Sideshow Firefly Figures Please!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaward

Super Freak
Reaction score
Firefly Fanatic and I began discussing this in another board, but it was best to give this topic a thread. I don't think I am the only one that feels that Sideshow could further empty our pocketbooks by exploring the rest of the Whedonverse. I think Firefly figures would do incredibly well for them. While the timing may not be perfect with nothing available to coincide with the movie, I think that all of the Firefly Fans would follow this line.
My suggestions for figures would be the following:

Captain Malcolm Reynolds (with browncoat of course)
Exclusive "Pre-Cynical" War Era Mal with cross.
Zoe Warren
Exclusive War Era Zoe, in her warrior-woman gear.
Jayne Cobb (with the hat from his ma)
Exlcusive "Fancy Jayne" for the excursion to the heart of gold
Kaylee Frye (in her mechanic's gear)
Exclusive Kaylee in her dress from Shindig
Hoban "Wash" Washburn (Would come with dinosaurs)
Exclusive Wash with mustache
Simon Tam (Regular version-Take your pick)
Exclusive Hospital Scrubs Simon
River Tam (Again, Take your pick)
Exclusive Space Suit River
Inara Merra - I guess just two different outfits, I can't think of anything episode specific for Inara
Shepard Book-Regular Version in ponytail
Exclusive Book with hair out!
And for the guest stars (Because hey, the buffy line has a der kinderstod figure, so why not!)
Jubal Early-because you have to have a villian, especially one as bizarre and truly frightening as Jubal (Bob. A Fett anyone?)
Saffron-She could come with the Lassiter
Tracey-Could come with his own coffin (and would be perfect for BTVS and Angel line as well!)
Last but not least, the statue of Jayne from Jaynestown would be a great polystone piece, ala the POTA lawgiver statue)
Any other ideas? Would this fly, or is this all just wishful thinking?

Until then, I still have to deal with the constant barrage from LOTR items on my wallet. Sheesh...

firefly figures

sign me up for everything on your list! i didn't watch the show when it was on tv, but got the dvd set and fell in love with the show -- can't believe it was canceled :( -- can't wait for the movie tho'!

For those of you not familiar with Firefly there is a movie opening September 30th called Serenity which is the big screen movie for this series. People who haven't seen the show will still be able to enjoy the movie without needing to know the background.

Love your list!!! I'd love to see an Inarra figure with both hair up and down - she's beautiful either way so I'm sure it would be a big seller.

I'd even like a Jayne with a slash across his chest where River attacked him!

Ooh, how about as an exclusive item for River that little box thing that Simon had her in?!!

And to go with Kaylee and her Shindig dress I'd love to see Mal in his gussied up clothing too with a saber to go with him and his tightpants!

And would also love to see some replica of Serenity herself! To scale for the crew to fit in would be wonderful but huge and too expensive for anyone to buy so a little one would still be great to have.

I don't know that a line that deep would be supported, but I'd buy everything. The only two characters I'd really be interested beyond the initial 9 is Saffron and the bounty hunter from the last episode - he was really cool.

And the Mudder "Jane" statue is a brilliant idea as an environment.

If the Mal from Shindig were to be made, then perhaps it could be a two-pack, with Larry Drake! Get ready all of you L.A. Law fans! I wouldn't be sad if they made Andrew Bryniarski, just to let him get kicked into the engine of Serenity, or the creepy guys with blue gloves. "Two by Two, with hands of blue."

I felt ashamed with myself when I hadnt picked up Firefly set, so I watched the movie and i was blown away. joss is my master! everything joss does is brilliant.

BRING ON SIESHOW FIREFLY FIGS!!

I posted this on the FireflyFan board forever ago but I can't remember if I did here so here it is

I would absolutely LOVE 1/6 scale action figures and I think Sideshow is the company to do them. Not only are they the master of this field they have an added advantage being able re-use many of their existing knives and molds for these figures. Just as action figures are made with molds, clothing (for toys and people) is made with knives that cut big blocks of cloth in to the individual pieces that make up a clothing item. So by re-using the knives on these figures they can save the money and time because a.) They already have the knives b.) They don’t have to waste time trying different patterns and cuts to find what will work c.) They know how the clothing will fit on their standard bodies.

The same can be said for the molded components (heads, hands, foot wear, and accessories) but in reverse. Pieces made for a Firefly line can be re-used for the Buffy/Angel line especially since 4 of the 9 cast members appeared on those shows (3 of which were big multi-episode baddies). Here are some examples of what I’m talking about.

Malcolm Reynolds

Head: new sculpt (can be re-use for Caleb in Buffy line)
Shirt: Wyatt Earp shirt in Maroon, dark blue or tan
Pants: any of the Civil Wars pants in khaki w/added black stripe
Jacket: US Infantry Officer Army of the Potomac uniform coat in brown ‘leather’
Footwear: Taylor - Astronaut boots in brown
Accessories: holster, Mal’s gun (modified Bedford Forrest’s gun), gloved hands (Gorilla Enforcer), food block, cross necklace (Buffy)

Zoë Walburn

Head: new sculpt (can be re-use for Jasmine in Angel line)
Shirt: Dana Scully shirt in navy w/ shorten sleeves w/’leather’ vest – new item
Pants: Anna Valerious pants in tan
Jacket: Graduation Buffy jacket in a beige canvas
Footwear: Jinx boots in brown
Accessories: Necklace (just string), holster, Zoë’s gun (modified Billy the Kid), gloved hands (Xenia Onatopp), apple, knife (Jinx)

Jayne Cobb

Head: new sculpt (can be re-used for Hamilton in Angel line)
Shirt: Spike t-shirt in tan with iron-on ‘rowdy play’/’solider’
Pants: Platoon pants in light tan
Jacket: N/A
Footwear: Spike boots in beige
Accessories: thigh holster rig, Jayne’s gun, Vera, knitted hat, second t-shirt – red w/flaming 28 (spike)

Kaylee Frye

Head: new sculpt
Shirt: Faith shirt in pagoda print
Pants: woman’s coveralls - new item
Jacket: General Jeb Stuart jacket in a turquoise Asian print
Footwear: flip-flop – New sculpt
Accessories: strawberry in a box, engine part, birthday cake, parasol

Inara

Shirt: dress from Bushwhacked – new item(can be re-use for May Queen Cordelia in the Buffy line)
Pants: N/A
Footwear: Prophecy Girl Buffy dress shoes
Accessories: syringe in a box (syringe from Eye of the Beholder nurse), tea set, hour glass, bobble head geisha

River Tam

Head: new sculpt (can be re-use for Russian Ballerina chick in Angel line)
Shirt: modified version Prophecy Girl Buffy dress in pink, Willow sweater in red
Pants: N/A
Footwear: New Sculpt
Accessories: ‘ice planet’ treat, ball and jacks, leafed branch, big shiny gun

Shepard Book

Shirt: cleric shirt - new item (can be re-use for Caleb in Buffy line)
Pants: Spike pants
Jacket: US 100th Pennsylvania Infantry jacket in black
Footwear: Angel shoes in black
Accessories: bible (Frank Black), ‘tall card’ game cards, shotgun (Evil Dead), extra crazy-haired head

Wash Walburn

Shirt: Spike shirt in a Hawaiian fabric/ Spike t-shirt in black
Pants: Goldeneye Bond Coveralls in burnt orange
Footwear: Platoon boots in black
Accessories: toy dinos, ‘metal’ poker cards, tiny handgun (Goldeneye Bond), ‘Cry Baby’

Simon Tam

Shirt: Der Kindestod shirt in white/ Der Kindestod vest in Navy
Pants: Der Kindestod pants in black
Jacket: Der Kindestod
Footwear: Abe Lincoln shoes in black
Accessories: med kit, drug gun, scalpel (Gentlemen), medically gloved hands (Dr. No)

Koipond,

I thought it might be economical for Sideshow to pursue this line, considering their historical and military figures might provide a good source of re-use! I just didn't expect them to be able to use so many additional pieces! Do you already work for Sidehow? If not, send them a resume!

As much as I'd like a Firefly line- I'd want to discourage re-use in any form. I've noticed that SSC has avoided it in a lot of cases where it could work - such as trench coat patterns, etc. Just say NO to re-use!

I also wouldn't be too happy about them re-using stuff because I like the uniqueness of each Sideshow figure. For example, how boring would all the Buffy figures be if they just used the same mold for each of them. I like that Sideshow gives each new figure of a character a different look so I wouldn't want to see Caleb and Mal have the same exact mold used.

Caleb and Mal wouldn't have to be the same mold, I think the head sculpts is someplace where they'd never use the EXACT same design. But they could easily be based on a previous figure, like all the Buffy's come from the same basic sculpt.

My problem would be using patterns and accessories that may be close, but aren't exact to the source material.

Koi pond suggested they could use the same head molds for the actors who were on all three shows but glad to hear you say Dave that they wouldn't do that. I see that they seem to do that on the 6" figures a lot and I don't like it. You just see the same face with different outfits.

To be fair to DST, they usually resculpt the hair when they re-use the head. This is similar to what sSC has done, especially with Buffy and Angel.

i wasn't thinking of the EXACT same head for these guys. i was thinking either using a head (which has gone through the endless rounds of likeness approval) and sculpting new hair/facial hair/etc onto it or even more cost effectively, retooling the molds.

and as for Sideshow using/not using items and clothing agian, i think everyone is forgeting how much of it Sideshow does it now. ;) GD/Nightmares Buffy, Faith and Vampire Willow share the same pants and PG Buffy, Drusilla and i would bet money, Darla share the same shoes. this is not a bad thing. Sideshow spends alot of time devloping clothing to fit right and i would prefer re-use of items we know to look good then new for the sake of new. it allows them to spend time getting proper assessories and creating new and exciting things then wasting time re-inventing the wheel (or T-shirt in this case).

but these are just my two cents

While I would also hate to see re-use abuse, I think if it is done correctly it can be an ok thing. If sideshow has sculpted gloved hands that would work well for Mal in a previous line, or sized and seamed a T-shirt with nicely scaled fabric, I don't see the harm in re-using the mold or pattern. I can't imagine that Sideshow would try to provide "Off-the-rack" items for figures when it would lessen the quality of the product. For instance, Mal's browncoat is so specific, that it would be silly to re-use another item to recreate this. But if the shoe fits (several characters), wear it! I really do hope that they decide to pursue this line. Hopefully the movie does enormous business, and is well-received. I just read the first two issues of the comic and I like where things are headed!!

Of course, tshirts and pants are fine to re-use I think. I'd hate to see a Firefly figure with Custer's pistol for example. Or Mal's duster as just Van Helsing's in a different color.

Back