Wonder Woman: The Movie.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
This is quite a change from Whedon but here is the latest....

Wonder Woman directed by The Wachowskis??
September 11, 2008

Let me be honest with you for a second. My desire to see a Wonder Woman movie ends at my desire to see a hot chick run around in that sexy, star-spangled swimsuit.

That being said, some recent news circulating around the internet has the potential movie based on the sexiest Amazonian ever being directed by The Wachowskis. They're some of the most misunderstood directors in the business today and I think they could really put together a movie worth watching.

Yes, their best movie is more than five years old. No, they wouldn't put together anything quite as awesome as Joss Whedon. Larry and Andy Wachowski have at least injected some original flavor into the overwhelming banality of modern blockbuster films.

I think that type of mindset could really work for a character that had her start as a fetishistic heroine and who could now be best described as a female version of Superman.

In any event, people have been trying to make this movie since the '70s, so until something solid comes around, we'll just have to dream.

This is one of those Internet things where a throwaway line in one article is built into a "story" through Chinese whispers. This is all down to an interview with Joel Silver where he said the Wachowskis pitched a Wonder Woman concept a few years ago that was never taken up and speculated they might still be interested. There's no movement, and Silver indicated the studio was actually not interested in using the writer/director approach for this property after the Whedon thing fell apart.

Wachowskis attempting Wonder Woman = epic fail, IMNSHO.

The thing is, the studios give these directors the movie (any comic movie), but the directors don't get the right story. Give it to any director they want, but make sure the director uses Greg Rucka's Down to Earth as the story. Eyes of the Gorgon is the obvious sequel. You also have a couple of Rucka stories that have Wonder Woman AND Batman (The Hiketeia and Bitter Rivals).

If this is true..........

darth_vader_nooo.jpg

From a writer/director into female empowerment, to a writer/director into being a female. At least Larry can bring a female point of view to it.

Joss Whedon was so perfect for this, I don't see anyone else being right.

Warner Bros is 1 for 2 in the writer/director controlling a comic book property. (Turning over Batman to Nolan worked, turning over Superman to Singer did not).

Most studios prefer to hire a writer, beat him down with studio notes and then bring in a director that can focus on the merchandising possibilities. At least that's Fox's formula. However this method worked for Iron Man (maybe because Marvel was the studio).

Wonder Woman is very tricky - she's had so many different incarnations it's difficult to pin down how she should be treated in a feature film.

Joss Whedon was so perfect for this, I don't see anyone else being right.

The only thing that worried me about Whedon was his whole "you couldn't have her running around in star-spangled panties" remark.

As bizarre as that may sound, he's already going down a slippery-slope by straying from the source material. In another blink of the eye you could have another GI JOE:Rise of Cobra on your hands.

I realize the guy understand comics, and it was probably a stupid concern on my part, but it almost seemed like the equivalent of taking away Superman's cape. :dunno

Awesome Fan Made poster hits. I like the interpretation of the costume.

poster_wonderwoman-poster.jpg

I like it. The Eagle head is a clever way to cover up the cleavage, making the outfit a bit more modest and therefore she can be taken a little bit more seriously. PLUS it actually looks like armor! She isn't just a bikini wearing woman that kicks butt. Lets hope they go a similar route!

Yea, I like that a lot - my first thought was "Xena!" which is a good thing. I don't know that they need the cleavage, but I guess it would be missed. Who's the actress?

The fan poster looks like Jennifer Connely.
I've always preferred the Eagle over the double W, but I think DC has issues with the eagle, I remember reading that DC didn't want Alex Ross to use the eagle symbol in his books.
I think the reason is the eagle symbol is from the first version of WW in the 40's when Dian's mother Hippolyta wore the symbol. Diana Prince wears the double W.

I've always preferred the Eagle over the double W, but I think DC has issues with the eagle, I remember reading that DC didn't want Alex Ross to use the eagle symbol in his books.
I think the reason is the eagle symbol is from the first version of WW in the 40's when Dian's mother Hippolyta wore the symbol. Diana Prince wears the double W.

DC wanted something they could trademark, like the "S" shield and bat emblem. That's why they went with the double W. I doubt a movie costume would have the same restriction - look at the Batman emblem.

The fanmade I believe is a completely CG image which means it could have pieces of Munn and Connelly and who knows who else like they did with the teaser Witchblade poster. As for the "cleavage" I think its not a necessary thing as the modern take on Wonder Woman has her less akind to her Greek roots than I would prefer. If they have an actress with a large chest it'll show whether you get boob crack or not...

I really hope they go with a more Greek looking actress maybe even head over there to see if there are any unknowns with the look as well as the acting chops.

DC wanted something they could trademark, like the "S" shield and bat emblem. That's why they went with the double W. I doubt a movie costume would have the same restriction - look at the Batman emblem.

Makes sense to me. It really comes down to the actress, if she's busty then it'll show regardless which emblem they use.

Not to mention, the eagle is a very "American" symbol. Wonder Woman isnt really the "all American girl" that she was portrayed as in the old show. She is very anti-government and American ways in many cases. So its just contradictory. Though from a marketing stand point for a movie....All American makes sense.

Not to mention, the eagle is a very "American" symbol. Wonder Woman isnt really the "all American girl" that she was portrayed as in the old show. She is very anti-government and American ways in many cases. So its just contradictory. Though from a marketing stand point for a movie....All American makes sense.

The eagle and/or the hawk were military symbols long before America existed, as are 5 pointed stars. There really wouldn't be any conflict with using those symbols.

Back