Gateway Drug to Collecting Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMoon

Demi G0D Overseer
Reaction score
Ok so I think we have talked about this from time to time. So lets try a poll. What was your gateway to whatever it is you are collecting now? I started with Star Wars toys. I then moved into McFarlane once I got older and then Gentle Giant. Then I discovered Sideshow and their 12 inch line. Finally I am now focusing my efforts on Sideshow PF's. So I guess McFarlane for me was the real gateway drug. Now how about you?

I guess I should say that this isn't a traditional poll since there are to many possibilitys.

Lets see... I'd start with Transformers, which led me to Hasbro Star Wars, which led me to Spawn. Then, my mom gave me 2 gifts on a birthday that would suck me into collecting... 1/6 Sideshow Freddy and Jason from FvJ.

Now, i'm poor. :lol

I was never a junkie until Spooktacular 2005. The overall atmosphere of Spooktacular combined with the enabling of this place (I was just a lurker then) made me a full blown figure and statue junkie.

Before Spook '05, I just smoked the occasional Hasbro Star Wars 5" MOC or McFarlane here and there, but nothing serious. Spook made me a junkie.

Those Argonath bookends.

13.gif

Hasbro to McFarlane, like most people.

I think SS Jedi Luke captured my attention in the 12" market...

and Hot Toys Batman Begins dirtied up my soul and squashed all inhibitions.

For me it all started sometime around 2000 when I purchased a Kenner SMDM on ebay. I collected the majority of Bionic Man items loose and mib. Having all the SMDM items I wanted, things got a bit dull, so I went on to Adventure Team GI Joe, then Dragon (some of modern figs and WW2), as well as vintage SW. That was the time when SS started bringing out the Bond line, and about a year or so later Jedi Luke was announced. I've sold off everything and now only focus on SSC, hence the sad addiction continues :)

McF's Alien & Predator Rehash line. The P1 did it for me. I had to start collecting something....I was JUST weening out of that Yu Gi Oh card crap so...

started with toy biz MARVEL LEGENDS (they were evil i tell ya...EVIL!!! :horror), SOTA street fighter, Mcf Spawn, then 1/6 crap....... im trying to quit 1/6 crap so i can only focus on Marvel PF :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

The Two Towers....and TORn. Clicked on one of their links to Sideshow. I've been addicted since.

Star Wars Vintage 3 3/4 inch figures got me started...

I started seriously collecting figures back in late 2006, I started small with the Jakks Pacific Rocky line. Somehow (don't remember how) I stumbled across the Sideshow Toys site and really the rest is history, the first piece I saw was a Jason Voorhees part 6 I think.

I was on vacation at the time so didn't really have time to search, when I got back I went to a local scalp shop and found some T2 and Friday Sideshow pieces, i've been hooked ever since.

Now i've collected figures in the past, Star Wars mid 90's, McFarlane early 2000's but this stuff just stuck!

I think it's important to note that majority of us here all collected when we were kids of course. I omitted all things collected prior to age of 16, which excludes He-Man, GI Joe, Star Wars, Muscle, Smurfs, etc.

I think it's important to note that majority of us here all collected when we were kids of course. I omitted all things collected prior to age of 16, which excludes He-Man, GI Joe, Star Wars, Muscle, Smurfs, etc.

I did the same. However, if you want to get into that I had HE-MAN, Thundercats, GI JOES, M.A.S.K figures, Transformers and so on. LOL!

I did the same. However, if you want to get into that I had HE-MAN, Thundercats, GI JOES, M.A.S.K figures, Transformers and so on. LOL!

Agreed. I think the real question is: "What was your gateway drug that got you back into collecting, well after you stopped buying/playing with toys as a kid?

then again, maybe some here never quit.

Back