Daredevil: The Reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
IESB Exclusive: FOX's Tom Rothman on a DAREDEVIL Reboot
Written by Robert Sanchez
Thursday, 02 October 2008

We've got part 2 of IESB's exclusive interview with 20th Century Fox co-chairman Tom Rothman for your viewing pleasure today.

In it, he addresses the possibility of a DAREDEVIL reboot. The film starring Ben Affleck and directed by Mark Steven Johnson was released in 2003 to over a $100 million dollar at the box office but panned by critics.

But the Hulk did it, why not Daredevil? You know what I am talking about...it's time for a REBOOT!

See what Rothman had to say about it below,

IESB: One of the brands that has made Fox a lot of money is Marvel. Recently, there was a reboot of the Hulk, which was alright, but I think it was mainly to get it ready for the Avengers film coming up. But there are two Marvel properties you control amongst others, Daredevil and Elektra. Both films didn't do too well but...reboot maybe?

Tom Rothman: A Daredevil, to use your words, reboot, is something we are thinking very seriously about.

IESB: Soon?

TR: Soon?

IESB: I have to ask.

TR: You've lost a lot a weight now Robert and you are going to live for a long time, this is the movie business, nothing is soon.

IESB: But there aren't any issues rights wise you would have to look into?

TR: No. We've got all the rights. And yes, I think that the thing the Hulk showed although, it did what it did, is that it is possible, that if you really do it right the audience will give you a second chance. That it is possible. And I think that you see that when they did Batman Begins, the first Nolan movie, that you can have made some mistakes along the way or movies that the audience wasn't that crazy about and then given the proper amount of time and the right creative vision behind it, you can, to use your word, reboot.

IESB: And Iron Man proved that a second tier hero done right can make lots of money.

TR: Correct, but these are good properties and I am actually encouraged by both the Hulk experience and particularly by what they did with Batman, after the relative disappointment of what the last Batman was [1990's incarnations].

IESB: Would you do Daredevil as dark as The Dark Knight?

TR: Would it be as dark? I don't know because what it really needs is, it needs a visionary at the level that Chris Nolan was. It needs someone, it needs a director, honestly, who has a genuine vision. What we wouldn't do is just do it for the sake of doing it. Right? What we try to do is to get a creative engine for it, that really had a great vision for it, that's what we would look for.

Abandoned by his mother, Matt Murdock was raised by his father, boxer "Battling Jack" Murdock, in Hell's Kitchen. Realizing that rules were needed to prevent people from behaving badly, young Matt decided to study law; however, when he saved a man from an oncoming truck, it spilled a radioactive cargo that rendered Matt blind while enhancing his remaining senses. Under the harsh tutelage of blind martial arts master Stick, Matt mastered his heightened senses and became a formidable fighter. He also attended Columbia University Law School alongside his best friend, Franklin "Foggy" Nelson; but before Matt earned his Juris Doctorate degree, his father was murdered by agents of the Fixer (Roscoe Sweeny) for refusing to throw a fight. Enraged when the legal system failed to bring the Fixer to justice, Matt donned a costume made from his father's boxing robe and went into action as "Daredevil," savagely beating his father's killers and frightening the Fixer himself to death. Establishing a small New York law firm with Foggy, Matt vowed to serve the law as Matt Murdock and to fight evils beyond the law's reach as Daredevil.

I would like to see a good Daredevil movie. I thought the 1st one was pretty bad, so I am all for a "reboot".

But who to play Daredevil this time?

Incidentally, I always thought Thomas Jane would make a better Matt Murdock than Frank Castle.

I wasn't in to comic books that much when the first one came out, and when I got in to Marvel more the consensus that the movie sucked has kept me from renting it. But if they made another one I would go see it. Dunno about a reboot though, I think they should do like Hulk and make it more of a sequel in that it doesn't have an origin story.

This is probably wrong of me, but I've never been interested in the character, never read the comics and never seen the movie, so I am indifferent.

I know I'm firmly in the majority, but I really enjoyed Daredevil. I don't know what they could do to make it "better." Affleck turned in a great performance, but for some reason he gets ^^^^ on because he's Affleck. Kingpin was pretty great too. :dunno

How 'bout instead of a Daredevil movie, give hime a role in Spider-Man 4, or FF3 (if they make one).

I thought Affleck was well cast as Murdoch/DareDevil. He was the only really sold thing in the movie aside from Farrell's over-the-top take on Bullseye which I thought was a lot of fun. Ultimately, Johnson and the film let him down. All of those alt-rock songs and the heavy music video editing and of course the script...whoa...it was definitely not good.

Holy crap. That is hilarious. "Also featuring that guy who played a pilot in Saving Private Ryan as the assistant to Kingpin." :lol

Last edited:
big-no.jpg

I was say out of the names thrown around I'd cast personally Guy Pearce over Eckhart in Matt Murdock's role. Affleck did all right but didn't have the same humble look and then fiercity that the duality of Matt Murdock/Daredevil always shown. Eckhart could do that in spades but he seems more of a Captain America type than the thin, agile Daredevil look.

Back