A brand spankin' new idea...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, preferably 1:4, but even at 1:6 ---

I'd like to see a figure -- I mean I'D BUY IN A HEARTBEAT -- a figure of Lon Chaney (Sr.) in everday work attire...not in makeup...as himself...

I own the 1:6 Larry Talbot figure, which means I've basically got the son as himself...but Chaney Sr...!!!...that would be so cool...

I think this has come up before, and it was suggested he come with his makeup box. I don't know that I'd buy a PF like this, but definitely would get the 1/6.

This kit says it all:

chny1.jpg

chny2.jpg

Chaney Sr has come up before. As have Karloff and Lugosi. They would all be great 1:6 additions. If I remember correctly, that Chaney model is 1:6 too.

Jeff Yeagher - Janus garage kit Chaney

The kit is still available from Janus, and costs $330 unbuilt and unpainted. I've seen it built, and like most 1:6 garage kits, it seems a tad larger than the figures from Sideshow. (Note to historians: did you know Sideshow traces its roots back to garage kits? I'd KILL to find a Sideshow Schlitzie from Freaks, but that's another story...)

I have this kit (got it quite a bit cheaper from Chaney.com, the family's website) and will probably hire a buildup artist to do it justice, as it's a bit beyond my skills...and my eyes...but it depicts Chaney trying on a set of false teeth as he prepares for his next assignment.

I think of Chaney as much more than a horror actor -- as the greatest character actor Hollywood ever saw. I'd just love a premium figure of the man as he really looked. And yes, the makeup kit would be great. The kit in this model was sculpted by Mr Janus himself, John Ulakovic, and is highly accurate. Chaney's makeup kit is examined on the extras on the DVD of "The Penalty." The figures in the kit were sculpted by Jeff Yeagher, who is one of the best and most prolific sculptors out there, as well as an excellent actor himself -- he killed Lili Taylor in "Six Feet Under."

Frankly though, I think Jeff Yeagher's sculpting talents came to full bloom sometime after he did this one. It's a little rough, and the characters on the pedestals are bad likenesses that seem to come from the James Cagney biopic. And the choice to have Chaney grimacing into a mirror to try out a set of false choppers makes it less a portrait. (Yeagher's current work comes out through several companies, chief among them XOFacto.com. John Tucky, who runs XOFacto, often previews Jeff's latest at https://www.theclubhouse1.net/forums/ where you'll also see some of "Sideshow Andy" Hulkfan's other fine work.)

If any of you are interested in the Chaney kit, you can contact John Ulakovic at [email protected]. His website and the ordering fax number listed there are unreliable, but he responds to email quickly. Janus is a one-man operation, you see. I just bought John's Karloff & Pierce kit, sculpted by Thomas Kuntz, which depicts Karloff in an old-fashioned makeup chair, reading Variety while Pierce transforms him into Frankenstein. Now there's a helluva sculpt.

I've never posted about garage kits, my "other" passion, here before. In case you're not familiar with them, know that if you need to hire an artist to build it, you can probably double the cost. It's an expensive hobby, and kits disappear fast. Oh, and you'll need to know what recasting is, and avoid purchasing anything from Thailand. So basically, buyer beware: these things are a lot of work. They don't glue together like the styrene kits of old. They're heavy, and often need to be drilled and pinned with metal pins.

Which is why a lazy old bear like me still pines for a Sideshow mixed-media statue of the greatest character actor of all time, as he really looked, in period clothes holding his makeup kit and a rolled-up script, all ready to be unboxed and displayed in my office. I can dream, can't I?

The kit is titled "Lon Chaney The Man of 1000 Faces." I had one back-ordered from Monsters in Motion last year but, they never came through with it and no longer offer it on their site.

The Chaney Store at Lon Chaney.com is sold-out, too. They describe it as follows:

• 12" x 17" Resin Multi-Character Scene
  • Finely detailed, 28 piece kit with 3 character busts and famous makeup kit.
  • $195
There is another great kit of Jack Pierce seated, with Karloff as the Monster standing behind him with his hand on Pierce's shoulder. I know I have a pic of it somewhere but, I'll be damned if I can find it.

Here's another interesting kit: Frankenstein Makeup Call Diorama

I'd love to see a "Men Behind the Monsters" tribute line in 1/6 as companions to the creatures they created and, I'd definitely buy a PF Karloff and Chaney, Sr. I'd be all over statue dioramas like the Chaney kit, above.

ir.jpg

I just bought John's Karloff & Pierce kit, sculpted by Thomas Kuntz, which depicts Karloff in an old-fashioned makeup chair, reading Variety while Pierce transforms him into Frankenstein. Now there's a helluva sculpt.

Is my abnormal brain confusing this kit with the one I described, above or, are there indeed two different tribute kits?

Tribute kits

FF, I've never seen one with Karloff standing behind Pierce. When I get some issues with my host settled (new server) I'll link up some photos of the kit I've ordered and received (it was delivered in two days). Meanwhile, you can see it at the Janus website, https://www.januscompany.com/

As for the Chaney tribute pictured in the posts above -- yep, I got the last one from Chaney.com several months back, and as I said, quite a bit cheaper -- the cheapest I've ever seen it, and I think they may have just made a mistake. It's still in the box, and I will actually get it built. But it is still available from the manufacturer -- also Janus. If you visit, take a look at some of the kits he's no longer producing and weep.

But as noted, it's a much more expensive hobby than 1:6 action figures.

By the way, at https://www.forbidden-zone.biz/sof.htm you can check out Andy's three figure kit of Bela as Ygor, Karloff as Frankenstein, and Rathbone as the Son of. Hulk may not know much, but him know Hulkfan sure keep busy.

I was hoping you could verify it for me, Gruff. I'm not clever enough to come up with something like that on my own, so I'm certain it must be out there, somewhere.

I have seen the Karloff/Pierce piece, no doubt inspired by this publicity still:

karloff_makeup_chair.jpg

I've been tempted over and over again to stick my toe in the garage kit waters but, like you, I like the instant gratification that comes with a ready-to-display piece. Besides, I've neither the luxury of time nor the gift of expert skill required to build and paint these wonderful creations.

Good to see you back again, Gruff. You always have something meaningful and insightful to say and, I 'm always more informed after reading your posts.

drprtrs.gif

The figures in the kit were sculpted by Jeff Yeagher, who is one of the best and most prolific sculptors out there, as well as an excellent actor himself -- he killed Lili Taylor in "Six Feet Under."

And let's not forget he was Kyle Bates in "V" !!! Another series of figures I wish Sideshow would consider doing justice to.

Thanks FF

Thanks very much for your kind words. I have been away a while, and it's nice to know anyone noticed.

I always like your "prospective figure" banners, and they probably do more to inspire Sideshow than any words we write here. Maleva the Gypsy -- please, Sideshow! Did you know she was a sought after private acting coach who had studied under Konstantin Stanislavsky? And was also resented and feared by directors because she accompanied her students to their film sets? I'm pretty sure one such was James Dean...but it might have been Monty Clift...my brain cells are dying off as I age.

I had never seen that photo of Pierce and Karloff -- who's the other makeup artist, is it Westmore? If so, Mr. Kuntz blew it!

I will now be on the lookout for a kit with a standing Karloff honoring a seated Jack Pierce...

Good to see you back again, Gruff. You always have something meaningful and insightful to say and, I 'm always more informed after reading your posts.

I was just about to post the same thing. Good call FF.

Also, thanks for the nod to the S.O.F kit. :) Any big Classic Monster fan should definitely check out that site (forbiddenzone), he's got some doozies (same goes for POTA fans).

Oh, and for the record.... I completely stand behind the 'tribute figure' idea. I would be first (er, 3rd or 4th, evidently) in line to buy a Bela, Boris, and/or Lon as 'themselves' figure.

Andy, don't you as a sculpter for Sideshow have any say in what could/is made? It seems there is enough demand for at least a site exclusive figure of these classic actors. Any way you could get the bosses to consider them?

Yes and no. The team values everyone's input, but it's more complicated than just saying "I think that would be cool.... let's make it!". Anyway, the 'bosses' don't need my help for these ideas to be considered... They're all big fans and I know the subject has been brought up in the past.

Gruff Old Bear said:
Did you know she was a sought after private acting coach who had studied under Konstantin Stanislavsky? And was also resented and feared by directors because she accompanied her students to their film sets? I'm pretty sure one such was James Dean...but it might have been Monty Clift...my brain cells are dying off as I age.

I had never seen that photo of Pierce and Karloff -- who's the other makeup artist, is it Westmore? If so, Mr. Kuntz blew it!
I know she got into film to fund her acting school, the Maria Ouspenskaya School of Dramatic Arts. She was also nominated for a supporting actress Oscar in 1936, for her first film, "Dodsworth," in which she appeared for a mere four minutes! John Garfield was one of her students, as well.

Don't know if that's Westmore assisting Pierce, but, it's a good guess!

Here's a few more photos of Karloff being transformed into the Monster during (L-R) "Frankenstein," "Bride of Frankenstein," and "Son of Frankenstein." These are from former "Castle of Frankenstein" editor Calvin Thomas Beck's book, "Heroes of the Horrors."

krlff_prc.jpg

Being a Chaneyphile, you probably have these in your collection but, in case not:

chny_mkp.jpg

chny_4fcs.jpg

They're from Denis Gifford's "A Pictorial History of Horror Movies."

Edit: Chaney is prepping for "A Blind Bargain" in the first pic.

Last edited:
Cool pix! Very neat to see the progression of Karloff's look from the original '31 film thru 'Son'. I've always thought 'Son' was underrated actually, it's one of my fav's.

Sideshow Andy said:
Cool pix! Very neat to see the progression of Karloff's look from the original '31 film thru 'Son'. I've always thought 'Son' was underrated actually, it's one of my fav's.

Lavish, shadowy sets and masterful performances by Lugosi and Atwill certainly distinguish "Son" but, sadly, this film tolled the bell for the Monster. After Karloff's achingly poignant portrayal in "Frankenstein," followed by his brilliant turn in "Bride," it was a major letdown for me to to see all of that forgotten, and the Monster reduced to the shambling brute he would forever after remain.

Karloff was 44 in "Frankenstein," 48 in "Bride" and 52 in "Son." Here, at 75, he assumes the guise of the Monster for the final time for a role in the classic TV series, "Route 66."

krlff_rt66.jpg

The 1962 Halloween special, "Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing," also featured appearances by Peter Lorre as himself and Lon Chaney, Jr., as the Wolf Man.

Note the "Son of Frankenstein" reference photo in the first panel.

Back