Bangkok Dangerous Biggest Film Flop in 5 years?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Nicolas Cage bombs at box office with "Bangkok"
Sunday September 7 2:21 PM ET

Less than a year after starring in the biggest movie of his volatile career, Nicolas Cage led the North American box office to its worst weekend in five years on Sunday with one of his weakest.

"Bangkok Dangerous," a thriller in which the 44-year-old actor plays a jaded assassin, opened at No. 1 with estimated three-day earnings of just $7.8 million, distributor Lionsgate said. While no one was expecting it to be a hit, industry observers had predicted it would earn more than $10 million.

The last box office champ to open lower was the David Spade comedy "Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star," which kicked off with $6.7 million during the weekend of September 5-7, 2003.

Overall ticket sales also fell to their lowest level since then, said tracking firm Media By Numbers. The top 12 films earned $51.6 million, up from $50.5 million that weekend.

Early September is traditionally a quiet time at the box office since the summer blockbuster season is over. The studios spend the early fall quietly dumping their underperforming movies on the market. "Bangkok Dangerous" was the only new wide release this weekend.

Lionsgate, a unit of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp, said it was happy with the film's opening and expected it to be profitable. Although the movie reportedly cost $45 million to make, Lionsgate acquired U.S. and Canadian rights for a modest sum from "The Departed" producer Graham King's Initial Entertainment Group.

The film is a remake of the 1999 Thai film of the same name, with both being directed by Hong Kong-born twin brothers Danny and Oxide Pang. The remake was not screened in advance for critics, which is rarely a good sign.

Cage has actually done a lot worse at the box office: His terrorism thriller "Next" opened to $7.1 million in April 2007 and the family drama "The Weather Man" to $4.2 million in 2005. But he was last in theaters with the biggest movie of his career, "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," The action sequel opened to $45 million in December on its way to $220 million.

After three weeks at No. 1, DreamWorks/Paramount's Hollywood satire "Tropic Thunder" slipped to No. 2 with $7.5 million, while Columbia Pictures' comedy "The House Bunny" rose one to No. 3 with $5.9 million in its third week. Their respective tallies stand at $97 million and $37 million.

DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures are units of Viacom Inc. Columbia Pictures is a unit of Sony Corp.

Anybody see this film? Is it any good?

I saw it. It wasn't any worse than other Nic Cage films. A lot of it made very little sense, such as this American assassin who speaks no Thai falling for a deaf Thai chemist. There aren't many interesting action scenes either.

Hmm, I guess it isn't very good...

When I saw Nicolas' hair I was done with the movie. ;)

my_hair_is_a_bird-257x300.jpg

This movie not only looked horrible... but has one of the worst titles I've ever seen. Bangkok Dangerous?!? Really, can't anyone have done better than that :lol

Also, Cage looks tired as hell; someone let that guy get a nap :monkey2

He's done a few really good movies (I think Lord of War was sadly overlooked by most people), but they're so few and far between. He definitely needs to make better decisions when looking at scripts.

And he does need to do something about his hair.

He's done a few really good movies (I think Lord of War was sadly overlooked by most people), but they're so few and far between. He definitely needs to make better decisions when looking at scripts.

Before Ghost Rider he was great, after....total epic fail.

Lord of War was really good, I had forgotten about that one in the midst of all his other crappy roles :lol

It still amazes me to this day that this ****** is still making movies. What was his last good movie? Raising Arizona??? I hate his acting and I hate his movies. Unfortunately my wife really likes him so I have to suffer through many of his movies :monkey4

He should really be in the direct to video club with Van Damme and Seagal.

oh now don't be to hard on cagey, i still remmember (unfortunately) sitting through THE WICKERMAN, that's two hours of my life i'll never get back. yep the days of The Rock and Gone In 60 Seconds are long gone for this man.
he needs to restart his career.

I agree. He has made some very poor movie choices in the last few years. I really like Cage though. National Treasure was great and then you have Wickerman :monkey4. From one extreme to the other.

I did like The Rock and Adaptation. So I guess he is not ALL bad.

I would say he is about 95% suck though.

Back