Iron Man question.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krypto

Super Freak
Reaction score
I liked Iron Man when I saw it in theaters. Didn't think it was great, but I liked it well enough. The finale was the main problem I had.

So I just went ahead and picked the DVD up yesterday and watched the film, which I liked a lot more this time around. I still feel the finale is quite weak, but the rest is very good. But I have a question. During the sequence when he goes back to Afghanistan to save the small village, he shoots five or six guys with guns out of his chest or shoulders (don't remember which). Now, does anyone know if these were actual guns using bullets that almost certainly killed these men or were they some kind of sleeping dart or something similar? If it's the latter, no problem, but if it's the former, then I have some major problems with this film and it'll certainly knock it down a peg or two in my eyes. Any ideas?

Also, I didn't see a Iron Man discussion thread, so I hope this is okay.

I don't remember him killing anyone other than these men in the film, at least not after he became Iron Man back in his normal life in the city. During his escape, no doubt some were injured or possibly killed, but that was before he technically became Iron Man and he was at a somewhat disadvantage in his first time in the suit and the suit wasn't as armored or complete as later version. Just shooting down several men in cold blood without a second thought is not terribly heroic, even if they were threatening civilians.

he shot those terrorist bastards...end of story.....wish that sequence was longer...awesome movie...you want boy scouts and bull chit go watch Superman Begins

i hope he would take out a terrorist if he had a gun pressed against my head....jesus they are bad guys killing women and children they deserve what they got

I don't remember him killing anyone other than these men in the film, at least not after he became Iron Man back in his normal life in the city. During his escape, no doubt some were injured or possibly killed, but that was before he technically became Iron Man and he was at a somewhat disadvantage in his first time in the suit and the suit wasn't as armored or complete as later version. Just shooting down several men in cold blood without a second thought is not terribly heroic, even if they were threatening civilians.

**Spoilers**

He definitely killed people when he was escaping and definitely shot those dudes with bullets. He then ripped the guy out of the wall and tossed him to the people and left him to be beaten to death more than likely. He followed that up by shooting a missle and blowing up the guy in the tank who shot at him, who more than likely died, and then he kills Jeff Bridges at the end of the movie. I don't think Iron Man is worried about killing.

he shot those terrorist bastards...end of story.....wish that sequence was longer...awesome movie...you want boy scouts and bull chit go watch Superman Begins

This is a very immature response.

Anyway, I guess I just hadn't noticed the first time I saw the film. I watched a few sections again and he definitely does kill quite a few people in the film. I'm not comfortable with superheroes killing people in movies or comics for that matter. Especially in what is otherwise a pretty lighthearted film. Now I'm definitely not sure about this one. The film tries to have its cake and eat it too by being cutesy with the building of the suit that seems to only aid Tony Stark in taking human lives. The movie is entirely conflicting in both its style and message. Having Tony Stark run over to Afghanistan and wipe up a terrorist threat in an afternoon is both disrespectful to the hard being done over there and is one-step shy of being Rambo-like in its ineptitude and pure stupidity. Whether he's killing the "bad" guys or not, he's still taking a human life, and as such is no better than the men he just murdered.

UTtoyfan said:
Yeah, like vader70450 mentioned, they can't all be Superman, you know?

Ain't that the true. Or even Batman for that matter.

Those men lost every right they had the minute they pointed their guns to women and children.
The other option would be for him to surrender to them, they would kill him, and then they would resume killing the civilians.

Now, having said that... Hollywood doesn't really like to portray "terrorists" as nothing but one dimensional "bad guys". You'll never really get to see why they were doing what they were doing, or the fact that they too had families and children. It doesn't excuse them for the pain they inflict on others, but it surely makes it harder to just "shoot them", even if its done in a cool way and for justified reasons.
Take the latest Rambo for example. The first half of the movie was there to basically make every bit of blood that is spilled in the second half justified. In order for people to accept the violence and the "revenge", they showed the bad guys killing innocent civilians on a bet, they painted them as rapists, as child molesters, and baby killers. And the script didn't really give us a reason as to why these people were committing these atrocities, they were simply "the bad guys".
Now Hollywood has found another way of putting it, which was summed up by Michael Kane in Batman : "some people just want to see the world burn".
Now that is very convenient cause it makes it ok for american heroes to go there and kill them all.

Those men lost every right they had the minute they pointed their guns to women and children.
The other option would be for him to surrender to them, they would kill him, and then they would resume killing the civilians.

Or he could have simply equipped his shoulder guns with some kind of sleeping dart that would knock them out for several hours while the locals imprisoned them.

Now, having said that... Hollywood doesn't really like to portray "terrorists" as nothing but one dimensional "bad guys". You'll never really get to see why they were doing what they were doing, or the fact that they too had families and children. It doesn't excuse them for the pain they inflict on others, but it surely makes it harder to just "shoot them", even if its done in a cool way and for justified reasons.
Take the latest Rambo for example. The first half of the movie was there to basically make every bit of blood that is spilled in the second half justified. In order for people to accept the violence and the "revenge", they showed the bad guys killing innocent civilians on a bet, they painted them as rapists, as child molesters, and baby killers. And the script didn't really give us a reason as to why these people were committing these atrocities, they were simply "the bad guys".
Now Hollywood has found another way of putting it, which was summed up by Michael Kane in Batman : "some people just want to see the world burn".
Now that is very convenient cause it makes it ok for american heroes to go there and kill them all.

Yet Batman did not kill Joker. He saw fit to be the bigger more responsible man, to not start down that downward spiral that leads to mayhem and murder. That's what makes him a hero.

BTW - Rambo was entirely offensive in every possible way to me as a movie fan and as a human being. What a disgusting film.

If you don't like Superheros killing people maybe you should get into this instead
marvel-babies.jpg

If you don't like Superheros killing people maybe you should get into this instead
marvel-babies.jpg

How is this a legitimate response? If you don't have anything constructive to add to a discussion, it's probably best not to post. ;)

Also, last time I checked, superheroes weren't supposed to leave a body count of 20-30 in their wake while being "heroic". Does Iron Man kill people in the comics? I can't remember reading any Iron Man comics, so I'm not sure.

The old Batman did. The 89' Batman.
I'm not sure if he killd the Joker, but he let him fall to his death.
That's what a true hero would do, since the Joker is an evil bastard. :monkey3

Spartan and I were referring to The Dark Knight, not Burton's film. Believe me, that's opening up another can of worms right there that I'd rather not get into. Especially regarding Batman Returns where Batman incinerates a man and plants explosives on another one, only to smirk while the man blows up behind him as he casually walks away. ;)

How is this a legitimate response? If you don't have anything constructive to add to a discussion, it's probably best not to post. ;)

Also, last time I checked, superheroes weren't supposed to leave a body count of 20-30 in their wake while being "heroic". Does Iron Man kill people in the comics? I can't remember reading any Iron Man comics, so I'm not sure.

Would you rather the Superheroes kill the bad guys?
Or make them go to sleep, so they can wake up again and start
killing people again?

... That's what I thought. :D

Spartan and I were referring to The Dark Knight, not Burton's film. Believe me, that's opening up another can of worms right there that I'd rather not get into. Especially regarding Batman Returns where Batman incinerates a man and plants explosives on another one, only to smirk while the man blows up behind him as he casually walks away. ;)

Just thought I'd mention it.:monkey3

Back