Punk Spike rocks in!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Got my punk Spike today. I had some real reservations about this figure, Spike is my favorite character but I wasn't sure about the expression and the arm exposure troubled me. But I have to say that I'm really digging him. The sculpt is about as good as it can be - really expressive with a Billy Idol attitude but is definitely Marsters. I really didn't think they could do justice to the safety pins either, but these are plastic and look great unless you're right up on them and can tell they aren't safety pins. But I can't think of another way they could have gotten it to look right. The dog tags are a bit big, but go with all the metal on him, from the wrist chain, metal rings on the 2nd belt and the paint op pin in the eyebrow. It all works well. Even the fact that the body color doesn't exactly match the head and hands is mitigated a bit by the wrist accessories.

As for accessories, sorry for the buyers of the regular version - all you get is the pole. But it's metal and looks great. I guess with all the little details on this guy there wasn't much room in the budget for accessories.

And the boombox is metal! Hadn't expected that at all - it has some real heft to it and looks fantastic.

So overall I'm very pleased with "Subway Spike" - bring on Origins William the Bloody or Boxer rebellion Spike!

spike2-1.jpg

spike2-2.jpg

spike2-3.jpg

True, the body color is more appropriate to the character than the face and hands.

And another problem I noticed - I saw on the box picture that he had a second chain with a tiny padlock around his neck. There was no evidence of it on the figure, until I investigated further and found it lost in the crevice between the neck and head. Trying to pull it free it broke. Not difficult to repair, but frustrating none the less.

Don't know when I'm getting mine - haven't heard from T&S Toys yet - but I can't wait to get him. My daughter is really excited about getting this figure. I opted for just getting the regular one and not the exclusive this time - the boombox didn't appeal to me but that's cool that's metal!

Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm still have my doubts about this figure. The colour change betwen the body and head is even more noticable in this photo's and what on earth is going on in 'the trouser dept'? That's one high crouch he's got going on there!

Also the likeness is in my humble opinion seems very poor. The blue and red spalshes of colour also seem to be missing from his shirt. A great shame because I always wanted a FFL doll and so this dissapoints rather.

Say it all with me "It looks much better in person".

The likeness is definitely there - I like how they go for extreme expressions sometimes. And I think it works in this instance. Hadn't noticed anything about the pants, in fact the 2 belts help a bit in making the pants looks better.

As I said, there are a lot of little details on this guy, and even though I didn't really expect much I'm very pleased with him.

sueworld said:
what on earth is going on in 'the trouser dept'? That's one high crouch he's got going on there!QUOTE]

Tight paints thats been a part of the punk scene since the begining.
Even though Spike has the Billy Idol look I've always thought he was more akin to Sid.
sid2.jpg

ramones,0.jpg

Last edited:
Viking28 said:
sueworld said:
what on earth is going on in 'the trouser dept'? That's one high crouch he's got going on there!

Even though Spike has the Billy Idol look I've always thought he was more akin to Sid.

Sadly if Sideshow had studied the screencaps more they would have noticed that the jeans he wore in that episode were a fairly loose affair and weren't tight drainpipes at all.

doq4ih

doq495

Thanks luv. I know that I'm a 'saddo' for noticing these types of details.

That's why I don't have much patience with toy companies when they don't look at their reference properly. If I notice these things then so can they.

If I can get this doll cheap off eBay at some point I may still get it.

Still not a wonderful a finish as the first Spike doll which was superb in both likeness and costume.

Viking28 said:
sueworld said:
what on earth is going on in 'the trouser dept'? That's one high crouch he's got going on there!QUOTE]

sid2.jpg

ramones,0.jpg

Knowing how people dress nowadays, it is hard to belive that this look was considered rebellious and revolting back then... Don't you find?

Captain Sack,

Spike does celebrate Festivus! He has a voice chip, too. When I opened mine today, he said "I got a lot of problems with you people!" It was strange that he sounded just like Jerry Stiller too, huh...must have been a mix up at the factory! Just kidding! :duh

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Viking28 said:
Knowing how people dress nowadays, it is hard to belive that this look was considered rebellious and revolting back then... Don't you find?

Yea it is pretty funny that was the rebellious look at that time.

Seaward said:
Captain Sack,

Spike does celebrate Festivus! He has a voice chip, too. When I opened mine today, he said "I got a lot of problems with you people!" It was strange that he sounded just like Jerry Stiller too, huh...must have been a mix up at the factory! Just kidding! :duh

yea, i heard spike's accessory was gonna be a christmas tree, but he said he finds tinsel distracting!...........so he got a festivus pole instead. :joy

In regards to Spike's pants being too tight - if they are truly made out of denim I'm sure they can be stretched out a bit because denim stretches. That's what I was planning on trying to do with them.

Back