PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow grumble

the_killing_joke
09-25-2008, 02:00 AM
I hate to moan about things but I have been having hassles with my Sideshow figures and I just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar woes.

Very recently I had a bit of unexpected financial hassle that needed fixing fast. Needing some funds fast that would not hurt the rest of the household economy I looked to selling some of my collectables.

So I listed some stuff on ebay. No problems.

Then I came to my Sideshow SW and wondered if I should carry on with them. Having just found that it is amazing what you can live without I thought, shall I stop getting these, sell what I have and save a load of money in the future and really take care of the worry I had now!

Go for it I thought!

The problems with this line were never really an issue with me until I came to sell them. Out of 21 figures, half of them have paint loss from the stands where the boots of the figures have stuck to them. Then there was the camera droid I had to glue the antannae back onto, then the Kit Fisto belt I had to glue the loops to and his lightsabre that I had to glue back together when it literally snapped in half in my hand, much like the Luke Bespin blaster that had the barrel snap off in the too tight holster. Then there was the Luke that had the glue mark on the back of his tunic and the Qui Gon Jinn whose lower leg is knackered after trying to remove the all too tight boot.

The point is I realised that half of my Sideshow figures are actually faulty and being the honest seller that I am I have to put this in the listing! How the hell could I hope to get a good price for some of these things??

So now I think well maybe I should just abandon the idea, buy the parts I need and restore them but with the figures going up and up in price there is no guarantee these little problems (that are little but bloody annoying) will stop along the line. I have found collecting Sideshow SW figures really frustrating.

A lot of it is my own fault for not buying direct from Sideshow I know but all the same I feel I have come a long way for nothing.

Sorry to moan. You guys are collectors so I wanted to get some feedback.

BadMoon
09-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Honestly you will lose money anyways because their SW products seem to go down in price rather than up.

ck1
09-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Honestly you will lose money anyways because their SW products seem to go down in price rather than up.

I dont think this will be the case with the Imperial troopers....

BadMoon
09-25-2008, 05:33 AM
I dont think this will be the case with the Imperial troopers....

I will have to see it to believe it. I was even able just weeks ago to go back and buy a good bit of the sold out PF's either at or below cost. I even bought the exclusives. They just don't hold up like the Marvel line. They make too much of it. The market is also saturated with SW stuff. I doubt the troopers will be any different.

Shai
09-25-2008, 05:36 AM
you guys should stop buying dolls....they look bad, and doesnt stand the test of time...Statues is where this hobby is profitable and enjoyable.

+ SWSUX.

Patient Zero
09-25-2008, 05:51 AM
If you are looking at making your money back on the star wars line, I would consider parting them out on ebay. I often see part outs go for more than the figure would by itself. I believe this hobby is enjoyable how ever you find enjoyment in it. I don't think it matters if you collect 2000.00 statues or .99 pvc toys. It's up to the individual to collect in a manner that satisfies themselves.

the_killing_joke
09-25-2008, 05:56 AM
I am thinking of replacing the parts at the moment and just taking it all a bit easier. I tried collecting a lot of lines at once and I think I have just got myself in a knot. I have to admit though that when I look at the Hot Toys figures I have next to the Sideshow I do think there is a huge difference in quality. I am not in it for profit and that is not my main concern. It just struck me that the Sideshow stuff has been more problematic than I previously cared to admit. I suppose all hobbies have a downside now and again.

galactiboy
09-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Yeah, very few of the SW figures have gone up in value, a few have maintained and most dropped quite a bit.

Sellilng opened ones you are certainly going to take a big loss.

Kuzeh
09-25-2008, 06:35 AM
I am thinking of replacing the parts at the moment and just taking it all a bit easier. I tried collecting a lot of lines at once and I think I have just got myself in a knot. I have to admit though that when I look at the Hot Toys figures I have next to the Sideshow I do think there is a huge difference in quality. I am not in it for profit and that is not my main concern. It just struck me that the Sideshow stuff has been more problematic than I previously cared to admit. I suppose all hobbies have a downside now and again.

Oh but there is, a huge difference....
Sidwshow SW figures are great just standing there, but they do have their issues...Hot Toys, not so much... except for the Aliens, those suck,...:lol
I think the only figure that's hard to find and it's actually more expensive would be Jedi Luke, other than that, you'll hardly recover the money you put on it.

you guys should stop buying dolls....they look bad, and doesnt stand the test of time...Statues is where this hobby is profitable and enjoyable.

+ SWSUX.

Right...:rolleyes:

Darthrazz
09-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm not in it for profit, but the SW stuff doesn't seem to hold it's value. It's almost better to wait a bit and you can buy the ones you want for real good prices, even the exclusives. I bought a Jedi Luke not too long ago for $23!!, I've been able to even buy exclusives , like Qui Gon's Poncho , kenobi's blaster, Sith Anakin Lava stand,etc off of ebay for under $10 each. I know what you are saying though, my Bespin Luke's gun broke as I removed it from the tray!His lightsaber hook on the belt just snapped right off and one of his boots was melted, with a fingerprint imprint on it. I just tell myself that these are really delicate and treat them as such.

ck1
09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

+ SWSUX.

I would say you're right yet also wrong. I mean, that is a helluva sweeping statement mate??

I cant speak for previous SSC SW 'dolls' as they have not interested me until now that the new Hot Toys Imperial trooper line has arrived. Look how popular the exlusive stormies/vaders (#3477 'dolls') are - THEY SOLD OUT IN LESS THAN FOUR MINUTES!!!!

I have a feeling with their relatively low ES (7500 for stormies I think) that they will at least increase in value, maybe not along the lines of USCM Hicks but I cannot see how can they decrease, MIB ones anyway.

ProgMatinee
09-25-2008, 07:40 AM
I've broken a few elements here and there on my figures, but I still find ways to enjoy them. I also broke the gun of my bespin luke while putting it into the holster, but the figure isn't ruined because of it. I just pose him with the saber.

icruise
09-25-2008, 10:15 AM
The only reason to pay anywhere near retail for a SS Star Wars figure is if you want it as soon as possible. You can always get them cheaper on the secondary market, especially if you're patient. The stormtroopers and Vader could be different but I don't think so.

niennumb1
09-25-2008, 03:13 PM
If you're in it to make money off of in the future, you should have done that back in 1977-1983 and buy up toys. Vintage is where it's at in value. Don't even think for a second that the new ones are EVER going to be worth what the vintage goes for.

EVERYONE has the same thing in mind since '95... Keep them in the package so they'll be worth more! Well unfortunately almost everyone did this and the saturation of carded '95 and up is immense as opposed to the Vintage line.

I say find another hobby if you think current SW toys will be worth a lot someday.

Get what matters to YOU. I like the statues far more than I do the toys anymore and am very turned off by a lot of the 3 3/4" figures. I love the PF and life-size SSC stuff as well as other unique things.

Fubeca
09-25-2008, 04:22 PM

+ SWSUX.
:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew
Amen!!!!!!!!!! :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

I have paid for all my statues with other statues...can't do that with dolls!

icruise
09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
:chew :chew :chew :chew :chew
Amen!!!!!!!!!! :chew :chew :chew :chew :chew

I have paid for all my statues with other statues...can't do that with dolls!

You can if the "dolls" are from Hot Toys, it seems.

Nolocke
09-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I do agree I have had the paint rub off on my stands due to the shoes sticking to the base. My solution is not to use the bases but to use dioramas for displaying the figures. The bases are pretty cheap anyway and don't do the figures justice in my opinion.

the_killing_joke
09-27-2008, 02:47 AM
The bases are the chief offenders in all this really. I have found that I can get replacements relatively cheaply though. The repair I did on the Kit Fisto lightsabre hilt is invisible and not an issue. The Camera droid will be okay if it does not take a tumble. The only figure that needs replacing is Qui Gon with his knackered lower leg. I will tot up the bill for what I need to bring them up to scratch I think.

I am however looking at my Bespin Han and thinking WTF was I thinking buying that!

The Tuggernaut
09-27-2008, 02:51 AM

+ SWSUX.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

the_killing_joke
09-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't (*&^ing believe this!

I bought some new stands and new Luke Blaster and then I snap my ANH Obi Wan sabre off at the thin part of the hilt trying to get the thing out of the figures hands.

Sideshow is a dirty word right now!

kazukijun
09-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't (*&^ing believe this!

I bought some new stands and new Luke Blaster and then I snap my ANH Obi Wan sabre off at the thin part of the hilt trying to get the thing out of the figures hands.

Same thing happened to my ANH Obi Wan, definitely not an isolated system. I think the same thing happened to Bcm77 too.
His Light Sabre is just too fragile.

the_killing_joke
09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
I think it is more that the hands are so rigid. A lot of the other figures have softer plastic where the hands are concerned making the removal of the accessories a tad easier. Still bloody annoying though.

SolidLiquidFox
09-28-2008, 01:15 PM
For the most part, I gotta agree with Shai.

Enterbay is the exception to the rule in my book.

thenammagazine
09-28-2008, 04:28 PM

+ SWSUX.

Ahhhhh, the sweet smell of discrimination. You're wrong on several accounts. First, collecting action figures and collecting little figurines and chachkis are two different hobbies. People might do both, but they're two different markets. 2nd, the Hot Toys Predator line, as well as the RoboCop line disprove your theory. Both lines run an average of a 50% price increase in resale value less than a year after an item's release (anyone who's had to buy a Predator from ebaY or the secondary market can vouch for this). Add to this that the average SS Exclusive SW figure fetches an extra $20 on average after they're released (a 20+% increase in value immediately after release).

As far as action figures looking "bad," that's a biased and general statement. Let's take Sideshow's Han Solo PF and their 12" Smuggler Han to use as an example. Sideshow's PF looks just like Zach Braff and really nothing like Ford at all, yet their 12" figure has a fairly good resemblance to Ford.

My local comic shop has both the PF Han Solo and Luke with a $300 price tag. Not surprisingly, over the past two years, neither has sold. Additionally, ebaY is flooded with PFs and statues at retail and guess what? They ain't selling all that well either. TIME and DEMAND are what makes an item monetarily valuable. But that "value" is irrelevant to about 90% of the people here as it's more a sentimental value that you really can't put a price on. And as I was mistakenly told by a member of these boards, if you're collecting for turnover profits, you're in the wrong forums.

And I don't see the difference between collecting "dolls" and collecting figurines and chachkis. Even though you used the term "dolls" to be derogatory and intentionally offensive, and taking into consideration that the term "action figure" was a marketing ploy by Mattel to sell their G.I. Joe 12" "doll" to a masculine consumer base, to be blunt, dolls don't have movable parts or "action" features (and no, I don't even consider Barbie a "doll" as she has movable parts). Even still, by your rational, some of Sideshow's PFs have moving heads, arms, etc... and wear real cloth outfits. Wouldn't that make them "dolls" too?

icruise
09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
What Shai is really talking about is Marvel statues, I think. None of Sideshow's Star Wars stuff (whether PFs, figures, or busts) appreciates like Marvel stuff does. To me, that's mostly a good thing, since you can get things on the secondary market long after release and not pay a fortune.

thenammagazine
09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
What Shai is really talking about is Marvel statues, I think. None of Sideshow's Star Wars stuff (whether PFs, figures, or busts) appreciates like Marvel stuff does. To me, that's mostly a good thing, since you can get things on the secondary market long after release and not pay a fortune.

Even still, just walk into your local comic shop. Most of the Marvel statues they have there, at retail, aren't really selling either. I ended up buying all the SS exclusive Sentinel X-Men statues at LESS than retail when he gave me a discount for the lot. How is that "appreciating" in value?

darthviper107
09-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Don't pay any attention to Shai anyways, he likes starting fights with people that like stuff he hates.

jstep13
09-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Meh, dont get worried about the 'dolls' tag. It used to bother me but it doesnt anymore.

Think about it, the 6" collectors laugh at the 3 3/4" 'toy' collectors. 1/6 collectors laugh at the 6" 'toy'collectors. The statue collectors laugh at the 1/6 'doll' collectors. The 1:1 lifesize collectors laugh at the 'tiny' statue collectors. And everyone else 'normal' on the outside that dont collect anything laugh at ALL of us '40-year old virgins.'

So dont feel bad about collecting 'dolls' as some would say, everyone gets heat for their collections, whether it's stamps, coins, beanie babies, barbies, whatever.

Its weird how everone likes to discriminate against their own kind anyways. Marvel collectors laugh at Star Wars collectors? WTF? So we collect Jedis and they collect Hulks? What's the difference?

EVILFACE
09-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Same thing happened to my ANH Obi Wan, definitely not an isolated system. I think the same thing happened to Bcm77 too.
His Light Sabre is just too fragile.

Open the hand and let it drop out, don't try and pull the saber from the hand.

thenammagazine
09-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Meh, dont get worried about the 'dolls' tag. It used to bother me but it doesnt anymore.

Think about it, the 6" collectors laugh at the 3 3/4" 'toy' collectors. 1/6 collectors laugh at the 6" 'toy'collectors. The statue collectors laugh at the 1/6 'doll' collectors. The 1:1 lifesize collectors laugh at the 'tiny' statue collectors. And everyone else 'normal' on the outside that dont collect anything laugh at ALL of us '40-year old virgins.'

So dont feel bad about collecting 'dolls' as some would say, everyone gets heat for their collections, whether it's stamps, coins, beanie babies, barbies, whatever.

Its weird how everone likes to discriminate against their own kind anyways. Marvel collectors laugh at Star Wars collectors? WTF? So we collect Jedis and they collect Hulks? What's the difference?

I'm not mad about it. I just find it hypocritical that he uses it and wanted to point out that there isn't really a difference between the two collectors in what they collect and appreciated value of the collectibles. And being honest, I understand that the whole term "action figure" was a coined marketing ploy by Mattel because they didn't want to try to sell a "doll" to boys.

I think he's just mad because he streaked his superhero underoose so his mom threw them out and they no longer make them in his size. :p

Alice Adrenochrome
09-30-2008, 12:34 AM

:D Sideshow

Yes, they are kings in selling overpriced 12", and most of their stuff has lost it's value, the minute you've bought it. Even their super deluxe customer service can't make up for that anymore.

jstep13
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
:D Sideshow

Yes, they are kings in selling overpriced 12", and most of their stuff has lost it's value, the minute you've bought it. Even their super deluxe customer service can't make up for that anymore.

Actually, that's Medicom. You could make a case for Hot Toys as well but they are the ^^^^^ when it comes to 12" so you can make a case for them. Sideshow is still the cheapest but you get what you pay for. But Medicom is ridiculously overpriced.

Shai
09-30-2008, 01:05 AM
I just dont like dolls anymore, but you guys can collect dolls if thats your thing.I prefer statue over dolls.

nash
09-30-2008, 01:36 AM
I just dont like dolls anymore, but you guys can collect dolls if thats your thing.I prefer statue over dolls.

dolls are boring.

Statues > Dolls

EVILFACE
09-30-2008, 01:45 AM
You both just like stiff things!!

ascend1.0
09-30-2008, 02:19 AM
While the investment of Sideshow's 1/6 Star Wars line is up for debate, I think it is the quality issues that really can't be ignored, I have purchased a few Sideshow 12" 1/6 figures and find that generally in terms of quality they just don't stack up. Thing break easily, paint job is questionable, early figures have massive over sized heads. I have currently the SDCC Vader anakin on display next to sideshow, bbi and hot toys figure and if anakin/Vader wasn't the most powerful force weilder in the galaxy, he certainly had the biggest head. People say Sideshow fills the gap between Hasbro and the more pricey hot toys lines but bbi was able to make excellent figures for basically the same price, and the only down side is that they no longer produce figures as often as they used to. Sideshow has now developed, with the aid of the quality leader hot toys a new body which everyone is no doubt looking forward to seeing and coming into contact with but why wasn't this body developed when they first got the star wars licence, surely Indiana Jones is not more popular than star wars. People will say that if you don't like something then don't buy it, but for 1/6 Star wars fans sideshow and medicom are all we have and I have never been able to purchase a Medicom figure. Any way I just wanted to get that off my chest and hope I haven't offended to many people.

thenammagazine
09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
While the investment of Sideshow's 1/6 Star Wars line is up for debate, I think it is the quality issues that really can't be ignored, I have purchased a few Sideshow 12" 1/6 figures and find that generally in terms of quality they just don't stack up. Thing break easily, paint job is questionable, early figures have massive over sized heads. People will say that if you don't like something then don't buy it, but for 1/6 Star wars fans sideshow and medicom are all we have and I have never been able to purchase a Medicom figure. Any way I just wanted to get that off my chest and hope I haven't offended to many people.

That description above fits Medicom more than Sideshow. Except that in place of the head, you get a cheaply built plastic body that breaks all too easy and looks like a little boy, not the grown men they're trying to portray. And add likeness issues as well. As bad as some of the Sideshow's have been, Medicom's missed likenesses more often then not. And let's not forget that they're double the price!

J-Wild
09-30-2008, 11:18 AM

AMEN to that...we're all nerds in this together! :lol

FQRizzo
09-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Actually, that's Medicom. You could make a case for Hot Toys as well but they are the ^^^^^ when it comes to 12" so you can make a case for them. Sideshow is still the cheapest but you get what you pay for. But Medicom is ridiculously overpriced.

Yeah for the price of two medicom figures you could buy a Marvel PF (including the cost of shipping) and be much happier!

OSCORP
09-30-2008, 11:56 AM
dolls are boring.

Statues > Dolls

Yup boring!

:)

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/retskoow/Pred%20bust/12IronMan_MarkI.jpg

icruise
09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Hot Toys really is taking it to the next level. Many of their "dolls" look better than any statue I've ever seen.

Boba Fett
09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Agreed. Hot Toys Endoskeleton and the new Iron Man figures are ones to be rivaled.

the_killing_joke
09-30-2008, 02:44 PM
It is the quality issues that bug me. I have just had to replace 4 stands with further 2 or 3 that need to be replaced too. I have just replaced the Luke Bespin Blaster too. To have another accessory break is just annoying. For the money I pay I expect the thing to stay intact. I don't think you should have to develop a knack for taking something from a figure's hand in case you break it. Make hands that have some give in them so you can bend the figures open. (The fingers on my ANH Ben were really quite rigid.)

As for the likenesses I used to compare them to Hasbro and think wow! But then a couple of sponges with faces drawn on them could pretty much recreate such a reaction.

Sorry to bang on about Hot Toys but I am looking at their products and thinking, I wish my Sideshow Star Wars figures were of this standard. I would definitely pay the extra if Hot Toys got the SW license.

Sorry to moan and sound pissy. I am just really upset that I have to buy so many parts to keep my collection in good order.

By the way, I have to agree about the oversized heads someone mentioned. Some of them look silly.

thenammagazine
09-30-2008, 10:11 PM
It is the quality issues that bug me. I have just had to replace 4 stands with further 2 or 3 that need to be replaced too. I have just replaced the Luke Bespin Blaster too. To have another accessory break is just annoying. For the money I pay I expect the thing to stay intact. I don't think you should have to develop a knack for taking something from a figure's hand in case you break it. Make hands that have some give in them so you can bend the figures open. (The fingers on my ANH Ben were really quite rigid.)

As for the likenesses I used to compare them to Hasbro and think wow! But then a couple of sponges with faces drawn on them could pretty much recreate such a reaction.

Sorry to bang on about Hot Toys but I am looking at their products and thinking, I wish my Sideshow Star Wars figures were of this standard. I would definitely pay the extra if Hot Toys got the SW license.

Sorry to moan and sound pissy. I am just really upset that I have to buy so many parts to keep my collection in good order.

By the way, I have to agree about the oversized heads someone mentioned. Some of them look silly.

There's a fine line though. If they made the lightsabers and blasters out of metal, that increases the price plus makes them heavier for the figures to hold up. If they made them mailable, people would cry that they're cheap and bend too easy. If they made them thicker, they'd be less realistic but considerably more durable. How many people do you think would cause a $#!+storm about the accessories looking like Hasbro's if they were thicker? When you put the lightsaber in the figure's hand, you can feel that they're fragile and know that it's going to take a bit more effort to remove/replace them. Just look at the LOTR's King of the Dead. His sword is fragile as hell and he's pretty pricey. I don't care because I know to be careful around it. Wouldn't be the first time something expensive was fragile.

EVILFACE
09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
They said no to metal lightsabers because they would not be as detailed. Just be careful with your $60 toys.

icruise
09-30-2008, 10:19 PM
They just need to make the hands of a softer material. They're so hard that they're very difficult to put on and off, or to put the accessories in or take them out.

the_killing_joke
10-01-2008, 04:12 AM
I'd go with changing the plastic on the hands. Some of them have softer plastic hands that make the job easy.

Maybe I just underestimated the strength of my thumb? :D

Puay
10-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Being sort of a completist, its annoying to see anything in my collection breaking. I have somewhat accepted the fact that, now and then I would need to do repairs for the "unavoidable" damages occurring. Last thing I want is not being able to have fun with my collection having the fear of breaking anything. :rolleyes:

Matt S
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Surprised to see so much negativity here; while I do not agree with some of it, I feel some of you are being a tad harsh....I mean my freakishly long armed Jedi Luke is perfect! :D

I will say that no one can touch Hot Toys latetly. No one!

The Josh
10-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm cutting back all around but the price of where things have gone with all of them really helped get me there.

choopie
10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I'm not a 1:6 collector, but if I was I'd be buying Hot Toys. I wouldn't be giving Sideshow or Medicom the time of day.

Lee in MI
10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't want to jump on the bash SSC band wagon on a SS enthusiast board but I have to wonder why SS doesn't increase their level of quality AND increase their prices to meet that level so that they are on par or maybe even under par with the items they distribute. Of course I mean in the 1/6th scale arena cause I think they are on par in the diorama and statue department...but then again I don't collect those I can only comment on what I see.

I started collecting SS stuff when they acquired the Star Wars license. Not being a fan of their stuff, I was of course skeptical or their ability. Not thier ability to beat Hasblow, but I just had a general sketicism about this unknown (to me!) company. Boy was I wrong! I was blown away by the initial offering with Jedi Luke. I was also reassured of their supreme prowess when I read up on the company regarding their commitment to quality, their determination to deliver "high quality museum grade products, that you can pose and play with!" and their past lines which showed their great attention to detail.

Now some of that luster has worn thin. There's been mistakes, like all companies have. There's been quality issues, like all companies have. And there's been flat out errors, like all companies have. There's been slow releases and some bad judgement with character selection, like all companies have. But the dissappointment for me is the lack of commitment to thier mantra of producing "museum quality" figures. Even if the first pass ain't exactly right, why not try and fix it. For example, Hot Toy's V1 Joker had a great head sculpt but by even their standards it didn't capture Heath to the best of their abilities. So what'd they do, they release another figure and through in the revised head to boot. Now I could site many instances where SSC could and should have corrected a mistake that reached the production level and they've just decided to ignore em. Anakin's peg arm comes to mind (hell his entire portrait for that matter), the gigantic head of Han Solo, the humongous hand and head symdrone that plagues their figures across the board. The mis-matched paint of the OT Leia with her hands and head. The missing stormtrooper belts for OT luke and han. The lack of depth in the LOTR line...i could go on...I won't.

The point being, they could do better and they do have the ability to do better...I'm not sure they want to and it's dissappointing that they offer no real explanation why they don't.

With all that said, I still think SSC gives you the most bang for your buck when it comes to 1/6th scale collectibles...but with HT increasing their level of quality and accuracy, they have effectively surpassed SS in this market sector and will soon beat them in the bang for your buck department...even at a higher price point. I think SSC suffers for not having permanent feet on the ground over there like HT does. It was disheartening to hear SSC's response to a question during SDCC about HT's tumbler when they simply admitted they didn't know how HT's did it. I belive the quote was, "...if we had made it, it would be at least $1000 dollars.":google

SSC's in that statement seemed to almost raise the white flag saying, "Go ahead Hot Toys, you da man. You got it, we'll gladly settle for the first loser spot (2nd place)!"

Sorry I was so long...ran't over.

DarkArtist81
10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
They said no to metal lightsabers because they would not be as detailed. Just be careful with your $60 toys.

Quoted for truth. I only broke stuff in my early Sideshow collecting career. Over time I have learned to be careful with my figures. I've never had to call for a replacement of anything. Sure, I've broken minor things on many different items, statues and figures alike... but nothing Super glue could not fix.

thenammagazine
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
For example, Hot Toy's V1 Joker had a great head sculpt but by even their standards it didn't capture Heath to the best of their abilities. So what'd they do, they release another figure and through in the revised head to boot.

I actually canceled my preorder of the HT Joker when I saw the promo for the Bank Robber version. So in that respect, Hot Toys actually lost my money (I say "my" because someone else will inevitably buy the one I canceled). Feel free to find the AVP:R thread and read all the seething HATE that HT Predator collectors displayed at having to see their first version of the Wolf Predator replaced by a better, "Cleaner" version (:naughty) with more accessories.

I think Sideshow's stance of "do it and move on" is better. You like it, buy it! You don't, skip it. If it's Star Wars, there'll be many other people willing to buy it in your stead.

Lee in MI
10-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I actually canceled my preorder of the HT Joker when I saw the promo for the Bank Robber version. So in that respect, Hot Toys actually lost my money (I say "my" because someone else will inevitably buy the one I canceled). Feel free to find the AVP:R thread and read all the seething HATE that HT Predator collectors displayed at having to see their first version of the Wolf Predator replaced by a better, "Cleaner" version (:naughty) with more accessories.

I think Sideshow's stance of "do it and move on" is better. You like it, buy it! You don't, skip it. If it's Star Wars, there'll be many other people willing to buy it in your stead.

Well, I'm well aware of the Predator mess that Hot Toys stirs up. But that's not the same issue as the Joker portrait. The Predator stuff (which I collect) is a HT money grab...not a correction. With that, they are producing two figs that could arguably be the most iconic version of the character...its up to collectors to decide which one they think is the most iconic...or just buy most. Hence the money grab. All toy companies due this to one degree or another. I would venture to say that at least Hot Toys offers you a repaint and new accessories. Other companies may just give you a repaint.

I don't appreciate SSC's "do it and move on" approach at all. As a matter of fact, if that is going to be their process, it's all the more reason that each "museum quality" figure should be THE most iconic version that they are capable of producing! Especially since they (theoretically) will never revisit that particular version of that character again.

Lee in MI
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM

Oh and after much thought and discussion with my brother, we landed on the original Wolf being the most iconic version...the cleaner was cool, but besides the cleaner kit itself, the V1 wolf had better accessories.

thenammagazine
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Well, I'm well aware of the Predator mess that Hot Toys stirs up. But that's not the same issue as the Joker portrait. The Predator stuff (which I collect) is a HT money grab...not a correction. With that, they are producing two figs that could arguably be the most iconic version of the character...its up to collectors to decide which one they think is the most iconic...or just buy most. Hence the money grab. All toy companies due this to one degree or another. I would venture to say that at least Hot Toys offers you a repaint and new accessories. Other companies may just give you a repaint.

I don't appreciate SSC's "do it and move on" approach at all. As a matter of fact, if that is going to be their process, it's all the more reason that each "museum quality" figure should be THE most iconic version that they are capable of producing! Especially since they (theoretically) will never revisit that particular version of that character again.

Actually The Cleaner was slightly different and came with an entirely new set of accessories. And I'm betting the many who preordered the Wolf Predator didn't know HT was putting out the Cleaner so that really doesn't constitute as a choice.

And for Sideshow, the only real turds in the 12" Star Wars line have been their TESB Han (just the headsculpt), their Padme "snow bunny psycho" Ilum Mission figure and the Yavin Luke. Other than that, I can live with a slightly "chubby" head or slightly longer arms. That's 3 out of 34, and all but 7 have wait-listed or sold out. Not a bad track record at all.

Lee in MI
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Actually The Cleaner was slightly different and came with an entirely new set of accessories. And I'm betting the many who preordered the Wolf Predator didn't know HT was putting out the Cleaner so that really doesn't constitute as a choice.

And for Sideshow, the only real turds in the 12" Star Wars line have been their TESB Han (just the headsculpt), their Padme "snow bunny psycho" Ilum Mission figure and the Yavin Luke. Other than that, I can live with a slightly "chubby" head or slightly longer arms. That's 3 out of 34, and all but 7 have wait-listed or sold out. Not a bad track record at all.

Yeah but it's all a matter of opinion on which accessories were better...my op was toward the original. And if you ordered the V1 and wanted to get the V2 instead, they are not like SSC SW figs, you can always sell it and get the one you want without suffering a loss:naughty

I think SSC's track record has been very good statistically, but that still doesn't negate the fact that if they are going to produce a certain rendition of a character only once, then they should go all out and make it the best there is. If not, do what HT does by selling several then let the collectors decide. If one wanted, they could buy both and create the ULTIMATE version of that character. With SS, you don't have that option.

And my argument isn't about whether they are creating turds, but whether they are meeting that "museum quality" standard that they profess...in some instances they are, not so much in others. and in my opinion I can only name about three that do: ANH Obi, Leia Bousch, Bespin Luke (arguably), Palpatine, Kit and Assage...wait that was more:joy

Point being, I don't think they are doing bad with the line but they seem to have much room for improvement...and HT's is making that room bigger with almost every announcement.:monkey2

thenammagazine
10-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah but it's all a matter of opinion on which accessories were better...my op was toward the original. And if you ordered the V1 and wanted to get the V2 instead, they are not like SSC SW figs, you can always sell it and get the one you want without suffering a loss:naughty

I think SSC's track record has been very good statistically, but that still doesn't negate the fact that if they are going to produce a certain rendition of a character only once, then they should go all out and make it the best there is. If not, do what HT does by selling several then let the collectors decide. If one wanted, they could buy both and create the ULTIMATE version of that character. With SS, you don't have that option.

And my argument isn't about whether they are creating turds, but whether they are meeting that "museum quality" standard that they profess...in some instances they are, not so much in others. and in my opinion I can only name about three that do: ANH Obi, Leia Bousch, Bespin Luke (arguably), Palpatine, Kit and Assage...wait that was more:joy

Point being, I don't think they are doing bad with the line but they seem to have much room for improvement...and HT's is making that room bigger with almost every announcement.:monkey2

Eh, I think their Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Plo Koon, ROTS Obi Wan and Kit Fisto easily fell into that category as well. Vader, AOTC Kenobi and the troopers aside as they are not yet available, although the prototypes were awesome, you also forgot Darth Maul. --> :maul

But this is silly as the Smithsonian has Hasbro Star Wars toys in it too. Plain and simple, "Museum Quality" is a matter of perception and opinion. And to be honest, after seeing several of the SSF members' galleries of their 12" SW collections, I can honestly say I didn't stop and think, "Damn, that TESB Han has a pig face!" There's always something about every single figure they produce, with the exception of Padme and Yavin Luke, that captivate me by the amount of detail involved in the design, execution and yes, even quality, on a mass scale.

Lee in MI
10-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Eh, I think their Jabba, Bib Fortuna, Plo Koon, ROTS Obi Wan and Kit Fisto easily fell into that category as well. Vader, AOTC Kenobi and the troopers aside as they are not yet available, although the prototypes were awesome, you also forgot Darth Maul. --> :maul

But this is silly as the Smithsonian has Hasbro Star Wars toys in it too. Plain and simple, "Museum Quality" is a matter of perception and opinion. And to be honest, after seeing several of the SSF members' galleries of their 12" SW collections, I can honestly say I didn't stop and think, "Damn, that TESB Han has a pig face!" There's always something about every single figure they produce, with the exception of Padme and Yavin Luke, that captivate me by the amount of detail involved in the design, execution and yes, even quality, on a mass scale.

Well, like I said...a matter of opinion. I would not include Darth Maul in that catagory at all...mis-painted lips, monkey arms and space boots rules him out in my book. I could see Plo and Bid...they were very good. Jabba falls more into the diorama catagory for me. This is one of SSC's strong suits. They make excellent statues...prototypes and productions and Jab was more of a two armed statue made of vinyl.

I think the Smith has Hasblow in it for different reasons than quality.:google I guess you can say that it is a matter of opinion, the whole museum quality thing. But where they fail is when the production versions fall short of the prototype...in some cases wayyyyy short. To me, "museum quality" means a reproduction...a very good reproduction of the prototype or original. I think SS falls short in this area due to the lack of ground troops, if you will, at the source. Hot Toys seems to best them in this area.

I by no means think that HT is perfect but it would seem like they are striving to meet a higher standard (and price point) than SS has recently. And that really concerns me. I don't think the sky is falling with them but with all the competition out there, folks dollars getting tighter (which means more selective and conservative spending) and some of these fixable snaffus we see with them, they could be in jeopardy of losing market share fast! Seems to me their answer to that possibility is just to start distributing the competition's product with little improvement to their own stuff.

Just my op.

The Josh
10-02-2008, 09:30 AM

I have to agree. When I look at the stuff I still have or stuff others have I just look and admire how nice the stuff looks. Every piece has an issues from every company. People really need to try and enjoy their hobbies more instead of turning them into some kind of perfection game.

Lee in MI
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think most folks are looking for perfection at all...just the best they can be. And we all know SSC has the talent, licenses and potential to be just that. Hot Toys should not be chomping at their heels like they are.

ck1
10-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't think most folks are looking for perfection at all...just the best they can be. And we all know SSC has the talent, licenses and potential to be just that. Hot Toys should not be chomping at their heels like they are.

Those sentances are wrong on so many levels.

Lee in MI
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Those sentances are wrong on so many levels.

Care to elaborate or do you just like jumping in conversations, saying something esoteric, then leave?:D

thenammagazine
10-02-2008, 05:05 PM
HotToys this, HotToys that. Yeah, HotToys makes great action figures. I own many but I also have forked out a bunch of cash to do so. I wonder what would happen if Sideshow increased their quality, followed by their prices to match HotToys (think at minimum $175 per action figure plus shipping!). I wonder how many people would whine about it:

"Gee, Sideshow, your stuff's sooooooooo expensive! Too expensive! Drop your prices and put everything back on the buck! I can't afford it now!"

Everyone says they'd be more than happy to pay it, but the forums are PACKED with people whining about the higher prices of Medicom and HotToys 1:6 action figures...

Lee in MI
10-03-2008, 09:21 AM
"Gee, Sideshow, your stuff's sooooooooo expensive! Too expensive! Drop your prices and put everything back on the buck! I can't afford it now!"
Put it back on the buck!!!:lol:rotfl:nono

Everyone says they'd be more than happy to pay it, but the forums are PACKED with people whining about the higher prices of Medicom and HotToys 1:6 action figures...

...and yet they keep selling...

thenammagazine
10-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Put it back on the buck!!!:lol:rotfl:nono

...and yet they keep selling...

This is true. But I'd be very interested to see a comparison of which sells more. A higher price means a smaller consumer base. Case in point. StarWarsShop.com bought, wasn't it 1000 of the Shock Troopers? They had them listed for months and months and they didn't sell until they were discounted to $75. That's a HUGE loss. Sideshow makes 6,000 Storm Troopers and they sell out in less than 6 minutes. Do the math.

lcummins
10-03-2008, 10:52 AM
...Sideshow makes 6,000 Storm Troopers and they sell out in less than 6 minutes. Do the math.

Actually, it was the exclusive version which sold out that fast, and it was limited to 1500 figures, a large percentage of which, were pre-sold at SDCC before the PPO even went up. The regular was an edition size of 6000 and it lasted for many days (maybe even weeks) before selling out.

Lee in MI
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually, it was the exclusive version which sold out that fast, and it was limited to 1500 figures, a large percentage of which, were pre-sold at SDCC before the PPO even went up. The regular was an edition size of 6000 and it lasted for many days (maybe even weeks) before selling out.

Thats correct...and remember that those 6000 are retailer orders that are not really final sales. In many cases, lots of these go back to SSC due to the retailers not be able to sell them...this accounts for some of the waitlist conversions and many of the second chance opportunities. Remember the mysterious Hot Toys USCM's that suddenly became available that caused so much commotion? It wasn't a warehouse find...it was a retailer return.

thenammagazine
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Remember the mysterious Hot Toys USCM's that suddenly became available that caused so much commotion? It wasn't a warehouse find...it was a retailer return.

Doesn't that prove my point?

Additionally, the 6k aren't all retailer orders. I'm putting my money on the fact that the majority of those excess were customer purchases directly from Sideshow.

Lee in MI
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Doesn't that prove my point?

Additionally, the 6k aren't all retailer orders. I'm putting my money on the fact that the majority of those excess were customer purchases directly from Sideshow.

Actually it doesn't...you see those were sitting somewhere in Whoknows, USA and they wouldn't sell. Once SS got em back, they sold em right away...at whatever the Hot Toys price was. The HT and Medicom stuff sells...and it sells very well. So to your point, no, if SS stepped up their quality (on the production side) and matched their prices to that effort, they would still sell figures just as briskly as Medi or HT. Sure there would be some rumblings, there always are, but if the matched what HT's production level is as far as quality, you bet your arse they would still sell a lot of figs even at $120-140 bucks.

Well let me clarify. I didn't mean to suggest all 6k were retailer orders, but my money would be on the majority of those being just that...but both positions are a matter of opinion and we'll never know, so moot point.

onethousandmasks
10-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I always tought of Sideshow as a less expensive alternative. Medicom and Hot toys are too expensive for some of us poor folk. Yes, Sideshow has gone up in price, but if you guys noticed so has HT and Medicom. The price hike has gone up all across the board in this economy.

Vader AL
10-03-2008, 04:30 PM
just need to vent, I HATE HATE HATE signatured required shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!:emperor

rant over.

ck1
10-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Care to elaborate or do you just like jumping in conversations, saying something esoteric, then leave?:D

Sorry for late reply, I have been drooling over the new trooper from ssc!

I dont understand where you're coming from regarding Hot Toys as competition to ssc. First of all aren't hot toys manufacturing the ssc trooper range? Also I dont know why people would consider competition as bad when in reality it only drives up standards. Progress I like to call it :cool:

onethousandmasks
10-03-2008, 04:45 PM

I dont understand where you're coming from regarding Hot Toys as competition to ssc. First of all aren't hot toys manufacturing the ssc trooper range? Also I dont know why people would consider competition as bad when in reality it only drives up standards. Progress I like to call it :cool:

I agree. Also, as far as competition goes, I dont get it either, since neither are producing or have the license for the same stuff.

FQRizzo
10-03-2008, 05:43 PM
just need to vent, I HATE HATE HATE signatured required shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!:emperor

rant over.

I would like to agree with you x 1000. It should be the other way around. You should have to make special arrangements to get signature confirmation, not remove it.

thenammagazine
10-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Actually it doesn't...you see those were sitting somewhere in Whoknows, USA and they wouldn't sell. Once SS got em back, they sold em right away...at whatever the Hot Toys price was. The HT and Medicom stuff sells...and it sells very well. So to your point, no, if SS stepped up their quality (on the production side) and matched their prices to that effort, they would still sell figures just as briskly as Medi or HT. Sure there would be some rumblings, there always are, but if the matched what HT's production level is as far as quality, you bet your arse they would still sell a lot of figs even at $120-140 bucks.

Still makes no sense. They DIDN'T sell at the other retailer. So Sideshow action figures sell there whereas they think HT are too expensive. I've seen several customers at my local comic shop who feel the same too. Masks has proved my point:

I always tought of Sideshow as a less expensive alternative. Medicom and Hot toys are too expensive for some of us poor folk. Yes, Sideshow has gone up in price, but if you guys noticed so has HT and Medicom. The price hike has gone up all across the board in this economy.

Additionally, take a long hard look at the number of HotToys action figures Sideshow imports vs. what they sell from products they manufacture. We're talking about comparing sales of hundreds of HotToys to thousands of Sideshow. It's not hard to go out on a limb and say if they imported 8,000 of any of HotToys action figures that's a hard number to sell, especially at the near $200 mark, regardless of quality. StarWarsShop couldn't even sell 1000 shock troopers at $150. They had to knock the price down 50% to $75 and take the loss. Now multiply that by eight.

thenammagazine
10-03-2008, 06:38 PM

I think HotToys just worked with them on the design (though don't quote me on that). As for competition, keep in mind, it also drives the prices up in some cases.

ck1
10-04-2008, 04:14 AM
I think HotToys just worked with them on the design (though don't quote me on that). As for competition, keep in mind, it also drives the prices up in some cases.

Competition usually drives prices down, anti-monoply and all that.

thenammagazine
10-04-2008, 05:47 AM
Competition usually drives prices down, anti-monoply and all that.

Yes, well, "competition" and all, that hasn't happened with any of these action figure companies. All three have raised their prices over the last two years. Shoot, even Hasbro has raised the cost of their 12" Joe line.

Vader AL
10-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I would like to agree with you x 1000. It should be the other way around. You should have to make special arrangements to get signature confirmation, not remove it.

i am going to fax the request forms for all my preorders and even waitlist stuff(like 25 items) to SS on Monday just to make sure i don't have to deal with it whenever any of it ships or converts/ships.

how about a "universal no signature required" option for my account SS? Make me sign one form for my account that covers anything I order.

thenammagazine
10-04-2008, 08:34 PM
i am going to fax the request forms for all my preorders and even waitlist stuff(like 25 items) to SS on Monday just to make sure i don't have to deal with it whenever any of it ships or converts/ships.

how about a "universal no signature required" option for my account SS? Make me sign one form for my account that covers anything I order.

So what happens the first time that UPS says your package was delivered and you don't have it?

Vader AL
10-04-2008, 08:51 PM
So what happens the first time that UPS says your package was delivered and you don't have it?

then they didn't deliver it because it wouldn't be stolen at my house. same thing that would happen if it was something besides SS and they didn't deliver it. most stuff isn't delivered signatured required, i don't worry about it being stolen any more because it's SS.

thenammagazine
10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
then they didn't deliver it because it wouldn't be stolen at my house. same thing that would happen if it was something besides SS and they didn't deliver it. most stuff isn't delivered signatured required, i don't worry about it being stolen any more because it's SS.

All it takes is that one time. I used to feel the same way until something similar happened to me. Now I really don't mind the minor inconvenience for the added security.

FQRizzo
10-05-2008, 07:36 AM
All it takes is that one time. I used to feel the same way until something similar happened to me. Now I really don't mind the minor inconvenience for the added security.

For me, it is much better without the signature confirmation. I can track it online and be there within 30 minutes of them putting it on my doorstep. If I have to sign for it, I either have to take a day off of work or try to guess when UPS is coming and wait at home for a few hours. I could have them hold it, but it is a pain to drive 45 minutes to get it. A few packages, like the Hulk PF or Thing PF, probably wouldn't even fit in my car. :lol

thenammagazine
10-06-2008, 01:46 AM
For me, it is much better without the signature confirmation. I can track it online and be there within 30 minutes of them putting it on my doorstep. If I have to sign for it, I either have to take a day off of work or try to guess when UPS is coming and wait at home for a few hours. I could have them hold it, but it is a pain to drive 45 minutes to get it. A few packages, like the Hulk PF or Thing PF, probably wouldn't even fit in my car. :lol

Eh, it's still a smart decision on Sideshow's part. Even if you guys are as honest as you say you are, there are still those @$$es who aren't. If a product arrived, just left per customer request, and was stolen, the customer would blame everyone but the responsible party, themselves. And it's a pain in the @$$ to send thousands of packages differently vs. the ease of sending them all with "sign for delivery" so I understand on that part too.

the_killing_joke
10-06-2008, 04:06 AM
I think I must be jinxed with these things! I got my box of replacement stands and one of them has the same sort of marks on it as the ones I am replacing and the other has a scratch on the lettering. I can't even be bothered to complain to the seller.

So parting them out is the best way of selling them is it??

FQRizzo
10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I think I must be jinxed with these things! I got my box of replacement stands and one of them has the same sort of marks on it as the ones I am replacing and the other has a scratch on the lettering. I can't even be bothered to complain to the seller.

So parting them out is the best way of selling them is it??

You seem very particular...

the_killing_joke
10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I am not particular as such. I just like to buy something and not have it break or be scuffed or have blotches on the paint. I think that is just expecting a fair deal as a customer.

FQRizzo
10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Fair enough, but you're getting rid of the figures because of the stands?

Lee in MI
10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Still makes no sense. They DIDN'T sell at the other retailer. So Sideshow action figures sell there whereas they think HT are too expensive. I've seen several customers at my local comic shop who feel the same too. Masks has proved my point:

What you don't get is this happens to MANY SS items that come back up for order and the ones that fill waitlist. It's not just Hot Toys. Many of the main local guys around here are having a hard time selling all of that stuff and much of it goes back to SSC.

Additionally, take a long hard look at the number of HotToys action figures Sideshow imports vs. what they sell from products they manufacture. We're talking about comparing sales of hundreds of HotToys to thousands of Sideshow. It's not hard to go out on a limb and say if they imported 8,000 of any of HotToys action figures that's a hard number to sell, especially at the near $200 mark, regardless of quality. StarWarsShop couldn't even sell 1000 shock troopers at $150. They had to knock the price down 50% to $75 and take the loss. Now multiply that by eight.

You have a point but that's your opinion since we don't have HT numbers to compare. Most HT items sell out and who's to know how many SSC actually orders.

Good talking to ya bro but we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

the_killing_joke
10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
It was not just the stands. I broke my ANH Ben lightsabre too last week.

wookielovin
10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
If you are buying SW for profit your buying for the wrong reason!... there too much crap on the market and too many companies that hold a licence. The only way for SW collectables to go back up is if lucas puts out more movies that are DECENT.

Thats the only way i can foresee pricing to rasie. Compare it too the comic book movie frenzy right now.

the_killing_joke
10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I am not collecting for profit at all. Considering selling them is what made me re-examine the quality of the items that's all. Another example would be the Luke Bespin Blaster and belt I bought to replace the blaster that broke when I tried to get it in the holster. (Which is too tight) I got the gun and replaced the one in the figures hand (because the holster is too small) and then when I went to put the repaired one into the new holster that was now more or less a spare the holster split and the magnets came off. That is what I am grumbling about. I just seemed jinxed with Sideshow.

thenammagazine
10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
If you are buying SW for profit your buying for the wrong reason!... there too much crap on the market and too many companies that hold a licence. The only way for SW collectables to go back up is if lucas puts out more movies that are DECENT.

Thats the only way i can foresee pricing to rasie. Compare it too the comic book movie frenzy right now.

Uh... take it from someone who's spent over $100k on comics in my lifetime. That's grossly out of context. Comics are not worth what the price guides say they are. That'd be damn great, but not even realistic. They're worth what people will pay for them. Supply and demand. And with ebaY auctions running by the buttload, comics are worth no where near as much as they should be. The "demand" is being met by an easily accessible "supply."

Example: The 1st appearance of Punisher in Amazing Spider-Man #129 should sell for about $350 per the price guides. I bought it in NM condition off of ebaY for $75. Then, once you factor in the growing popularity of graphic novels, that lowers the demand even further. While a movie might boost interest in a particular property, it doesn't necessarily mean a boost in value.

The same can be said for the Star Wars license. Right now, there is an overabundance of Star Wars products on the market meeting demand with an overabundance of supply. The vintage toys really shot up in value during the great Star Wars drought from the late 80's to late 90's. Once the animated series and the live-action TV show dry up, the licensed products will start increasing in value. I can tell you this much. I honestly never would've imagined that my vintage 3 3/4" Star Wars collection would easily be worth a down payment on a house.