Modifying Your Hot Toys TDK Suit Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaulFan

King of the Monsters
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Since there's a fair number of folks looking into modifying this figure significantly, and some looking just to have fun posting about their figure, I thought it'd be better to have a thread for the discussion of the modifications and leave the photo thread to images and general talk about the figure.

new widening technique from toy-world:
010.jpg

009.jpg

TDKM.jpg

(sorry if it's been shared already)

Try to modify neck area. It Easy to do and look better.
batmod02by8.jpg

I use sand paper.
batmod01fh8.jpg

im bumping this thread back up, so other people can see it.

Thought I would throw in what I did.

100_1346_640x480.jpg

This is the best place to separate to allow removal of the chest plate I think.
100_1347_640x480.jpg

100_1349_640x480.jpg

Where you can see the two separate pieces here, there is some strong glue around most of the center.
100_1351_640x480.jpg

I sanded a lot of the chest down, a tiny bit of the upper rib, (hardly noticeable), and the clavicle area of the torso to allow more neck movement.

Basically you have to 'break' the glue area on the chest plate where I have pictured to allow its removal. Then, in the pic where you can see the separate rubber pieces, you have to slowly pull apart and as you go make tiny snips with scissors to separate the two. They are held by strong glue.

I then rolled the top half up and covered the rubber parts so they did not get covered in dust. Then, I proceeded to manually sand the pectorals away and slightly taper the side of the torso. Also sanded away the clavicle area on the torso. Could have used a dremel, but I was too cheap to buy one! When done I rolled the suit back down, stretched and re-glued it and held it in place with an elastic band as it dried. And voila.

Oh, I sanded most of his chest away. :woot:

This neck mod too.
100_1334_640x480.jpg

100_1336_640x480.jpg

This is the end result:
100_1370_640x480.jpg

Will have to do the head mod next!

100_1370_640x480.jpg

Awesome. Quick question: Is the cape square cut at the bottom or does it have the traditional Batman cut (like the 89 Batman Movie)?

Yeah that's what I'd call "Traditional" as opposed to the BB, square cut cape. Looks cool. Is it like that in TDK cuz I couldn't even tell!?

it's like it is in the first movie, remember him flying around in HK?

though it's cool HT put a different cape since he's only really gliding around one time in the movie.

it's like it is in the first movie, remember him flying around in HK?

though it's cool HT put a different cape since he's only really gliding around one time in the movie.

Oh yeah. :duh Forgot about that. lol..

batmod05nz5.jpg

:banana:banana:banana

Awesome. The thing I've noticed is when you do the neck Mod it makes widening the head unneccesary imo. If you look at the pics Agen posted just that slight bend fattens the head enough to look perfect. It also widens the nose to look like the promo pics of the TDK cowl. Funny how a small difference can dramatically change the overall look of something. Good work Agen!!!

Oh yeah. :duh Forgot about that. lol..

batmod05nz5.jpg

:banana:banana:banana

Awesome. The thing I've noticed is when you do the neck Mod it makes widening the head unneccesary imo. If you look at the pics Agen posted just that slight bend fattens the head enough to look perfect. It also widens the nose to look like the promo pics of the TDK cowl. Funny how a small difference can dramatically change the overall look of something. Good work Agen!!!

Are you Bluefley on deviantart.com?

Thought I would throw in what I did.

100_1346_640x480.jpg

This is the best place to separate to allow removal of the chest plate I think.
100_1347_640x480.jpg

100_1349_640x480.jpg

Where you can see the two separate pieces here, there is some strong glue around most of the center.
100_1351_640x480.jpg

I sanded a lot of the chest down, a tiny bit of the upper rib, (hardly noticeable), and the clavicle area of the torso to allow more neck movement.

Basically you have to 'break' the glue area on the chest plate where I have pictured to allow its removal. Then, in the pic where you can see the separate rubber pieces, you have to slowly pull apart and as you go make tiny snips with scissors to separate the two. They are held by strong glue.

I then rolled the top half up and covered the rubber parts so they did not get covered in dust. Then, I proceeded to manually sand the pectorals away and slightly taper the side of the torso. Also sanded away the clavicle area on the torso. Could have used a dremel, but I was too cheap to buy one! When done I rolled the suit back down, stretched and re-glued it and held it in place with an elastic band as it dried. And voila.

Oh, I sanded most of his chest away. :woot:

This is the end result:
100_1370_640x480.jpg

Will have to do the head mod next!

his body still has the same V-shape, so I do not see what difference your mods have made....:rolleyes:
+ you forgot to post pictures of your modified body itself...

his body still has the same V-shape, so I do not see what difference your mods have made....:rolleyes:
+ you forgot to post pictures of your modified body itself...

My mods have made the chest fit lower and closer to the body.

I did not forget at all, I just didn't bother. People aren't stupid: I sanded the chest down to practically nothing, I'm sure you can imagine what that looks like can't you? :rolleyes:

You're TDK Bats obviously looks better.

My mods have made the chest fit lower and closer to the body.

I did not forget at all, I just didn't bother. People aren't stupid: I sanded the chest down to practically nothing, I'm sure you can imagine what that looks like can't you? :rolleyes:

You're TDK Bats obviously looks better.

ow okay, that is nice...but it is a pitty you did not make some pictures of the body so we see how much of the chest you have flattenend.
+ could you make a shot from the side, that would make more sense to show if you say you have made its chest flatter.

and no, when modifiying a 160-200 dollar figure, I cannot use imagination in the proces, pictures of the job are always welcome.

I already got the original costume version and have modified that one based on explanation and pictures on this board :) (for the cape + clips) pictures will follow.
And I am still not 100% convinced of this new TDK figure, but the modifications give me some hope that I can make it more accurate yess...but before I even think of buying it I wait for good pictures and explanations on this fine board :)

so once again: could you make some side-shots of your modified TDK, so that we can see how flat the chest is made now?

thank you!

I modded my batman,

I thort he looked a bit lyk he had a chicken breast and was just looked outta proportion.

I removed all armour and had to use a stanley knife to carefully sever the rubber joining the upper and lower torso.

I then completely removed all rubber wear and sanded away most of the outlying breast/pectoral area and also the side obliques(to make him look not so wide); upper abdominals and also the 'pot' belly which mine seemed to have; giving him a flatter, less fatter look.

the head/neck mod was made underneath the head involving sanding and cutting a slight dip in the front to allow his head and chin to come down more.

I found two screws of a small size and screwed both simultaneously in each side of the rubber guide in the core of the head piece which allowed his head to look a bit wider like in real life....

A few minor; improvements which makes this fig look even better than what it already is!!! my pix on cam look remarkably crap tho... I will post them soon

ow okay, that is nice...but it is a pitty you did not make some pictures of the body so we see how much of the chest you have flattenend.
+ could you make a shot from the side, that would make more sense to show if you say you have made its chest flatter.

and no, when modifiying a 160-200 dollar figure, I cannot use imagination in the proces, pictures of the job are always welcome.

I already got the original costume version and have modified that one based on explanation and pictures on this board :) (for the cape + clips) pictures will follow.
And I am still not 100% convinced of this new TDK figure, but the modifications give me some hope that I can make it more accurate yess...but before I even think of buying it I wait for good pictures and explanations on this fine board :)

so once again: could you make some side-shots of your modified TDK, so that we can see how flat the chest is made now?

thank you!

dude, you have a real sucky manner to you, you know that? nice to see you're as polite here as you are at medi-world. people here are doing us a favour by posting any pics of their mods at all. so for you to be rude about people's work and demanding things without courtesy or etiquette, i just don't understand it.

hey SE, still marvelling at the things you've done. looks incredible. has the articulation changed at all after the gluing? do you get any bunching? how much do you want to do mine for me the same as yours? i'm deadly why-so-serious!

dude, you have a real sucky manner to you, you know that? nice to see you're as polite here as you are at medi-world. people here are doing us a favour by posting any pics of their mods at all. so for you to be rude about people's work and demanding things without courtesy or etiquette, i just don't understand it.

hey SE, still marvelling at the things you've done. looks incredible. has the articulation changed at all after the gluing? do you get any bunching? how much do you want to do mine for me the same as yours? i'm deadly why-so-serious!

Give the lad a break! Its coz he's French!:lol

Cheers buddy, I know I can always rely on you. Plus, glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's extremely rude!

The articulation has not changed, as I merely glued the parts that were prior glued. Hmmm, I could do it for free for you ES, of course, but it is risky, would not want to jeapordize your fig though. If you REALLY want him done though, then cool just give us a shout. Plus, don't think I could do him in one day, almost gave myself an RSI with all the sanding! (Oh, I mean 'sanding that I SAY I did') :rolleyes:

Snake what kind of glue did you use? I'm afraid of having the glue eat away at the rubber. Is their a specific type of glue to use or is super glue alright? Thanks buddy!

Snake what kind of glue did you use? I'm afraid of having the glue eat away at the rubber. Is their a specific type of glue to use or is super glue alright? Thanks buddy!

Well, when I've used super glue in the past it sometimes burns through certain materials, so I used a gentle UHU all purpose adhesive gel glue. Keeps it in place fine, but hopefully not too strong to damage the rubber!

Snake, did you just use regular sandpaper to sand everything down or did you use something special?

I modified the living crap out of my TDK BB suit Bats to give him a better looking cape, but I don't know how comfortable I am doing anything this extensive to the TDK suit one, especially the removal of the armor.

Back