Say it ain't so! Ratner directing new Conan film!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krypto

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.dreadcentral.com/story/exclusive-brett-ratner-considering-conan

Exclusive: Brett Ratner Considering Conan?

Conan to be in the hands of ... Ratner?While this may not be horror in the strictest sense, sometimes some news comes along that just makes your stomach turn and you have to get it out there.

We got word today that Nu Image is offering the long-awaited new Conan movie to, of all people, Brett Ratner. Over the years there have been so directors circling this project, everyone from Robert Rodriguez to Rob Zombie, the fact that Brett Ratner might actually attach himself to this and make it a reality is almost enough to make one wish they’d just stop trying to bring Robert E. Howard’s creation back to the big screen.

We’ll wait until we get some more solid details on this before giving up completely, but if Ratner does get it, I think it’ll be pretty clear that Nu Image doesn’t give a single hell what the fans want to see from a new Conan movie. How could they possibly think he'd be able to do a movie like this any justice? What films has he directed that indicate this would be a good fit?

- Johnny Butane

:banghead

Whew! Glad it's just a rumor. James McTeigue would be a good choice out of those selections.

But they really need to bring back Milius. He understands Howard and Conan.

Thank God! :banghead

Whoever they pick, several things need to be addressed. FORGET ARNOLD AND THE OTHER MOVIES.... The first was awesome, but still not Howard's Conan 100%. It had a few elements of his tales, primarily "Queen of the Black Coast", where many of the Valeria scenes were pulled from.

So more accuracy to Howard stories is needed. Maybe pick three stories that tie together rather nicely and make a badass trilogy that spans the life of Conan, from thief to pirate to king. Or Thief to Reaver to King. Whatever.

And another thing, getting an actor. No wrestler will do. They have huge muscles, true, but they can't act. Conan needs a decent actor. His range of emotion and inner struggle need to be evident in his eyes and character. Gerard Butler got huge for 300, so I would say a similar approach is needed here. Get a decent actor, that can actually act, and pay him to pack on muscle for a year. Help get the guy totally bulky and ripped, and then make the movie.

A great Conan film can be made. TRUST ME. If they can do Narnia and LOTR, lending great respect to the literary characters and situations, dammit they can give Howard and Conan the respect they deserve as well.

I would love to see any of these stories brought to life...

The Frost Giants Daughter
Queen of the Black Coast
Red Nails
The Tower of the Elephant
Black Colossus
Beyond the Black River
The Scarlet Citadel

So more accuracy to Howard stories is needed. Maybe pick three stories that tie together rather nicely and make a badass trilogy that spans the life of Conan, from thief to pirate to king. Or Thief to Reaver to King. Whatever.

That's what Milius was intending to do until De Laurentiis decided to PG Conan with Destroyer. Oh, what a mighty trio of films that would have been with Arnold and Milius.

However this film turns out, I doubt it's going to top Conan the Barbarian for me, a film that still to this day I consider the best Fantasy film ever, topping even Lord of the Rings. The first film had such a wonderful atmosphere and tone. It took no prisoners and made no apologies and I love it for that.

'tis a good thing it was debunked for surely that would be the first sign of the impending Apocalypse.

Depending on which movie they do depends on what actor they should choose. I am not really versed in the conan lore.... I did see the movies though, but if he started out as a thief then wouldn't he be of normal build with some muscle. I mean i can't see Arnold S. from the 80's playing a thief. I think if they are going to do a trilogy then the actor should bulk up in between movies. show a progression.

Back