More news from ebay.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanfromindiana

Super Freak
Reaction score
Beginning in late October, we will no long allow checks or money orders as payment methods on eBay. Only approved electronic methods will be allowed. In January 2009, all accepted payment methods will be integrated into eBay Checkout. For buyers, this change means a more consistent and secure payment experience. For sellers, it means faster payment and fewer unpaid items. (Note this policy will not apply to Vehicles and some categories in Real Estate, Mature Audiences, and Business & Industrial).

What is funny is how they actually think that this is a positive. However, in their defense I think I read that only 10% of auctions are non paypal or credit card. So will it really matter? I really hate dealing with Ebay anyway, both buying and selling. I trust no one.

I'm gonna have to increase my shipping fees a tad bid to cover the paypal fees

I'm gonna have to increase my shipping fees a tad bid to cover the paypal fees

Limits on shipping and handling charges for some categories: Starting in October, limits on shipping and handling charges will be in effect for select categories. These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S. Sellers are required to offer at least one shipping option within the maximum and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping. Sellers can still use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs at or below the maximums or if their listings are not standardr—e.g., if you're selling an unusual large/ or heavy item, or a bundler—you can also use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs. See FAQs for more details.

Guess ebay doesnt like that they are missing out on getting payment fees from check/money orders.

Limits on shipping and handling charges for some categories: Starting in October, limits on shipping and handling charges will be in effect for select categories. These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S. Sellers are required to offer at least one shipping option within the maximum and may also offer other options above the maximums for expedited or international shipping. Sellers can still use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs at or below the maximums or if their listings are not standardr—e.g., if you're selling an unusual large/ or heavy item, or a bundler—you can also use the shipping calculator to charge actual costs. See FAQs for more details.

Shipping yes, but what about handling charges? People ^^^^^ about being charged $6 but actuall shipping was $5.45. They forget about cost of packing material, boxes and time spent boxing their stuff and standing in line shipping their package.

Shipping yes, but what about handling charges? People ^^^^^ about being charged $6 but actuall shipping was $5.45. They forget about cost of packing material, boxes and time spent boxing their stuff and standing in line shipping their package.

Not to mention the way USPS handles what THEY consider to be over sized.

why does everything seem to cater to the idiots. we have verbiage on coffee cups that says, "Caution HOT", bags have inserts that say "Do not place plastic bag over head" and now ebay feels the need to limit shipping charges. shipping costs are listed for the buyer to see so why do they bid if the think it's high? if a seller doesn't list or give you a shipping/handling price - don't bid. limit shipping costs in some categories? to cater to the idiots. i don't understand it, they are the weak link in society so let them wallow in their own filth.

rant over.

So how are they going to stop people from accepting checks?

After you bid/win them item it prolly only gives the option for payal? I dont know, I'm sure they wont have it all locked down like that.

I mean, If I sold a car on there, I'm sure as hell not going to let paypal hit me for fee's on 20 grand.

I actually read on Ebay some where that anything other then actual shipping charges should be figured into the listing price and this is their attempt to start enforcing inflated shipping charges from circumventing the fee system.

After you bid/win them item it prolly only gives the option for payal? I dont know, I'm sure they wont have it all locked down like that.

Then just don't use their checkout and send a seperate email with the info. There will be ways around it.

But the listing price has nothing to do with it. Any cost relating to shipping the item should fall completly on the shipping charges. That is what businesses do.

Back