Wizard Magazine's Ultimate Batman Cowl Pics..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVIDYR1

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone. This is really my first subject post if you dont consider my introduction thread so let me apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I like to tell everyone that sure, we're pretty handy with the costume stuff but with computers and the internet...eh, not so much.

Years ago Wizard magazine published a series of reinvented superheroes called the Ultimates...I'm sure some of you already know what I'm talking about but for those who dont, Batman was one of them and he had a pretty cool costume to boot!

UltimateBatman.jpg

The cowl has this cool face plate mounted onto it that really gives that 'Urban Assault' look to it and I thought it would be a cool cowl to make. So here are some WIP pics...

Sculpture done in Chavant NSP soft green clay and on a lifecast.

3.jpg

Front.jpg

Untitled-5-1.jpg

Untitled-1-1.jpg

The cowl is then cast in silicone and finished with metallic powder flakes. The basic 'hood' part is finished with black flocking. It conveys the illusion of fabric with removable metal elements to the cowl. Pretty neat over all effect.

Without camera flash..

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

With camera flash..

Untitled-5.jpg

Over the years I've done a lot of Batman work but this one is 'probably' my favorite.

Something a little 'out of the box' so I hope you guys dig it. If not....please go easy on me. :eek:

David

BADASS! Very unique and cool looking. I love the flocked look to the cowl, and that metal front piece looks intimidating... I wouldn't want a headbutt from THAT Batman. :lol

Awesome! I've never seen that interpretation of Bats before. It looks fantastic.:rock

How durable is that flocking? Will it come off with handling?

Fantastic sculpt! My only quibble is that I prefer longer ears on my Bats; yours is incredibly faithful to the drawing, however.

Wow...things move fast around here. :) Thanks everyone for the kind words. Mucho' Appreciato'!

How durable is that flocking? Will it come off with handling?

Very durable. It's chemically fused to the silicone so it wont separate. You can handle the cowl and stretch it on without any fear of the flocking separating from the cowl. If you stretch the cowl to it's limit...which is quite a bit...then the stretching silicone will start to separate the flocking from itself creating a 'vein' like look but when you let it got back to it's original shape the gaps disappear. I guess in that respect you could damage the flocking but otherwise...wearing it, displaying it and that sort of 'abuse' is totally fine. It's not latex or foam latex. Silicone, platinum silicone's for that matter have fantastic tear strength and can easily last a lifetime.

Thanks again everyone. You guys/gals rock!

David

hi daveyr1 have you ever considered doing tutorials for some of your stuff im really new to silicone modeling and could realy use some tips and your work as ive previously mentioned is off the chain.

hi daveyr1 have you ever considered doing tutorials for some of your stuff im really new to silicone modeling and could realy use some tips and your work as ive previously mentioned is off the chain.

Holy necropost Batman!??!

not one, but THREE!! Join us next week to see more newbs resurrecting dead, old threads!

great job on that cowl btw. look awesome.

and i never knew there was an ultimate batman, i thought only the marvel universe got ultimate versions of their characters.

Holy Blast from the past Batman!!!
I forgot this was even posted...lol.

That cowl is my favorite of all the Batman cowls I've ever done, and years ago I sculpted quite a few different designs. :)

As far as tutorials go, there's a lot more readily available on the net now a days compared to when I myself first started doing this sort of thing back in 1984.
That cowl above was a personal project done at least 6 years ago, if not more.
Today, our entire focus at Universal Designs is Leather Outerwear.

You can see more at www.udreplicas.com
We don't produce or sell any type of masks, cowls or headgear as all our licenses currently are for leather outerwear. This means jackets, pants, boots and gloves. Belts and backpacks in some cases depending on the studio in question.
Replica outerwear/Motorcycle suits. :)

David

This is a great cowl! :) Thanks for sharing this to the community..
Although I will admit that it's the first time ever that I saw Bats in that cowl. I may have to find out more about the 'Ultimates'..

:rock :duff

Back