Collector Product Reviews!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty

just me
Reaction score
With all the new product flooding in, I am excited to see a lot of you putting our newly launched Product Review feature to good use. It debuted in the newsletter last week! If you missed the explanation, here it is:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=090905reviews

(Please note that all reviews submitted will be moderated for content.)

Last edited:
SideshowDusty said:
With all the new product flooding in, I was hoping to see a lot of you putting our newly launched Product Review feature to good use. It debuted in the newsletter last week! If you missed the explanation, here it is:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=090905reviews

It's very simple, much like the Amazon.com reviewing method. Express your opinions on product for all SideshowCollectibles.com visitors to see! :rock (Please note that the reviews will be moderated, so trollish behaviour and horrible reviews trashing the product just for fun will not be tolerated, not that any of you would stoop to that level, but of course it must be said! :D)

Pass it on to the other boards you guys post on! We'd love to see a lot of participation, which could lead to increasingly new and exciting interactive features on the Sideshow site :banana

Already done a couple Dusty. :banana

I have a little complaint about this Dusty. I reviewed six or seven of the Buffy figures and the only one that wasn't approved was the Willow figure which I gave 3 stars and made comments about the face not coming out good and being pale. I went on to say how great the outfit was and the accessories. I don't call that an overly critical review at all yet it wasn't approved. All the other figures which I gave 4-5 stars were approved.

I can understand Sideshow not wanting people just coming and bashing their products but that isn't what I did. I gave a very fair review of the product and what I thought worked and didn't work. Yes, trolls are bad but I am a legitimate customer who owns every figure and it bothers me that, from what I can see, Sideshow will only show the reviews that highly praise the figures.

Having these reviews on the sales page makes them sales tools and I really can't see them adding a review that isn't glowing.

The Pinto salesman doesn't tell his customers "by the way, it explodes on impact..."
:horror

I agree with Dave. That's what message boards are for. Sideshow reviews are for "golly gee this is the greatest thing since sliced bread" reviews. I get it and don't have a problem with it. Sideshow is a business after all.

Darklord Dave said:
Having these reviews on the sales page makes them sales tools and I really can't see them adding a review that isn't glowing.

The Pinto salesman doesn't tell his customers "by the way, it explodes on impact..."
:horror
I hope that isn't what they are doing. If so, then why even offer this feature? I can understand weeding out the really poorly done ones who rant stupidly, but if a critical review is done and gives and honest well thought out opinion, I should hope that it wouldn't be dismissed just because it was critical of the product.

I am very positive on the products they deliver but there is always something that someone isn't going to be happy about, and if you are going to offer a true review, or disquise something as an upfront review, you should be prepared to take a bit of criticism.

and if you are going to offer a true review, or disquise something as an upfront review, you should be prepared to take a bit of criticism.

Think of the sales page of an item as a movie poster or a book jacket. Do you expect the studio or publisher to put anything less than positive on a poster or book jacket? They (posters, book jackets) are sales tools and that's the point of including reviews on them.

Darklord Dave said:
Think of the sales page of an item as a movie poster or a book jacket. Do you expect the studio or publisher to put anything less than positive on a poster or book jacket? They (posters, book jackets) are sales tools and that's the point of including reviews on them.
I don't but to announce it as being similar to Amazon's reviews as dusty did:

It's very simple, much like the Amazon.com reviewing method. Express your opinions on product for all SideshowCollectibles.com visitors to see! :rock (Please note that the reviews will be moderated, so trollish behaviour and horrible reviews trashing the product just for fun will not be tolerated
If they are looking for positive quotes to throw up on the site to promote the product then ask for that kind of interaction. But if you are asking people to submit true reviews, and to ask others around the web to do so also, it shouldn't only show the positives.
I can understand why they wouldn't want to, but based on the way that they announced this feature I would have expected allowance of more balanced reviews.
Of course we haven't heard back from Dusty yet so, I am not sure that this is what they are doing. I am just saying I hope they aren't going to only keep the glowing positive reviews. I wouldn't want to just read that if I were looking for true reviews of a product. I would view it as nothing more than marketing fluff and go to a real review site for some unbiased information.

This is probably a bad idea - just my opinion.

If they want glowing, movie poster quotes, then they need to do what they do - pull said quotes from unsolicited comments from emails, postings and reviews at other sites. Then you're getting real opinions, but you get to pick the ones you are publishing.

In this case, if you ask people to give you your opinion, but censor out any that aren't glowing, it will have negative repercussions with customers, and create a weak reputation for the organization. When you ask people for input, you have to accept the good with the bad (as long as it's done in a constructive and appropriate manner), or you end up appearing like you're unwilling to hear it.

I think customer testemonials would be a great idea - little snippets on the page for a product saying "When I bought the premium format Seven of Nine, I grew back my hair! - Bob from Chicago" because they are unsolicited. But when you solicit for opinions and call them 'reviews', you better be ready to post the negative along with the positive.

Michael
MWC

I agree, Sideshow need to take the stick with the praise. Sure it's a selling tool, but being biased in what goes on and what doesn't will p*ss off:

A- the reviewer.

B- the customer that buys the product, that indeed finds a flaw no one has bothered to comment on before.

In both cases you end up losing the support of a customer.

Edit: Can see Mr MC already covered my points. :D Should read through all replies before replying.

I have to say I agree with Michael. This is one feature I think SS would be much better without. The comparison has been made to reviews on Amazon.com. I have read very scathing reviews of certain products on amazon.com just the same as positive reviews. I think the difference in companies is important here too. Amazon, basically an online discounter, sells a huge variety of products for other companies, whereas SS is selling their items direct to the customer and thus it is much more critical to present items in a positive light.

I for one don't plan to use the feature. I figure I'll keep my comments confined to the boards.

Personally, I don't expect nor go to Sideshow's (or any other manufacturers) website looking for critical reviews of their products and it doesn't bother me if they censor them out. That's why I join message boards.

I'd say this has very little to do with the people READING the reviews. It has everything to do with the people PROVIDING the reviews. It's going to be what they think - and what they communicate - when reviews are not printed, especially when the example of Amazon is used. When they provide honest reviews, and are not printed, they'll tend to make others aware of that, and it could end up making Sideshow appear badly.

We'll have to see how this all turns out of course - perhaps Sideshow will go the Amazon route, and show those that are less favorable. I'm doubting it though, and I just think there might have been better ways (that wouldn't have been an issue) to get positive product testomonials on the pages.

Michael
MWC

Hmmm, many good points have been brought up here today. I think my words may have been misconstrued a tiny bit when I mentioned Amazon - by doing that, I just was pointing out that the way of posting and entering reviews was simple, pretty much the same as how they have it set up over there. The main difference, which some have pointed out, is that we are the manufacturer (unlike a place such as Amazon or Barnes and Noble or whatever), and with that distinction comes many complications, therefore any comments posted to SideshowCollectibles.com are moderated for content. (I'll edit the original post a bit so hopefully it will be clearer - in fact, I'll just remove that part all together so it won't confuse anyone else :D)

As for the actual moderating of reviews, I'm not in charge of that and have no idea what people are writing until it gets posted on the site - I only noticed that not many reviews were popping up and wondered if maybe people had missed the announcement in the last newsletter (I always get in trouble while trying to be helpful :p) - so I can't give you any definitive answers regarding that aspect. But I can 100% guarantee that I will pass on all your comments to those in the know! :)

Last edited:
Dusty, I didn't want to imply that I was complaining to you. Just have reservations about this feature.

I have definitely been impressed with how much you and some of the other staff participate in the discussions here. It really is very welcome and we definitely look forward to your responses even when you may not know the answer but at least tell us that much. :clap

I have given 3 reviews.

I have given reviews to 3 products at Sideshow's website, Dusty. Reviewing 1/4 scale London after Midnight, Phantom of the Opera and Wolfman. I have only had one minor mishap with a Sideshow product. My 1/4 scale Frankenstein had his "bird" finger broke off. This wasn't Sideshow's fault anyway, and the dealer from whom I purchased it gave me a replacement same day no questions asked.

I do not understand why anyone would leave a negative review of a Sideshow product anyway. If they bought it, they must have liked it. If they like it, they want others to have one as well. Have you actually had someone post something like "Sideshow produces sub-par bantha pooo doo and charges too much for it"? If so, perhaps they never purchased the product at all and are just...well, insane, deranged,a jerk, or....a competitor.

I have less than glowing reviews on Sideshow product on occasion - they aren't perfect of course. Then again, as someone who writes over 200 reviews every year, I *might* be an exception.

But people buy product not just because it's perfect, but because it's from a license or line they love. Buffy collectors may buy every 12" figure Sideshow produces, but it's fairly unlikely that Faith would get many glowing reviews. As a Simpsons fan, I bought every figure and playset Playmates produced, but there were plenty that got below average ratings. Buying something collectible doesn't mean you won't find problems with it - there are other factors that drive collectors to buy.

Michael
MWC

Exactly Michael. I have all of the Buffy figs except the very 1st Buffy and I definitely wouldn't give them all raving reviews. And even some of the other statues and PF I have I would have to make criticisms about even though I bought them. Just because I plan on keeping a figure doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on how the figure could have been done better.

In the same sense, I know several who have been so disappointed with a figure that they did send it back and would definitely want to caution someone before they made the same mistake.

Anton Phibes said:
I do not understand why anyone would leave a negative review of a Sideshow product anyway. If they bought it, they must have liked it. If they like it, they want others to have one as well. Have you actually had someone post something like "Sideshow produces sub-par bantha pooo doo and charges too much for it"? If so, perhaps they never purchased the product at all and are just...well, insane, deranged,a jerk, or....a competitor.

Just want to defend myself here a bit (even though I really don't understand why I should have too). The reviews let you pick between 1-5 stars.
When I bought Willow,the prototype shown was drastically different than what was actually sold. The review I left was a "3 star" review so it was hardly bashing the product. I gave reasons why I felt it deserved three stars, some good and some bad, but hardly bashing. I also reviewed PG Buffy and actually had more negative things to say about that figure but because I like that one better I gave it "4 stars".

I've left seven reviews so far and only had the one not okayed - I was planning on leaving one for each of the remaining figures I own. I actually own multiples of each figure because I buy for myself and my daughters. I am a huge Sideshow supporter and am usually the first to defend the product to those who I feel are being overly critical.

And here is why I was willing to leave reviews. I wanted to help sell the product. A lot of people initially judge the figure on the first prototypes shown and the opinions of people on BBoards/forums. There are message boards where people are overly critical and have nothing nice to say. I own all these figures I am reviewing so I know what they really look like. So if I review every single one of the Buffy figures I own and only have one or two that I gave less than 4 stars to people will trust that I am an honest reviewer and not someone just there to praise Sideshow. I find that a lot of the figures look even better in real life and am happy to tell that to people to help someone on the fence. I posted a few of my Prophecy Girl Buffy pictures on other sites and had people tell me that they are going to buy it now because of what I said and the photos I provided. This is a figure that was heavily bashed on another board.

So if every single review posted says basically the same thing "Great Figure!", "Wonderful", "Best One Yet", people are more likely to just think that these are just "reviews" provided by the company selling the product. If they read reviews from people who actually own the figures, love them but still find a flaw here and there, they are getting an actual picture of what they are getting and will be more happy with it if they chose to buy it rather than be upset when they get something they aren't expecting.

Dusty, thanks for answering my questions and passing mine and other peoples thoughts on this on to Sideshow.

Back