Is Chris Nolan On Track To Becoming The Best Director Ever?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonic The MadHOG

Super Freak
Reaction score
Land Of The True Scotsman (Yes Peeps I Don't Own A
I have to say I'm so impressed with the Nolan brothers sense of film making, they can take a complicated story & turn it into their own style of story telling, add the perfect actors who are up for the challenge in each role & create a masterpiece of cinematography.

Memento blew me away when I first saw it & Chris was on my watch list after that. Now after seeing Insomnia, The Prestige & the two Batman movies I'm pretty sure if Mr Nolan can keep creating such entertaining & mentally rewarding movies for the next thirty-forty years Hitchcock, Lucas, Scorsese, Spielberg & all the other legendary directors could be out shone
<script>playV2('en/US/df/dfsgdosjsjdohr');playV2('en/UK/df/dfsgdosjsjdohr')</script><object style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 3px;" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="18" width="28"></object>by him.

I do have one slight worry though, the more successful he becomes the more money film companies will give him to create big blockbuster movies. I just hope he doesn't turn his back on the lower budget movies that are all about the story & not about the great props & FX. I do love movies packed with FX but I love movies that just create suspense & play with my emotions too.

I just hope he can keep it up, he may have set himself up for a fall.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone in the arts could ever hold the title as "best ever." Having said that he is one of the few directors working right now that has never made a bad movie. He has a very bright career ahead of him and I'm excited to lift him up to the same level as other greats if he continues on his current path.

Yeah it is hard to say one is better than the other, his light is shining bright right now & if he creates thirty more movies that are of the same caliber or better than his first few then he will be the best in many peoples eyes. Can he sustain the level he's at just now though?, it's hard to see how he can but I do believe he'll pick his projects very carefully.

I was bored to tears by Insomnia... but the rest of his work has really been great. I think he is on the way to being one of the greats.

I was bored to tears by Insomnia... but the rest of his work has really been great. I think he is on the way to being one of the greats.

I think I loved Insomnia as much because I actually ended up imagining myself as Will Dormer & what he was going through. It was clever how Nolan took the story from an already successful Scandinavian version from 1997 & created a movie with it in his own classy style, it was a big risk for him. I know a few people that were disappointed with it though.

I dunno, maybe I need to rewatch it, but I was not impressed at all... but was really looking forward to seeing it at the time.

I remember liking "Following" as well, but can't really remember it too well now :lol

Nolan is def one of the best ever,I'm not sure if I'd say he's the greatest but he is very talented and he sealed his fate with The Dark Knight. He will always be remembered by that even if the rest of his movies from here on out were to suck.

I dunno, maybe I need to rewatch it, but I was not impressed at all... but was really looking forward to seeing it at the time.

I remember liking "Following" as well, but can't really remember it too well now :lol

Following was impressive & I think it was his stepping stone into Memento where his potential was realised! It's just a case of whether he goes up or down now, can he go much higher?

So far for me every Mainstream movie he has made has been excellent. Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige, BB and TDK.....So every movie he makes I really expect to be special. Plus you can tell when it is a Nolan film it has a very special feel and cinematography work to it. I would like to see him do some more movies though besides Batman. That is why I think the 3rd will be his last, so he can work on other projects.

I find his work extremely overated.....memento and insomnia bored the shat out of me and his Batman movies are average movies at best.

Nolan is def one of the best ever,I'm not sure if I'd say he's the greatest but he is very talented and he sealed his fate with The Dark Knight. He will always be remembered by that even if the rest of his movies from here on out were to suck.

I'm not too sure if he'll do a third Batman movie, again it would be a big risk but I'd personally love to see what he'd do with it.
<script>playV2('en/US/st/stskdssfsssgsgdysgsfyhh5h5');playV2('en/UK/st/stskdssfsssgsgdysgsfyhh5h5')</script>

Back