What's the best incarnation of C-3PO and R2D2?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icruise

Super Freak
Reaction score
Recently I've been thinking a lot about everyone favorite pair of droids for some reason. I was wondering what people thought the best collectible versions of C-3PO and R2D2 have been. Anything is allowed -- toys, statues, figures, trash cans :)lol), whatever. It doesn't necessarily have to be the most accurate -- just the one you like the best, or that has made the biggest impression on you.

If your up for a bit of model making ?

c3po-1.jpg

My sentimental favorite Artoo is the vintage Kenner 12"-scale one with the removable Death Star plans. It was more in-scale than the modern Hasbro versions too!

I haven't looked for a photo of it, but around 1980, I got my niece an R2 toybin. As I recall, it was more or less actual size and the body was made out of particle board -- except for the head/top, which was plastic. She loved it.

The life-size ones from SS are the best IMO :rock

They are actually some of the worst, if the pics are any indication. They are full of inaccuracies. Stuff only a perfectionist might care about, but stuff that definitely prevents these from being "best" anything.

They are actually some of the worst, if the pics are any indication. They are full of inaccuracies. Stuff only a perfectionist might care about, but stuff that definitely prevents these from being "best" anything.

The only inaccuracy I know of is that C-3PO's eyes are too big. What are the others?

I would have to say I am partial to my Life size fully robotic R2D2, that I built myself. He is 99.9% movie accurate and has been used in several events and many of us builders had our droids in the Star wars Films as well, So i kinda think that would say a lot.

But this one is Super Cool also:

r2d2.png

It is the Kaiyodo resin kit (made the mistake of buying the r2 unit but the casts shapes too distorted to be of any use)

I cut out the belly area and used sculpey with thin wire strands. that way I clambered back a millimetres on height, its still shorter than SS but tbh I enjoyed making it and it was about $20 including the postage, it is 100% better than the vintage Hasbro abomination I was using so Im happy.

I also used some screws in his head and shoulders so I got some limited movement

c3po-2.jpg

c3po-3.jpg

It is the Kaiyodo resin kit (made the mistake of buying the r2 unit but the casts shapes too distorted to be of any use)

I cut out the belly area and used sculpey with thin wire strands. that way I clambered back a millimetres on height, its still shorter than SS but tbh I enjoyed making it and it was about $20 including the postage, it is 100% better than the vintage Hasbro abomination I was using so Im happy.

I also used some screws in his head and shoulders so I got some limited movement

c3po-2.jpg

c3po-3.jpg

Stunning work on that Threpio Mooncat!

Back