RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK on the BIG-SCREEN!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Mirakle32

Super Freak
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to see this last night at the vintage Inwood theater in Dallas. It was without a doubt the GREATEST movie experience I've ever been to (**** THE DARK KNIGHT in IMAX.:whip) There it was, my favorite movie of all time on a giant screen, projected in all of its grainy, scratchy, 35mm film glory. The seats were really comfortable as they were actually couches complete with pillows, blankets and footrests. My father who was a huge Indy fan that saw RAIDERS back in '81, also had a great time.

I was surprised, as the theater was packed. (for some reason, I thought my dad and I would be the only ones.)

Also, I don't know if anyones ever noticed it, but it seems like some serious color correcting and tinting was done for the DVD release, as visually, the film's photography and coloring looked very different from what I was used to. I don't know if it was the film print's age, or if George was up to his old tricks again when the DVDs were produced.

If you've never seen RAIDERS before, or if you know it only from video and TV, this is the way it was meant to be seen. This is why they build movie theaters. I've seen the movie probably over a hundred times, and if I never watched ROTLA again, I would be completely satisfied by this experience.

1 screening of ROTLA = 3 or 4 screenings of any other new movie.

:rock

There are certain movies that require a large theatrical experience to fully appreciate it. RAIDERS is one of those. Just the immersive sound level alone -- for those bone-crunching punches -- makes the experience. And those wonderful extreme close-ups. Size does matter, and no home LCD in the world can match a 30 foot screen and a pitch black theater filled with fans. The energy...

I saw Raiders in the theater twice back in 1981. I'm old. :monkey2

:lol

I saw it like thirty times that summer. I had friends working the door at the theater, so everytime me and my friends had nothing to do we'd go in for free and watch part of Raiders. I think I actually sat thru it about nine times, but saw the truck chase like thirty times.

I even made my own super8 movie of it that summer. :lol

That's awesome. I would love to see this on the big screen again as well. My parents dragged me to see this when it first came out. I was 10 and had no interest whatsoever...until I realized that Indy was Han Solo and then I was hooked.

Oh my god you're so lucky!!!! The movie came out the year I was born so I've never seen it in a theater. Man I wish we had a vintage theater here.

a few years ago in toronto there was a screening of raiders and my buds and I were all excited and headed downtown to one of the independent theaters. The print must have been from 1981 and was missing probably 40% of the content.. but it was still cool to see it. During the idol scene near the beginning it jumped from Indy rubbing his chin to suddenly having the idol and running dodging the darts.. it became a joke after that of how bad the print was.

This is one of the films that I would want to see on the big screen. This film and the original Star Wars. I wish they would bring them back

The IMAX by me had a run of "Late Night at the MAX" and the showed Raiders on the big screen about 10 years ago. The showed Raiders at least 2-3 time and each was sold out.

Here are the following films i'd LOVE to see in theaters.

Alien
Aliens
Predator
Indy 1-3
Star Wars IV-VI(Non ^^^^ed with versions)
Kill Bill the entire movie.

All I could think of.

Oh my god you're so lucky!!!! The movie came out the year I was born so I've never seen it in a theater. Man I wish we had a vintage theater here.

It was really great. Intrestingly enough, it was the same theater I saw the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD for the 40th anniversary with George Romero, Malcolm McDowell, Ken Foree and the cast of the film.

After seeing RAIDERS, I would love to watch the following films on the big screen (in no particular order):

INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
BATMAN (1989)
SUPERMAN (1978)
DR. NO
GOLDFINGER
STAR WARS
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
ALIEN
GOJIRA '54
THE EVIL DEAD Trilogy
THE MUMMY (1932)
BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
KING KONG (1933)
HORROR OF DRACULA

Any related films would be cool, too.

I'd go for Batman 89 too. I'd see the first three classic Connery Bond flicks aswell. Wouldnt even consider seeing the other ones. Just not a fan of the older films. Appreciate them sure....but I cant get through them. Eh.

Filmmaking is my thing, so I enjoy good movies from every era. To me, a good movie is a good movie. I'm not a fan of pretentious, artsy, bull^^^^ flicks, just well-made entertainment.

Niether am I. I just dont care for the older ones. Just dont intrest me. Not really my style. Too slow....I like a middle ground of slow vs fast. Like Alien, or Aliens.

Sometimes you have to put yourself in the era to enjoy them. You don't watch a movie like Creature From The Black Lagoon and expect Hellraiser. Just because a movie is old doesn't mean it's slow. Look at King Kong. While the Peter Jackson film was well-made and looks great, the 1933 film tells the exact same story as the 2005 version, but does it in under 100 minutes, not drag every minor scene to be thirty minutes long.

I wish I saw ROTLA on the big screen. :(

I think the movie people will say "Man I wish I saw that in the theater" years from now will be Transformers

Sometimes you have to put yourself in the era to enjoy them. You don't watch a movie like Creature From The Black Lagoon and expect Hellraiser. Just because a movie is old doesn't mean it's slow. Look at King Kong. While the Peter Jackson film was well-made and looks great, the 1933 film tells the exact same story as the 2005 version, but does it in under 100 minutes, not drag every minor scene to be thirty minutes long.

It was slow to me. I can put myself in any era, but I still dont like them.

Back