Y: The Last Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Shia LaBeouf has his eye on big-screen adaptation of Y: The Last Man
By David Bentley on Jul 30, 08 09:21 AM in Film gossip

shialastman.jpg

SHIA LABEOUF has said he is keen to play the lead in a movie adaptation of the comicbook Y: The Last Man.

Director D.J. Caruso says he and screenwriter Carl Ellsworth will be delivering a script to Warner Bros this week and hope the film will be the start of a trilogy. The film deal was originally with New Line, which is now part of WB.

Caruso told ComingSoon he hopes to begin production in October and begin filming in January, giving time for 22-year-old LaBeouf to complete filming on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

The comicbook series, by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra and published by DC's Vertigo imprint, is set in 2002, when a mysterious disease suddenly kills every mammal with a Y chromosome: every male of every species. The only male survivors are a young escape artist called Yorick Brown and his capuchin monkey Ampersand. The pair discover on their travels the various ways that Earth's women are adapting to the aftermath of the plague and the threat of mankind's extinction.

Caruso, Ellsworth and LaBeouf previously worked together on the movies Disturbia and Eagle Eye.

Caruso said he felt he had finally cracked the story of Y to translate it to film successfully. He said: "There's so much to choose from. Just trying to narrow down the story, and in all the drafts written over the years there's a lot of great stuff in there, but what I think Y was missing in screenplay form was a ticking clock. So we did something where we separated Yorick from Ampersand for a brief period of time where Yorick gets very sick.

"I definitely see it as a trilogy. It's been hard, in a good way, just because there's so much good stuff to choose from.

"Shia wants to do it, I want to do it. The thing we have to worry about is him being exhausted. So I said if I prep in the fall and we start in January, that's a nice big break."

LaBeouf is currently recovering from surgery after he was injured in a car crash on Sunday. He was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving after his vehicle collided with a truck and has had "extensive surgery" to his head, hand and knee. He will miss a month of filming on the Transformers sequel while he recuperates.

Great casting choice. I'm curious to see how they would adapt this for film, since the series is so picaresque.

Never heard of it but it sounds good-man Y must one sore dude.

Damn, I thought Shia was confirmed on this since I heard they were gonna make Y into a movie like a year or so ago. Hmm..... I thought I heard about it when 30 Days of Night came out. It was big comic to movie news.

Damn, I thought Shia was confirmed on this since I heard they were gonna make Y into a movie like a year or so ago. Hmm..... I thought I heard about it when 30 Days of Night came out. It was big comic to movie news.

That's one of the problems with the hyper coverage we have today. Options and attachments wind up unmade far more often than not. I know everyone loves rumor and keeping up on the latest piece of information, but I would prefer to see this sort of "news" held until it actually is news (e.g. the film gets a green light).

I think Shia is a good choice for Yorick but I'm not sure Y the Last Man is a good choice for a film. You can see why Vaughn was tapped for Lost because it's written the same way - nothing happens for ages and then there's a single twist which seems shocking, but which only paves the way for nothing else to happen for a while. The climax is also completely out of left field and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the series, as if Vaughn felt the pressure to do something "important" but couldn't figure out what it would be. I don't see how you'd put it in a Hollywood film but supposedly he had two endings and picked one for the comic and one for the movie.

However the early issues are quite good and Yorick is an entertaining character, so this could be fun.

Yeah, I think Shia is a pretty good actor and have liked him in pretty much everything he has done. Loved Disturbia and Transformers. He was the better part of Indy for me and I can't wait to see what he does in Trans 2.

I think he will be a good match for Y.

I still don't understand the Lebouf hatred....I haven't read one good argument to counter his performances...

In Transformers and Indy, Shia took up a role that I thought, going into the movie, would be impossible to pull off without being groan-worthy, and was quite pleasantly surprised when it turn out pretty good.

I like shia , but his acting is kinda so/so.. in EVERY movie he plays himself just a scrappy loudmouth kid.. he never dissapears into his roles like he should..

Back