Reading any DC comics these days?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaward

Super Freak
Reaction score
Since we have pages and pages devoted to the DC comics based toys and video games, I thought it might be okay to start a thread about DC titles on the shelves. I've been reading and really geeked out by the Grant Morrison stuff in the DCU. All-Star Superman is one of my favorite takes on Superman maybe ever, Batman R.I.P. has been all sorts of insane (and his Joker seems to have been a huge influence on Heath Ledger) and Final Crisis has been a cool read. Anybody else reading some good DCU stuff?

I actually tried to start since I stoped with all marvel and spiderman, recently even ultimate spiderman got stupid imo but to me the dc storys aren´t even written that great either, especiall all that different earth stuff, only because it gets complex it doesn´t get better, but I REALLY like the paperbacks.
Stuff like killing joke, the dark knight returns, you know. Thos awesome fat comic books, that are pretty much just like a book mixed with your favorite thriller dvd, only illustrated and more charactre driven than your average "dudes in underwear beating people" experience.
So, if I come around some, I do read them and really recommend those far above the normal issues.
PLus, I hate to wait one month or 2 weeks for the continue of a story.

Everyone stop what you are doing right now and go out and grab as many copies of Geoff Johns Green Lantern run as you can right now. Doesn't matter if you are a Marvel or DC fanboy. Just do it.

Cool, Glad you enjoyed The Dark Knight and The Killing Joke. Have you read Long Halloween or Arkham Asylum? Both are excellent Batman stories, highly recommended!

Trades are much easier on the shelf and on the wallet, but I try to get a couple of titles a month to keep reading stuff in single issues. The multiverse DC stuff gets out of hand, so I try to ignore some of that and plow on.

Everyone stop what you are doing right now and go out and grab as many copies of Geoff Johns Green Lantern run as you can right now. Doesn't matter if you are a Marvel or DC fanboy. Just do it.

How long has Geoff Johns been writing? I've liked his stuff in the past...just never been a big GL fan.

I tend to only pick up DC in Graphic Novel format (I've never really been a Marvel fan - can enjoy the odd story) I like to display the books and I don't have a room to store comics as well.

How long has Geoff Johns been writing? I've liked his stuff in the past...just never been a big GL fan.

Since issue #1. Actually the Rebirth mini series before that.

It's up to #34 now and it's the first time I can say that Green Lantern is a great book.

I'm also reading Batman but Grant Morrison is so complex I always feel a little stupid reading it.

I haven't picked up a new DC/Marvel book in a while, but call me crazy...I'm loving this graphic novel.

all-star-batman-hc-1_thumb.jpg

I hated issue #1 when it first came out (like 95% of readers), but I ended up getting the collected volume and I'm glad I did.

It's certainly different, but I can't help loving it.

I also only tend to pick up the Batman TPB, too, I just recently got The Dark Knight Returns, very good book. The only others I have are The Long Halloween and Knightfall (the 3 books), which still is my favorite, as Bane simply is my favorite villain.
I want to get The Killing Joke, Year One, Hush and Arkham Asylum next, I always hear good things about them.

I always thought DC was like Coke (older generation) and Marvel was like Pepsi (new generation).

I'll admit I'm not a regular reader of comics. I think the last graphic novel series I read was Marvel Comics Civil War. I've read The Killing Joke and Year One from DC.

Other good GN I should look for?

Batman Confidential, Batman, Detective Comics, All Star Batman and Robin, Batman and Superman, Batman Gotham after Midnight, and ...Ambush Bug :sick

More of a Batman fan than anything else, but I've been reading plenty of that lately. Paul Dini (Batman The Animated Series Writer) is running things on Detective Comics at the moment and his stories are amazing. Most of them are one offs or two parters (in the style of the animated series) and you don't really need to know much about current continuity to enjoy them so I'd recommend them.

Some of the Batman Superman stories are pretty good. I liked Enemies Among Us, an alien invasion story with a difference and am just about to read the arc where Batman and Superman decide to get rid of all the Kryptonite on Earth. The only DC story I haven't enjoyed of late was Joker's Last Laugh, which is pretty appauling and all over the place. Resurrection Of R'as Al Ghul was good though.

I don't collect individual comics anymore aside from All-Star Superman, which is just super in every possible way. Sad to see it come to an end with the next issue. I always wait for the trade paperback's anymore. It's cheaper and you can read an entire storyline at once. I buy pretty much exclusively DC. The only Marvel character I collect are the Garth Ennis Punisher trades (I have all of them, I think) and the Dark Horse Conan trades. Everything else is DC and mostly Superman and Batman with a lot of JLA and JSA mixed in.

Does anyone have any Absolute Editions? These are so cool. I have World's Greatest Superheroes, Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns/Dark Knight Strikes Again, Hush, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Long Halloween.

Is "The Dark Knight Returns" really that good?
I saw a couple of drawings from it and the least I can say is that Frank Miller's style is, well, different... Doesn't really look like Batman to me.
But I guess I'd have to read the whole thing before making any hasty conclusions.

Is "The Dark Knight Returns" really that good?
I saw a couple of drawings from it and the least I can say is that Frank Miller's style is, well, different... Doesn't really look like Batman to me.
But I guess I'd have to read the whole thing before making any hasty conclusions.

Yeah you really should read it. The art isn't amazing, but once the story grabs you, you realize that the art is perfect for the book's tone.

Is Batman and GL are the only good story lines in DC?

Some Supes comics are awesome---but you'll need to be selective. All Star Superman was good, and of course the whole "Death of Supes" run was amazing. Also, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is worth looking at. Lastly (almost forgot), Brian Azarello's run on Superman w/ Jim Lee was enjoyable. Nothing groundbreaking, but worth the read.

Also pick up "Trinity", which is a Bat, Supes and Wonder Woman book. Pretty good stuff. And look at "DC the New Frontier". That's an amazing book.

I don't collect individual comics anymore aside from All-Star Superman, which is just super in every possible way. Sad to see it come to an end with the next issue. I always wait for the trade paperback's anymore. It's cheaper and you can read an entire storyline at once. I buy pretty much exclusively DC. The only Marvel character I collect are the Garth Ennis Punisher trades (I have all of them, I think) and the Dark Horse Conan trades. Everything else is DC and mostly Superman and Batman with a lot of JLA and JSA mixed in.

Does anyone have any Absolute Editions? These are so cool. I have World's Greatest Superheroes, Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns/Dark Knight Strikes Again, Hush, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and Long Halloween.

All Star Supes is ending? :monkey2

I loved vol. 1, although I hate 99% of Grant Morrison's stuff.

BTW, I left Ennis' Punisher run after the first volume. Is the rest of it on-par with "Welcome Back Frank"? (which is by the way, one of the greatest graphic novels ever written)

Back