PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill: Homecoming

Moonloop
09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I love this franchise, my favorites would be Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 4: The Room. The feel of these games are eerie in a good and creepy way. Plus this new one is looking to be really promising. They have gone with a 3rd person camera and the fighting is now much more engaging. Comes out at the end of the month!

Videos:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/949/949650/vids_1.html

Achievements:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/silent-hill-homecoming/achievements/

Any other Silent Hill fans out there?

wofford29
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
Love it. 2 was my favorite.

Sniper33
09-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Part 2 was my favorite of the bunch, was never able to get part 4 though. From teh videos the game looks like its gonna be pretty good. Also

Pyramid Head's apperance seems kinda strange but he does look nice.

Silent Hill (all) and the first RE game are the only video games that have ever really scared me.

Fives
09-02-2008, 06:39 PM
can't wait for this one, it looks really cool, i also hope its really scary like the first one.

Sachiel
09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Got to play this for about 15 minutes at SDCC. Definitely feels like a Silent Hill game, but the handling is better. If you're worried about anything, there seems no reason to be.

Now were are my ^^^^ing figures?

Fives
09-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Got to play this for about 15 minutes at SDCC. Definitely feels like a Silent Hill game, but the handling is better. If you're worried about anything, there seems no reason to be.

Now were are my ^^^^ing figures?

thats a relief, although with the camera system similar to re4 you cant really go wrong.

EVILFACE
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
As long as the atmosphere is the same, I'm there.

wofford29
09-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Coming out next week.

Moonloop
09-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Damn right, game is looking great. Recent demos and ^^^^ have a lot of people pleased.

The Josh
09-27-2008, 11:05 AM
PO mine today. I know it comes out this week but I wanted to cover my ass.

wofford29
09-27-2008, 11:06 AM
I really hope this one is similar to the 2nd.

Matt S
09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Here is the new trailer from the Silent Hill widget site (actually old trailer with new elements, including altered lyrics for the song:

http://online.konamimobile.com/KDEOnline/SilentHill_Widget/Other/video/video2.html

I absolutely love the Silent Hill series (can you tell from my long used avatar pic of phead?) and have played em all - already have the new Brady guide for Homecoming.....so hard to wait for Wed....but I will be playing this until I beat it!

plasmid303
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
There's only one review out right now for the game, and it's not good.

Moonloop
09-27-2008, 08:08 PM
There's only one review out right now for the game, and it's not good.

Do you have a link?

plasmid303
09-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Do you have a link?

It's a magazine review (from Official Xbox Magazine), but here's a short excerpt and the score they gave it over at Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/silenthill5

I'll still get the game, I love the Silent Hill series.

Matt S
09-28-2008, 07:44 AM
She complained about broken doors, and shoddy combat...said first half was slow and second half rocked.

What makes a Silent Hill game: doors that do not all open? Check. atmospheric pacing? Check.......as for the 'shoddy combat' every preview done has talked about how improved combat is, so most are talking the OXM review with a grain of salt.

Moonloop
09-28-2008, 10:06 AM
These early reviews are usually insignificant regardless of the game that is reviewed.

plasmid303
09-28-2008, 02:46 PM
She complained about broken doors, and shoddy combat...said first half was slow and second half rocked.

What makes a Silent Hill game: doors that do not all open? Check. atmospheric pacing? Check.......as for the 'shoddy combat' every preview done has talked about how improved combat is, so most are talking the OXM review with a grain of salt.

Has she even played past games in the series? It makes me think she hasn't.

Morbo
09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Silent Hill is great. it's one of my all time favorite game series. Can't wait til this gets released, I just hope it is better that Silent Hill 4 the room, cos tht was a bit of a let down.

Furious1
09-29-2008, 06:12 AM
I agree, SH4 was a letdown, but I enjoyed Origins on the PSP and I'm hoping that this one will be good as well.

Matt S
09-29-2008, 08:40 AM
Has she even played past games in the series? It makes me think she hasn't.

She has, yes....She liked SH4 from what I remember, and that is considered the weakest installment by some.

Her review just seemed 'off'....but it does not concern me.

SimFeliz
09-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I was curious when it was coming out in Australia. On the Site I was looking at it has written:

“this game has currently been refused classification by the Classification Board. It has been reported that there may be an edited version to be released next year but at this stage nothing is confirmed”

Man this sucks. I hate censorship!!!

plasmid303
09-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I was curious when it was coming out in Australia. On the Site I was looking at it has written:

“this game has currently been refused classification by the Classification Board. It has been reported that there may be an edited version to be released next year but at this stage nothing is confirmed”

Man this sucks. I hate censorship!!!

I got some bad news for ya. You're right that it's been refused classification and is now temporarily on hold for release in Australia. The earliest you guys will get it seems to be 2009 (and no exact date either).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198219.html?sid=6198219&part=rss&subj=6198219

Anyway, it's only one day until SH: Homecoming is released (in the U.S.) and only 1 review?! I'm starting to worry that Konami hit many major review publications with an NDA until street date because they got a mediocre game on their hands. I really hope it's not the case.

Moonloop
09-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Anyway, it's only one day until SH: Homecoming is released (in the U.S.) and only 1 review?! I'm starting to worry that Konami hit many major review publications with an NDA until street date because they got a mediocre game on their hands. I really hope it's not the case.

Well most games that are not hyped up, the online reviews (mainly IGN and Gamespot) won't be up until the day of retail release (Wed), or maybe today if we are lucky. You can count on IGN having it up Wednesday, but gamespot usually takes the whole week to put up a review.

BadMoon
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Anyone have this in hand?

Moonloop
09-30-2008, 09:07 AM
REVIEWS
http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/silent_hill_homecoming_review_360_ps3_pc/

http://gamecinemahd.com/article/2008/09/26/silent_hillhomecoming_review

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3170245&p=4

Take them with a grain of salt.

Very few people will get this game today, very few. Like 1 out of 100

Matt S
09-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Here is a review: http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/silent_hill_homecoming_review_360_ps3_pc/ Gets an A :)

Here is another: http://gamecinemahd.com/article/2008/09/26/silent_hillhomecoming_review

Take them with a grain of salt.

Very few people will get this game today, very few. Like 1 out of 100

You beat me to it, and I plan on being that 1 darn it......ARGHHHHHHH!!! must play SH now......

(To hold me over for SH, I was playing force unleashed, and WOW - I love, love, love this game!!!!)

plasmid303
09-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Well most games that are not hyped up, the online reviews (mainly IGN and Gamespot) won't be up until the day of retail release (Wed), or maybe today if we are lucky. You can count on IGN having it up Wednesday, but gamespot usually takes the whole week to put up a review.

Sorry, no, I won't believe that. I know how this works (I write on my friend's website of which we just recently began doing game reviews), major - and some minor - publications like IGN and Gamespot got their copies of the game a while ago (I know Kotaku has had a test copy of SH:H since last week at the latest). The reviews would be out by now for most games, hyped up or not. Lego Batman had 4-5 reviews up already on Metacritic a couple days before release.

The review links you posted were good reads, though valid opinions, those aren't from big publications (UGO perhaps).

In any case, I'll be able to judge for myself tomorrow.

Moonloop
09-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry, no, I won't believe that. I know how this works (I write on my friend's website of which we just recently began doing game reviews), major - and some minor - publications like IGN and Gamespot got their copies of the game a while ago (I know Kotaku has had a test copy of SH:H since last week at the latest). The reviews would be out by now for most games, hyped up or not. Lego Batman had 4-5 reviews up already on Metacritic a couple days before release.

The review links you posted were good reads, though valid opinions, those aren't from big publications (UGO perhaps).

In any case, I'll be able to judge for myself tomorrow.

ok........well my point is that strictly the big guns, IGN and Gamespot do not post the reviews until the week of the release of the game. Now it if is a game like BIA, SH, Dead Rising, Forza, etc. Games like those never get their review posted any earlier than a day before release at the most. Again this seems to be the case for IGN and Gamespot, but all these other "unknown" websites posts the review ahead of time.

plasmid303
09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
It's not that cut and dry. Sure, a review of a big-brand game gets more hits if uploaded a week in advance, but the timing of reviews for smaller games isn't limited to just the day before or day of the game's release. It just bugs me that popular gaming sites like IGN and Gamespot hasn't gotten their SH:H reviews up yet. Actually, I couldn't care less about Gamespot's review, I haven't been back to that site since the Kane & Lynch fiasco.

Mega Man 9 review (http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/911/911740p1.html)

Infinite Undiscovery Review (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/902/902768p1.html) (big RPG from Square-Enix)

Battlefield: Bad Company review (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/882/882183p1.html)

Kotaku just put up their review of SH:H (http://kotaku.com/5056995/silent-hill-homecoming-review-hello-zombie-nurse). I'm relatively happy.

Matt S
09-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Kotaku is the review I was probably most curious about, aside from Gameinformer - I am happy with the comments made so far. All in all, sounds like a solid title...hit a couple of stores, hoping to find it today, but nada. Tomorrow for sure....

plasmid303
09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I wish it were out today, but it's fitting that we'll get our hands on it tomorrow (the first day of October). I love October, it's full of horror films and games.

darthviper107
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I wish it were out today, but it's fitting that we'll get our hands on it tomorrow (the first day of October). I love October, it's full of horror films and games.

Hell yeah, I'm looking forward to Saw V and Dead Space--it's going to be a pretty good month.

I want to check out this game--probably PC though, there's just something about playing PC games.

Moonloop
09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
IGN review is up: 6.7

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/915/915002p1.html

So IGN criticizes the game basically because it's not scary enough. And this Jeff Haynes that has been reviewing a lot of games on IGN recently gives bad scores, seems like if one thing in a game displeases him it automatically fails.

I can see gamespot being more fair and giving it a better review.

Fives
09-30-2008, 05:26 PM
just read the ign review nightcreeper posted, man it kinda sucks that they gave this game a low score, but they do have a point, limiting the characters abilities would have been a good move, instead youve got this badass rambo making short work of nurses and whatnot...despite what the review says, im looking forward to picking sh up. its been a while since i've played a sh game or a good survival horror game for that matter.

plasmid303
09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
I read the IGN review, and it seemed fair, and certainly in line with the other reviews for the game (OXM 6.5, Gamepro 3 stars). 1up/EGM gave the game a "B" grade, which converted to it's 10.0 scale is actually a 7.5.

I don't know why you would think GS would be more fair, Nightcreeper (not with the GS's recent history) -- maybe Gamespot will give the game a better score because Konami and Double Helix games are paying them extra for ad space?

I'm not defending Jeff Haynes' review, but it's not like he gave it a 5 or under. If a Silent Hill game isn't scary, it's not a true Silent Hill game. (seems like that's only one of SH:H's problems).

Dammit, I was hoping it'd turn out better so I could feel ok about dropping another $60 in such a full season for games...

Moonloop
09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
I don't know why you would think GS would be more fair, Nightcreeper (not with the GS's recent history) -- maybe Gamespot will give the game a better score because Konami and Double Helix games are paying them extra for ad space?

Well my personal opinion, I use to like IGN because I thought they were very fair in reviewing video games, and I disliked Gamespot because I believe they were very biased and unfair and were Sony lovers.

But recently I believe that things have changed, IGN now seems to be a bit less fair and sometimes downright insulting (and some games do deserve it), and Gamespot has seemed to become much more fair at reviewing games and their reviews seem to go along with the majority opinion.

Dammit, I was hoping it'd turn out better so I could feel ok about dropping another $60 in such a full season for games...

And yeah I agree about that, would have been nice to see a higher review from IGN.....but I am still getting the game, I love SH.

Matt S
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Reviews are fine and all, but I never base my decisions on other person's opinions.....

I am pumped for this game to be out...and will judge it for myself.

Sniper33
09-30-2008, 11:47 PM
i like to form my own opinion as well, but only place I somewhat pay attention to is gametrailers, but they have yet to review the game as of yet.

Moonloop
10-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Got the game, I got about 2 hours in...I am currently still searching around Shepard's Glen. I actually am digging the game so far, Gameplay is solid and the story so far is intriguing.

plasmid303
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Played about an hour or so of it. I love the transition effect from the real world to the otherworld/darkworld. It's one of the few things I thought the movie got right, and it works well for the game.

BadMoon
10-02-2008, 06:21 AM
I watched IGN's video review and thought it was pretty lame. I don't even own the game but come on. It is the same guy and his whiney nerd ass voice that bashes everything day in and day out. If I can figure out a way to afford it I will have to pick this up.

Matt S
10-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I played this for three hours, and all-in-all, its a Silent Hill game. The 'shepard's glen' level was a bit overly drab for my tastes, but god darn, those monsters are pretty awesome.

There is some heavy movie (visual) inspiration in this one, but the game play is taken from Silent Hill games all the way.

Your character still moves like a tank, but the camera is much, much improved...and way less annoying that past games.

Moonloop
10-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I watched IGN's video review and thought it was pretty lame. I don't even own the game but come on. It is the same guy and his whiney nerd ass voice that bashes everything day in and day out. If I can figure out a way to afford it I will have to pick this up.

Glad to know someone agrees with me about that guy.

Fives
10-02-2008, 12:55 PM
just played this game for an hour over my lunch break and man, am i glad i dont really care what the reviewers have to say. the game or what i've played so far is standard silent hill, its definately got the ambient sounds, atmosphere...the works.the character control is still a bit wonky but not frustartingly bad. like i said, i've only played it for like an hour maybe less but i'm pleased with the game so far. oh and having the main character be a badass really helps.

plasmid303
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Glad to know someone agrees with me about that guy.

I didn't even watch the video review. I stopped watching those after hearing reviewer Hilary Goldsteins voice. He sounds like David Spade.

I got a chance to play or a few more hours last night, and while I don't care for some of the combat functions, the game is fun.

BadMoon
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I didn't even watch the video review. I stopped watching those after hearing reviewer Hilary Goldsteins voice. He sounds like David Spade.

Yeah that guy is an A number 1 douche hole baggy bags. :lecture

BadMoon
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I think I am going to trade in that POS Star Wars game and get this.

The Josh
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
I think I am going to trade in that POS Star Wars game and get this.

Will you play this one for more than 30 mins. :lol

J/K

BadMoon
10-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Will you play this one for more than 30 mins. :lol

J/K

I really just didn't like it. :o

McHavyck
10-02-2008, 01:53 PM

let me know how much credit they'll give you for it.
i might be able to take it off your hands...had a lot of fun with the demo.

The Josh
10-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Thats fine. Was just trying to poke fun and make light of what happened. :duff

BadMoon
10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
let me know how much credit they'll give you for it.
i might be able to take it off your hands...had a lot of fun with the demo.

Hmm they said $25.00. I might try to sell it on here for a little more. I hate those cheap ass bastards. :banghead

Moonloop
10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I am at the part where you just went into the Attic and found something. Maybe about 4 hours in I would guess. Great so far, as I said before the gameplay is solid, story is good. While the game is not a 10 out of 10, I cannot find anything bad about it. It is a solid game.

Fives
10-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Hmm they said $25.00. I might try to sell it on here for a little more. I hate those cheap ass bastards. :banghead

tell me about it, i have a bunch of ps2 games i'm trying to get rid of but i'd rather sell them on ebay than go to ebgames or gamestop. prolly get like a buck for each game.

plasmid303
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM

If you're trading in with Gamestop, they give you an extra $10 if you trade in 2 PS3 or 360 games.

BadMoon
10-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Just picked it up. I can't wait to play it.

Matt S
10-04-2008, 04:36 PM
I am halfway thru Silent Hill and am playing on hard mode. I am in the sewers now, and am digging the general vibe of this very much. All in all, darn fine game.....Double Helix did a nice job with this one

I love Unleashed BTW - great game too!

BadMoon
10-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Still didn't have a chance to open this yet. Are you all still enjoying it?

Moonloop
10-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Yes I am, I beat it I got ending 2 (there are 5 total). I really liked it, it was a good horror game.

Matt S
10-06-2008, 12:06 PM

I am not at the docks of Silent Hill - about 10 hours and in and I still have a lont way to go...which I love

The bosses (I have played two thus far) are quite excellent. Without questions, these are the best boss battles in any Sh game to date (^^^^^, Sh4 really didn't have any so that one does not count)