2 upcoming Vietnam releases

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doomhammer

12 inch nightmare
Reaction score
I try to show you guys the cool stuff that I haven't seen discussed here yet since I figure at least some don't visit the military 1/6 sites often, so forgive me if this is old news:

Toy Soldier U.S.Army Special Forces Vietnam 1968
(A Weekend of Heros Special Edition)

200881620251609.jpg

Loads of pics here!

SoldierStory: MACV-SOG in action

1.jpg

Lotsa pics over here!

I have little choice but to buy both so I can use the gear to upgrade my Platoon series. The TS figures comes with the framed lightweight rucksack, and that awesome poncho, which would be great for Taylor.
As for the ST figure, I dare say that the M1956 LCE is even better than that of TS, which is long sold out anyways. And the Rescue Dawn HS is a great touch.
How does one manage to afford this hobby? :huh

Those are pretty sweet. I used to collect Vietnam era stuff when 21st Century/Ultimate Soldier first came out. I got burned out and don't collect military anymore.

Kinda sad I lost interest before the really high quality stuff came out, but its better on the wallet that way.

Very sweet! But i didn't know that they had the A2 version M4's in Viet Nam.

Edit - Is it just me, or does anyone else see a Scott Evil MACV-SOG?

Very sweet! But i didn't know that they had the A2 version M4's in Viet Nam.

Edit - Is it just me, or does anyone else see a Scott Evil MACV-SOG?

That's actually a AR-15 Colt Commando that the US Army Special Forces did use in Vietnam.
I like the Toy Soldier one the most, mainly for the poncho. Too bad that poncho is exclusive to Echo Base Toys.
There's so much great stuff coming out I just can't keep up with it!

That's actually a AR-15 Colt Commando that the US Army Special Forces did use in Vietnam.
I like the Toy Soldier one the most, mainly for the poncho. Too bad that poncho is exclusive to Echo Base Toys.

I know they had the short carbine, but didn't those hand gaurds come out in the late 70's-early 80's?

First time I've seen the WOH exclusive. Thanks for posting, it's a beauty. Both are must haves if you collect figures from the era.

I know they had the short carbine, but didn't those hand gaurds come out in the late 70's-early 80's?
It's difficult to determine this as all my books don't usually have pictures of the weapons, and there's many variants. Air Force Model Commando's (610) had no forward assist button. MACV-SOG Model Commando's (609) had the forward assist button.
Later models were improved with a slightly longer barrel, and a raised ridge guard called a fence around the magazine release button, as well as internal improvements.
Both the Air Force version and the Special Forces version had that round handguard you see with the figure. Although there was a version with a triangular handguard, I can't figure out what model it is.
I found this on the web. It's a US Army LRRP/Ranger with Late Model 609 in Vietnam:
6093341x505ri8.jpg

That's the same model the figure has.

Last edited:
It's difficult to determine this as all my books don't usually have pictures of the weapons, and there's many variants. Air Force Model Commando's had no forward assist button. MACV-SOG Model Commando's had the forward assist button.
Latter models were improved with a slightly longer barrel, and a raised ridge guard around the magazine release button as well as internal improvements.
The Air Force version does have a short triangular handguard.
The Special Forces version had that round handguard you see with the figure.
I found this on the web. It's a US Army LRRP/Ranger with Late Model 609 in Vietnam:
6093341x505ri8.jpg

Cool! Thanks for the info! I appreciate your effort checking that out!

Cool! Thanks for the info! I appreciate your effort checking that out!

No prob. I became curious about this myself.
I edited my above post with more accurate information.
The triangular handguard was actually used on the early model of the Commando, the 607:
607-3-sm-739x236.jpg

Lots of info about the Colt Commando can be found here:
https://www.retroblackrifle.com/index.html

Longgear and the MACV-SOG operator are sweet, and I'm all about the Army, but we also need some good Marines from the Vietnam era...

<embed src="https://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/393990/u_s_marines_in_vietnam.swf" width="400" height="345" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" pluginspage="https://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed><br><font size = 1><a href="https://www.metacafe.com/watch/393990/u_s_marines_in_vietnam/">U.S Marines In Vietnam</a> - <a href="https://www.metacafe.com/">For more amazing video clips, click here</a></font>

Isn't it actually the XM-177E1 released by Colt about mid-1967? :huh:

XM177.JPG

These are pretty cool. I wish there were some VC's to.

On a side note, I've got the Anderson Platoon on 16mm film but don't watch it much because it's sad seeing those kids getting killed.

Last edited:
Soldier's Story MACV-SOG is really a top notch figure. Can't believe I waited so long to scoop this guy up. The Type 56 alone makes this boxed set worth owning. Just wish it had a different head sculpt (no goatee). Still well worth the price of admission IMO.

I canceled my pre-order for the exclusive TS Longgrear for $140 at EBT. Glad I did considering I scored the exclusive on ebay for $102.50. I purchased several Longgrear items loose before I copped the entire set, to include the ruck and web gear. The gear looks great, just not as durable as SS or HT. I'm a sucker for all things 'Nam, so I knew both these guys would end up in my collection eventually.

Back