but we don't know the specifics.

hydrobud
10-17-2008, 03:56 AM
how does Howard give up a franchise like this ? what a knucklehead

Devil_666
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
how does Howard give up a franchise like this ? what a knucklehead

$$$

Doesn't matter how successful a franchise is, if you ain't getting any dough there's no point in sticking around to help other people get rich off your efforts.

Booyah!
10-17-2008, 09:52 AM
It's not that simple. It's not hard to assume, from the rumors and comments made by Marvel, that War Machine and Rhodes will have a significantly larger role in IM 2 (as a potential rivel/villain), so why is it not okay for an actor to want more pay for the increased work they'll be doing? I'm not going to judge on way or the other, mainly because the exact numbers and details haven't been divulged. Heck, it may just be another case of "greedy actor wants more," but we don't know the specifics.

It might have been his agent that talked him into holding out... "C'mon man, we can squeeze more cash out of Marvel!" Howard probably fired him after learning he got replaced. :rotfl

KitFisto
10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
$$$

Doesn't matter how successful a franchise is, if you ain't getting any dough there's no point in sticking around to help other people get rich off your efforts.

Maybe, but I doubt I make in several years what he was offered to make a movie.

plasmid303
10-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Then you should get into acting.

Devil_666
10-17-2008, 04:38 PM

That's because you're looking at it in the wrong context. Everyone does that when criticizing actors, etc. because you're looking at THEIR money and putting it in the context of what YOU make and how YOU live. That's wrong.

You have to remember: The more money you make the more expensive your lifestyle becomes. No one makes millions of dollars and still lives in an apartment making monthly payments on a 5+ yr. old car, etc. Unless they're ass clowns.
When you make money.. you buy more stuff. Expensive stuff. Your cost of living jumps.

Look at it like this: let's say you get a job with an upstart company and you agree to make like 40,000 a year. But after 1 year the company blows up, and now you see all the people who started the same time as you, that do the same job that you do are now making 5 - 10 times as much as you. And management/upper management is making even more. Then your supervisor informs you that the company wants to make you Shift Lead, except they either wanna pay you exactly what you're currently making to do this new job with more responsibility or even with the amount of money they're willing to raise your pay by you'll STILL be making less than everyone else who's doing less.

Are you seriously telling me you'd be cool with that!? That you wouldn't ask for more money!?

Alice
10-18-2008, 01:47 PM
The only thing I wanted from the HT IM license was a Terence Howard in War Machine armour. *cries*
________
Kitchen Measures (http://kitchenmeasures.com/)

Devil_666
10-18-2008, 03:21 PM
The only thing I wanted from the HT IM license was a Terence Howard in War Machine armour. *cries*

On the bright side you'll be able to get this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1684/cheadlemanyt1.jpg

Plus all the War Machine Mods of course.

:joy

The Ringer
10-18-2008, 03:22 PM
:lol:lol:lol

The Mike
10-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Terrence Howard Speaks Out on Rhodey Recast
Source: NPR, CHUD October 18, 2008

Actor Terrence Howard appeared in the NPR studio to talk about his debut album "Shine Through It" with Scott Simon for the Weekend Edition. Of course, Simon had to ask him about the recent news that Don Cheadle would be replacing him as James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the upcoming Marvel Studios sequel Iron Man 2.

That news (which has yet to be confirmed by Marvel Studios, who remains as mum as usual) took many fans of the summer's blockbuster hit by surprise since Howard played a large role in many fans' love for the movie, and just as many were excited to see Howard step into the iron suit of War Machine. After the announcement a few days ago, speculation ran rampant about why Howard wouldn't return, but on Simon's radio show, Howard said that he found out about the news the same way the rest of us did.

"It was the surprise of a lifetime," he said. "There was no explanation. [The contract] just...up and vanished. I read something in the trades implicating that it was about money or something, but apparently the contracts that we write and sign aren't worth the paper that they're printed on, sometimes. Promises aren't kept, and good faith negotiations aren't always held up."

You can hear the entire interview on NPR.org with the comments about Iron Man 2 starting at roughly 4 and a half minutes in.

On an equally interesting note, everyone knows that the Iron Man suit for the film was heavily influenced by Adi Granov's drawings and that he even pitched a couple of variations during storyboarding. Rumor circulating is that War Machine's suit will use Adi's drawing for Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #33 cover as a beginning template....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/IROMcover33F.jpg\

Notice no spot for an Arc Reactor? Meaning the suit would have to be powered some other way to work and would keep Iron Man's need of one (arc reactor) to Tony. Should be interesting to see where this goes.

Devil_666
10-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Damn that would look cool.

As far as Terrance.. something isn't being said. Not sure who is withholding that piece of info (Him or Marvel, etc.) that would make the situation make sense but some part of the puzzle is missing.

CelticPredator
10-18-2008, 06:21 PM
ADI? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

plasmid303
10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
ADI? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

What?

Anyway, I don't believe Howard is lying about his contract, but whatever is going on he and Marvel better kiss and make nice before IM2 production kicks off.

Devil_666
10-19-2008, 07:31 PM
From my understanding it's a done deal plasmid. Don Cheadle has already signed the dotted line.

CelticPredator
10-19-2008, 10:08 PM
What?

Anyway, I don't believe Howard is lying about his contract, but whatever is going on he and Marvel better kiss and make nice before IM2 production kicks off.

Not Stan Winston's studio...whatever its called now...ADI....different company. Good...but not AS good.

plasmid303
10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Not Stan Winston's studio...whatever its called now...ADI....different company. Good...but not AS good.

I think you misread that post. He mentioned Adi Granov, a popular comics artist known for his Iron Man designs. I didn't see any mention of ADI, the SFX studio.

From my understanding it's a done deal plasmid. Don Cheadle has already signed the dotted line.

That's fine, but who knows what may happen in the time before IM2 starts production. *crosses fingers*

CelticPredator
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Whew! Thanks for clearing that up.

Devil_666
10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Like I said.. some part is still missing from this story that would make it understandable. The way TH put it.. it was news to even HIM when he saw Don Cheadle was replacing him. Just to me, and this is pure speculation, but when you're replaced without even knowing about it, that means your former employer didn't much like you. Or it could be as simple as the studio wanting a higher profile actor to step in. Don Cheadle has much more acclaim and "star" power than Terrance Howard. So it could be just as simple as that. But some important part of the story isn't being told imo.

plasmid303
10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
That's why I said they should kiss and make up, the nature of the recast matters not. It's not some big mystery that needs solving.

Devil_666
10-19-2008, 11:52 PM
nah.. it'll never happen. Terrance Howard is not going to be in IM2.

The Mike
10-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Cheadle has signed, Howard is out not to mention I have a feeling it'd take a lot to get Howard back as he sounds as if he was seriously offended by whatever went on behind closed doors.

Chimera 1
10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Either way I guess the studio figured in a few years when someone asked who was that black guy who played in Iron Man people will say Don Cheadle even though it was Terrance Howard so to them it doesn't make a difference who plays the black guy :D:lol:rotfl

The Mike
11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Why Did Marvel Recast Rhodes in Iron Man 2?
Source:Entertainment Weekly November 1, 2008

Why did Marvel Studios recast Col. Jim Rhodes in Iron Man 2? The surprise announcement that Don Cheadle was taking over the role from Terrence Howard in the sequel (and now The Avengers) left many fans wondering what happened. Entertainment Weekly has an article possibly explaining how this came to be:

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')

You can read the full article here.

plasmid303
11-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm disappointed to hear that. I actually thought Howard was a cool, laid back type of guy. I still liked his performance in IM, but it's weird to think that it could have just been the result of countless reshoots.

scubasteve
11-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Love Cheadle. Glad to see Howard is off the ticket. He is too whiney for me.

The Mike
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Entertainment Weekly has another update to the ongoing debate on why Terrence Howard was cut out of Iron Man 2 (he wouldn't take a pay cut and wasn't that good at acting, apparently):

Hollywood insiders believe the exit stems from Terrence Howard's difficult behavior on the set of Iron Man. But those with intimate knowledge of the situation suggest a far more dramatic backstory: Howard was the first actor signed to the film and, on top of that, was the highest-paid. That's right: more than Gwyneth Paltrow. More than Jeff Bridges. More than Robert Downey Jr. And once the project fully came together, it was too late to renegotiate his deal. It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes. (Favreau could not be reached for comment, while Howard's publicist says: ''Terrence had a tremendous experience working on Iron Man.'')
As such, when Favreau and screenwriter Justin Theroux went to map out the sequel they found themselves minimizing Howard's story line. Once Marvel learned that Favreau was thinking of curtailing the role, the studio went to the actor's agents with a new and drastically reduced offer — a number that's similar to what supporting cast members were paid for the first movie. The agents, according to sources, were so taken aback by this new figure — estimated at somewhere between a 50 and 80 percent pay cut — that they questioned it. Why did they blanch? Multiple sources say that Marvel execs never told Howard's reps that they had issues with the star's on-set conduct. (Marvel would not comment for this story.)

So much drama. Who's at fault here? Should Terrence Howard have taken less pay and done a better job acting? Should Marvel have at least told him before they recast his role? If I'm having a party, should I invite them both and risk them getting into an awkward argument when Marvel shows up with Don Cheadle? Is it possible Marvel found out that Terrence Howard is a skeleton wearing a magical flesh suit to blend in with the general population until he can ready his skeleton army? These are the questions we must answer before Iron Man 2 comes out.

The Mike
11-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Robert Downey Jr. on Cheadle/Howard Switch
Following up on the Terrence Howard / Don Cheadle switcharoo for the upcoming Iron Man 2 film, MTV was able to sit down with Tony Starks, Robert Downey Jr., himself to discuss his feelings on the topic.

When asked if he had anything to do with the Howard/Cheadle switch, Downey immediately responded, “I had nothing to do with that decision. I love Terrence very very much. That’s all I’ll say because I haven’t talked to him yet.”

Furthermore, the “Iron Man” star makes it clear that he will not play favorites between the two equally talented actors, so if you’re looking for a juicy “good riddance” quote from Downey (who’s definitely not shy when it comes to speaking his mind), you won’t find it here.

“I’ve always admired Don [Cheadle],” said Downey. “It’s one of those situations where I still don’t quite know what happened or why. Here’s what happens too: things happen and you wind up commenting on them before you’ve actually talked to the people and it’s in poor taste.”

Sounds like Robert isn't going to take sides, and is interested in protecting his burgeoning franchise. He adds…

“I think the important thing with the ‘Iron Man’ franchise is to not do too much too soon and to make sure we don’t piss off the public that put us in the position we’re in,” said Downey. “We’ve just got to keep rolling up our sleeves higher and further up the elbow. If we show up and we’re in the right head space and our heart’s in the right spot and we really think about the audience at every turn and we don’t try to stamp our hipness onto anything. It’s very interactive.”

Kratos
11-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Love Cheadle. Glad to see Howard is off the ticket. He is too whiney for me.

Yea I think the Same too
I think Howard's acting is all "Stale" :lol

Devil_666
11-09-2008, 02:38 AM
when you're replaced without even knowing about it, that means your former employer didn't much like you.

It didn't help that, according to one source, Favreau and his producers were ultimately unhappy with Howard's performance, and spent a lot of time cutting and reshooting his scenes.

That's what I was thinking. I had a feeling SOMETHING important was missing and not being said initially that was preventing this situation from making sense. Now for me atleast, it makes sense.

Promising Galahad
11-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I rather liked Terrence Howard's performance in "Iron Man". He played it cool when most actors would have played the role with a cliched fake machismo. I don't know if that was his decision, though, or the director's.

I am almost completely ignorant of Don Cheadle's work so my only complaint with his casting in the sequel is that he wasn't in the first film to begin with. The actors, unlike Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal, don't look much at all like each other.

I think audience adjustment is doable, as long as Cheadle can win them over with his performance, but the film may need one of Stark's trademark quips to introduce Cheadle (replacing Howard) as Rhodes. Something like:

Tony Stark: "You get a hair cut? You look different."

pjunk
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Posted: March 09, 2009, 2:07 PM by Ben Kaplan
economy, Robert Downey Jr, mickey rourke, Iron man
According to a report in Variety, Mickey Rourke may be tapped to play either Crimson Dynamo or Whiplash in a new Iron Man film. The franchise, already a landing spot for talented Hollywood miscreants like Robert Downey, Jr., would certainly get a shot in the arm from the very in-demand Oscar-nominated star of The Wrestler.

The film has already been besieged with problems, with Terrence Howard dropping out, and reports have flared-up that Rourke was offered $250,000, barely enough to buy booties for his beloved dogs. Of course, there's a recession and everyone is feeling the pinch. But a franchise that earned $135-million in revenue, could surely cough up a bit more green for an actor currently enjoying a worldwide love fest.

We'd love to see Rourke battle Robert Downey, Jr. in the new film. They both survived dangerous dalliances with alcohol and drugs. Lets see how they cope with the Hollywood downturn.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2009/03/09/249690.aspx

just came across this and thought you might be interested. sorry if it has been previously posted